Ray Of Light 15th Anniversary Thread

cosmic_system

In many ways, ROL felt like M's second debut album

I agree. It was the benchmark of her career for the years to follow.

I don't think she would have a career today if it wasn't for ROL. It totally revamped her music. It made her last more than any other popstar ever had been until that point. After 16 years making music it was her first true Grammy recognition. The list of achievements is so long that it's easily one of the greatest pop moments in music history.

I was in my early teens (and more into teeny pop :lol: ). I loved all the singles. I even wrote lyrics Frozen and The Power of Goodbye on a notebook of my favorite songs ever back then. I listened the album from a friend and my stupid brain did not understand it. :rotfl: Many years later, I listened to it again for the 2nd TIME and helped me become the fan I am now. :lol:

Guest groovyguy

Such memories. Weeks before the album was released, I got to listen to the whole album in a friend's office at Warner. Was stunned by ROL and fell in love with TPOG after 2 listens.

In many ways, ROL felt like M's second debut album;

I have often thought that, and it gets weirder when you consider things like Confessions, the fourth album in that series then, was this big change with a reflexive look at 70s music and lots of introspective lyrics yet solid pop hooks, written with her tours' musical director, Hard Candy was this dance-ish album about relationships with two producers who sort of fulfill each other, marketed with an aggresive sexuality, MDNA is this higgledypiggledy mess packed with great tracks but no real solid style. I've always found those parallels to LaP, Erotica and BS fascinating, and it just keeps leading me to wonder, are we in for another huge reinvention next time around?

Such memories. Weeks before the album was released, I got to listen to the whole album in a friend's office at Warner. Was stunned by ROL and fell in love with TPOG after 2 listens.

I'm happy you came back! I missed you!

as said already many times over, throughout ROL era, she never put a foot wrong. the music, video's, imagery, performances, artwork, even the font dammit! Everything seemed perfectly in symmetry with the album, and it was great to have a Madonna record so universally critically acclaimed. i remember listening to it for the first time, and i just sat in awe for the whole hour from start to finish.

i hope we dont have to wait ten years for a 'remastered deluxe' version of ROL. I go weak at the knees just thinking about CD2 [unreleased tracks/demos/mixes].

A truly brilliant time to be a Madonna fan... i hope she forgoes being #1 of the 'highest tour earners' list this year and takes some time again to make a record of the stature and sheer brilliance of Ray Of Light.

I remember the first time I listened to the album (I think I had to go into my suite-mate's room because my roommate was napping - very annoying), TPOG and NRM were the two tracks that stood out as the strongest melodically. I remember thinking they could be big hits.

where do you have been????? :brenspin:

At first I was so disappointed with the first single coz I wanted a grand Madonna-brand DANCE song.. but it took no time for me to be totally entranced by Frozen esp. after seeing the amazing video.

In 2008 MTV opened their vaults and a shit ton of unseen footage from the UltraSound interview was released. It is also on YouTube, I just do not have the time to search it out right now...totally worth seeking out of you have never seen it.....esp the unaired extenstion of the Frozen video filming. A lot of the in-studio banter between she and the crew is also a lot of fun, something only briefly seen on the edited airing.

I remember having an advance copy on tape a month before the album release and being in the subway and feeling like a fucking priviledged bitch. My copy did not have "To have and not to hold" though but "Has to be" instead. I wore out this tape ! I listened to it non stop for a month.