The VMG Salsoul Vs. Madonna & Co. "Vogue" Lawsuit

FreeMySoul

Besides "I Hate Madonna" articles, now it's popular to sue her for random shit. Like the Banana people.

One of the comments

I'm a professional arranger and these people don't have a hope in hell of winning this lawsuit. Lawyers should go to school and get music degrees before they take on these far-fetched money-grabbing cases as most of the claims are baseless (no pun intended). Madonna has a much better case against Gaga for "Born This Way". You can't sue for a horn stab that falls on the same beat.

Why does Madonna get the blame and not the producer? Shep has been using elements from Salsoul's "Love Break" for years. You can even hear elements in Deeper and Deeper.

Listen:

[media=]

[/media]

I mean really, you can list so many of Shep's remixes and album cuts that contain elements from the song. The ITG remix being one.

Why does Madonna get the blame and not the producer? Shep has been using elements from Salsoul's "Love Break" for years. You can even hear elements in Deeper and Deeper.

Listen:

[media=]

[/media]

I mean really, you can list so many of Shep's remixes and album cuts that contain elements from the song. The ITG remix being one.

Remix and Additional Production by Shep Pettibone.

He should sue himself. :s703::superman:

Listen:

[media=]

[/media]

OMG, you solved the long, lost mystery of what the "celebrate, celebrate, celebrate" line in the vogue remix came from! lol :)

So why did it take so long? VMG Salsoul claims the samples aren't obvious ... and were only recently detected thanks to new technology that can help isolate and identify individual sounds.

So it was detected just because of the use of new technology?

is that bitch Aisha behind this? they can only get money, but they will never get a minute of fame. sue away.

Besides "I Hate Madonna" articles, now it's popular to sue her for random shit. Like the Banana people.

One of the comments

I'm a professional arranger and these people don't have a hope in hell of winning this lawsuit. Lawyers should go to school and get music degrees before they take on these far-fetched money-grabbing cases as most of the claims are baseless (no pun intended). Madonna has a much better case against Gaga for "Born This Way". You can't sue for a horn stab that falls on the same beat.

Didn't M lose some lawsuit in Belgium over "Frozen" though where there were only like three or four notes that were similar?

The "hey hey hey..." is similar to something in The Staple Singers' "Respect Yourself"- but no "sampling."

I still don't get the whole "Frozen" thing- I listened to the comparison and don't really hear anything that would warrant such hubub.

Oh wait a minute, this has been known about for years and years.. even by fans. Why now? :confused: They MUST have gotten some level of clearance cause it's too blatantly obvious and well known in dance music to let pass.

I have a question, Express Yourself has some elements from an old song? Correct me if i'm wrong. Thank you :)

Yes, it's a Stax homage and even quotes the "Respect Yourself" part at one point as a clear nod. The choruses are clearly similar, but that was the intention. Bruce Willis also had a hit version with it in 1988 while LAP was being made, so that may have been one inspiration - another was Nikki Harris, Madonna got the idea for the song from her.

And yes, Pettibone's 1982 mix of "Love Break" cropped up in many things after meaning they don't have a case. A remixer must think he has license to use his old work, even if it's rearrangements of other peoples. He also reused his Tranet Cackson remix in "Vogue".

And yes, Pettibone's 1982 mix of "Love Break" cropped up in many things after meaning they don't have a case. A remixer must think he has license to use his old work, even if it's rearrangements of other peoples. He also reused his Tranet Cackson remix in "Vogue".

Who doesn't have a case?

When did laws about sampling change?

how can this happen? she is so original......

Sampling a horn stab and stealing the whole fucking melody to a song are two completely different things. I'm sure you can find something else Madonna has "borrowed" to make your case but in this instance your sarcasm is an epic FAIL.

Sampling a horn stab and stealing the whole fucking melody to a song are two completely different things.

Yes, but that same horn stab is a VERY big and instantly recognisable hook of the song, regardless.

This is another one that wasn't mentioned, Inner City publicly slammed her back in the day for the perceived thievery of Vogue from this (verses from their chorus). I remembered that for years and had no idea what song they were talking about till I discovered it on here recently.

lol @ that US dance show :confessions:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/07/13/madonna-sued-over-1990-hit-vogue-producerwriter-will-know-the-answer

Share this article

Tweet

Madonna Sued over 1990 Hit “Vogue”–Producer/Writer Will Know the Answer

Madonna Sued over 1990 Hit “Vogue”–Producer/Writer Will Know the Answer

madonna-3.jpg

07/13/12 12:51am Roger Friedman 0

Tweet

Poor Madonna! What a year she’s having. Madonna is being sued 22 years after her hit song, “Vogue,” came out. Apparently new computer programs can detect samples hidden in records. Both “Vogue” and a 1977 disco record by the Salsoul Orchestra were each written and produced by Richard “Shep” Pettibone. (Madonna helies heavily, let’s say, on collaborators.) If that name sounds familiar it’s because in addition to working with Madonna, Pettibone remixed almost all the records of the late 80s and early 90s. That’s why so many of them sound the same. But early in his career he worked with Salsoul Records and the self named group.

Salsoul Orchestra was the kind of thing that disco haters really hated in the late 70s. It was like soft funk mixed with soft jazz and then whipped into a smooth frappe that made you gag while you desperately hunted out the Clash, the Jam or Elvis Costello. Anyway, I digress. Seems Pettibone is accused of pulling some old horns and strings off of a Salsoul hit called “Ooh (I Love It)” and burying them in “Vogue” to give it its propulsion. Frankly, the original record by SalSoul sounds like it borrowed from Van McCoy’s “The Hustle.” Now everyone who worked with Pettibone — and the list is long, long long– should go back and see what he hid in their records. He remixed a lot of Janet Jackson’s and the Pet Shop Boys’ hit records. But I’d start by analyzing Pettibone’s Madonna contributions:

Madonna – Where’s the Party (1986)

Madonna – Into the Groove (1985)

Madonna – Causing a Commotion (1987)

Madonna – Like a Prayer (1989)

Madonna – Express Yourself (1989)

Madonna – Keep it Together (1990)

Madonna – Vogue (1990)

Madonna – Justify My Love (1990)

Madonna – Rescue Me (1991)

Madonna – Erotica (1992)

Madonna – Deeper and Deeper (1992)

Madonna – This Used to Be my Playground (1992)

Madonna – Bad Girl (1993)

Madonna – Fever (1993)

Madonna – Rain (1993)

Guest FrozenEyes

Listen:

[media=]

[/media]

I don't hear Vogue AT ALL. But I do hear Erotica/Thief of Hearts due to the drums at about :25 seconds in. :D

Yes, but that same horn stab is a VERY big and instantly recognisable hook of the song, regardless.

This is another one that wasn't mentioned, Inner City publicly slammed her back in the day for the perceived thievery of Vogue from this (verses from their chorus). I remembered that for years and had no idea what song they were talking about till I discovered it on here recently.

[media=]

[/media]

lol @ that US dance show :confessions:

I haven't watched Blond Ambition in a long time, but she did that "there ain't nobody better, ain't no body better babe" between ITG and Vogue, is that from this song, or something else?