William Orbit's Thoughts on MDNA

karbatal

Guest groovyguy

https://twitter.com/#!/WilliamOrbit

March 28

William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

@xolondon Yes, Jean Baptiste at 3:17 on Sinner. And Priscilla on the LS chant. Glad you like the fireworks at the end!

March 9

William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

Perhaps not following the promo ‘rule book’. But we may see their innovations cropping up in next year’s ‘rule book’. Go Guy!

9 Mar William Orbit William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

Madonna and Guy Oseary know what they’re doing and they are doing it with panache. As will be apparent over coming months.

I will say, from my observations, it’s working brilliantly. Just look at the results

I’ve received a few tweets questioning marketing strategy for MDMA. I'm not in marketing , and no expert, but . . .

8 Mar William Orbit William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

Now that the MDNA tracklist has been confirmed I can innocuously post: "just popping out for a sandwich" . . .

8 Mar William Orbit William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

Just wait till you hear the acoustic version of 'Love Spent'! Ooops, was I supposed to mention that?

7 Mar William Orbit William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

THE QUEEN. who will RULE the waves from Mar27 !!!!!

2 Mar William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

But I will say that there is some acoustic loveliness in there, amongst all the other delights.

2 Mar William Orbit William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

otherwise I'd have my head chopped off and fed to the wild ravens by her Majesty!

2 Mar William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

Savage, Sexy, Heartfelt, Frisky. Thumpin', Bumpin', Naughty, Risky.

1 Mar William Orbit William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

I definitely recommend people get the 'Deluxe' version of MDNA. The extra tracks are well worth it

25 Feb William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

only a month now till MDNA hits the streets. Can't wait. In the meantime a bit of R+R. Bring it on!!!

7 Feb William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

Are we ready for March Madness?!?! @msolveig @BennyBenassi @DemoCastellon @guyoseary (answer: Yes!!)

5 Feb William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

Can’t wait for u all to hear MDNA on Mar 26. And Laurie Mayer's lovely melodies on "Falling Free". Follow @LaurieMayer!

21 Jan William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

@MDNA2012 am not one for big promo, hoping the music will promote itself. But something tells me that's not how it works in the real world!

Guest groovyguy

http://www.facebook.com/WilliamOrbit

Jan 2012

January 31

Clearly, a lot of you would like to know more about certain forthcoming projects, but I won't say any more till the records are out. It's the best way. 'Mum', for the moment at least, is really the word.

But just as I have my morning coffee I'm reflecting on all the people I've been in the studio with and/or worked with:

Madonna, St Vincent, Chris Brown, M.I.A., Kid Cudi, Kreayshawn, Mika, Blur, Mike Tyson, Priscilla Renea, Freeschool, Laurie Mayer, Kevin Rudolf, Rodney Jerkins, Rosey Chan, Katie Melua, Neff-U, members of the New York Metropolitan Opera, and others that may have slipped my mind. And some unknowns but soon- to-be-KNOWNS.

Plus my 'Strange Cargo' album, which I'm very excited about. And a rather large cache of new material and songs that have no particular plans attached, but could turn into anything.

Been doing some of my best stuff this last year and a half and reckon it's going to be a fun time ahead. So bear with me a little while longer and all will be revealed.

x x x x x hugs to you all my darlings!!

January 28

In the studio with Free School. [i know you'd perhaps like to see a pic in the studio with a certain artist as well, but you have to ask Guy O for that!] photo: Nato

430064_10150556733364863_98843314862_8490464_2074615758_n.jpg

January 21

Can't wait till March. When it's all going to start pouring forth. Not long now.

Guest groovyguy

Feb 2012

February 25

only a month now till MDNA hits the streets. Can't wait. In the meantime a bit of R+R. Bring it on!!!

February 4

#1 in

Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Bulgaria, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, US, Venezuela

426799_10150575957054863_98843314862_8544901_1742828638_n.jpg

February 4

things about to really kick off. And Giants v Patriots too

February 3

- Gang Bang

- Some Girls

- I'm a Sinner

- Masterpiece

- Falling Free

- Love Spent

Guest groovyguy

Mar 2012

March 27

Ha! She is going to make some waves, know that 4 sure

William Orbit Talks About Working With Madonna — And Kreayshawn Is Next

http://idolator.com/6232792/william-orbit-madonna-kreayshawn

Madonna has developed quite a strong relationship with producer William Orbit over the years — the two packed quite a punch (and snagged a few Grammys) for their work on 1998's Ray Of Light, and ...

