Future tours affected by current reputation?

CMoody

*I was front row center in the GT for Denver, so obviously there was no one complaining nearby, but just beyond the circle the annoyance of impatience could clearly be felt.....

I am not referring to the mass amount of controversies MDNA has garnered, those are a badge of honor for M and fuel to her artistic flame.....I am referring to the bad customer service.....hear me out.

We have all seen the vids or at least heard about the booing before shows......having just witnessed this first-hand it is disturbing....Denver didn't start until nearly 11, and the crowd booed at least 3x.....once was after Madonna had been spotted by the crowd on the side as she made her way backstage.....the roar of the boos are so loud and deafening that it's shocking and overwhelming.

As a fan, I do not know what to tell people about this when they complain to me....the comments on the press article websites and especially TicketMaster....people aren't having it. I noticed that Denver wasn't very packed, it definitely wasn't sold out, and I think as time goes on, people will be less and less willing to shell out the $ to see her.

It is one thing to base your shows heavily on your new material, but the incredibly late starts are going to really cause people to ignore future tours. It has been this way for every tour since DWT, but it seems to be far worse now. What is the purpose? What is she doing? Why can't the show start at 10? She is known for her extreme punctuality and organized work ethic yet she allows thousands of people who have paid to see her to sit staring at and empty stage for 2.5 hours with no explanation or apology. The DJs open, pump the crowd, and then they are left sitting for an hour and a half before the show ever starts.....

As huge fans, we sit for hours, even days to see her in the flesh, but the general public (the majority filling the venues and making this tour the massive success that it is) would never spend the time and energy, and shouldn't be expected to. I just forsee the late start and lack of hit complaints tainting her reputation as a live performer....she tours far more frequently now, and will for several more years, so the demand will naturally wane but the issue will be if people hear of the uber late starts, they will certainly question shelling out the high ticket prices.

I am glad that she continues to forge forth as an artist and never rests on her legend....but the general fans think differently....I think they are willing to overlook the reliance on more fresh material since the quality of the show is so amazing....but these late starts, esp for fans with children and jobs, I really think it is going to hurt her future ticket receipts.

I understand what you mean and the same thoughts have crossed my mind, but then again, it seems like there's always something people don't like. For every tour since DWT, I've always heard people complain about the lack of 80s hits. Yet, she still sells those concert tickets when she goes on tour. I don't think the lateness of the shows will affect her ability to sell out arenas. And if Denver didn't look full, I would venture to say that it's because greedy scalpers were left holding bags of tickets at the end. I think she'll be just fine.

I think it is possible it could affect the future tour attendance, but I don't think it would be by much. After all, people have short memories and if she has a hot new album that most of her fans like, she will probably always sell out arenas. I doubt the U.S. will see another tour until 2015-2016 at the soonest.

I think they are doing it to boost merchandising sales, honestly. I really can't think of any other reason why she's coming on late. Also, I believe M gets a cut of venue food and drink profit as well - so people are putting more money in her pocket the longer she waits to come on.

Quite frankly, I don't have any issues with coming on at 10:30PM because I am not an unprepared fool and I took off work the next day. I had no plans to go from a Madonna show straight to bed like some old piece of crap. However, if I was a general public (casual) fan, I guess I could see a little annoyance with coming on so late. At least she has been having an opening act. It's not like people have to sit there with their thumb up their ass. They could DANCE or something.

Guest Xanthium

I can understand being annoyed at having to wait an extra hour or two for her to come on stage but it's not like this is a daily occurrence for audience members. Madonna only tour every two years. Honestly, if you refuse to go see her concerts again because of the wait time, then you really aren't a major fan to begin with. Now this is not a diss or a judgement call but rather only a fact. Someone who really enjoys Madonna's concerts, the performances she puts on, the theater and art she brings to pop concerts, will totally deal with the wait time. I think it's the casual fans or the people who are only slightly curious about her that are the biggest complainers. Besides, a Madonna concert is an entire evening. What's the rush? Gotta get home for QVC?

I would like to add that no one boo'ed at the Seattle shows. Bitches waited for the Queen...fuck, we've been waiting 20+ years, 2 hours wasn't going to kill us.

Coming on stage late is very annoying sometimes and it can mess up your plans.

Many people use public transportation. Look at what happened in London in 2008. How can you not be upset when you have to pay $40-60 for a taxi just to get home. That concert was a disaster. Noone drives in London. People rely on buses and trains only.

Some have to go to work in the morning.

Others want to go to parties after the concert but bars and clubs close at 2 so you don't have enough time to enjoy it.

