Why is she so resistant to playing the hits properly?

Apples388

Guest bluejean

She sounds horrible in Mer Girl on the DWT. But that whole Mer Girl/Sky Fits Heaven sequence is one of her greatest performances ever!

Try and imagine Gaga, Britney, Kylie, Beyonce, Katy Perry etc doing that. They just couldn't.

Guest bluejean

:lol: On the flip side try and imagine Madonna in that meat dress thing being put into a meat grinder.

It's like a scene from an amateur theatre version of Sweeny Todd

I want to hear the album versions of hits played using real instruments a la "Bad Girl" and "Fever" on Saturday night. . . or at least like on the Girlie Show.

:)

yes! I keep imagining an acoustic (and by that I just mean non electronic, proper full band) version of Celebration mixed with I Just Want to Celebrate with a massive sexy bassline

I want to hear the album versions of hits played using real instruments a la "Bad Girl" and "Fever" on Saturday night. . . or at least like on the Girlie Show.

:)

Well, you know that if Madonna heard that, she would say "Then watch the Girlie Show and those performances again!"

Guest bluejean

I say she take it a step further & wear her old clothes when performing the classics; we all want to see M sporting some hair-bows and bracelets, admit it.

No.

I didn't read this thread, but if you want to hear the classics, just pop the CD in your CD player and enjoy. I love watching her visual/theatrical interpretations to her own songs.

I'm sure a lot of the queens around here hated Hung Up in MDNA because it wasn't faggy frivolous fun; I thought it was perfect.

LOL ULIZOS !

I love Madoona for turning the gaylicious disco Hung up to this dark piece about God and spiritual experience. Only Madonna :dramatic:

Well, you know that if Madonna heard that, she would say "Then watch the Girlie Show and those performances again!"

Then I would say, well how does that help me with wanting to hear the songs/hits recorded after that concert, including MDNA.

This topic has been beat to smitherens lately, but I think it is pretty clear that the next tour has to be a turning point:

MDNA was a massive success, but the general customer base has been turned off (late starts, unfamiliar songs dominating the setlist) so unless they are promised a decent showtime start and songs they know, they won't shell out the high prices to see her on the next go round, esp since seeing her live is not as rare as it once was, she has toured consistently for the last decade.

I think Madonna did a good job mixing the new with the old on MDNA, I mean hell, EY, Vogue, LAP, and even the abbreviated PDP were as if someone popped in the IC and pressed play, what more could the casuals ask for? It isn't like every single oldie was over-reinvented, only a few.

I think she is going to have to suck it up as a business woman and give the masses what they want in order to finish out the stadium tour contract with the big sales and then relish herself as an artist and her die hard fans by doing what she really wants later on, smaller venues, self and fan indulgent setlists, etc.

If the next album fails to produce any relatively familiar tracks for the casuals (85% of the audience) then she will have to deliver more of what is demanded or suffer to playing less-than-sold out crowds.

The late starts pissed people off the most, I think the overwhelming visuals of her tours supercede the setlist and casuals are far more willing to put up with unfamiliar material than wait 2.5-3.5 hours after the printed ticket time for the show to begin.

I think is all about the money. M wants to promote the songs that she owns. I heard she does not own the right of a lot of the old songs because she didn't write them. All the newer songs we co-written by m herself. :)

She has no writing credit in Holiday but that one is wheeled out on a regular basis. She doesn't like Material Girl and some others as she doesn't identify with the songs anymore. Secondly, she's more likely to sell more tickets if people know they are going to hear hits rather songs they don't know but were written by her. Also, if you look at MDNA, there are multiple writers for many of the tunes. The majority of her back catalogue has her as a co-writer so she would better off playing older hits where there were fewer writers if money was such a concern.

So, I don't think it's a financial thing that decides the set list. It's relevance to the theme of the show and whether she likes them.

also whether she remembers them. I wonder if she would be able to name half the tracks off any given album... not because she's useless but because she very much puts each album behind her because they're kind of like diaries for different parts of her life

I honestly think by the time she hits the road again, the late start times will be a distant memory. Although she DID take it to another level with MDNA, her late starts have been a complaint for at least the prior 2 tours. Whether she includes more hits on the setlist next time won't be known until the show is about to kickoff.....which is usually MONTHS after tix go on sale. She seems to sell a massive amount of tix immediately as soon as they are available without anyone knowing the setlist, I can't see that changing too much next time around.

