Why is she so resistant to playing the hits properly?

Apples388

Guest bluejean

If she can combine the two it would be good. And I do believe she can. I think Reinvention seemed uninspired because she was forcing songs in that didn't really fit into the themes especially in the last section. It wouldn't have to be like that, I can think of plenty of hits that would have fitted in nicely into MDNA. It wouldn't require 80% hits, more like 50-60%. This last tour was probably what 25%?

Of the 19 songs that Madonna performed in the original set list (i.e. not counting the interludes, LS or "Holiday"), 8 were hits prior to S&S:

Like A Virgin

Papa Don't Preach

Open Your Heart

Like A Prayer

Express Yourself

Vogue

Human Nature

Hung Up

42%

If we add the interludes, it's still 42%.

If we add "Love Spent", it drops to 41%. Adding "Holiday" bumps it up to 43%.

To answer the question I believe she is just sick of hearing her old songs.

Imagine how many times she has listened to them in the studio or rehearsed them for tours, soundchecks, performances etc.

Didn't she rehearse Hung Up for the MTV awards something like 30 times? I read a quote somewhere from someone to that effect.

I love her reinventions, admittedly not the guitar reinventions except for maybe I Don't Give, I love New York and Candy Perfume Girl.

Hated that PDP was cut the way it was for MDNA and I really can't see why she had to do that, it's quite irritating really that she decided to do that. Even after seeing the crowd reaction to the song throughout the duration of the tour she STILL kept it at 90 seconds. Would it have killed her to do an edited version of it? Just Madonna on the catwalk singing one of her best known hits. I LOVED the renivented Hung Up on MDNA, just loved it but as she was too far away from the crowd you couldn't really see her so I always felt it should have been performed as an interlude in the place of Best Friend with all the elements in place bar Madonna herself. Loved EY, Vogue and LAP although they were just a little lazy in their choreography but were expertly staged and executed. I loved S&S from start to finish, I think it's one of her best tours ever and is even better now, four years later, she looks phenomenal and dances like an absolute fucking demon. Like a Prayer, Vogue and Into The Groove are possibly her best reinventions EVER! MDNA is a mix of everything that we love about Madonna, the sets, drama and theatrics of BA with the soul and backbone of GS and the presentation and technology of CT. Reinvention was amazing in it's time and lets not forget that we ALL loved it and it looks fucking awesome on a big screen during IGTTYAS but it had it's flat moments, Material Girl, Burning Up, Imagine. Her singing was impeccable however. Drowned World is just pure theatre and art but why the hell was there no Nothing Really Matters or more tracks from Bedtime Stories and it has it's boring moments like the overlong Nobodies Perfect and the WTF moment Mer Girl, both could have done with an edit and Mer Girl dropped entirely as it's boring and she sings it horribly. The only thing that saves it is the amazing video of her as a Geisha getting assaulted. The teaser of Open Your Heart at the start of NP is just cruel and unnecesarry.

Well I loved reinvention because I got to see songs performed I never imagine she would do again and that was amazing. However, what does really irritate me is eg on Stick and Sweet request some nights she sing Express Yourself and then say "ok enough of that shit" (Cardiff). Well that shit is what made you famous and what always gets the most response of the night so embrace it and don't diss old songs. Respect your work a bit more.

And sing bloody Bad Girl!!!

Guest bluejean

Well she did. She did it in full on MDNA :lol:

Plus that is her sense of humour. Like when she finished Celebration and would say "We are done with this shit" or whatever it was.

Guest bluejean

Didn't she rehearse Hung Up for the MTV awards something like 30 times? I read a quote somewhere from someone to that effect.

The amount of times an artist rehearses a song would greatly exceed 30 times. I don't think they get sick of them so much as they don't feel the meaning behind some songs anymore. They're in a different stage of life.

I could never get sick of the songs that have made me bazillions of dollars! hahahah

+1! Everyone usually hates their work at some point and there are far far more demanding jobs out there such as teachers, doctors, nurses and care etc but if you knew for two hours doing same thing you'd get 1 million plus damn right we'd be rehearsing in lounge before hand!

Guest Rachelle of London

+1! Everyone usually hates their work at some point and there are far far more demanding jobs out there such as teachers, doctors, nurses and care etc but if you knew for two hours doing same thing you'd get 1 million plus damn right we'd be rehearsing in lounge before hand!

exactly!

