Billboard Boxscore Thread: MDNA Tour grosses $232.9 million so far

MadFan

I have this theory that the second leg of S&S was to make up for the $$ she lost in her divorce. The record breaking was just a bonus. She herself said that being on tour and uber busy kept her sanity. Now there's no need to do it so I don't think we'll have MDNA2. In fact, she seems to have been dreading being on tour since the 2nd or 3rd show; yes, she still loves the stage and gives it all but on every interview she mentions how tired she is and how she hasn't done anything fun for a while.

I tend to think that Madonna is a creator more than a performer. I think she enjoys the conceptualization and preparation of a tour. Once it's created and she's performed a few times she is ready to come up with something else. She moves on. I bet she must be dying to write an album or make a movie or write a book... having to do the same show on tour for all these months must be driving her crazy.

Wise post.

It's not like M to drop songs from the set list. She did LAV while freezing her ass in Mexico. I don't undwerstand what happened in Sao Paulo, but i'm sure LAV will be back for the last shows.

M said she always enjoys the first fews shows and last few shows on tour. everything between that is a struggle. She also said she can't believe Guy got her to be on the road for so long...still she gives her everything at every show till the end.

I can't lie, I would've been HEATED if she skipped LAV/LS at my show. I'm sure everyone had a wonderful time anyways and the rest of the show is truly phenomenal but THAT performance is the pinnacle of the MDNA show and IMO a peak in her performance career. She totally had us in the palm of her hands in that performance. I hope she brings it back for the remaining shows.

Maybe the piano broke or something lol

The piano wasnt broke. I was at the tip of the triangle. I could see it underneath the stage. The piano player rehearsed by himself before the show with it. And when she went down after human nature they were there ready to put the piano up. Then when she went to change they took out the piano from there.

I can't lie, I would've been HEATED if she skipped LAV/LS at my show. I'm sure everyone had a wonderful time anyways and the rest of the show is truly phenomenal but THAT performance is the pinnacle of the MDNA show and IMO a peak in her performance career. She totally had us in the palm of her hands in that performance. I hope she brings it back for the remaining shows.

:( I feel bad now.

Yes, she gets bored easily. It's the same reason why she never released 7 or 8 singles from her '80s albums (when she could easily have); or why she never had super-long tours until very recently; or obviously the fact that she reinvents her image etc.

We love her because of it so let's not blame her if she's bored of doing the same show for the past 7 months and wants to end it. Some fans are too obsessive with numbers. Now that they can't obsess over chart stats because she's no longer a chart darling they have picked tour stats. Oy vey!

AGREE

She doesn't need to break any records (the current record belongs to her anyway!) As much as i'd love her to break another record,...honestly what's the point? if the point is the money, dont worry, she'll keep touring again and again but most likely with a different show, thats why we love her, because she changes i dont want her to stuck on this tour for another year just so she breaks a freaking record

I do :wow:

If any tour should be taken to the masses it's this one. It's quintessential Madonna and an important milestone in her career.....not to mention a phenomenal production.

I hope it's true......but only if it comes here :)

I do :wow:

If any tour should be taken to the masses it's this one. It's quintessential Madonna and an important milestone in her career.....not to mention a phenomenal production.

I hope it's true......but only if it comes here :)

ok, i must agree Australia would be the only reason why i think this show should continue..but not europe again!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a443944/madonna-concerts-outsell-lady-gaga-three-to-one-in-latin-america.html

Madonna concerts outsell Lady GaGa three to one in Latin America

Published Saturday, Dec 8 2012, 20:13 GMT | By Paul Martinovic |

50 comments

Recommend 1k

Madonna tickets have outsold Lady GaGa's three to one in Latin America, it has been revealed.

The statistic is even more surprising when taking into account the fact that tickets for Madonna's 'MDNA' shows are three times as expensive as those for GaGa's concerts.

a8pbkjecuaacg4z.jpg

© Twitter

showbiz_madonna.jpg

© QMI Agency / Rex Features

The Examiner reports that GaGa's South American dates have had lacklustre sales considering the size of the venues she was booked into.

GaGa claimed her Peru show had an audience of 50,000, whereas actual ticket sales were reported to be around 17,000, with many tickets for the show being given away free as part of a buy-one-get-one-free deal.

Many of GaGa's Latin American shows also suffered from similarly low turnouts. However, Madonna regularly played in the same area to sold-out crowds of more than 55,000.

GaGa's tours have fared much better in Europe and South Africa, and the 26-year-old is set to launch her 'Born This Way Ball' tour in North America next month.

The 'Paparazzi' singer and the 'Give Me All Your Luvin' star have been engaged in a feud after Madonna began bringing attention to the similarities between her song 'Express Yourself' and GaGa's 'Born This Way' on her most recent tour.

GaGa was also reported to have turned down an offer to perform with Madonna on the 'MDNA' tour.

http://www.digitalsp...in-america.html

Madonna concerts outsell Lady GaGa three to one in Latin America

Published Saturday, Dec 8 2012, 20:13 GMT | By Paul Martinovic |

50 comments

Recommend 1k

Madonna tickets have outsold Lady GaGa's three to one in Latin America, it has been revealed.

