9 August - St. Petersburg

Msig

After performing in St. Petersburg for the first time in 2009, Madonna is now returning to perform at the Peterburg Sports & Concert Complex.

The state-owned indoor arena was built in 1980. Concerts are done with a side-stage setup and a maximum capacity of 25,000

Alesso has been confirmed as the opening act.

Owenkeats is attending the show - anyone else?

640px-SKK_SPB.jpg

Venue map (from the official ticket vendor's website)

plan.png

Ticket prices

Standing, Fan Zone (Golden Circle): RUB 6,000 ($ 188)

Standing, General Attendance: RUB 3,000 ($ 94)

Reserved seating, back stand: RUB 4,500 - 15,000 ($ 141-469)

Reserved seating, side stands, sector 2: RUB 4,000 ($ 125)

Reserved seating, upper balconies: RUB 3,500 ($ 109)

• Tickets for the lower balconies and sector 1 of the side stands are sold out - I don't know the prices of those tickets.
  • No Early Entry or VIP packages have been put on sale for this show.
  • If you buy a ticket costing more than RUB 10,000, the MDNA album is included as a 'gift'.

Ticket sales

Since there are still about 1350 tickets available for the show - most of which are in the upper rows of the back stand - I assume that about 23,650 tickets have been sold so far.

LGBT controversy

The show is bound to spark controvery: As of 30 March 2012 "propaganda of homosexuality, bisexuality, transgenderism and pedophilia" has become illegal. The St. Petersburg 'anti-gay law' doesn't explicitly define what is considered "propaganda", but even speaking against the law is illegal.

City officials have said that Madonna will be charged if she doesn't alter her show. They are planning to attend the show, in order to "control its moral content".

Madonna on the matter:

I'm a freedom fighter.

My show

My songs

My work

My art

Is all about freedom of expression

Freedom to choose to speak to act

Always with humanity and compassion

I will come to St. Petersburg to speak up for the gay community, to support the gay community and to give strength and inspiration to anyone who is or feels opressed.

I don't run away from adversity.

I will speak during my show about this ridiculous atrocity.

You're without a doubt my favorite poster in Madonnanation :)

:smooch:

:blush:

Btw, in worst case, Madonna will have to pay a fine of $170, and the organizers might be find up to $15,000.

Why?

Because of the local "anti-gay" law (see the first post in the thread.

The following performances could be considered offensive/illegal by city officials:

Propaganda of homo-/bisexuality: The Erotic Candy Shop (M and Stephanie Nguyen sharing a lesbian kiss), Nobody Knows Me (several same-sex couples kissing)

Propaganda of transgenderism: Girl Gone Wild (male dancers in high heels), Vogue (cross-dressing male dancers)

Propaganda of pedophilia: The Erotic Candy Shop (M and Brahim making out on stage) ;)

And then there's the speech. As far as I understand, even speaking against the law is illegal.

Because of the local "anti-gay" law (see the first post in the thread.

The following performances could be considered offensive/illegal by city officials:

Propaganda of homo-/bisexuality: The Erotic Candy Shop (M and Stephanie Nguyen sharing a lesbian kiss), Nobody Knows Me (several same-sex couples kissing)

Propaganda of transgenderism: Girl Gone Wild (male dancers in high heels), Vogue (cross-dressing male dancers)

Propaganda of pedophilia: The Erotic Candy Shop (M and Brahim making out on stage) ;)

And then there's the speech. As far as I understand, even speaking against the law is illegal.

Let's all hope Bobby Brown is in jail when she gets there.

Guest Owenkeats

Ok....so Im starting to get a bit worried now.....theres gonna be arrested outside the venue and the US EMBASSY has issued a warning to attendees of the concert. Im in St Petersburg now, on holiday. There is no publicity anywhere for the show, apart from a few English language magazines and the St Petersburg Time Out mag. I hope its going to be safe and that it doesnt get cancelled. Im not changin my fuckin show!! Anyone else going?

Ok....so Im starting to get a bit worried now.....theres gonna be arrested outside the venue and the US EMBASSY has issued a warning to attendees of the concert. Im in St Petersburg now, on holiday. There is no publicity anywhere for the show, apart from a few English language magazines and the St Petersburg Time Out mag. I hope its going to be safe and that it doesnt get cancelled. Im not changin my fuckin show!! Anyone else going?