I just hope she sings LAP on the next tour, otherwise i'll never see it live.

If the next tour comes to Australia and LAP is not part of the setlist, I'll use my contacts to bombard Guy to get her to an accoustic version for her long-suffering Australian fans who have neve seen it live lol

Like someone said before It's fear!! she constantly tries to prove herself being able to stay on top be creative an reinvent herself.

She thought she did someting new with mdna music wise but she was 2 years too late and people didnt seeem to bother her new album. I ve never been to a M concert where the crowd were partyng while the support act was playing an got totally bored after girl gone wild was done.

She needs to look back and see, hear what great songs ect she has done and celebrate it with the audiance... and be real...cause I dont feel it when she says she appreciate the support exept her bank account

Anyway she better do a great fun crowd pleaser tour before her dance mover starts to slow down and her voice becomes embarrasing and we'll get a nostalgin lipsync show

I love her reinventions, admittedly not the guitar reinventions except for maybe I Don't Give, I love New York and Candy Perfume Girl.

I agree. I think her reinventions of the older songs on the MDNA tour were some of her best because they were creative and interesting. Not the guitar rock reinventions of past tours where you just put a guitar riff over the old songs which to me had become cliched and not creative. I like guitar but to me it only works when the original song has that rock feeling like Candy Perfume Girl or when it's a new song like I Don't Give A, not on her older non-rock influenced songs. I thought the reinventions and arrangements on the MDNA tour were great and very enjoyable because she still played guitar on some songs, but it wasn't that typical "rawk" feeling of past tours. I love rock stuff, but I just feel the typical rock sound doesn't suit her voice or her music.

I think she should do a Greatest Hits tour at some point, but not the next tour. I think it should be something she should save for her last big tour. Because once you do a Greatest HIts tour, it's hard to go back to doing a tour with a lot of new music, because people then expect every tour to be just hits. Basically, a GH tour leaves you with nowhere to go. She may be slowing down somewhat with her dance moves, but I think her voice is still very strong. She has taken care of her voice, not abusing it with cigarettes, drugs, alcohol etc. so there's no reason later on she couldn't do a tour with the GH, but with less dancing and still sound amazing. With all the hits, you don't need as much choreography and dancing; she could just go out and do a more stripped down show and let the hits speak for themselves. So I think she should do a GH tour but not the next tour, save it for her last major tour.

And sing bloody Bad Girl!!!

I would absolutely love to hear that. But that's not really a hit to casual fans. As a hard core fan, a GH tour of just her biggest hits would be a little boring to me because honestly some of my all time favorite songs by her are not the biggest hits. What would be exciting for me is for her to fit in a few more of the older slightly more obscure songs that haven't been performed as much such as Bad Girl or Nothing Really Matters. She mostly does older huge hits and new songs. I know she can't do a whole concert of just older fan favorites, but I'd like her to fit in one or two in the next couple of tours.

I have no problem with it. I love the version she did of LAV. HU sucked cow balls, but that's the only one that bothered me. Like she said during the Girlie Show, if you want to hear the original versions, go put the CD on. She has to sing these songs every night for six months. And she's been singing them for 30 years, so if this what we have to "suffer" for to continue to be inspired and tour at age 54, then so be it. I like it.

Thank God she doesn't doesn't repeat herself...

I was a big MJ fan, but I was tired of him doing the same hits the same way everytime (and he was about to repeat it in THIS IS IT).

OPEN YOUR HEART was everything in the MDNA Tour, and I liked the sticky version of VOGUE more refreshing than the MDNA version... Sure it chanllenges people not to hear the original versions everytime, but isn't that what Madonna does best. She wants that ! + it would be so boring for her to do things people expect her to do. I'm glad she really does her shows the way she wants them. I thinl people who go and see her performing live knows about that by now !

Her legacy is affected in an ultra-positive way by reinventing her oldies. How exciting it must be for a new fan to discover all this incredible carreer...

and by the way, it's not only the music, but the choregraphy, the moves.. she likes to change everything, it's an incredible amount of work. She should get credit for it, it's amazing and so much more interesting for us...

I'm not saying it's great everytime (I don't like Hung Up in the tour, and we all have different tastes), but at least yes, she still works her ass off to propose relevant shows and music.

Edited by From France

Let's face it.....beyond those songs the casual fans don't really care.

I think this is a common mistake. Thing with Madonna is that there are different demographics for the "casual fans". You're talking about the 35+ crowd. But what about the mid 20s to mid 30s "casual fans"?