We liked what we’re doing in this current time and space,” Orbit continued. “What we tended to do was watch old French films from the ’60s or listen to music that was so far away that it wasn’t, in any way, relevant.”

While sharing an amusing anecdote about the one time they did listen to any current music, Orbit reveals a surprising collaboration — he’s been working with Kreayshawn, too.

“There was a moment when we were waiting for Pro Tools to reboot, or something like that, and we were just looking at links on YouTube,” he recalled. “And I was showing her Kreayshawn, and I’ve been working with her, and I really like her. And she’s obviously got this track out called ‘Hoes on My Dick’ [with the line] ” ’cause I look like Madonna.’ And, I played it for Madonna… then she was saying afterwards ‘Hoes on my dick, ’cause I am Madonna.’ That was about the only time we looked at any serious contemporary pop music.”

March 26

I don't mind at all that this site has a rather Madonnacentric slant at the moment. Very interesting to see all the points of view. And I'm buzzed about my creative involvement with it.

She brings out the best in me.

524418_10150693357924863_98843314862_8904849_1372646830_n.jpg

March 22

will be glad when MDNA drops properly on monday. The leaks are kinda dubious, and we can all hear it as it's meant to be heard

March 16

I get ambushed in the studio sometimes, usually after round-the-clock working. Guy Oseary shot footage in the studio a few times when I was with M, usually when we were playing over songs together on acoustic guitars.

Madonna can give me a hard time with my mixes, but is very forgiving of my absolutely terrible singing voice. I'm not so forgiving of my voice though, especially when it's immortalised on film. Perhaps I can persuade Guy to dub a proper singer onto my bits. A 'singer-double'.

But this morning I knew they were coming to film. And no singing!

I look pensive in this pic (with Brenda Reynoso from Universal) but actually I'm just a bit tired. I got so many tracks and projects I HAVE to nail before i take a holiday beginning of April.

Anyway, that was my day so far. How was yours?

March 10

am THRILLED to see Laurie Mayer's name there.

Such beautiful composition of "Falling Free"(http://www.facebook.com/laurie.mayer.composer)

March 9

I’ve seen some posts here questioning the promotional strategy for MDMA. I'm not involved in any marketing , and I’m no expert, but I must say that from my observations, it’s working brilliantly. Given the end results. Madonna and Guy Oseary certainly know what they’re doing and they are doing it with panache. As will become more apparent over the coming months. Perhaps it’s not by the promo ‘rule book’. But we may well see their processes cropping up in next year’s ‘rule book’.

March 8

Just wait till you hear the acoustic version of 'Love Spent'! Ooops, was I supposed to mention that?

March 7

I'm starting to get excited

In response to

EriKa Malagutiposted toWilliam Orbit

March 7 love spent is WOW!!!!!!!!!

Massimiliano Faccaposted toWilliam Orbit

March 7 Love Spent ♥ Perfect !

Mario Barriga Rivasposted toWilliam Orbit

March 7 Amazing Love Spent

William Rodriguesposted toWilliam Orbit

March 7 William, congratulations for "Love Spent" this wonderful song.

Jacopo Biasiposted toWilliam Orbit

March 7 You are a G.E.N.I.U.S!!!

Guest groovyguy

Then in May he speaks differently ???

May 2012

May 10

Times are good.

Interesting times.

Got 3 pages emails and tomorro gonna get back EVERY EVERY one. Especially Vidia and Nadira

(we made history in HK)

Cargo 5 i KNOW now,

after doubts and agony,,,

has got the goods.

for CERTAIN.

and MDNA tracks . . . am thrilled . . . tho havt say,,,, saw how coulda been better from day 1. . .

Not hindsight,

But whatever.

Fate plays as fate deals

Guest ditaluver

he was hoping for major success...and i can see his dissapointment with the promo, etc.....

his songs are so great on this album. but things are different this time around

its a shame he is acting so bitter.

he was hoping for major success...and i can see his dissapointment with the promo, etc.....

I'm sure he worked hard on this album and expected to see more out of it, but some people just single-handedly ruined it. There's no reason why he can't be bitter and bitch about it. He produced half of the album and none of his songs got picked for the promotion!

