WTF Happened...? To all or any momentum...

agclef

Sorry but I don't agree. I think GGW compounded people's opinion of her trying to be young with its dated Europop sound and theme of 'going wild'. The video does well because it's full of hot guys. The song bombed in most countries, worse that GMAYL. It worked well live but it's still a trashy little song.

Agreed. I do think it is stronger than GMAYL, but it just doesn't have that radio OOMPH.

With TUTR looking like it won't do anything I think the project is pretty much done. I think we'll be lucky to get a fourth single and when the tour finishes in December the MDNA era will come to a close. Whereas normallyl an album promotion last 18 months to two years, this whole project will have been crammed into 11 months with a fraction of the success although I know it's 'ALL ABOUT THE TOUR'.

Yep. RIP MDNA (the album). I still think it was a noble effort, but how the fuck she came up with GMAYL as a first single is beyond me. Sure, it fit the Super Bowl theme, but do you pick a single because it has mass appeal or do you pick it to showcase your one TV appearance of the year? Fucking stupid.

Nothing on this album would have been a hit single. Which is a shame because they probably would if Rihanna sang them or something.

She should have just gone with GANG BANG as a lead, at least it would have generated good net buzz, and had lots of hits online with a cool music video.

Exactly. It doesn't matter what she pushes to radio these days, they are not going to play her. It's been a long time coming really, she's released many "radio friendly" singles between 2002-2012 and only 4 of them made any dent whatsoever on US radio and only 1 of those 4 was a true, BIG hit. I like the idea of not even focusing on radio airplay at all for the next album and put a big focus on the visuals. Since it is indeed "all about the tour", the ultimate promo would be some killer videos that showcase her theatrical, dramatic side. I do believe her biggest chance at a "hit" these days is if one of her videos really became a "youtube hit". That's almost a bigger measure of success these days than the charts. She's making $400-$500 million dollars on tour now + her endorsements + album sales = lots of money to make GOOD videos again!

Maybe she tries to come back with better singles next time. I like the album, but the singles haven't helped her at all (except for the wonderful vids). Even her tour seems to be suffering a bit.

Exactly. It doesn't matter what she pushes to radio these days, they are not going to play her. It's been a long time coming really, she's released many "radio friendly" singles between 2002-2012 and only 4 of them made any dent whatsoever on US radio and only 1 of those 4 was a true, BIG hit. I like the idea of not even focusing on radio airplay at all for the next album and put a big focus on the visuals.

I think U.S. radio is a lost cause, but I am more shocked by her lack of European airplay this round. Europe has been her saving grace for a while now, and everyone but Italy (and maybe a few other small markets) abandoned her. She definitely needs airplay in Germany, France and the UK if she wants to sell records over there.

Uhm, "4 Minutes" got very decent airplay.

Didn't Hung Up get a good amount of airplay as well? If I remember correctly, the vid for HU was all over MTV's TRL back in the day.

Her tour is showing signs of suffering from it. She still sell out stadiuns but in some markets the failure of MDNA definitely affected her sales. So if their priority is touring they will have to work on that.

We have to remember that what she's doing is still very strong for a 54 female star who has been there for 30 years... we tend to forget it, she's making what no one ever did and no one will ever do.

We have to remember that what she's doing is still very strong for a 54 female star who has been there for 30 years... we tend to forget it, she's making what no one ever did and no one will ever do.

Agreed. People are too caught up in what the 20 year olds are doing or how it was for M 15 years ago. She's nearly 60 and still has a presence in the music industry, that's not a common thing for a woman of her age in the industry she's in.

Guest bluejean

More importantly though, she's still performing/dancing her arse off with the energy and body of a 20 year old for the pleasure of us fans. Who cares about sales really, most fans liked the album and loved the tour. There's such a weird obsession with sales and charts and popularity with fans of pop stars. It's like high school never ended.

I agree with every one of you.

Where will Gaga, Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Beyonce, Ke$ha, P!nk, Kelly Clarkson, Shakira, Xtina, and even Adele be 30 years from now?

Adele will be around in 30 years. She's not an artist that will date or be embarrassing at any point. She just sits and sings, she will always have a market, she's that sort of artist.

The rest however will out-cringe themselves over and over again, Gaga and Katy are already doing it now so early in their careers, poor kunts.

Anyone who survives as long as Madonna will go through exactly what M has gone through. No doubt about it.

Difference is, Madonna will probably be the only one who looked good in her 50's, Gaga may be fat during her mid 50's tour and Rihanna might be dead by then :dazed:

It'll be interesting to see if anyone ever takes M's total record sales though. It'll be worth less of/c but some of the new girls are a third of the way (Gaga, RiRi). Will they become the most successful female then? :manson:

Really makes you think about things. About life, the universe, cosmogony, etc.

Adele will be around in 30 years. She's not an artist that will date or be embarrassing at any point. She just sits and sings, she will always have a market, she's that sort of artist.

The rest however will out-cringe themselves over and over again, Gaga and Katy are already doing it now so early in their careers, poor kunts.

Anyone who survives as long as Madonna will go through exactly what M has gone through. No doubt about it.

Difference is, Madonna will probably be the only one who looked good in her 50's, Gaga may be fat during her mid 50's tour and Rihanna might be dead by then :dazed:

I honestly think that Adele is a major flavor of the moment. But that's just my opinion.