9:30 is the right time in my opinion. When I saw Sticky and Sweet in Athens, she was on stage at 9:35pm. Everyone was able to get a train to go home or attend Madonna after parties. 85.000 people left the stadium area smoothly and they were in bed by 12:30 if they wanted.

Was she THAT late in the US with previous tours? Sticky definitely started BEFORE 10pm in Detroit last time.

Personally, I don't care. I can wait forever to see her. But I understand why people can be pissed off about it.

I can understand being annoyed at having to wait an extra hour or two for her to come on stage but it's not like this is a daily occurrence for audience members. Madonna only tour every two years. Honestly, if you refuse to go see her concerts again because of the wait time, then you really aren't a major fan to begin with. Now this is not a diss or a judgement call but rather only a fact. Someone who really enjoys Madonna's concerts, the performances she puts on, the theater and art she brings to pop concerts, will totally deal with the wait time. I think it's the casual fans or the people who are only slightly curious about her that are the biggest complainers. Besides, a Madonna concert is an entire evening. What's the rush? Gotta get home for QVC?

It's more like every 4 years not 2. I am personally glad she doesn't come on at 8. Most of the time people are not even at their seats. When I saw her in Vegas for reinvention tour they would cut the lights down and people would scurry to the seats. After that they would turn the lights back on lol. It was just them trying to get people to settle and not move.

Coming on stage late is very annoying sometimes and it can mess up your plans.

Many people use public transportation. Look at what happened in London in 2008. How can you not be upset when you have to pay $40-60 for a taxi just to get home. That concert was a disaster. Noone drives in London. People rely on buses and trains only.

Some have to go to work in the morning.

Others want to go to parties after the concert but bars and clubs close at 2 so you don't have enough time to enjoy it.

This is true. I forgot the S&S debacle. Of course, I live in a city with absolute shit public transportation so everyone probably drove to the venue.

In D.C. though, I believe the Metro ran some late trains to accommodate the show's late start. I don't see why other cities can't do the same. Honestly, I am not sure why there isn't 24 hour public transit in every large city. I understand fewer trains at night, but NONE? That is just bad city planning.

This is true. I forgot the S&S debacle. Of course, I live in a city with absolute shit public transportation so everyone probably drove to the venue.

In D.C. though, I believe the Metro ran some late trains to accommodate the show's late start. I don't see why other cities can't do the same. Honestly, I am not sure why there isn't 24 hour public transit in every large city. I understand fewer trains at night, but NONE? That is just bad city planning.

There are 24 hour buses in London but 80.000 people attended the concert! Night buses can't do anything. Plus, Wembley is far from downtown London. The bus would take forever.

I would like to add that no one boo'ed at the Seattle shows. Bitches waited for the Queen...fuck, we've been waiting 20+ years, 2 hours wasn't going to kill us.

Denver was just a bunch of cunts....there was a tremendous booing when she revealed her OBAMA tattoo....she even stated "Am I being booed right now?"....she sorta said it with a smirk....she knows what she is doing. Still, I personally feel they could capture the momentum created by the opening act a bit better....opening acts are designed to prepare the crowd for the headliner, but when you warm them up and then let them sit for another 1.5 hours, it does sort of lose it's flow....

Why is her lateness a big deal just now? Was she always on time with her previous tours? Is it really something to complain about? I mean, it is expected the shows start late right? surely she doesn't do those 2 hrs lateness in all her dates

No problem with her starting a show at 10 or later as long as we know before hand. That way we can all make plans. Simple.

exactly, it's all about planning... i mean, with major concerts, you should have more time allowance before and after the show... we can't squeeze MADONNA into our hectic schedule and expect her to fully comply to our time frame... we should know better... those whiners are even lucky to see her live... thinks about Asia and Australia who is waiting forever just to see her... it is not like it happens to your lives everyday, her concerts happen every 3-4 yr average... One night of not being able to ride a bus on time isn't reason enough not to attend her next concert... if it is, either you are not a fan or you are just not that driven to see her live...

Australia has been waiting 19 fucking years next month and I don't give a fuck if she's two hours late if she ever makes it up to her Aussie fans which I predict will be 21 years by the time she gets here, calculate that for waiting and that could still be longer than 21 years or fucking never

Guest Not4Pussies

I had no problem with her coming out till 10:30. On her previous tour the latest she ever came out when Ive seen her was 9:45 for S&S. If people get informed and know.she won't be coming out at 8, there wouldn't be any complaining. Although for her second LA show me and LatinAmericanIdol and a bunch of other people missed our train. There were no more trains running after 12:30. We took a taxi and LatinAmericanIdols friend gave me a ride home. It was a blessing in disguise actually. Although I missed my train I got to meet and spend time with LatinAmericanIdol. A great guy indeed. We had great conversations about M.

