WTF Happened...? To all or any momentum...

agclef

Pre-ordering does not equal buying. People had to wait almost a month and a half to get their hands on the album. All they could buy was that lame GMAYL song, which is practically non-existent compared to the rest of the album. And a month and a half is A LOT in nowadays pop world.

Madonna (and I can't stress that enough) will never-ever have that kind of tremendous exposure again. I bet everybody was talking about Madonna's show the next day. A new (fantastic) album surely wouldn't have hurt would have sold like hot cakes. A MAJOR missed opportunity if u ax me.

And as of GMAYL...sorry, but that song is terrible. It may be perfect for promoting an American football match, but it's not a good song (especially for Madonna's standards).

well, it did felt like buying a MADONNA album the following day would've been the IN THING to do that week after the SuperBowl, physical or digital... the praises was just all over the US, for a moment there, MADONNA was like a certified all-American brand again... Anyhow, if they really intended to do almost no promo after the SuperBowl, then they really should've released the album the day after the Superbowl performance...

well, it did felt like buying a MADONNA album the following day would've been the IN THING to do that week after the SuperBowl, physical or digital... the praises was just all over the US, for a moment there, MADONNA was like a certified all-American brand again... Anyhow, if they really intended to do almost no promo after the SuperBowl, then they really should've released the album the day after the Superbowl performance...

I don't want to agree, but the facts sort of force me to. Even Guy himself said that the SuperBowl WAS the live promo for the album. So why not just premiere the first two singles and release the cd right that week can only be explained by a very simple explanation: they thought Give Me All Your Luvin' was going to be HUGE. Hence, six weeks was just the perfect amount of time to set up the stage for another hit single and the release of the album.

I don't want to agree, but the facts sort of force me to. Even Guy himself said that the SuperBowl WAS the live promo for the album. So why not just premiere the first two singles and release the cd right that week can only be explained by a very simple explanation: they thought Give Me All Your Luvin' was going to be HUGE. Hence, six weeks was just the perfect amount of time to set up the stage for another hit single and the release of the album.

Sh*t, Guy said that? Wasted opportunity indeed...

Now all he seems to do is just take pictures. My twitter timeline is just clogged up with his photos of chubby camp men with their fag hags in homemade Madonna t-shirts.

Obviously. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what performing at the SuperBowl actually is: promotion for the artist. That's why the performing artist does not get paid for this, because the amount of exposure he/she gets is HUGE (at least in the US, anyway).

I recall differently. The feedback from the public AND critics back then was very positive. Guy O even tweeted about how they were happy everyone liked the song.

If her team thought GMAYL was going to be a huge hit they are clearly out of touch. The feedback from the leak was pretty negative that should have been warning enough.

You keep saying this but if you look back at the early posts just about every fag and his husband was raving over the leak.

Only when it 'flopped' in the UK did everybody suddenly claim it was a crap song.

I say 'flop' because it actually would have been top 10 in the UK in week one if the 'album tie in' sales were added.

And as many have said before, nobody knew this song was even out in the UK.

I remember I went skiing in Europe with some straight blokes in February when the song came out and they couldn't stop humming it.

But unless a song is played on radio or even music channels, the momentum doesn't happen.

The one country where the public knew the song had been released (USA) it hit top ten.

In short, Radio and music channels abandoned Madonna on a huge scale this time and they all sense blood.

She needs to remember that when she next decides to do 'non traditional promo'

Edited by Rollap

I recall differently. The feedback from the public AND critics back then was very positive. Guy O even tweeted about how they were happy everyone liked the song.

No, I'm pretty sure the reaction was very mixed. There was a lot of negative feedback. Guy's not going to tweet 'Reaction is shit but we're releasing whatever' is he?

It's not that long ago so I'm sure someone will check but the feedback was definitely not overwhelmingly positive. But it's a real grower. The big mistake was releasing it without giving people time to hear it. There's a really good extended version of the demo at MChile which I'm loving at the moment.

Obviously. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what performing at the SuperBowl actually is: promotion for the artist. That's why the performing artist does not get paid for this, because the amount of exposure he/she gets is HUGE (at least in the US, anyway).

I distinctly remember the context in which Guy said this. People on Twitter were going bananas over Girl Gone Wild's sloppy release sequencing, so one person asked Guy directly why they weren't doing any promo - yes, during that conversation he said that WE had to think more "non-traditional" (how patronizing, we are his customers). During the same conversation, someone defended Guy by saying that the SuperBowl was the promo. To which he answered, in all caps, EXACTLY.

