Future tours affected by current reputation?

CMoody

Denver was just a bunch of cunts....there was a tremendous booing when she revealed her OBAMA tattoo....she even stated "Am I being booed right now?"....she sorta said it with a smirk....she knows what she is doing. Still, I personally feel they could capture the momentum created by the opening act a bit better....opening acts are designed to prepare the crowd for the headliner, but when you warm them up and then let them sit for another 1.5 hours, it does sort of lose it's flow....

LOVE this post! i said the same thing shortly after i saw her in DC and everyone jumped in my shit saying Madonna doesnt need an opener to pump people up. that wasnt what i was implying, i was just saying that in DC, the DJ actually got a great reaction and good response, the people were tripping and had they not turned the lights up, and say for conversation sake, sorta waited only 10 mins or so...the place would have been out of this world! but to stop the momentum and then sit there for another 90 mins really killed any buzz. Yes, the place screamed and all, but there were plenty of boo's and i've seen better crowd reaction at her other shows here.

i also think in general people want instant gratification and dont want to wait. reminds me of a great line meryl streep said in a movie...Shirley Maclaine said to her 'you're only interested in instant gratification' and meryl replies "no, instant gratification takes too long!"

LOL

Madonna is the only living legend in music apart from Sir Paul McCartney, those people complaining will oneday be grateful to have had the opportunity to see her. It's about building anticipation, if those idiots don't come back it's their loss. More room for the real fans.

Exactly. Those drama queens are so used to having her there that have lost perspective entirely. She is RARE if you know what i mean. A Madonna show is an event anticipated for an entire year! It's a moment that people (hopefully) will remember for the rest of their lives! And i get a feeling that these lame complains may be due to her aging fanbase. Teenagers don't give a shit about the lateness.

You hit it on the head......not everyone sees her in the way that we do and feel they are being disrespected by the late start. Most people are not sitting there thinking "It's okay that we will miss our train, have to pay our babysitter an extra 3 hours and have to miss work tomorrow....everyone will understand, for she is the queen...."

To some casual fans, she's just an entertainer....a legend, but still an entertainer nonetheless....she doesn't have an impact in their lives outside of their CD's or iPod.

crystal clear

You hit it on the head......not everyone sees her in the way that we do and feel they are being disrespected by the late start. Most people are not sitting there thinking "It's okay that we will miss our train, have to pay our babysitter an extra 3 hours and have to miss work tomorrow....everyone will understand, for she is the queen...."

To some casual fans, she's just an entertainer....a legend, but still an entertainer nonetheless....she doesn't have an impact in their lives outside of their CD's or iPod.

Shame on them. Madonna is the queen and they should know it! Lol

I could give two shits how long I have to wait for her to get her ass on stage.

Its fucking Madonna.

Id sit there all night into the early hours of the morning if I had to. People need to sit their impatient asses down and chomp down on their hotdogs and popcorn our whatever else shit they are shoving down their fat gullets and relax.

Damn cunts.

:laugh:

Bla bla bla. Crybabies unite. She will be fine.

Be sure to read the posts...no one here is crying.... we are all very willing to wait for our GODDESS......we are just understanding the reality that the majority of the people who buy tickets do not think like we Madonnaites.....esp in American, people are impatient and vocal about it. The late starts really piss people off....and its a LARGE number who are pissed. Just check out TicketMaster...the reviews under her name are horrendous and it's all people bitching about the late starts....from S&S through MDNA.

I am not referring to the mass amount of controversies MDNA has garnered, those are a badge of honor for M and fuel to her artistic flame.....I am referring to the bad customer service.....hear me out.

We have all seen the vids or at least heard about the booing before shows......having just witnessed this first-hand it is disturbing....Denver didn't start until nearly 11, and the crowd booed at least 3x.....once was after Madonna had been spotted by the crowd on the side as she made her way backstage.....the roar of the boos are so loud and deafening that it's shocking and overwhelming.

As a fan, I do not know what to tell people about this when they complain to me....the comments on the press article websites and especially TicketMaster....people aren't having it. I noticed that Denver wasn't very packed, it definitely wasn't sold out, and I think as time goes on, people will be less and less willing to shell out the $ to see her.

It is one thing to base your shows heavily on your new material, but the incredibly late starts are going to really cause people to ignore future tours. It has been this way for every tour since DWT, but it seems to be far worse now. What is the purpose? What is she doing? Why can't the show start at 10? She is known for her extreme punctuality and organized work ethic yet she allows thousands of people who have paid to see her to sit staring at and empty stage for 2.5 hours with no explanation or apology. The DJs open, pump the crowd, and then they are left sitting for an hour and a half before the show ever starts.....