The statistic is even more surprising when taking into account the fact that tickets for Madonna's 'MDNA' shows are three times as expensive as those for GaGa's concerts.

NME.com have also published an article on this matter, calling the statistic "embarassing to Gaga".

http://www.nme.com/news/madonna/67632

unfortunately this "lady gaga" has a lot of fans including "journalists" who'll try to spin this the other way and give a few jabs at madonna. expect them to "fight back" ;) btw can this moved to the gaga topic (just so we dont annoy the other fans who don't care about this? ;)/>)

Cant wait for American stats to roll in for her crappy tour. Like I said, add a Yankee Stadium gig to your US leg Gaga. I DARE you!

They might not get reported. I don't think its a given. I recall some of Kylie's dates weren't reported (particularly the ones we know were 1/4 full).

I'm sure all of Gaga's dates (like Madonna's) will be reported as sellouts

But the points still remember: apart from the UK and Ireland, Madonna has played to more audiences per country and has made more money per all her shows than Gaga.

Guest gang bang

I WANT THAT MADONNA STILL BREAKING RECORDSSSSSSSSSS, according me , MDNA tour grossed $ 300 m by now , with the 1st concert in Argentina ..

LIVE NATION BITCHES I NEED THE BOXSCORE ...

Guest gang bang

I think that dancer's tweet is pretty vague. I don't see any 2nd leg info yet, although it was around Christmas 2008 that S&S Part 2 was being rumored.

I guess if she does opt for a new leg, she will go where she wants to go, but the money would definitely be better in Australia and Asia than in Europe again. How many dates could she possibly sell-out in Europe? Her numbers were significantly lower this time in that region. I just don't get it if she pushes a whole new leg on a continent with obvious sales fatigue. Sure, London and Rome could probably bring the love, but I am not sure about very many other places.

let see

Asia..Japan , India , Korea , Taiwan

Africa...Egypt ,South Africa (if Gaga could go there , why Madonna not)

Europe..UK ,Italy,France ,Hungary , Rep Czech, Greece, Russia for sure (now is a hero to her fans), Letonia , Lituania , Estonia , Bielorrusia , Rumania , Bulgaria

America ,. US again, Puerto rico, Costa rica,Venezuela ,Colombia again, Ecuador ,Peru and Paraguay,it will be nice if Madonna goes to all places where Gaga flopped in Latin America, in order to calm down little vomits , there s so many places where Madonna can go

Finally the 2014 new tour can start in Australia , in order to destroy WHALEriah

I'm sure all of Gaga's dates (like Madonna's) will be reported as sellouts

But the points still remember: apart from the UK and Ireland, Madonna has played to more audiences per country and has made more money per all her shows than Gaga.

They can't be reported as sell-outs if they are not, that's why when any act has poor attendance figures, not even close to sell-out (as for Gaga for her SA leg, 17,000/50,000) the management choses not to release figures to BB. Look at Kylie's 2011 tour, only 32 gigs reported out of a total of 77.

You must also remember that any attendance figure reported on Billboard is not representative of the venue capacity but instead of the expected attendance for that venue, set out by the touring company/management before ANY ticket is even put on sale.

They just establish a figure of people they expect to buy tickets and you can't tamper with that once tickets are sold and the gig has been played. In Madonna's case for instance her Billboard 2008 figure for Nice was 42,000 which corresponds to venue capacity, for MDNA they reported a 29.000/29,000, but having been there that night, the venue was visibly packed, hence that 29,000 represents the figure that LN gave to Billboard back in February as an *expected attendance* figure, because you couldn't possibly see the other 13,000 people missing. There would have had to be a massive hole somewhere and there wasn't.

For 2012 they expected in the range of 29,000 people to show up and they did so that's to reported as a sell-out because it matched the figure LN gave to Billboard back in February. If anything she sold 13,000 tickets more because Charles Ehrman was as packed as 4 years ago.

let see

Africa...Egypt ,South Africa (if Gaga could go there , why Madonna not)

I doubt Madonna would do a show in South Africa. Or at least a production like MDNA. For logistical reasons alone this would most likely result in a financial loss. Quite frankly, I have doubts Gaga made any money with her shows no matter how many tickets she has sold in South Africa. She did it for her ego.

Officially the top tour of the year, per Billboard. Though this wouldn't include all dates, as the tour continued past Nov. 13.

http://www.billboard.com/column/year-in-music-2012/top-25-tours-of-2012-1008051082.story#/column/year-in-music-2012/top-25-tours-of-2012-1008051082.story

Artists are ranked by gross, compiled from Billboard Boxscores reported from Nov. 9, 2011, to Nov. 13, 2012.

