MDNA Tour: Billboard's Top Tour of 2012: Final Boxscore - $305,158,362

Apples388

Guest SuperPop

Wow at those numbers! :wow: And coming after the megaflop of MDNA

Imagine what numbers she could achieve next time if she will have a hit album

I think that Super Bowl got many people in North America to purchase tickets, it was a genious idea from Guy O.

They began to sell them, what, a mere week after SB broadcast?

^ :chuckle:/>

Plus according to that very same 2007 deal she retains 70% of merchandising gross and 50% of licensing sales. Merchandising for the Virgin Tour totalled at a staggering $80m, that was 28 years ago. I can't even imagine what she does on merchandising alone these days. Her past 5 tours combined generated a total of $1,15bn during the course of 11 years

When you add all her other side ventures and that she does back to back $15m a pop fashion campaigns you do the math. Those fucking Forbes assessments of celebrities' networth are really worthless. People also forget that she's made quite a bit of money before her Live Nation affiliation began in 2001. Royalties for record sales of over 20m copies were quite something in the 80s and 90s. $20m - $30m of 1985 -1991 is not the same as saying $20m of today (though of course is still a great sum). If you take in investments made since the 80s, inflation and interests earned it's very likely she's a billionaire by now and not just once. $400m networth after 30 years of that sort of thing my ass.

$700m plus worth of concert revenue alone in the past 4 years

The figures will be poured over by financial types and we'd know if she were anywhere near a billion. I don't think there are any 'billionaire' rock stars. Paul McCartney is regarded as the richest at $800 million, Bono at $600 million, Mick Jagger $305 million, all huge touring acts that are comparable in terms of touring success to Madonna.

Once you've taken the costs of the tour out (£100million +), tax on the gross figure (40%), Guy's cut etc, there probably isn't nearly as much left as you'd think.

Cheers :wink:

How the fuck did Mccartney and Bono made so much money?

McCartney - I believe he owns a huge catalogue of all kinds of songs which makes him a lot in royalties. He was the first who realized the power of publishing rights.

Bono - allegedly he was one of the first investors in Facebook and once Facebook had its IPO his investment was worth a few hundred million (but is probably only worth half of it considering the decline of Facebooks shares after its first day on the market)

Anyway, their total net worth is not set in stone. It's not like they have all the money on the bank.

The figures will be poured over by financial types and we'd know if she were anywhere near a billion. I don't think there are any 'billionaire' rock stars. Paul McCartney is regarded as the richest at $800 million, Bono at $600 million, Mick Jagger $305 million, all huge touring acts that are comparable in terms of touring success to Madonna.

Once you've taken the costs of the tour out (£100million +), tax on the gross figure (40%), Guy's cut etc, there probably isn't nearly as much left as you'd think.

Production costs for her last 3 tours ranged between $60 and $100m. Sticky and MDNA brought in $730m combined. Which means that in the past 4 years she probably took in 90% of a $500m figure. She was featured in 4 back to back fashion campaigns between 2009 and 2010 and that's $15m each. Add gyms, perfumes, shoes, royalties, licensing, art investemnets, property, shares in oil companies and multiply that for 30 years. Consider inflation and the stratospherical interests on the kind of sums she's been piling up since the 80s. Even after TAX she is most certainly a billionaire by now

The financial types from the Wall Street Journals or Forbes will publish terms of deals and stuff like that but it's just entertainment journalism and in case of Forbes quite lousy too (as Madonna herself commented in 1991), they hardly know what the people they write about are actually worth

Wow at those numbers! :wow:And coming after the megaflop of MDNA

Imagine what numbers she could achieve next time if she will have a hit album

I wasn't aware the album flopped

Having a top 20 record at her age and having achieved it without actually promoting the product it's indicative of how much a flop it was

Vanity Fair: Madonna’s MDNA Concert Tour Earned More Than Bruce Springsteen’s, Justin Bieber’s, and Bob Dylan’s Tours Combined

Say what you will about Madonna and her MDNA concert tour—specifically the aging icon’s reportedly outrageous sterilization-team demands and her tasteless use of machine-gun choreography and swastikas, the reliably controversial singer managed to top all other concert acts in 2012 by grossing, on average, an estimated $3,465,640 per city in North America. This means that on average, Madonna’s concert tour grossed more than those helmed by Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band ($1,362,627 per city), Justin Bieber ($1,177,615), and Bob Dylan ($467,504) combined. (Casual analysis of the Pollstar report suggests that Madonna’s gamble to price her tickets at a wallet-busting $160 on average—more than twice Justin Bieber’s ticket price—paid off.) Elsewhere, Billboard calculates that in total, the MDNA tour grossed just over $300 million, making it one of the top-grossing tours of all time.