As huge fans, we sit for hours, even days to see her in the flesh, but the general public (the majority filling the venues and making this tour the massive success that it is) would never spend the time and energy, and shouldn't be expected to. I just forsee the late start and lack of hit complaints tainting her reputation as a live performer....she tours far more frequently now, and will for several more years, so the demand will naturally wane but the issue will be if people hear of the uber late starts, they will certainly question shelling out the high ticket prices.

I am glad that she continues to forge forth as an artist and never rests on her legend....but the general fans think differently....I think they are willing to overlook the reliance on more fresh material since the quality of the show is so amazing....but these late starts, esp for fans with children and jobs, I really think it is going to hurt her future ticket receipts.

Has her THEN reputation affected the last tours, including this one? Doesn't seem to be the case. She's ALWAYS been late, big deal. That's not poor customer service. Poor customer service is when you spend $400 on a concert ticket and you get a cheap half-arsed piece of junk which doesn't seem to be the case here either. Thank God, she always delivers.

why do people keep saying she's ALWAYS late. No she hasnt ALWAYS been late. I've been to every tour and its only been the last 2...i'm not counting the ones like Confessions or Re-invention when she had no opener and came out around 840.

40 mins isnt late...a 1030 start after a DJ is late

I think it's a complicated show and she wont start until everything is 100%. I think the people booing think she's at Starbucks sipping a latte.

I agree about the complications, which in case it may be wise to inform the audience rather than have them start booing. It certainly dampers the general crowds mood. On previous tours, every US venue was sold out....correct? I am seeing that more and more arena shows on this tour have a bit of open space.....as I said....Denver was certainly not sold out.

for someone attending a show on a tuesday night, a 10:30 start time makes for a long day the next day. as many have stated, the arenas are made up of many different types of concertgoers, many of whom are not die-hard fans and have likely never been to a concert that starts so late after the published start time. if the late starts tarnish her image, she only has herself to blame. i know people who are casual fans and they were annoyed that it started so late--there's nothing wrong with being annoyed about it. if one buys a ticket and it reads, starting at X time, it's not unreasonable to assume that the event would be starting around that time. if we were talking about a flight, train, or bus departure time, most would agree that it's not cool for a late start. what's the difference? you're paying for a deliverable. fans pay madonna to perform for them just like passengers pay for transport to transport them. the people in the audience keep her on stage. she shouldn't forget that.

to add to the whole DJ being late...they also have to break down his setup and probably do some technical resetting, move some lights, test a few things to make sure nothing goes wrong by the time she comes on. They have to pull down the huge curtain with her face on it. Sticky & Sweet didn't have an opening act when she was in the U.S. so the show started a little after 9.

Besides, Madonna concerts are a full night event. Everyone trickles in after 8 and all the people who were meant to be there (had tickets) all get situated a little after 9 anyway. DJ on at 8:45ish until 9:45ish...then breakdown and fine tuning...backstage prayer and shazzam!

I think the varying wait time and also the frustration of standing around waiting for the lights to go down only adds to the opening theme...the element of surprise is kind of built into the show. You hear the first toll of the bell and then...your heartbeat quickens and the rest is magic.

Let It Will Be

I agree about the complications, which in case it may be wise to inform the audience rather than have them start booing. It certainly dampers the general crowds mood. On previous tours, every US venue was sold out....correct? I am seeing that more and more arena shows on this tour have a bit of open space.....as I said....Denver was certainly not sold out.

She is simply touring more often than ever before, can't you see that? Market saturation has nothing to do with her being late really.

Ive seen her loads of times like the rest of you and it does piss me off that she comes on late. Mainly because the lines for the loos are huge and you never know when to go, especially if youre exited. I love M but it does piss me off when youve had your legs crossed for nearly 3 hours not wanting to miss her coming on.

She is simply touring more often than ever before, can't you see that? Market saturation has nothing to do with her being late really.

You need to read the earlier posts. :)

She was never so late before in the UK. I think all of her shows started before 9.00pm. And I would say the all round mess of S&S tour has affected her here as she struggled to sell the Hyde Park gig and only played two other gigs in the whole country. It was weeks before the tour 'sold out' and there was no uplift in album sales. Perhaps she wants to put David and Mercy to bed but for crying out loud, just put it on the tickets you're starting at 10 not 8. People won't mind so long as they know.

When you have artists like Bruce Springsteen who arrive on time and play for four hours, people won't tolerate this behaviour and just go elsewhere. We were one of her biggest markets and the reaction to this whole project has just been of general indifference. If it can happen here, it can happen anywhere.

Guest ditaluver

the crowd last night didnt seem to give a shit. people were happy and up and dancing. i was surprised at how relaxed they were

now once 10:40 rolled around, even i was like...come on already cause my feet were starting to hurt...but once she did emerge...everyting else was out the window!

you can't hear any complaints/boos from the golden triangle

bless

Not at all...we made sure to make up for the cold crowd in Denver by giving her IMMENSE love. You could tell that she really appreciated her front row Triangle bitches by night's end.