Guest ditaluver

I'm sure he worked hard on this album and expected to see more out of it, but some people just single-handedly ruined it. There's no reason why he can't be bitter and bitch about it. He produced half of the album and none of his songs got picked for the promotion!

its a shame its having to come to any of this

the promo for this album is abysmal

Guest groovyguy

I can understand his disappointment with the promo. I can understand his need to bitch about the lack of promo. But his recent comment on Demo is uncalled for and unprofessional. If he saw a problem while making the record, why didn't he speak to Madonna, Demo or anyone else concerned about it then? Why bitch about it now on FB and post such a comment on the very same person - Demo - whom he was speaking highly about while making the record?

We were very pushed for time, due to a rather interesting and shall we just say, 'traditional' method of recording that the esteemed engineer Demo was partial to,...

But alas, the time wasn't there. Great swathes of it taken up by the engineer and his assistant bouncing reverb tracks for hour after hour, night after night. Not to real tape or anything, where you could posit that there would be an advantageous sonic dividend (real tape can be magic) but all in the digital domain. A purely procedural thing. Although not a procedure I or any of my own colleagues in this game would want to squander time with.

I was just describing to a friend of mine, and whom I frequently work with Serban Ghenea (just look him up if you want to be awed) how it was done, and he thought I was kidding him!

22 Oct William Orbit ‏@WilliamOrbit

Working with an INCREDIBLE engineer/mixer Demo (Demacio Castellon). No wiki page as yet but will have tomorrow

Guest groovyguy
... and various pressing commitments that took up the artists limited time, such as perfume ranges and teen fashion contests and other such endeavours which are beyond my own limited understanding of pop star agendas.

Is he not aware that Madonna has been busy with tour rehearsals for the MDNA Tour? How much time has Madonna really spent on the promo for the perfume, teen fashion contests etc.?

It's almost a universally agreed (outside the world of the fanatics) the album has not been handled well. Like Orbit said, too many outside forces and projects.

Guest groovyguy

Everyone is aware of the lack of, or zero promo. Despite what Orbit said, MDNA is a solid album and a lot of fans love the album. It's so apparent that the main project is the MDNA Tour.

Guest ditaluver

I can understand his disappointment with the promo. I can understand his need to bitch about the lack of promo. But his recent comment on Demo is uncalled for and unprofessional. If he saw a problem while making the record, why didn't he speak to Madonna, Demo or anyone else concerned about it then? Why bitch about it now on FB and post such a comment on the very same person - Demo - whom he was speaking highly about while making the record?

Ask him! Seriously.....he seems to answer everyone these days.

I think his ranting is totally unprofessional

It's almost a universally agreed (outside the world of the fanatics) the album has not been handled well. Like Orbit said, too many outside forces and projects.

Well that's completely different from saying the album is phoned in. Madonna has not done that once in her career. Considering Hard Candy was met with the same enthusiasm and lackluster promotion, it just seems to me like she's done with the promo circuit - or is simply managed that way . The only difference was that last time, she had a big hit so people seemed to make less of a big deal of it. But she did not promote that album either, other than the promo concerts and a one-off appearance on BET. In other words - the same thing happened this time. A gargantuan performance on the Super Bowl and one interview.

Either way it's not a reflection on her music. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can say this is a lazy or phoned in album. I remember people saying the same thing about the last album, the album before that, the album before that, going back to American Life. It's even stupider to say such when William Orbit didn't even SAY she phoned it in (read it again, he says the opposite), and when Solveig and Benassi talked about the process of recording with Madonna and said what we've always heard - that she spends a long time making sure each song she writes comes out perfectly and that she pays attention to every detail and is an impressive producer, blabbity blah. Of course they wouldn't say anything bad, but William Orbit clearly had the chance to say something bad about her working process, and he didn't.

Let's not make stuff up now.

William Orbit

The MDNA comments. I should not have said them publicly. I see that and I regret that I said online. Not fair to M.

:lol: ...Demonna was probably told about his bitching

Guest Fukujima

She has Candy Shop to perform live again.

what i mean is that M probably won't end up any future creative collaboration with him just because he dared to say that things were a bit rushed up

what i mean is that M probably won't end up any future creative collaboration with him just because he dared to say that things were a bit rushed up

I know she won't.

William Orbit

The MDNA comments. I should not have said them publicly. I see that and I regret that I said online. Not fair to M.

Wow, what happen to Mr. "I am not beholden to riches and fame"?

Just goes to show you, FB and Twitter have led to us back tracking on everything because people don't think before they open their mouth. It's happen to me as well. Quite frankly, I find it refreshing when people are honest. However, prepare for the consequences of your honesty. A ripple becomes a wave overnight anymore.