Guest bluejean

Madonna is the only living legend in music apart from Sir Paul McCartney, those people complaining will oneday be grateful to have had the opportunity to see her. It's about building anticipation, if those idiots don't come back it's their loss. More room for the real fans.

some of you a viewing the thing from a fan angle... but a lot of attendance is made by casual fans, people who wants to see a show and then go home (they work the following day), or go to a club after concert and then go home. it's not the full audience but a good portion of it. and starting to all shows not before 10,00 or 10,30 can leave bad taste in a lot of people who won't pay high ticket prices on another tour. (obviously i dont' give a about the starting time, but i can see the point) interestingly, for confession tour in rome there were a lot of complaints, but they were caused most because of the total mess of the public transport. this time was better and the show started at 10,15 if i remember (after some ola and then some booing).

I think it is on purpose. If you wait you ll be more exited when show starts. Obviously. Temptation darling is what we call it. And she acts like a queen. If you wanna her presence you ll need to wait.

Anyway your post is full of shit. Who are you that you need apologize for her to others?

She must be aware of booing and she dont mind. So..why you should be? It is all part of the game.

Cheers

Guest bluejean

Think about it like this. With all the concerts/events what do you remember most? How long you had to wait around? What you had to eat/drink? How hard it was getting home? Who you bumped into at the merchandise stand? Because none of that springs to mind for me, I simple remember what I thought of the show. If they loved the show, they will be back.

I think it is on purpose. If you wait you ll be more exited when show starts. Obviously. Temptation darling is what we call it. And she acts like a queen. If you wanna her presence you ll need to wait.

Anyway your post is full of shit. Who are you that you need apologize for her to others?

She must be aware of booing and she dont mind. So..why you should be? It is all part of the game.

Cheers

not as much as yours....

[

Cheers

Are you talking to me? When you are a huge fan and attend shows, the casual fans around you will bitch and moan to you...I am sure others here can relate.....that's all I meant...geeeesh.

some of you a viewing the thing from a fan angle... but a lot of attendance is made by casual fans, people who wants to see a show and then go home (they work the following day), or go to a club after concert and then go home. it's not the full audience but a good portion of it. and starting to all shows not before 10,00 or 10,30 can leave bad taste in a lot of people who won't pay high ticket prices on another tour. (obviously i dont' give a about the starting time, but i can see the point) interestingly, for confession tour in rome there were a lot of complaints, but they were caused most because of the total mess of the public transport. this time was better and the show started at 10,15 if i remember (after some ola and then some booing).

You hit it on the head......not everyone sees her in the way that we do and feel they are being disrespected by the late start. Most people are not sitting there thinking "It's okay that we will miss our train, have to pay our babysitter an extra 3 hours and have to miss work tomorrow....everyone will understand, for she is the queen...."

To some casual fans, she's just an entertainer....a legend, but still an entertainer nonetheless....she doesn't have an impact in their lives outside of their CD's or iPod.

very thoughtful subject and i had thought the same things. I am a diehard fan from day 1...been to every tour ...even virgin tour (yes i am THAT old LOL)...i also think the annoying late starts are beginning to bug me as well...i mean in the end, i can live with it, its better than not seeing her at all, but i dont see any reason for it and the pattern seems to be getting later and later...the next tour might start actually the day after?? 1215 in the morning?? Someone mentioned DC and the trains, yes, they did run late for us, but it was a struggle to get to a compromise, they didnt even announce the late trains until 730 when most people already made other arrangements. my friends ended up driving and paying 30 dollars to park when they could have taken the trains for free had the metro blinked first and made a decision hours earlier. i can remember as far back as Blonde Ambition and that show started very early....Re-invention here in DC began around 840 and Confessions in NY at MSG started around same time, definately before 9pm. Sticky and Sweet well after 10 and now 1030...i think people get so excited that they want it to start already and then get grumpy. people all around me at the DC show were in a foul mood...i get that and i dont at the same time. i feel like 'shit, you paid 300 bucks for this, shut up and chill...you dont have nothing better to do or you wouldnt have planned to see this show tonight" on the other hand, it would make for a more frenzied atmosphere if it started way earlier when everyone is pumped. i know a lot of people will say 'oh it was crazy where i was" but thats because you were in the pit area or on the floor close to her--and forgive easier LOL. I do think she's turning people off and its sad because i think MDNA is a fantastic cd and the tour is very good.