Should Madonna fire Guy Oseary as manager?

Apples388

The Power of Goodbye  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Good night and thank you, Guy O?

• Yes! MDNA promotion is the final straw.
    • No! He's doing a great job.
    • Not sure.

During the Confessions era, Angela was the main manager. She used to be Caresse's assistant. She left in early 2007 and Guy Oseary took over.

so there u go. Early 2007 (right before HC got going) lol That kinda validates everything. :doh:

The promotion of MDNA has sucked hairy balls (probably Guy's). The album should have been released the day after the Superbowl along with the first single which should have been Turn Up The Radio. We could have had teasers from the TUTR video building up to the Superbowl perfromance. Don't get me wrong...I think the way the Superbowl turned out was fantastic, but the execution of the promotion of the album has fallen by the wayside due to the tour rehearsals.

She can't fire him yet, he'll be wanting to do another of his photo books for "their" world tour like he did for the last two. (To be released approximately 12 months after most people stopped giving a shit about it.) :|

Plus, he's still "compiling the remixes" for GGW on iTunes - so he's dead busy. Sadly, most of us compiled them on iTunes for free weeks ago. :D

She can't fire him yet, he'll be wanting to do another of his photo books for "their" world tour like he did for the last two. (To be released approximately 12 months after most people stopped giving a shit about it.) :|

Plus, he's still "compiling the remixes" for GGW on iTunes - so he's dead busy. Sadly, most of us compiled them on iTunes for free weeks ago. :D

He's fucking useless. :lmao:

The promotion of MDNA has sucked hairy balls (probably Guy's). The album should have been released the day after the Superbowl along with the first single which should have been Turn Up The Radio. We could have had teasers from the TUTR video building up to the Superbowl perfromance. Don't get me wrong...I think the way the Superbowl turned out was fantastic, but the execution of the promotion of the album has fallen by the wayside due to the tour rehearsals.

:thumbsup:

All this talk of firing this person and that person when the answer is quite simple the lead single killed this project dead on arrival. Pretty much everyone hated this song and even when it was forced down our throat i still hate it and find it irritating. First time EVER i find a Madonna song that annoying i can't even hear it all the way through. Even in Montreal where we love her here people are not fond of it at all.

It's very simple. Lead single make or break an album period.

Whoever was responsible for releasing it doesn't know shit pretty much. When it was leaked 2 months in advance the reception was terrible how they couldn't see that is AMAZING.

Whoever was responsible for releasing it doesn't know shit pretty much. When it was leaded 2 months in advance the reception was terrible how they couldn't see that is AMAZING.

YES!!

I remember when the song leaked, Guy O. said someyhing like "we are very happy that the song got a positive response from fans, but sad that someone leaked it blahblahblah" and I'm like "what positive response"? We all Most of us didn't like it since it leaked, but back then we hoped it was just a demo or that they would release another song as the 1st single. But they just didn't get it. :(

All this talk of firing this person and that person when the answer is quite simple the lead single killed this project dead on arrival. Pretty much everyone hated this song and even when it was forced down our throat i still hate it and find it irritating. First time EVER i find a Madonna song that annoying i can't even hear it all the way through. Even in Montreal where we love her here people are not fond of it at all.

It's very simple. Lead single make or break an album period.

Whoever was responsible for releasing it doesn't know shit pretty much. When it was leaked 2 months in advance the reception was terrible how they couldn't see that is AMAZING.

:clap:

I have pretty much been saying the same thing in another thread. The lead single should be the song with the biggest worldwide appeal.

GMAYL is the weakest song on the album. I just don't know how they thought it would perform well. It just doesn't scream lead single. I get

why she performed it a the Superbowl but that should have been the end of it . Also as others have said they waited too long to release the

album. It should have released immediately after the Superbowl.

If TUTR was chosen as the the lead single I think we would be looking at a different situation.

I have a feeling this era will be a short one. It's such a shame because the album has so much potential.

Oddly enough, GMAYL grew on me. The video really changed it and now I really like the song. However, GGW has just not grown on me at all. It really is my least favourite single ever. The video is stunning but even that can't detract from the really poor Europop sound. The album has some stunning songs on it and the project could be turned around but... we've discussed it 'til we're blue in the face.

