Boston, TD Garden, September 4

Louise Oriole

An article about Boston and people from the tour

The boys in Madonna’s band

By Sarah Rodman

August 30, 2012

When Monte Pittman was 14 years old he had a dream that he was onstage playing guitar with Madonna. Pittman isn’t sure why he had this dream, since he was more of a Metallica/Anthrax/Slayer kid at the time. But the dream was so vivid that he remembers telling people about it. One of the people he told, eventually, was Madonna herself.

31madonnaside2[1].jpg

As a boy, Monte Pittman dreamed of playing guitar onstage with Madonna.

After starting out as her guitar teacher 12 years ago, Pittman has become a core member of Madonna’s band. When she brings her “MDNA” tour to the TD Garden on Tuesday it will be Pittman’s fifth live go-round as her lead guitarist.

“She’s the best boss you could ever ask for,” says Pittman on the phone from a Philadelphia tour stop. The Texas native has worked with Madonna since he was 24 and co-written several songs with her.

Not only, says Pittman, is she open to collaboration, but she also tells a good joke. He adds with a laugh, “but I’m not repeating any of them.”

Even more valuable, the boss supports her band members, says Pittman: “She’s selling my CD at her merch booth.”

Like many of Madonna’s band members, Pittman is also an artist in his own right and hopes to tour for his 2011 solo release, “Pain, Love & Destiny,” after the “MDNA” tour and get started on album number three, which he says will be “heavily influenced by classic Metallica and Pantera.”

On Tuesday, Pittman will be operating under the watchful eye of musical director/keyboardist Kevin Antunes, a New Bedford native who became Madonna’s right-hand man on her “Sticky & Sweet” tour.

Antunes, who designed the soundtrack for the recent “Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour by Cirque du Soleil,” says Madonna fans are in for some serious spectacle.

“It’s visually stunning,” says Antunes on the phone from a Paris tour stop. “The stage that we have, nothing has ever been built like this.”

Both musicians say to expect interesting re-arrangements of familiar tunes as well, on which they both had input. “It happens a bunch of different ways,” says Antunes of the live arrangements that find songs being mashed-up, medley-ized, stripped down, and reimagined. “But nothing happens with Madonna’s music without her blessing. It’s a nice little situation where I’m fortunate to be her copilot, just kind of riding along.”

A dream come true, for both musicians.

thanks...won them on twitter ..does anyone know if i am able to get rid of my other tix?? i dont want to get rid of them if i need them to get in.....help

You should be able to just give them to whomever you want.

At least that how it was through the ICON contest I won.

thanks...won them on twitter ..does anyone know if i am able to get rid of my other tix?? i dont want to get rid of them if i need them to get in.....help

Just hold on to them until you get to the venue. Whoever you decide to give them to, have them go with you. I'm sure you won't need them but you never know!

I didn't need them in Quebec City because they give me new tickets and bracelets. I give my other tix to someone on the street who didn't have tickets.

Loge 10 Row 5. I'll have a better view of LAV this time. I missed so much at the Philly show. I literally did not know where to turn my head.

I have the CT shirt and the Alt-Fringe cap. (Gotta respect my geek tendencies as well)

You'll be at the LA shows, right? I'm coming too....first 20 rows somewhere :) Not sure about second show yet.

Have fun!