WTF Happened...? To all or any momentum...

agclef

I don't see how the momentum could have kept going with nothing going on.

+1

She's old, no one cares as much. That's it. It happens to them ALL if you can stick around long enough. She's a touring legend act from now on like all the other greats that are still around, The Stones, Bowie, Prince ect ect.

This is IT from now on. Accept it and get over it and you'll all be able to enjoy her eras much more.

+250

No amount of smiling on Ellen or posing sexy on Rolling Stone is going to shift singles/albums. Everyone knows she has an album out, if they want it, they'll buy it. Clearly whoever wanted it bought it withint the first couple weeks and that is that.

I think even Madonna knows this.

July2004legs.jpg

They look like Bacon leg warmers !

I think MDNA is a great album but the general public just isn't interested anymore due to her age ,her no promo or lack of exposure to the music etc.

I think it's different back in the Music days where she just had 2 kids . Now she has 4 kids, has her heart set on film directing career as well as licensing her names out to business endeavors.

So am just looking forward to whatever she wants to do as a loyal fan but I am not expecting a huge resurgence of popularity like during ROL period. Thank god for this board which is like your own personal shrink regarding Madonna maters really.

No aggie it was in response to some of the other overall sentiments.

As GSM said... She has no momentum because she pretty much vanished after the Super Bowl. And I think we're due for a more mature musical direction too, but MDNA has a good mix of everything and is much better than HC so personally I'm satisfied for now. It really is excellent. She will mix it up for the next album, no worries.

I would absolutely welcome a more mature album, which is where I thought she was headed after EVITA, ROL, STR, etc. I love GROWN-UP Madonna too.

I would absolutely welcome a more mature album, which is where I thought she was headed after EVITA, ROL, STR, etc. I love GROWN-UP Madonna too.

I truly believe it all depends on touring from now on... For example, if Live Nation accepts taking her to fewer markets and in select venues, then she'll make the experience of going to see her next time more intimate and precious (and expensive). THEN she may think about doing a more mature album and revive the ballads of yesteryear.

If, on the other hand, we have one more tour left (if it's true that she had a ten-year contract that started in 2007) and they want to make it a farewell tour, then you can probably forget about any semblance of maturity or experimentation. She'll be doing big music to fit big stadiums.

My own personal theory - and I'm happy either way. She keeps putting great albums out and her catalogue is so vast I can crank up whatever version of Madonna I like and listen to her for 3 hours ;)

I truly believe it all depends on touring from now on... For example, if Live Nation accepts taking her to fewer markets and in select venues, then she'll make the experience of going to see her next time more intimate and precious (and expensive). THEN she may think about doing a more mature album and revive the ballads of yesteryear.

If, on the other hand, we have one more tour left (if it's true that she had a ten-year contract that started in 2007) and they want to make it a farewell tour, then you can probably forget about any semblance of maturity or experimentation. She'll be doing big music to fit big stadiums.

My own personal theory - and I'm happy either way. She keeps putting great albums out and her catalogue is so vast I can crank up whatever version of Madonna I like and listen to her for 3 hours ;)

She doesn't have to make stale and boring music to make mature songs. Her Mirwais catalog is filled with mature themes done in a youth and current fashion—more ahead of its time fashion—almost timeless fashion.

An intimate tour for Madonna is one where she only tours in-door arena venues.

Oh there we go with Mirwais again. Excuse me while I reach for the barf bag.

Isn't MDNA full of mature themes? I hear a woman speaking very candidly about her life in that without the preachiness and clunkiness of the American Life fiasco. The only way it would be more 'mature' if it was in the form of all ballads which a. isn't really mature, it just gives that impression and b. I seriously doubt Madonna would do.

Everyone is under this impression that because American Pife was so experimental it was also a beacon of maturity...

Yet there she was with her Caucasian soccer mom rapping and the guy-shy-sky rhyming scheme in Nodody Knows Me. Then we have Falling Free, Masterpiece, and Love Spent on MDNA and all of a sudden it's an immature album. Why because she says GIRL on it a lot? Because she makes light of her divorce on I Don't Give A?

She was in Oprah mode for ROL and she sounded more sophisticated as a result, Music is right alongside with MDNA lyrically and acting as though she's regresssed terribly just because she didn't work with Mirwais a THIRD TIME is a major joke.

I guess it's true that some fans really DO love to live in the past.

Everyone is under this impression that because American Pife was so experimental it was also a beacon of maturity...

Yet there she was with her Caucasian soccer mom rapping and the guy-shy-sky rhyming scheme in Nodody Knows Me. Then we have Falling Free, Masterpiece, and Love Spent on MDNA and all of a sudden it's an immature album. Why because she says GIRL on it a lot? Because she makes light of her divorce on I Don't Give A?

She was in Oprah mode for ROL and she sounded more sophisticated as a result, Music is right alongside with MDNA lyrically and acting as though she's regresssed terribly just because she didn't work with Mirwais a THIRD TIME is a major joke.

I guess it's true that some fans really DO love to live in the past.

She doesn't have to work with Mirwais again to make mature music. However a Mirwais-type as a producer will certainly bring the proper edge to her current sound which just sounds like trends she didn't start.

I have no complains for MDNA. I love the album, but the singles choices? not so much. And therein it lies the problem. Poor singles choices + lack of promo (except the Superbowl) have doomed this album.

