Lip-synced songs on MDNA tour

Mensch

Anyone else begin to notice that she's beginning to sing more and more live vocals on the previously mimed tracks. Although my only comfort about the lip-syncing was a discussion I had with a friend who's an opera singer. He said singing that much for that many dates is extremely bad for your vocals and that it was smart that she was miming 35% of the show. However, if she's pushing herself to sing live, I'm thrilled about it.

Transgression

Girl Gone Wild (partly mimed)

Revolver (sounded mimed at first shows but more recently sounds live with backing track assistance)

Gang Bang (singing over backing track)

Papa Don't Preach (live but sometimes I question if it is)

Hung Up (is it live?)

I Don't Give A (chorus mimed)

Prophecy Segment

Best Friend (interlude)

Express Yourself (live with assisted back-up vocals)

Give Me All Your (fully mimed)

Turn Up The Radio (low backing track)

Open Your Heart (live)

Masterpiece (live)

Masculine/Feminine

Justify My Love (interlude)

Vogue (fully mimed)

Candy Shop (live)

Human Nature (live)

Like A Virgin (live)

Redemption

Nobody Knows Me (interlude)

I'm Addicted (I'm not too sure about this. Seems a bit mimed)

I'm A Sinner (sounds live to me)

Like A Prayer (sounds live to me)

Celebration (was mimed on first dates and recently began singing first verse live and rest backing track during dancing bits)

I think there are already several threads dedicated this. :lol:

I didn't find any which is why I opened it. I guess someone should close this and redirect me. I'd like to discuss this since I've only recently started noticing it more, especially with Celebration.

Some mod can probably just merge them. I think there are 3 other threads :lmao: Check out Carta's posts in the Australian threads (I think), he went through the different songs (and how live they are) in his reviews. He posted some good info if you're interested in the subject.

I'm pretty sure the chorus of I Don't Give A isn't mimed. I've watched videos of that song plenty and it seems totally live to me. The "I do ten things all at once and if you have a problem, I don't give a.." part sometimes sounds so shaky that it has to be live.

I'm pretty sure the chorus of I Don't Give A isn't mimed. I've watched videos of that song plenty and it seems totally live to me. The "I do ten things all at once and if you have a problem, I don't give a.." part sometimes sounds so shaky that it has to be live.

the chorus has a heavy backing track

but thats all

Some mod can probably just merge them. I think there are 3 other threads :lmao: Check out Carta's posts in the Australian threads (I think), he went through the different songs (and how live they are) in his reviews. He posted some good info if you're interested in the subject.

Thanks for the name check, Louise! I didn't actually mention any of this in my reviews, though :) I tend to disagree with a lot of people about what's live and what's not, so I don't discuss it much (I argue that stuff is live when others don't believe that it is). Two people can listen to the same show and hear completely different vocals, so it's usually better not to fight with others about it :)

Papa Don't Preach (live but sometimes I question if it is)

Hung Up (is it live?)

I Don't Give A (chorus mimed)

Express Yourself (live with assisted back-up vocals)

I'm Addicted (I'm not too sure about this. Seems a bit mimed)

Papa Don't Preach is definitely live - at one of the recent shows, she forgot the lyrics.

Hung Up is most likely fully lipped.

I Don't Give A is live, but with pre-recorded backing vocals during the chorus.

Express Yourself is 100% live.

I'm Addicted is live, possibly with pre-recorded backing vocals in some parts

Thanks for the name check, Louise! I didn't actually mention any of this in my reviews, though :) I tend to disagree with a lot of people about what's live and what's not, so I don't discuss it much (I argue that stuff is live when others don't believe that it is). Two people can listen to the same show and hear completely different vocals, so it's usually better not to fight with others about it :)

I def don't want to argue about it. I'm just interested to know if anyone's noticed whether its slowly progressing towards more and more live vocals. Of course it would be smart if she left some stuff mimed, to save her voice and also because of all the dancing, but I was thrilled when I heard celebration'slive verse. It just sounds nice to hear her voice.

I'd thought Revolver was 100% lipped but this clip suggests otherwise

:D @ 00:29

Yeah I noticed that too. I was hoping for some shaky bits too confirm it but maybe it's easier to sing with a faint voice (I line'em up and watch them falllll....) with that vocoder and it sounds good, so who knows. Sounds a little perfect for me though.

I'm just interested to know if anyone's noticed whether its slowly progressing towards more and more live vocals.

In case of "Celebration", definitely yes.

Sorry, must've confused you with someone else then. I thought you had talked about Celebration not being 100% mimed & some other songs in the different reviews you posted. :)

Guest bluejean

i think Revolver is probably the most boring performance of the tour, that gun choreography gets tired pretty quickly.

Totally disagree. I love that performance, it's the best thing that will ever happen to that shitty song.

Guest bluejean

And to answer the question, yes I have noticed she seems to be including more and more live vocals through the show.

Papa has always been 100% live imo. GGW I suspect is a fake "live" vocal like 'Vogue' but I'm not 100% sure. Alot of the show that seemed mimed to begin with seems to be live now.

No problems, Louise! You said some really nice things to me in the Australian thread, which I appreciated a lot!! :thumbsup:

I actually think that Madonna's singing almost everything. I do think the mix between her mic and the supporting vocals (track) varies from show to show in some songs, though. "Gang Bang" definitely comes to mind. She's definitely singing/speaking, but sometimes, her live vocals sound louder than the supporting track.

Mmm My sisters friend worked on a tour in the box (spice girls, he's also done cliff Richard lol) He told her about the spice girls he was in charge of the shows vocals, turning up the track when they needed it and down when he thought they didnt. The last spice tour was apparently totally live. I havent heard from him in years so god knows, its probably all done by computers now.

No problems, Louise! You said some really nice things to me in the Australian thread, which I appreciated a lot!! :thumbsup:

I actually think that Madonna's singing almost everything. I do think the mix between her mic and the supporting vocals (track) varies from show to show in some songs, though. "Gang Bang" definitely comes to mind. She's definitely singing/speaking, but sometimes, her live vocals sound louder than the supporting track.

Yup. I totally notice it but it's not distracting. It sounds fitting to hear the album vocals with her singing over it cause the vocals are mixed so clearly. Without them, she wouldn't sound strong enough. Well, that and her being fierce and moving around killing everyone!

"Celebration" sounded completely live in Birmingham (aside from "come join the party...'cause anybody just won't do" etc. in the chorus, when Madonna sings live "It's a celebration" etc.). Aside from the obvious backing vocals (e.g. when there are two different lines overlapping, and all of the "come join the party" stuff), she's singing the whole song live.

Guest bluejean

'Celebration' is one of my favourite performances on this tour. I've always loved this song and so glad to see it done justice. She looks like grandma in a mini skirt and wig in the video so it's great to see a sexy, youthful cool Madonna for this track too.

I def don't want to argue about it. I'm just interested to know if anyone's noticed whether its slowly progressing towards more and more live vocals. Of course it would be smart if she left some stuff mimed, to save her voice and also because of all the dancing, but I was thrilled when I heard celebration'slive verse. It just sounds nice to hear her voice.

i have the same feeling, from the first concertsb that i saw on the net or in barcelona, to the one in Paris, i felt a progression towards live vocals.Papa don´t preach it´s live, yes.Girl gone wild, partly mimed, celebration started being mymed but now i think it has only parts that are my med, I don´t give a it´s live, and turn up the radio, HN,LAV,LAP,CS...quite a lot!

And to answer the question, yes I have noticed she seems to be including more and more live vocals through the show.

GGW I suspect is a fake "live" vocal like 'Vogue' but I'm not 100% sure. Alot of the show that seemed mimed to begin with seems to be live now.

I thought the same about GGW, but listen gto the different shows...her voice sounds different on them!, so maybe it has a strong backing track and she sings on it

For some numbers she's singing over a backing track - as she's done on previous tours

You can clearly hear that if you download audios of different shows and listen to them on your ipod/ with headphones. Prime examples are GGW or GB.

i think this tour is the tour where she lips the most

ggw

revolver

gang bang (only the end is live)

hung up

papa dont preach (chorus lipped)

i don't give a (chorus lipped)

gime me all your luvin'

turn up the radio (heavy backings)

vogue

im addicted

im a sinner (chorus lipped)

like a prayer ( heavy backing track, partly lipped -> check the coimbra vid, u hear she's singing the wrong first verse and you hear the backing track)

celebration (mostly lipped, some lines live)..