She'll never top 21, ever. But she did have an album before 21 that sold a few million copies and got her a Grammy. Her style of music never goes out of date because it's classic sounding, a lot of people like classic sounding music. Her chart years will dry up at some point but she will never be a non-entity who can't sell out a tour.

Yeah pretty much, Keys has a fairly ecclectic fanbase because her music appeals to a braod range of people, she always has decent tours and still has a public profile. Nothing to laugh at there.

guys..madonna is not in competition. she is out of that buzzz...she is perons that made history and she is imortal now. nothing can repet the places and times of her rize. so..dont be stupid. lady who is more like result or effect of Madonnas impact on world music. it is hilarious to repet that all the time and people dont get it.

if you understand pop history you ll understand. if you dont. inform yourself.

Do you think that Beautiful Killer revamped (I mean, with a wonderful production, not coming from DAD) as first single would have made a big hit? I love the song so much, and Madonna's performance at the Olympia is so tv-broadcasted (minus the guns) that i felt sure it would have been!

guys..madonna is not in competition. she is out of that buzzz...she is perons that made history and she is imortal now. nothing can repet the places and times of her rize. so..dont be stupid. lady who is more like result or effect of Madonnas impact on world music. it is hilarious to repet that all the time and people dont get it.

if you understand pop history you ll understand. if you dont. inform yourself.

Ok. But Madonna IS NOT in that mood. People can repeat over and over and over the storty that she's 54 blah blah blah, iconic, blah blah blah, another league blah blah blah

BUT...

Madonna is a girl who plays the game. And she's not satisfied being among the dinosaurs as a legendary act. She wants to be on top, hence GMAYL vid and song and GGW vid and song. I'm sure that if she read those excuses she wouldn't accept them. She would look at you all with her cold stare as if you were some ugly hydrangea.

Ok. But Madonna IS NOT in that mood. People can repeat over and over and over the storty that she's 54 blah blah blah, iconic, blah blah blah, another league blah blah blah

BUT...

Madonna is a girl who plays the game. And she's not satisfied being among the dinosaurs as a legendary act. She wants to be on top, hence GMAYL vid and song and GGW vid and song. I'm sure that if she read those excuses she wouldn't accept them. She would look at you all with her cold stare as if you were some ugly hydrangea.

I do think she still wants to play the game, but I think she's more interested in the "money game" than the "chart game" these days. Her decision to go with a 360 deal with Live Nation vs renewing with WB or going to another company for a traditional record deal shows she's more interested in focusing on tours and her "brand" than doing things the way she did them with a traditional record deal. She's going to make more money than any of her musical competition this year and that's with no hits and an album that some would call a commercial failure. I'm sure that warms her heart more than notching yet another number one on the UK singles chart or equaling Katy Perry's (dismal for as many hits as she's had) album sales.

I'm pretty sure in her mind it's "can they catch up to ME". She commands $400 per ticket and still fills up stadiums worldwide during a major recession....and that is without a current hit single. What "hot" artist right now could dream of doing this? Much less at 53 years old.

Well, it will be interesting when the contract has to be renewed. Will Madonna want to do so many different things or focus in a couple of them? We all seem to think that she likes being creative and all that, but i wander if she really enjoyed releasing a perfume. I'm sure that she would have rolled her eyes at the very idea just 10 years ago.

I wonder if she feels comfortable having to whore herself so much out there, because at the very end that means less control. Or maybe she has more control musically if she whores herself selling perfumes?

Well, it will be interesting if there will be another 380º deal.

Do you think that Beautiful Killer revamped (I mean, with a wonderful production, not coming from DAD) as first single would have made a big hit? I love the song so much, and Madonna's performance at the Olympia is so tv-broadcasted (minus the guns) that i felt sure it would have been!

Beautiful Killer has been my favorite MDNA track since day 1! I think it would have made a fantastic first single. Love Spent should have been the second single and I'm Addicted as the third single.

BUT...

I partially agree with this, she still wants to in top, hence GMAY and GGW,, but she's too tired to play the whole game.

Even tired she still does amazing material like MDNA. So im not complaining. Her only fault was choosing the wrong lead single that killed the momentum she actually got. Her abilities to sing and create good songs are still there.

I think this album did as well as could be expected. So, it hasn't done fabulous in the US? What else do you expect? It seems recently it's not the best time for people to "come back" or for already established artists to do well. Even Britney and Christina have had trouble and they haven't been around that long at all. JLo too. It's all about who's new and fresh - which it always has been, but it seems as if now people ONLY wanna make time for the new and fresh. Not to mention the Gaga effect, her fans create websites when a new female artist has an album out centered around spreading leaks, hiding physical copies in stores and starting rumors/trends that the album is awful. These people spend more time bringing down other artists than promoting their fave! ...Not that this makes a HUGE impact, but Gaga's recycled image alone tried to fill a Madonna void within itself.

GMAYL was a top 10 hit and she's gotten a lot musical praise for the album, because the material is good. It went #1 in more countries than any other album and the tour is doing amazing. I would like to see her go off and to something totally different - she's been toying with this modern dance sound since Confessions, and although MDNA has different elements like dub-step in it, I kind of want to see her do something new next time. Like she did with American Life (not EXACTLY like that lol), but just something else. I think she could still get a few more hits and even if she doesn't she is already solidified...she can do whatever the hell she wants now.