Yes, of course Guy is correct in thinking that the SuperBowl is a huge exposure opportunity. And indeed it was. However, the effect from that exposure ended up being less than HUGE because it did not translate into sustained interest for the single or basic awareness of the album release, which happened a month and a half later. It did help sell tour tickets, which is what this team cares about. As for helping the album, which would have also helped the tour, they had no plan B.

All that leads me to believe that indeed, as we have previously said, Madonna accepted to do the SuperBowl and surrounding promo in exchange to not have to heavily promote the album afterwards. It was the tour that mattered, and so tickets for the tour were sold the Tuesday following the SuperBowl performance, going to show that they do make good business decisions - as for helping further someone's legacy and respecting her fanbase - well, they aren't really concerned about that.

Again, clear decisions had been made all along. Tour is where the money is, so let's go for that. Album sales are a "nice to have" but not necessary for an artist like Madonna, so if it goes well, fantastic, and if it doesn't - we'll see next time.

I'm not saying there is a better way or a worse way - it depends on what your goal is. For us fans, we want to the music to be appreciated too. We care. We are not making money off of this, in fact quite the contrary.

For them, it's a different story. They need to milk this cow for one or two more massive tours and then it's whatever the gods decide. Will she reinvent herself again into an artist for the older generation? Will she only tour and not put out any more albums? Will she dedicate herself to film?

That's up to Madonna. And most of the people in their team probably won't be around by the time that happens, so why should they care about "later"? They care about "now."

MDNA is still on the Billboard charts! Let's not overlook that! It's made mad $ and isn;t considered a flop! Long Live MDNA! Keep it goign peopel. Request at your local radio stations! It really works! MDNA!

<p>

9*

r97875bowc2.jpg

MDNA

Madonna

<p>

Billboard 200

The week's top-selling albums across all genres, ranked by sales data as compiled by Nielsen SoundScan.

printrss

Week of
October 27, 2012

Site Feedback

tumblr_20x20.png
social_logo_email20X20.jpg

Billboard.com

181*

RE-ENTRY

• —

t35152njjjh.jpg

MDNA

Madonna

9*

r97875bowc2.jpg

MDNA

Madonna

News Mariah Carey Scores Sweet 16th... Top 10 James Bond Theme Songs ... Weekly Chart Notes: Lil Wayne ... Darren Criss Q&A: On Madonna, ... The Beat 9/5: Madonna Tops Hot...

9*

r97875bowc2.jpg

MDNA

Madonna

9*

r97875bowc2.jpg

MDNA

Madonna

Also Charted On #9 Dance/Electron...

MDNA is still on the Billboard charts! Let's not overlook that! It's made mad $ and isn;t considered a flop! Long Live MDNA! Keep it goign peopel. Request at your local radio stations! It really works! MDNA!

<p>

9*

r97875bowc2.jpg

MDNA

Madonna

<p>

Billboard 200

The week's top-selling albums across all genres, ranked by sales data as compiled by Nielsen SoundScan.

printrss

Week of
October 27, 2012

1]
Subscribe

Site Feedback

tumblr_20x20.png
social_logo_email20X20.jpg

Billboard.com

181*

RE-ENTRY

• —

t35152njjjh.jpg

MDNA

Madonna

9*

r97875bowc2.jpg

MDNA

Madonna

News Mariah Carey Scores Sweet 16th... Top 10 James Bond Theme Songs ... Weekly Chart Notes: Lil Wayne ... Darren Criss Q&A: On Madonna, ... The Beat 9/5: Madonna Tops Hot...

9*

r97875bowc2.jpg

MDNA

Madonna

9*

r97875bowc2.jpg

MDNA

Madonna

Also Charted On #9 Dance/Electron...

Hey listen, I still love this album as a whole and a lot of the songs individually - I think it's great stuff - and the VOICE, beautiful.

But weren't the songs serviced to dj's and clubs? Didn't the singles from MDNA still do quite well on the club charts? There are a lot of songs that do great in clubs, but don't ever get played on the radio or cross over to become pop hits. Increasingly it seems the club audience has become separate from the pop radio audience.

i live right by a gay bar and if i go I will surely hear TUTR, GMAYL, and GGW in a night. MDNA is a hit in clubs