WTF Happened...? To all or any momentum...

agclef

As long as M fans enjoyed it and M is happy with the material and knows she did her best, who cares what anyone else thinks. MDNA is a very solid album that SHITS on most of what's on radio right now. It's sad that some people are so ageist especially in the US and wont give Madonna's new material a chance, but too bad for them. They're missing out.

All I know is that I enjoy the album and I can't wait to see M on tour in September!

SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHH QUEEN M HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*FAINTS*

Guest Sinisin

2 things:

1. I love Jerimimi.

2. Do not listen to this with ANY animals in the room, unless you wanna get clawed up! Lol.

I felt like all the momentum died the day the first single was released. We all realized something was wrong with the promotion of it. Only in the US things looked like they were supposed to.

As I said in another thread, without the infrastructure and the knowledge of a big label that profits only from the success of her music and not from concerts nothing is gonna change. Maybe she should have signed with Warner again or some other major label in 2007. She would still make tons of money from touring and the label would still push her music successfully as Warner did (a few wrong moves but overall they were 100% behind her lead singles, making sure they'd smash in a every single country). Even during the Confessions era when dance was totally dead in North America, the album was everywhere in major american cities and Warner's radio team tried really hard for Hung Up in a very hostile environment for that kind of music (Top20 on 2 radio formats). Her music would be the only way for the label to make money so they'd make sure it smashes! Now there's no point to spend so much money to promote her music since it does not bring back so much and they make way more from touring. And I guess Interscope is only responsible for distributing or whatever so basically they couldn't care less. I'm still confused though because Cynthia Mcfaden mentioned something like "a 40million dollar record deal" in the "Reductive" interview so I still don't understand what the relationship between Madonna and Interscope is.

The album and the singles did not flop. It was just like they were thrown out there and that's it. Under the old regime GGW and Turn Up The Radio would have been very big airplay hits in some areas. Very unfair. I hope M and her team realize that this is gonna hurt her amazing tours to some degree.

I felt like all the momentum died the day the first single was released. We all realized something was wrong with the promotion of it. Only in the US things looked like they were supposed to.

As I said in another thread, without the infrastructure and the knowledge of a big label that profits only from the success of her music and not from concerts nothing is gonna change. Maybe she should have signed with Warner again or some other major label in 2007. She would still make tons of money from touring and the label would still push her music successfully as Warner did (a few wrong moves but overall they were 100% behind her lead singles, making sure they'd smash in a every single country). Even during the Confessions era when dance was totally dead in North America, the album was everywhere in major american cities and Warner's radio team tried really hard for Hung Up in a very hostile environment for that kind of music (Top20 on 2 radio formats). Her music would be the only way for the label to make money so they'd make sure it smashes! Now there's no point to spend so much money to promote her music since it does not bring back so much and they make way more from touring. And I guess Interscope is only responsible for distributing or whatever so basically they couldn't care less. I'm still confused though because Cynthia Mcfaden mentioned something like "a 40million dollar record deal" in the "Reductive" interview so I still don't understand what the relationship between Madonna and Interscope is.

The album and the singles did not flop. It was just like they were thrown out there and that's it. Under the old regime GGW and Turn Up The Radio would have been very big airplay hits in some areas. Very unfair. I hope M and her team realize that this is gonna hurt her amazing tours to some degree.

:clap:

i think this is going to hurt the rest of her career now, singe wise....it is so odd to me, that a huge coorporation such as Live Nation had no clue what to do and yet madonna & guy o went along with them!??!?!

I think Interscope is just the distributor, so basically they just manufacture the physical copies and get them to the retail outlets. That's it. They don't have say in the marketing, at least not in the way that Warner did.

I still think she released the worst first single possible from this album. I think that soured the whole deal. Europe was always behind her previously...I guess they didn't like that song much. Poor thing barely got play on major radio in the UK, although I know it did good in Italy. GGW - while a better track than GMAYL - just wasn't strong enough to save her I think. It wreaks of the "American Life" scenario all over again, only it's like most of Europe checked out this time.

I really do believe that when it comes to Madonna, she really needs to hit it out of the park on the first try. Her albums are notoriously front-loaded. And after the Gaga hurricane of 2009-2011, I really thought she'd come back huge just like last time pop-dance was the dominant force (late 90's). Alas, this album has stumbled commercially. I still think it is one of her best though - based on the content of the rest of the record.