1. Madonna

Total Gross: $228,406,085

Total Attendance: 1,635,176

Number of Shows: 72

Number of Sell-Outs: 72

2. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

Total Gross: $199,371,791

Total Attendance: 2,165,925

Number of Sell-Outs: 54

3. Roger Waters

Total Gross: $186,466,703

Total Attendance: 1,680,042

Number of Sell-Outs: 51

4. Michael Jackson The Immortal World Tour by Cirque Du Soleil

Total Gross: $147,310,505

Total Attendance: 1,374,482

Number of Shows: 183

Number of Sell-Outs: 9

5. Coldplay

Total Gross: $147,188,828

Total Attendance: 1,811,787

Number of Shows: 67

Number of Sell-Outs: 56

6. Lady Gaga

Total Gross: $124,879,545

Total Attendance: 1,111,099

Number of Shows: 65

Number of Sell-Outs: 65

7. Kenny Chesney & Tim McGraw

Total Gross: $96,458,890

Total Attendance: 1,085,382

Number of Shows: 23

8. Van Halen

Total Gross: $54,425,548

Total Attendance: 522,296

Number of Shows: 46

9, Jay-Z & Kanye West

Total Gross: $46,986,464

Total Attendance: 371,777

Number of Shows: 31

Number of Sell-Outs: 15

10. Andre Rieu

Total Gross: $46,785,717

Total Attendance: 490,165

Number of Shows: 99

Number of Sell-Outs: 2

11. Dave Matthews Band

Total Gross: $41,433,182

Total Attendance: 757,629

Number of Shows: 41

Number of Sell-Outs: 17

12. Barbra Streisand

Total Gross: $40,657,170

Total Attendance: 154,287

Number of Shows: 12

Number of Sell-Outs: 12

13. Jason Aldean

Total Gross: $39,956,703

Total Attendance: 984,229

Number of Shows: 59

Number of Sell-Outs: 59

14. Lady Antebellum

Total Gross: $38,358,801

Total Attendance: 860,065

Number of Shows: 88

Number of Sell-Outs: 72

15. Red Hot Chili Peppers

Total Gross: $33,911,873

Total Attendance: 549,028

Number of Shows: 42

Number of Sell-Outs: 24

16. Brad Paisley

Total Gross: $33,794,719

Total Attendance: 485,852

Number of Shows: 51

Number of Sell-Outs: 31

17. Nickelback

Total Gross: $33,790,267

Total Attendance: 492,492

Number of Shows: 50

Number of Sell-Outs: 7

18. Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Total Gross: $33,370,711

Total Attendance: 673,575

Number of Shows: 99

Number of Sell-Outs: 13

19. Elton John

Total Gross: $32,920,986

Total Attendance: 240,381

Number of Shows: 38

Number of Sell-Outs:25

20. Justin Bieber

Total Gross: $30,667,737

Total Attendance: 402,710

Number of Shows: 29

Number of Sell-Outs: 28

21. Rod Stewart

Total Gross: $30,158,491

Total Attendance: 201,912

Number of Shows: 35

Number of Sell-Outs: 24

22. Neil Diamond

Total Gross: $29,910,078

Total Attendance: 317,824

Number of Shows: 30

Number of Sell-Outs: 6

23. Pearl Jam

Total Gross: $27,363,430

Total Attendance: 337,613

Number of Shows: 11

Number of Sell-Outs: 0

24. Taylor Swift

Total Gross: $26,310,160

Total Attendance: 285,715

Number of Shows: 21

Number of Sell-Outs: 21

25. Rascal Flatts

Total Gross: $26,155,360

Total Attendance: 612,243

Number of Shows: 45

Number of Sell-Outs: 21

For 2012 they expected in the range of 29,000 people to show up and they did so that's to reported as a sell-out because it matched the figure LN gave to Billboard back in February. If anything she sold 13,000 tickets more because Charles Ehrman was as packed as 4 years ago.

This theory has been proven false. Live Nation would be committing tax fraud if they under reported attendance to any show. They are bound by law to report accurate figures. Also, it would mean that Pollstar, a third party boxscore business with no loyalty to any touring company or artist, would be reporting a different figure for a venue like Nice. They reported the exact same figure. We've been over this.

This theory has been proven false. Live Nation would be committing tax fraud if they under reported attendance to any show. They are bound by law to report accurate figures. Also, it would mean that Pollstar, a third party boxscore business with no loyalty to any touring company or artist, would be reporting a different figure for a venue like Nice. They reported the exact same figure. We've been over this.

Why would it be under reporting if the figure established in Feb was 29,000? I was there and the stadium was full. Were u there? I don't remember so. There couldn't possibly have been 13,000 less people than in 2008 because there would have had to be some kind of hole somewhere and there wasn't. It's not really hard to comprehend but continue to see it how you want to see it.

How sad that Taylor swift is now the touring force that pearl jam ( no sell outs) is.

I thought those sell out sagas/ dramas were a little dodge ( particular with gaga) but seeing the results you see many non sell out shows ( cough Michael j:) so must be accurate reporting.

Ps if anyone knows Elton please send him and mdna's results side by side- that should give him something new to bitch about:)

Why would it be under reporting if the figure established in Feb was 29,000? I was there and the stadium was full. Were u there? I don't remember so. There couldn't possibly have been 13,000 less people than in 2008 because there would have had to be some kind of hole somewhere and there wasn't. It's not really hard to comprehend but continue to see it how you want to see it.

Mdna stage is much bigger , also depending on the stadium its has to be on the middle of the field and not on the end like in S&S