Why is she so resistant to playing the hits properly?

Apples388

I really wish Madonna would stop trying to cater to the masses and plays smaller venues from here on out where she can just perform and do whatever she wants without worrying about whether or not "casual" fans get upset that she doesn't do the hits or comes out an hour too late.

Anyone who wasn't impressed by the MdNA tour is an idiot who should just go to the cirque de soleil or visit las Vegas and watch Celine Dion perform the hits

I love you.

I really wish Madonna would stop trying to cater to the masses and plays smaller venues from here on out where she can just perform and do whatever she wants without worrying about whether or not "casual" fans get upset that she doesn't do the hits or comes out an hour too late.

Anyone who wasn't impressed by the MdNA tour is an idiot who should just go to the cirque de soleil or visit las Vegas and watch Celine Dion perform the hits

Yes, but if she played smaller venues, she wouldn't be able to put on the elaborate over the top shows that she does currently. That requires a large venue and selling a large number of tickets to support because it is expensive.

I think she can find the balance between playing newer material and still doing older hits that people grew up with know and love. Too far in either direction is bad, a pure greatest hits tour or a show of all new unfamiliar material. I like a balance between the two.

Yes, but if she played smaller venues, she wouldn't be able to put on the elaborate over the top shows that she does currently. That requires a large venue and selling a large number of tickets to support because it is expensive.

I think she can find the balance between playing newer material and still doing older hits that people grew up with know and love. Too far in either direction is bad, a pure greatest hits tour or a show of all new unfamiliar material. I like a balance between the two.

I wouldn't mind oldies if they were a good balance of pre- and post-Erotica tracks. Her late 90's and early 00's stuff is superior than her 80's songs imo and sadly those are the ones she's been ignoring for a long time.

People leave early because Madonna is notoriously late going on. The last time, I was in Boston (MDNA), Madonna was nearly 21/2 hours late. I actually left half way through Celebration and it wasn't because I didn't enjoy the show. I was worried that I would miss the T and not be able to catch a cab. I am a huge fan and would never "choose" to leave a Madonna concert early. The MDNA Tour was very good (IMHO) but I can see how Gang Bang and Revolver were not what general people expected. As far a showmanship, Madonna was spot on. The tour was dark and seemed more like Drowned World than Who's that Girl but it was a spectacle so I doubt people left early because she failed to include enough 80's hits. M- just needs to get her ass out on stage in a more reasonable time frame.

I wouldn't mind oldies if they were a good balance of pre- and post-Erotica tracks. Her late 90's and early 00's stuff is superior than her 80's songs imo and sadly those are the ones she's been ignoring for a long time.

This I agree with 100 percent. Her set lists for the last several tours have mostly been a combination of what's new (at the time) and 80s hits. (And "Human Nature" ...) She was consistently scoring top 10 hits up through 2002. She has a big catalogue of hits from the 90s and 00s that could get casual fans on their feet.

I said this in a thread on the new tour months ago, but this is the year to let her 90s work shine. "Rebel Heart" touches on so many 90s sounds and calls back to her own 90s catalogue -- and the 90s in general are so retro cool right now. I'm kind of shocked she's not dropping hints on Instagram about more songs from "Erotica," "Bedtime Stories" and "Ray of Light."

It's a tragedy that "Secret" has only been featured on one tour and "Take a Bow" has never been done.

The problem is a lot of the 1990's stuff tends to be slower and she went through that AC period. That doesn't work too well in a larger venue.

The problem is a lot of the 1990's stuff tends to be slower and she went through that AC period. That doesn't work too well in a larger venue.

Yeah that's true. And she did Evita stuff when she wanted to slow things down. Now she has several new ballads...

However, Secret is a song that could be reinvented into anything. Of ALL the hits she's been ignoring in the past decade, it's the most puzzling for me. I can understand True Blue, Cherish, all the 90s ballads like The Power Of Good-Bye but not Secret. :(

She does a fair number of downtempo songs each tour and, looking across this board, it seems to me that people here want to "Devil Pray" and "Inside Out" and other uptempo tracks done live. I don't think I've seen anyone say they're dying to see "Wash All Over Me" or "Heartbreak City." She could jettison those songs from the set and fill the holes with "Take a Bow" or "You'll See" or "I'll Remember."