Their "Madonna" is expected to play:

Ray of Light

Frozen

The Power of Good-Bye

Beautiful Stranger

American Pie

Music

Don't Tell Me

Die Another Day

Hung Up

Sorry

Get Together

4 Minutes

All popular songs that people who were somewhat into her stuff or pop music in general then would expect to hear at a Madonna concert and usually don't.

Hated that PDP was cut the way it was for MDNA and I really can't see why she had to do that, it's quite irritating really that she decided to do that. Even after seeing the crowd reaction to the song throughout the duration of the tour she STILL kept it at 90 seconds. Would it have killed her to do an edited version of it? Just Madonna on the catwalk singing one of her best known hits.

I guess she didn't sing it in full because she felt the rest of the lyrics didn't really go with the section.

It has it's boring moments like the overlong Nobodies Perfect and the WTF moment Mer Girl, both could have done with an edit and Mer Girl dropped entirely as it's boring and she sings it horribly.

To each his own, I guess. The whole geisha segment remains a highlight amongst her tours in my opinion. Flawless stuff.

I guess she didn't sing it in full because she felt the rest of the lyrics didn't really go with the section.

I completely agree with you, in the tour the song is not about a pregnant teenager, it's about a problem with a man. The first verse fits perfectly between gang bang and hung up, the rest doesn't.

I completely agree with you, in the tour the song is not about a pregnant teenager, it's about a problem with a man. The first verse fits perfectly between gang bang and hung up, the rest doesn't.

Exactly. I love Papa Don't Preach, but how is she going to fit a song about a pregnant teenager into her tour? Her tours are quite personal and have things to say about her life. She is not a pregnant teenager and no one is going to believe she is one. PDP is a great song, but unfortunately it's one of her few songs that isn't timeless lyrically but is kind of specific to something that doesn't apply to her now. So it makes a bit problematic to fit it into her tour if it's based around a concept. A lot of her other songs can be interpreted many different ways like for example Live to Tell.

Same as Kylie greatest hits tour and homecoming tour

She is way too early to have a tour like this

And then in X and Aphrodite tour, I have a mind that

She keeps singing oldies over and over,

CGYOOMH, locomotion... So tired of her hits

But she did a new tour very nice as Anti tour

She sang B side or less performed songs to her loyal fans

It only has 5-6 shows not for the casual fans

I think madge should have a mini tour like this

I want her songs in erotica era, goodbye to innocent

Or any lese performed songs, that would make me life completed

Hehe

Same as Kylie greatest hits tour and homecoming tour

She is way too early to have a tour like this

And then in X and Aphrodite tour, I have a mind that

She keeps singing oldies over and over,

CGYOOMH, locomotion... So tired of her hits

But she did a new tour very nice as Anti tour

She sang B side or less performed songs to her loyal fans

It only has 5-6 shows not for the casual fans

I think madge should have a mini tour like this

I want her songs in erotica era, goodbye to innocent

Or any lese performed songs, that would make me life completed

Hehe

This is what I am hoping for when M is far older and past her mega tour days. Small, intimate venues where she can be theatrical, indulge in performance art and do the music she and her hardcore fanbase wanna hear.

Guest Pud Whacker

i only read the thread title but all i can say as a fan since 1983 is - when she has a new album, those are the songs i want to hear. ive heard all the others live (plus non single tracks) before on the accompanying tours.

I agree with Pud. I recall when she did the Blond Ambition Tour that i was hoping she would do Spanish Eyes or Till Death Do Us Part, or Promise to Try, but instead we got oldies. I love those oldies of course, but I wish she had done more from LAP!

The same would have happened if she had toured after ROL, i would have wanted to hear the new ones instead of, let's say, Vogue.

Yes I agree the very late start times really sucked during this tour, but the casual fans (who might be making up many in the audience) won't continue seeing her in very large numbers in some cities, unless she plays more hits or makes her reinvention of songs sound more accessible to a wider audience,

I personally know of a a few people who refuse to see Madonna again because she was late or they were pissed off about the lack of familiar songs on the set list. I think I rather see her perform with her hardcore fans in smaller venues anyway, but we all know madonna loves touring to make lots of money.

Guest bluejean

I don't care what she performs or how late she comes on I just want her to come to Australia for once. And I do NOT care about the opinions of the media.

Let alone the opinions of casual fans.