One bad single choice is bad enough but two is unforgiveable. Alas, TUTR isn't strong enoug to turn the project around in my opinion.

love GMAYL but maybe after the world was swooning over TUTR or even masterpiece, the song could have been released in the middle of the tour when she had actually made the world WANT to chant L-U-V madonna again. it was kinda assumed wasn't it? be4 i get cut to shreds, yes she has already earned it a million times over but that's just not how things work (obviously as we are seeing). who though are we to go headhunting guy o?

so two Guys and two Ritchies have blemished her career and personal life lol. The other Ritchie (Lionel) now caused her to have asterik next to MDNA hitting #1 to some lol. ;) Kinda kidding as Im thrilled for Lionels comeback.

Im actually feeling more and more passionate abt. her firing Guy O by the day. Madonna needs someone like a Benny Medina etc..someone whos ruthless but has their priorities in the RIGHT place. Hes much more like a Freddy Demann and would focus on the music, promotion, marketing first and foremost etc...NOT simply using and milking an established namebrand to go from A-Z without doing anything in between and 'expecting' fans/people to simply spend money on where its 'really important' (touring, perfumes, clothing lines, etc.). Its all so arrogant and signs of BAD management. I believe Benny Medina is back managing JLo whos career was in ICU. That, and look at what he did for Mariah in 2005. That guy has SKILLS and she needs him or someone like him asap to inject her with a hit song!

so two Guys and two Ritchies have blemished her career and personal life lol. The other Ritchie (Lionel) now caused her to have asterik next to MDNA hitting #1 to some lol. ;) Kinda kidding as Im thrilled for Lionels comeback.

Im actually feeling more and more passionate abt. her firing Guy O by the day. Madonna needs someone like a Benny Medina etc..someone whos ruthless but has their priorities in the RIGHT place. Hes much more like a Freddy Demann and would focus on the music, promotion, marketing first and foremost etc...NOT simply using and milking an established namebrand to go from A-Z without doing anything in between and 'expecting' fans/people to simply spend money on where its 'really important' (touring, perfumes, clothing lines, etc.). Its all so arrogant and signs of BAD management. I believe Benny Medina is back managing JLo whos career was in ICU. That, and look at what he did for Mariah in 2005. That guy has SKILLS and she needs him or someone like him asap to inject her with a hit song!

I agree not so much about Benny Medina specifically but about someone who knows the business inside and out and can manipulate the situation to get RESULTS instead of just lounging around on Twitter and doing the bare minimum (LETS GO ON TOUR! MORE MONEY YAY!)

Madonna is probably all by herself now. There is no focus on her by an label to help manage her career. She is the one making choices including who manages her. Do you think JLO picked Benny Medina all by herself? He was probably indicated to her by someone in the label who understand the music industry best and it's actually interested to make her happen. In fact, Madonna is old for the industry and she passed the point to be seen as current by many. So she is free to shop all she wants in the market if she decides to, but i don't think there is anyone behind her helping to aproach new managers and such, not anymore. Those people were left at Warners.

Thats what I dont get. It was an almost universal vomitfest. You would have thought they would have said, oh shit this isnt good, lets go back in the studio and re-work the whole song.

Mind you, I personally dont hate the song. I can listen to MDNA and not skip it, but its obvious why it bombed.

I don't think he should be fired; that's unrealistic, but I do think he should be moved away from over all control. He doesn't know how to manage a major brand -someone is required who takes a holistic view of Madonna's career, and therefore sees how one thing will affect the other. The reason that Madonna has the brand equity to engage in all these commercial activities is that she has sustained a pop career and remained culturally relevant for over 25 years. When that stops, so will the rest. She doesn't want to become like Pierre Cardin -once a prestigeous brand like Valentio or Georgio Armani, now licensed to the hilt and plastered over everything, with no more ability to add value than if you wrote 'Francois Picou' on something.

The 'Take a Bow' segue into getting the Evita role -that was amazing marketing. Confessions era again stands out as an incredibly consistent and coherent campaign -those club gigs in Koko and wherever it was in NYC, right down to the leotards and hair flicks -something she even maintained for attending the VF party. But there have been periods where it all fell apart -American Life era flop panic being one. I remember Pud giving a really damning verdict on Caresse's management of that situation; I don't think Caresse was necessarily the 'golden age'.