In the meantime, it is still too soon to know whether the Grammy winner’s recent decision toscold smokers in her audience will curb sales for future concert tours.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2013/01/madonna-justin-bieber-bruce-springsteen-concerts-2012

sorry they refer to her as a grammy winner and make out like she just incontrovertably deserves respect, while still questioning her behaviour in a sensible fashion - those aspects were controversial, the prices were high and the smoking debacle was widely reported. I'd much rather see articles like this than ones that act like she's never done anything of worth and is pathetic middle aged whore.

They also refer to her as 'aging icon '.Also, why bring up that stupid rumor about Madonna and the 'outregous sterilization - team demands', to support their disapproval of her tour antics?

This the typical way that the media reports her sucess. They bring up the fact, the sucess, and try to travestite it with many little passive agrassive attacks. "aging icon", "tasteless use of guns", "sterilization demands" and finishes with a pointless jab on her at "scolt smokers in the audience" once again questioning her sales for future tours. Pathetic.

Vanity Fair: Madonna’s MDNA Concert Tour Earned More Than Bruce Springsteen’s, Justin Bieber’s, and Bob Dylan’s Tours Combined

Say what you will about Madonna and her MDNA concert tour—specifically the aging icon’s reportedly outrageous sterilization-team demands and her tasteless use of machine-gun choreography and swastikas, the reliably controversial singer managed to top all other concert acts in 2012 by grossing, on average, an estimated $3,465,640 per city in North America. This means that on average, Madonna’s concert tour grossed more than those helmed by Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band ($1,362,627 per city), Justin Bieber ($1,177,615), and Bob Dylan ($467,504) combined. (Casual analysis of the Pollstar report suggests that Madonna’s gamble to price her tickets at a wallet-busting $160 on average—more than twice Justin Bieber’s ticket price—paid off.) Elsewhere, Billboard calculates that in total, the MDNA tour grossed just over $300 million, making it one of the top-grossing tours of all time.

In the meantime, it is still too soon to know whether the Grammy winner’s recent decision toscold smokers in her audience will curb sales for future concert tours.

http://www.vanityfai...n-concerts-2012

God, why so many Madonna haters in this world?

so if this is the second tour under the LN contract how many are left?

there is still 2 more... she will only have 2014-2017 to work the last two...

it is quite possible we won't see any more 2-legged tours from her under LN...

it seems 2014 is a must for her to tour...

there is still 2 more... she will only have 2014-2017 to work the last two...

it is quite possible we won't see any more 2-legged tours from her under LN...

it seems 2014 is a must for her to tour...

In my dreams she will release a new album by the end of this year and a new tour in 2014. Same schedule from COADF.

:tigger:

what was the LN deal again? 4 concerts and 3 albums?

Hard Candy was still with WBR, right?

so it is either:

2nd album:

- late-2013 album/early-2014 tour (a little too early)

- mid-2014 album/late-2014 to early-2015 tour

3rd album

- late-2016 album 2017 new tour OR early-2017 album/tour

Live/Tour albums doesn't count? or will there be any?

^ I am not sure the 10 year part is set in stone. I am sure she could deliver a new album by fall 2014, tour in 2015 and then deliver her last album by 2017 and still tour behind it.

If I had my druthers, I'd wish for a fall 2014 album with real promo up through Christmas, a tour to start in the spring of 2015 in Australia and wind up at the end of 2015 in Europe. Then, she could focus on other projects through 2016, start recording the last album for this deal in early 2017 and have it out by Christmas with the last tour in 2018.

The Virgin Tour 1985

Who's That Girl Tour 1987

Blond Ambition Tour 1990

The Girlie Show 1993

Drowned World Tour 2001

Re-Invention Tour 2004

Confessions Tour 2006

Sticky and Sweet Tour 2008/2009

MDNA Tour 2012

Guest Xanthium

So how come the MDNA tour made less money than the S&S tour, even with more dates and playing in stadiums? Was it because she did a 2nd leg in 2009?

Yes - Sticky's 2nd leg added a chunk of money. Also, in the first leg, she played stadiums in the USA; and elsewhere the stadiums she played were at higher capacities for Sticky. Demand was higher.

Guest Xanthium

Oh ok. thanks :) Even though I wanted her to do more promo during the release of MDNA, it's totally understandable now why she was like "fuck it what's the point". No one cares about how much an album sells anymore. Since everyone is suffering album sales-wise, touring is an artist's bread and butter. Madonna was wise to put all her energy into rehearsing for the tour and getting out on the road ASAP. And look at the accolades she's received: #1 tour of 2012. #10 tour of all time. 2.2 million viewers. SMART BITCH :queenbitch:

As a lot of the crazy loons here say, if she had done a 2nd leg for MDNA she would have broken her own Sticky record, but she didn't because the tour is over with and she has moved on.

Guest Xanthium

Well from reading about her Live Nation contract, doing a 2nd leg would've eaten into her future album/touring schedule. She can't really afford that now. She needs to focus on editing the MDNA DVD/Blu-ray and get that out so she can end the MDNA era and focus on her next record and film (I wish she'd put the film stuff on hold but we know she won't).