It's my understanding that Interscope does, in fact, have a lot to do with the marketing and promotion of the album. These days that what distribution includes. Live Nation isn't equipped, nor do they have the experience or long history and connections in the industry to properly market an album. That's why they licensed to a third party. Live Nation and Boy Toy (Madonna's management basically) are obviously very involved in every decision, but Madonna's camp was involved with WB too. Live Nation simply fronted the cash to make the album, then licensed it to Interscope. It was a partnership. We can speculate about whether WB would have done things differently, forced Madonna to pick a different single, or pushed the album better overseas, but saying that Interscope just manufactured and distributed the CD to stores and had no real interest in making is a success is wildly off the mark. Every party involved has a huge interest in making the album a success, but Interscope especially since they're NOT going to benefit from the tour the way Madonna and Live Nation will.

And let's face it, even if everything was done perfectly, there's simply no guarantees that a 53-year-old pop singer who hasn't scored a solo hit in 10 years is going to have success in 2012.

they (Interscope) did score her another Top 10 hit single in the USA.

but they (Madonna and Guy) really lost the plot with Masterpiece as a first single during xmas 11.

it was live nation that got her a top ten...when they paid the radio, who they own most of, to play her single on the hour every hour all superbowel weekend long

It's my understanding that Interscope does, in fact, have a lot to do with the marketing and promotion of the album. These days that what distribution includes.

Well, licensing involves a record label buying the rights to an album and in that case, Universal probably would act as the label marketing the music. Distribution, however, is just getting the record out for people to buy. I don't think anyone is privy to the details of her contract, but honestly, if Universal did the marketing, they didn't do much.

I felt like all the momentum died the day the first single was released.

Of course! The single was crap! Pure and simply. No payola could ever save it from the inevitable disaster. Not even that rich video they made.

Of course! The single was crap! Pure and simply. No payola could ever save it from the inevitable disaster. Not even that rich video they made.

:thumbsup: That single was bad enough to kill all excitment. People at this time isn't aware she did a new album, no wonder why the tour was rushed.

Most people expected this album to be as successful as the other pop artists' albums. But it doesn't make any sense, if you really think about it. Was Like A Prayer more successful than other albums at the time? Nope. Same with every single album she released since True Blue.

It's not like many albums are selling millions and millions and MDNA is left behind. 21 as the only BIG album of 2012 at the moment speaks volumes. :lol:

Well, licensing involves a record label buying the rights to an album and in that case, Universal probably would act as the label marketing the music. Distribution, however, is just getting the record out for people to buy. I don't think anyone is privy to the details of her contract, but honestly, if Universal did the marketing, they didn't do much.

That's what I'm saying. I'm not privy to the details of the contract, but from the news reports at the time of the deal, and my knowledge of the industry and how these deals work, "licensing and distribution" almost always also includes marketing and promotion. The only thing Interscope didn't do was pay Madonna to record the album, which is typically what a record label does and which LN did in this case.

I'm not sure it's accurate to say they didn't do much - maybe they just didn't do it SMARTLY. I mean, a lot of what they could was based on Madonna's willingness to participate and be available, which was limited due to her tour preparations. They bet a lot of money on that Superbowl performance and Clear Channel deal to carry the single and album release. Some say it happened too soon, but if GMAYL had actually become a hit, then that wouldn't be the case at all. The video had high-profile teases and premiere. They had a second single and video ready in time for the album release, and that didn't do much either. Ultimately, it had more to do with the single choices than lack of marketing. Madonna could have done more press, but that's not Interscope's fault. And would it really have mattered in the end? The singles didn't click with people and if the SB couldn't do it, nothing was going to.

I still think she released the worst first single possible from this album. I think that soured the whole deal. Europe was always behind her previously...I guess they didn't like that song much. Poor thing barely got play on major radio in the UK, although I know it did good in Italy. GGW - while a better track than GMAYL - just wasn't strong enough to save her I think. It wreaks of the "American Life" scenario all over again, only it's like most of Europe checked out this time.

When GMAYL received negative feedback after it leaked they should have either fixed it or picked another song for the lead single. But I guess it was too late as the song

was already part of her Superbowl show. I can't believe they actually thought such a mediocre song would do well. Do they not test songs to get some feedback?

They should have at least released a remix to the clubs to test the reaction.