And even if she needed more uptempo numbers, this is Madonna. She could re-invent "Secret" into a disco dance number and everyone in the arena would die of a gay coma. It would be fabulous.

^ Oh Edinburgh was a travesty, dannyboy :( Very unlucky that was your first show, another one would've been much better.

Apart from the two songs obviously being cut, I didn't think it was that bad?

Now I just want to see as many new tracks performed as possible because RH continues to grow on me.

At the same, will be happy just to see M again... unless she performs Human nature and candy shop. lol

Human Nature is performed for M and M alone. Let her have a song that brings her life. The whole experience will benefit from M being charged and alive. Besides, I love the song and I love that it gives her life. It certainly is a "Rebel" song.

Edited by sul8323

Madonna---MDNA-Tour---Hung-up---Abu-Dhab

Madonna---MDNA-Tour---Hung-up.jpg

Madonna---MDNA-Tour---Hung-up---Florence

OMG Where are the disco balls? Why is she not wearing a leotard? Why is there blood? Where's the boa? WHERE'S THE RAINBOW FLAG!?!??!?!?

:lmao:

poor rubbish gheys! :chuckle:

She said it in an interview during the Girile Show that she is not intrested in just doing the album versions cause you can just buy a record and listen to the same thing. And I also believe she is simply getting bored of her old stuff.

She said it in an interview during the Girile Show that she is not intrested in just doing the album versions cause you can just buy a record and listen to the same thing. And I also believe she is simply getting bored of her old stuff.

She's made comments like this multiple times

She said it best on the S&S DVD bonus feature doc

Imagine all the amazing things we would've missed out on had she listened to all these silly gays and the general public who just want to hear the hits and album version of hers songs

lav.jpg

ct4_4.jpg

Imagine all the amazing things we would've missed out on had she listened to all these silly gays and the general public who just want to hear the hits and album version of hers songs

lav.jpg

ct4_4.jpg

So true!!!

LAV BIT is her ultimate re-creation of an album track ever. All versions since (perhaps bar the CT version) have been lacklustre. The performance of LAV on the MDNA tour was breathtaking, but the arrangement of the song not so much.

I adore the Dietrich Like a Wurgin

And the ending with Falling in Love Again is beautiful

Me too. I like every version given. From the original to the great recreation of BAT, to the Dietrich sensation to Stuart Price's revamped version, to the melancholy from MDNA. Everytime it's like another dimension.

Other songs didn't have such good versions, but LAV has always been spotless.

Ok babies, one thing. I'm all for reinventions and everything. Yes, i like them. But i would send Madonna this mental message. I want to go directly on her brain to tell her: MADONNA, PLEASE, I WANT EXACTLY THE BEAUTIFUL 1.00 TO 1.20 FROM THE EXTENDED VERSION OF WHO'S THAT GIRL. UNDERSTOOD? YES, THOSE 20 SECONDS LIKE THAT.

I always thought that they were so PSP, no wonder they wrote Heart to give it to her, they were incredibly near just then. Those 20 seconds were later devoloped by PSP into Domino Dancing.

I liked the MDNA tour, but a few things that happened during that tour might have turned casule fans off for future tours.

1) late starts, if your ticket says 8 you should be on stage by 9 or 9:15. I heard plenty of people bitching about her tardiness, and it wasn't just a few shows it was all of them.

2) the violence within the shows was disturbing to alot of people. I personally wasn't bothered by it.

3) Setlist could have been stronger. The problem is although the show was very enjoyable if you swapped a few songs for more hits of fan favorites if would have been even better. I could have done without revolver, I'm addicted, and I'm a sinner.

lav.jpg

ct4_4.jpg

Ugh flawless queen of life isn't it henny??? Dead right now.

I'm surprised at fans who want her to do album versions. I'd understand casual fans or the general public to feel like that, but fans? Her re-inventions are awesome. I find them exciting, new, fresh, and inspiring.

I'm surprised at fans who want her to do album versions. I'd understand casual fans or the general public to feel like that, but fans? Her re-inventions are awesome. I find them exciting, new, fresh, and inspiring.

Aaaaaamen!