I just realized that gay fans attending the show might be arrested if they do anything that might be perceived as "gay propaganda" :|

I just realized that gay fans attending the show might be arrested if they do anything that might be perceived as "gay propaganda" :|

Are they ready to arrest the entire stadium so? :confused:

I don't want to offend Madonna's russian fans, but Russia is a fucking shit country and some "laws" they have there are the perfect proof.

Also, there are always some stupid threats against M when she goes there. The next time, she should just skip the country.

U.S. Embassy Moscow and U.S. Consulate General St. Petersburg

SECURITY MESSAGE FOR U.S. CITIZENS:

MADONNA CONCERTS

August 7, 2012

This is to alert U.S. citizens in Russia who are planning to attend the Madonna concerts in Moscow on Tuesday, August 7, or in St. Petersburg on Thursday, August 9, that the U.S. Consulate General in St. Petersburg has received information regarding a threat of physical violence against spectators and performers at the St. Petersburg concert on August 9. The U.S. Embassy in Moscow and the U.S. Consulate General in St. Petersburg have shared the information with appropriate Russian law enforcement authorities. Russian authorities have indicated to the Embassy that they are taking appropriate measures in light of this information. While we expect that enhanced security measures will be put in place at both concerts, U.S. citizens are reminded to remain vigilant regarding their personal security, and to be aware of their surroundings at all times, especially in crowded areas.

Will Madonna join Pussy Riot in jail?

Maybe that's part of Guy O's non-traditional promo? :stir:

back in the day, this news, madonna fighting for freedom, would be everywhere...

it very likely will be in the morning, what are you talking about, news outlets are already reporting it (at least here in the UK)

The next time, she should just skip the country.

I'm worried about Madonna and all fans which are attending the show, too but at the same time I am happy that her millions of fans in 'these kind of countries' get a chance to see her and that she is willing to speak about these issues.

Russian campaigners have written a letter to Madonna, urging her to stand up for gay rights and freedom of expression during her concert in St Petersburg tomorrow (9 August).

The Alliance of Straights for LGBT Equality group are calling on the Material Girl to ‘break the wall of misunderstanding and intolerance’ when she brings her MDNA tour to Russia’s second largest city.

In a letter sent to the queen of pop, the group thank the star for publicly supporting female punk band Pussy Riot, who are currently on trial over religious hooliganism charges after staging an anti-Putin protest in a Moscow cathedral.

They urged Madonna to do the same for the LGBT community in St Petersburg, where an anti-gay law banning so-called ‘homosexual propaganda’ was passed earlier this year.

‘Today in Russia lesbians, gays, bisexual and transgender people are being denied [sic] increasingly more of their rights to express themselves, to be themselves and live openly as it befits free people,’ read the letter, which claimed LGBT citizens feel like ‘social outcasts’ in their own country.

The letter asks the singer to make a statement, expressing her support for ‘tolerance and equality’ and show ‘solidarity’ in the fight against ‘the anti-gay laws, the homophobia, the hatred, the discrimination and the violence.’

‘Your voice, the voice of a true freedom of mind and freedom of expression fighter, is very important for us,’ the Alliance wrote.

‘Not only Russian LGBT community will hear you. Millions of people will hear you.

‘Your words will have a real influence on the public opinion and will help to break the wall of misunderstanding and intolerance.

‘Your voice will become the voice of those who are being constrained to keep silence.’

Madonna already vowed in March to speak out against homophobia in Russia and St Petersburg’s anti-gay law.

However, the star risks being arrested if she speaks out for the gay community and the city’s assemblyman Vitaly Milanov, who authored the homophobic bill, has called for her to be prosecuted if she does.

Activists have previously called for Madonna to cancel her Russian leg of the tour over the continued persecution of LGBT people.

Alliance of Straights for LGBT Equality is a Russian non-governmental organization based in St Petersburg.

It was founded in May, 2012 by a group of heterosexual people who support the fight for equal rights for gays, lesbians and transgender people.

GSNews

:mellow:

Guest Xanthium

I hope Madonna speaks out against the anti-gay laws in St. Petersburg. And they can go fuck themselves if they try to arrest her. That shit didn't work in the fascist state of Toronto and it ain't working here!

LAST TIME I WAS ON TOUR SEAN WAS IN JAIL. I GUESS IT'S MY TURN.

Has there ever been another performer who has faced arrest, fines, protests, security alerts and / or has caused authorities, politicians and religious figures to make statements as MUCH as Madonna has over the sum of her career? Like is there anyone that comes close to the consistent level of this she has received?

Guest pedrohdi

This Woman scares the shit out of everybody! I don´t believe she'll be arrested, but i'm sure they'll try to! This is going to be interesting.