When GMAYL received negative feedback after it leaked they should have either fixed it or picked another song for the lead single. But I guess it was too late as the song

was already part of her Superbowl show. I can't believe they actually thought such a mediocre song would do well. Do they not test songs to get some feedback?

Ironically, I think the only song that would have done well on first release is Girl Gone Wild. And like some other people have said, it would have made much more sense to have M.I.A. and Nicki guest on that rather than GMAYL. Turn Up The Radio is a favorite of mine, but the more I listen to it, the more I doubt it's first single material. And the reception to it since it has been released has been kind of mediocre. Girl Gone Wild seems to have the most love of all 3 songs on YouBoob - which I think is a good gauge of how people feel about a track.

This is of course, going by the singles she actually released. If you ax me, she should have released Gang Bang first - that would have made a statement. Of course, she couldn't have done that song on a family friendly event like Super Bowl, so... sigh.

ok hector calm down

well if universal or whoever is putting out MDNA doesnt drop her outta her contract - then they made a profit enough to keep on going

Some say it happened too soon, but if GMAYL had actually become a hit, then that wouldn't be the case at all.

GMAYL was at least in the Top 10 on the Billboard singles chart. Doesn't that make the song a hit?

Hopefully the MDNA debacle will teach M and the gang (Guy O) one major fact....US radio is not the market to try and appeal to anymore. They will not play her again....it's done. I really hope she just says FUCK IT for the next album and does something completely inspired and edgy without a single care or thought towards singles and radio play...it's not going to happen regardless of how "radio-friendly" the track is.....haven't we learned this by now? Die Another Day was the last single the radio cared to play and that was 10 years ago now. Had she stormed out of the gate w an insane GB video, I truly believe MDNA would have had a far better response in all markets. It would show her as cutting edge, daring and exciting. Instead, we got GMAYL, M posing as a cheerleader...every non-fan and casual fan that I know have all voluntarily slagged off that horrid song.....lesson learned. But, for some reason, I have a feeling Guy O will convince her to release yet another hit-targeted album....I blame him for the extreme greed...come on M, do what YOU want...and if that's more albums like HC and MDNA...then so be it, but just don't expect a ton of commercial and critical success from it.

and yet GMAYL sounds most instant hit on the album..

i still say fuck mainstream and do an all language album! including duets with big names in spanish, french, etc in these regions. it will sell!

she cant get new fans from the teeny bopper crowd BUT she can try for the foreign crowd.

first single in english the rest in whatever language!

Ironically, I think the only song that would have done well on first release is Girl Gone Wild. And like some other people have said, it would have made much more sense to have M.I.A. and Nicki guest on that rather than GMAYL. Turn Up The Radio is a favorite of mine, but the more I listen to it, the more I doubt it's first single material. And the reception to it since it has been released has been kind of mediocre. Girl Gone Wild seems to have the most love of all 3 songs on YouBoob - which I think is a good gauge of how people feel about a track.

This is of course, going by the singles she actually released. If you ax me, she should have released Gang Bang first - that would have made a statement. Of course, she couldn't have done that song on a family friendly event like Super Bowl, so... sigh.

Sorry but I don't agree. I think GGW compounded people's opinion of her trying to be young with its dated Europop sound and theme of 'going wild'. The video does well because it's full of hot guys. The song bombed in most countries, worse that GMAYL. It worked well live but it's still a trashy little song.

I think GMAYL should have been a standalone single for the superbowl. It sticks out on the album in terms of style.

Masterpiece should have been released for W.E. before Christmas and then added as a bonus track to the deluxe edition. Lead with I'm Addicted, then Gang Bang or vice versa.

But it's all hindsight. With TUTR looking like it won't do anything I think the project is pretty much done. I think we'll be lucky to get a fourth single and when the tour finishes in December the MDNA era will come to a close. Whereas normallyl an album promotion last 18 months to two years, this whole project will have been crammed into 11 months with a fraction of the success although I know it's 'ALL ABOUT THE TOUR'.

Nothing on this album would have been a hit single. Which is a shame because they probably would if Rihanna sang them or something.

She should have just gone with GANG BANG as a lead, at least it would have generated good net buzz, and had lots of hits online with a cool music video.

well...maybe they ll just do it in a different way.

first single was the worst and last will be the greatest one? to put an album on charts again? at the end of the tour they ll put out gang bang video? or they will put something like 5 more singles out? that would be insane i think but why the hell not?