I honestly think by the time she hits the road again, the late start times will be a distant memory. Although she DID take it to another level with MDNA, her late starts have been a complaint for at least the prior 2 tours. Whether she includes more hits on the setlist next time won't be known until the show is about to kickoff.....which is usually MONTHS after tix go on sale. She seems to sell a massive amount of tix immediately as soon as they are available without anyone knowing the setlist, I can't see that changing too much next time around.

Yes, people will want to see her just to see how she presents her music with the theatrical aspects, dancing, costumes etc. Her not doing more hits might be a problem if she just stood there and sang the songs but she doesn't.

On the prior tours, she didn't start at the time on the ticket but not as late as the MDNA tour. The response to the late starts on this tour was overdone and hysterical, but I do think she should start a little earlier, although not at 8 as it says on the ticket. Didn't on S&S, she start around 9:30 or 9:45? To me, that is a perfect time. 8 would be too early, because a lot of people wouldn't have time to go home after work, change clothes, have dinner etc, and get there before it started. I need time to relax after work, I don't want to have to go directly to the venue right after work. Also, that way the show would be over around 11 or 11:30 or so and you would still have time if you want to go out to a bar or club after the show. Some people like to make a whole evening of a Madonna concert, because it's a special occasion. With some of the shows ending so late on this tour, you don't have time to do stuff after the show.

• 1 month later...

I have to agree with what others have said about the next tour being different. There was a tremendous amount of bad press around this tour -- and I do believe that will impact future sales. A totally anecdotal example of that:

In 2008, a group of girls that I went to college with and I all wanted to meet up in NYC for Sticky and Sweet. (We are all live in the northeast, so NYC makes for an easy meet-up.) We couldn't make it happen and everyone was bummed. But we did all come together at my place one time when everyone was in town to watch the S&S DVD -- we drank wine and had a blast. We vowed to see her live together the next time she toured.

Last year, we tried again, but we couldn't pull it together this time either. Everyone was bummed. But then with the constant negative press -- the mixed reviews, the lack of hits, the news stories about sky high ticket prices and the late start times, etc. -- and more than one has said "Thank God we didn't waste our money." Now, one cares to have a DVD watch party and no one is interested in seeing live next time around. These are eight late-20-something women -- AKA the only people in America who still buy her music, besides gay men -- and not a single one is particularly interested in checking out the next tour. That's a problem.

I agree that Madonna is not the sort of artist who caters to the crowd -- she caters to herself to build what she thinks is the best show possible. But she took putting her wants over her fans' wants to some great lengths in 2012. She can't really afford to do it again. Her fanbase has shrunk considerably from 2000 / 2001 and is shrinking still -- at an ever-growing pace. She's going to need to give fans something if she's going to keep selling out stadiums and arenas. She doesn't need to become a full-on "legacy act," a la Cher or the Rolling Stones, but she needs to find a happy medium.

I should also add -- I think one of the most infuriating things about the lack of hits is that she has SO MANY.

She has almost 40 top 10 hits in the United States -- a market that has been exceptionally difficult for her in the past 10 years.

With a catalog like that, she could do a straight-up hits-only tour in 2014 -- and then turn around and another straight-up hits-only tour in 2016, and her '16 setlist need not feature a single song from the '14 setlist for everyone to still be able to sing along. So, the fact that she limits herself to four or six every few years is infuriating.

Eh, the bad press will be an obscure memory by the time she goes back on tour. The media these days deposes of news stories so quickly that it really doesn't matter tbh. Everyone will have forgotten. Madonna isn't a 6th grader - she's a veteran and the goobers who made a stink about CUSTOMER SERVICE won't go to the tour next time around, only to be replaced with a bunch of delighted young phaggots who don't give a shit.

Guest Not4Pussies

I didn't read this thread, but if you want to hear the classics, just pop the CD in your CD player and enjoy. I love watching her visual/theatrical interpretations to her own songs.

I'm sure a lot of the queens around here hated Hung Up in MDNA because it wasn't faggy frivolous fun; I thought it was perfect.

LMAO my thoughts exactly, i loved Hung Up on MDNA, the visuals, the lyrics, she was singing to god and mr ritchie