Ray Of Light 15th Anniversary Thread

cosmic_system

Is it true that the Frozen promo single that was sent to DJs was frozen in a block of ice and had to be melted in order to be played?

Is it true that the Frozen promo single that was sent to DJs was frozen in a block of ice and had to be melted in order to be played?

Jesus if that's true that's incredible

LOVE the entire ROL era, but I have to admit that I was happier after Madonna released the Music album & combined in an unusual way--- electronic dance with some American country influence. Music felt like Madonna was returning once again to her roots on the dance floor, but several of the songs are also quite experimental & catchy at the same time.

What happened to her???

Lola punched her. It was all over the news. If this happens nowadays we would be certain that she may have had some plastic surgery :lol:

Nothing Really Matters was released 14 years ago today.

tumblr_mj1eetVrr51qzwglbo1_100.jpgtumblr_mj1eetVrr51qzwglbo2_100.giftumblr_mj1eetVrr51qzwglbo3_100.jpg

tumblr_mj1eetVrr51qzwglbo4_100.giftumblr_mj1eetVrr51qzwglbo7_100.jpgtumblr_mj1eetVrr51qzwglbo5_100.gif

tumblr_mj1eetVrr51qzwglbo9_100.jpgtumblr_mj1eetVrr51qzwglbo6_100.giftumblr_mj1eetVrr51qzwglbo8_100.jpg

I loved ROL since day one, but in a way because it sounded more like Bjork (who I was obsessed with) than Madonna. However, NRM was my little guilty pleasure - it has a Deeper and Deeper vibe and sounded like her (except for the lyrics).

Anyway, awesome song. The video is perhaps my favorite from that era.

I think it's iTunes' fault. Most albums released recently sound quite shitty compared to old ones.

Anyone heard MDNA on vinyl? It would be a good way to know if indeed the problem is itunes or the sound engineer. I can tell you that the physical CD copy of MDNA doesn't sound better BUT it's also true I've only listened to it in a car, and not a proper sound system.

Frozen is the reason why I'm here on this board discussing her and blasting the cheap and fraudulent wannabes. :lmao:/> It was a life-changing experience. The song and the video. My favourites to this day.

Amen! Although mine is Revolver (edit: joke!).

I loved ROL since day one, but in a way because it sounded more like Bjork (who I was obsessed with) than Madonna. However, NRM was my little guilty pleasure - it has a Deeper and Deeper vibe and sounded like her (except for the lyrics).

I remember hearing snippets from the forthcoming album and thinking NRM was the 'token' Madonna dance track, complete with Nikki and Donna.

I love the video too. She was trashed for her look at the time but I think it's held up well.

I hated Frozen when it was first released. It's ok now, but it's not a favourite. Ray Of Light should have been the first single without a doubt that was a massive mistake the album and song would have been much bigger IMO

^ I really don't think it could have done any better. "Frozen" was a huge radio hit.

Funny, I've always equated NRM with Bjork's "Alarm Call." I'm not sure why. They have a similar sound in some way? I can also picture M singing AC.

Frozen is the second Madonna song i have memory of having listened! I had no idea it had been sent to stations packed in dry ice! Nos THAT'S a wonderful marketing idea in my opinion. From the ROL album I also love The Power of Good-bye, I think I even like it more than Frozen.... I would love to see it being performed live in a tour!

Frozen is also the reason I became a Madonna fan. I was completely taken by the breathtaking video, the greater-than-life music, especially those percussions, and Madonna's voice... I stayed under this enchantment all the way through Music and American Life. Then, with Confessions, it all kind of started to cool off. I loved it, yes, but it wasn't the same. Then HC and MDNA came and... well... I'm still here, so I love the woman :laugh: , but I will never forget the excitement of buying the Frozen single. I was 14 years old then....

I remember hearing snippets from the forthcoming album and thinking NRM was the 'token' Madonna dance track, complete with Nikki and Donna. I love the video too. She was trashed for her look at the time but I think it's held up well.

oh, definitely. In the scheme of what's happening now, with all these Lessers borrowing from drag and cartoon characters to keep their image "unique" - Madonna's look for NRM still feels current. As does the quirkiness of the video, which is now standard in videos from Lessers.

^ I really don't think it could have done any better. "Frozen" was a huge radio hit. Funny, I've always equated NRM with Bjork's "Alarm Call." I'm not sure why. They have a similar sound in some way? I can also picture M singing AC.

Yeah! Also, Mer Girl and Headphones are "cousin" songs to me :)

Frozen was always amazing and still is.

Shocked that some people never liked it.

Even my Madonna-hating friends thought it was very good.

I have a friend who hates everything related to pop music, but every time I put Froz\en on, he asks "who is this again? Nice song". It only happens to Frozen.

Seriously, anyone hating Frozen have some serious issues. How the fuck can you hate such beautiful and hauting work of ART? Some people just have shitty taste, it seems... :megamanson:

I have a friend who hates everything related to pop music, but every time I put Froz\en on, he asks "who is this again? Nice song". It only happens to Frozen.

Seriously, anyone hating Frozen have some serious issues. How the fuck can you hate such beautiful and hauting work of ART? Some people just have shitty taste, it seems... :megamanson:

Agreed, Frozen is hands down the most masterfully crafted musical output of her career. The myterious electronica, the epic and grand thunderous drums, the orgasmic swell and rise of the haunting orchestra. It's pure perfection in my book and certainly something she has yet to even come close to rivaling.

I remember at the time there were a few unexpected people praising "Frozen." One was Tori Amos. While she's always seemed to be a fan (she's covered many of M's songs in concert over the years), she had previously made a disparaging comment about M's songs/songwriting (ironically, it was similar to what M had said about Mariah in 1995 - something about how anyone could write a pop song like "Crazy for You"). Here's the quote:

The spell is broken when Madonna's Frozen comes on the radio. "I love this song!" Amos squeals. "It makes me want to..." Amos trills an operatic version of Madonna's spiritual opus, then clamps a hand over her mouth as Saturday-afternoon shoppers turn their heads her way.

-- Tori; Rolling Stone Magazine, Jun 25, 1998

The other was Tommy Mottola, who had recently gotten divorced from Mariah. I can't find the quote or article (maybe someone else can?), but if memory serves me, Tommy, Madonna, and Mariah were all at the same industry event and Tommy went up to Madonna and said "Frozen is a great song" or something like that. I could be getting the details wrong, but he said something like that to someone in front of Mariah.