I am always arguing for Madonna to put out another ROL in terms of depth, maturity, and cutting edge production, but I don't actually think she should do that now, because I don't think it will work, and I think those of us who advocate for it will have all the cheekslut fans point the finger and say 'look you said this would work and it hasn't'. I think it would continue the steady decline in sales probably. Because like Kylie and Alanis (I'm not putting Madonna in the same league), she may have got herself into a cycle of fixing the problems of the last era, this era. Kylie -her urban influenced follow up to Fever flopped, so for the next era she dropped the urban and focussed on slightly left field electro and pop, which is what she should have done in the first place. Then that flops because it's incoherent, rubbish lead single, and her styling is a mess. So she fixes that problem by having one good producer helming the album, having a euphoric (they thought) lead single and looking hot with a strong visual theme tying the whole project together. Again it flops, probably because she was doing gay teen pop and she's seen as too old etc. So now the next album will they go more mature? Probably. But again they will be one step behind all the time. Both these artists followed a massive album with an underperforming one, and since then have been mending the problems of each album with the next album. It's inward looking (product orientated) and Madonna has never been that. She should (and must) do something completely unexpected and different.

That's why I think she should do the film version of Sunset Boulevard next. What better way to:

-win credibility as an actress, as she's always acting better when singing

-silence critics about her voice

-play with the whole concept of ageing in Hollywood and show she's not afraid of it

-Surprise fans and the wider public

-Challenge herself and give her something to get her teeth into

I feel like there are a lot of overlapping in term of branding with this era. Are we supposed to love Madonna-the filmmaker , Madonna-the pop star, Madonna -the Perfumery etc ? I thought this era was geared toward re establishing her as an iconic pop superstar someone who at 53 could still sell records by the millions and have instant sell oit shows in multiple countries but so far I have not seen much effort in that .

I agree with LG regarding the leasing out the Madonna's name and I sure hope that she doesn't become the Pierre Cardin of Pop. I don't think she will. I think Guy shouldn't be fired but maybe managing a career of Madonna - the Iconic Pop Star is not something he excels at.

YES!!

I remember when the song leaked, Guy O. said someyhing like "we are very happy that the song got a positive response from fans, but sad that someone leaked it blahblahblah" and I'm like "what positive response"? We all Most of us didn't like it since it leaked, but back then we hoped it was just a demo or that they would release another song as the 1st single. But they just didn't get it. :(

I think it just goes to show how oblivious Guy and M's team are with regards to doing their market research before launching a project (be it online research or focus groups, etc). They seem very disconnected from the core audience. If I was M, I would employ a few people to actually gauge honest initial reactions to her products. Hollywood studios have been doing it for years! I would employ a mole to scour all the fan sites like Madonnanation, Madonnatribe and Madonnalicious, etc. It's common sense!

I think it just goes to show how oblivious Guy and M's team are with regards to doing their market research before launching a project (be it online research or focus groups, etc). They seem very disconnected from the core audience. If I was M, I would employ a few people to actually gauge honest initial reactions to her products. Hollywood studios have been doing it for years! I would employ a mole to scour all the fan sites like Madonnanation, Madonnatribe and Madonnalicious, etc. It's common sense!

Thank God ur not M.

Thank God ur not M.

I know. Having children adds wrinkles.

...in the UK inerview...M admitted that it herself that says no to doing a lot of the promo - so she can spend more time with her kids...

Does make sense. Let's not forget that this is her first tour since having children without Guy Ritchie in her life. (Okay, it was all over by S&S but still).

If she had been promoting her arse off the media would have been all over her calling her a bad mother for neglecting her children!

Does make sense. Let's not forget that this is her first tour since having children without Guy Ritchie in her life. (Okay, it was all over by S&S but still).

If she had been promoting her arse off the media would have been all over her calling her a bad mother for neglecting her children!

exactly..

i think this is more about the fans then anything..

she has other priorities...if she wanted to get number one singles she can - but she's past givin a shit about it. despite the drop in sales - she ultimately still got another number one album and broke records...without really having to do much.

any after watching that interview (although it was shit) i understand what she means and i see the whole promo thing in a new light.

That's why I think she should do the film version of Sunset Boulevard next. What better way to:

-win credibility as an actress, as she's always acting better when singing

-silence critics about her voice

-play with the whole concept of ageing in Hollywood and show she's not afraid of it

-Surprise fans and the wider public

-Challenge herself and give her something to get her teeth into

I wish she had accepted that role,instead of doing the 'W.E.' project.This was her last big chance to redeem herself as an actress and I don't think she's gonna get too many more offers in the future.

Guest bluejean

I wish she had accepted that role,instead of doing the 'W.E.' project.This was her last big chance to redeem herself as an actress and I don't think she's gonna get too many more offers in the future.

Was she even offered it?