I expect just one more single with a live performace and that's it for the MDNA era. 3 singles, 2 proper videos, 1 live performance from the tour as a video promo while she is on tour for the rest of the year. Then when it finishes she will move on quicker than a ray of light to her next film project.

I don't know what the problem is. To me, GMAYL as a single is ok, although there are better songs on the album. We received a great video for the first time in many years. Although it is quite natural to expect a decline in sales over the years, I still don't understand why this by far not the worst album (and it is WAY better than Hard Candy) is doing so poorly. Lack of promotion? I hope that at least the tour will be successful!

Lack of promotion?

BINGO!

In the lack of the good promotion by Madonna the media has taken the job. Madonna has been heavily promoted, but negatively promoted! There are endless essays about her toe nails, her age, her boyfriend, her hands, her face, and so on. :wacko:

She doesn't have to work with Mirwais again to make mature music. However a Mirwais-type as a producer will certainly bring the proper edge to her current sound which just sounds like trends she didn't start.

Oh please. So I guess Like A Prayer is a less noteworthy album because she didn't invent wahtever sound you wanna categorize it as?

And working with an obscure french electronic artist doesn't automatically make for brilliance or edge either. It's hilarious how a few distorted sound effects, unconventional song structure, and maybe a few skipping guitars can fool you into thinking Madonna is all of a sudden being cutting edge with her songwriting. Truth is, people didn't dislike American Life because it was SO RISKY AND LEFT FIELD. It's because people found the songwriting sloppy and flat.

You're just looking for reasons to discredit this album and compare it to an album that a negligible percentage of her fanbase would even say is in their top 5. You MUST move on.

She doesn't have to an invent a genre everytime she releases new music. The music on MDNA is hardly vanilla anyway. Your favorite song is B-DAY SONG for god sakes so I don't even know what you're driving at.

Guest jamesshot

In my experience, she was really gathering steam after the Golden Globe win. Many in my circle ( 20's) were talking Madonna again and getting excited about her SB performance. Then the SB performance was a hit. I heard a ton of buzz and positivity from friends and family. Things were going well. GMAYL is actually a very catchy, very likeable song. Yet, when my friend Haley, whom I think has great instincts about music, heard GMAYL for the first time she just said "No, that isn't going to work for Madonna" and walked off. So while the song was completely passable top 40 fluff, it just did not work being Madonna's first single, the first introduction to MDNA. Haley was very turned off by it and GGW did further damage. I had to practically force her to listen to the full CD and when she did, she loved most of it. She said it was nothing like she thought it would be from the first 2 singles. Her reaction was very typical of most people I know. Most were going to buy MDNA (for many buying their 1st or 2nd Madonna CD) after the SB and before most had heard GMAYL but after hearing GMAYL they were completely turned off.

Now I am not so sure naming the tour after a CD that has now tanked is a good idea...

I don't know what the argument is. To me MDNA is a mature Madonna album. It's like a journey into her state of mind post divorce . It's almost like she is taking us on a roller coaster journey that ends with a beautiful ballad Falling Free.

I agree with GSM and CUBB that Madonna is now transcending into the legendary league like The Rolling Stone, Bowie , Prince etc . She might have a few big hits here and there but the days where the general public embraces ( or even shows interest ) in her music are long gone.

Do you think she/they learned a lesson with all of this?

Probably there won't be an "untraditional" promo ever again...

Oh please. So I guess Like A Prayer is a less noteworthy album because she didn't invent wahtever sound you wanna categorize it as?

And working with an obscure french electronic artist doesn't automatically make for brilliance or edge either. It's hilarious how a few distorted sound effects, unconventional song structure, and maybe a few skipping guitars can fool you into thinking Madonna is all of a sudden being cutting edge with her songwriting. Truth is, people didn't dislike American Life because it was SO RISKY AND LEFT FIELD. It's because people found the songwriting sloppy and flat.

You're just looking for reasons to discredit this album and compare it to an album that a negligible percentage of her fanbase would even say is in their top 5. You MUST move on.

She doesn't have to an invent a genre everytime she releases new music. The music on MDNA is hardly vanilla anyway. Your favorite song is B-DAY SONG for god sakes so I don't even know what you're driving at.

B-Day Song is a feel good, carefree, non-commercial purpose track, that struck a nerve with me. You guys get a kick out of kicking it like it were Hey You—a truly God awful Madonna song if there ever was one.

I don't care about LAP or ROL: the popular standard-bearers of quality Madonna music and commercial success. Madonna off the beaten path musically will always draw closer to what I listen to outside of Madonna.

You know I am right. :lol:

I guess that cunt gettin' eaten

B-Day Song isn't as bad as Hey You, I will give you that, but it's equally as useless and undeserving of any attention.

Give me your arms wrapped around me and you kiss my cheek and tell it gets better.

The Strokes :lol: I wanted a name change at 1 point, and that song was playing, and I was like "oh that'd make a cool username" ... I've been wanting to change it for awhile now, but that's what ppl know me as on here. Oh well.

The Strokes :lol: I wanted a name change at 1 point, and that song was playing, and I was like "oh that'd make a cool username" ... I've been wanting to change it for awhile now, but that's what ppl know me as on here. Oh well.

...erotica blu is bigger than me. Could never change it.

GMAYL=F L U S H-DONNA=this era

Instantly as simple as that :/

Nail on the head.

They thought it was going to be massive and, if it was, all the lack of promo wouldn't have mattered.

It bombed. Everything fell apart.

End.

Notice how they're not even using the radio version for the MDNA Tour promo :rotfl: