GIRL GONE WILD: NEW THREAD

Yummy

Well, you have to keep in mind, promotional performances is relatively new for Madonna this past decade. Before Ray of Light, we rarely saw any live TV perfomances and when we did, it was usually after the fact. For instance, VMA's "Express Yourself", that was months after that song reached it's peak on radio. The same goes for VOGUE performance the next year. Her first three albums, I don't recall any promotional performances on TV. (Granted, she did some promotional performance in other countries). Hell, it wasn't until Who's That Girl until she did an interview on TV like Johnny Carson. MTV at the time was one of the biggest tools for an artist like Madonna. All she had to to is release a song and a video and it was every where. Sometimes, if there was no videos, MTV would compile a live performance. They would devote weekends to her. When she released "Ray of Light", that is when we really got to see her to do the rounds on TV. The promotional gigs like BRIXTON ACADEMY or KOKO didn't come until Music and Confessions. And let's remember, AMERICAN LIFE was an album Madonna really did a lot of radio and TV. It certainly didn't help any. People can say, well the songs were shit, but I guess that's the whole point. It doesn't matter what sort of push or promotion, but if it isn't good or the outlets that feature pop stars don't play her anymore, promotion isn't gonna mean squat.

Good point! American Life, we got a TON of promo, including Dateline, an amazing MTV concert, VMA, etc. Did not really help sales, but was a wet dream for fans like me who rank that era as one of our favorites.

i dont buy that, not in todays times, look at glee, american idol, the voice, ONE PERFORMANCE ON THOSE SHOWS and the song would skyrocket up the charts over night

she just has to do these shows in a well planned out manner...if GGW starts to drop off itunes this following week-then these performances would help it massively

if she does nothing, then i dont know

No doubt it would, but for how long? Look at what happened with GMAYL. It had the exposure of the Superbowl. Sure, it got top 10 in the U.S.... higher in a few smaller countries, but it hardly was a smash.

I don't doubt that these high rated shows won't give the song a boost for the short term, but it doesn't mean the song will connect with the public anymore. GMAYL proved that. Shit song or not, it got one of the most ultimate promotions ever and it didn't become anymore successful in the long term. Going top 10 and then falling drastically the next week isn't a hit song.

I can't keep up with this thread. You people are OBSESSED with her music charting :wacko: You clearly can't enjoy music unless the masses give it its mediocre stamp of approval. Shame.

Well it's nice to know she's doing well, I guess. She's making music for the masses so it'd be nice if the masses actually bought it.....

Well it's nice to know she's doing well, I guess. She's making music for the masses so it'd be nice if the masses actually bought it.....

But she's already head of the game. Whatever she releases, will instantly get more attention than most artists who are lucky to get one top ten in their whole life time. I agree, she aims to make music for the masses, and I agree it's cool to see her chart a number 10 or even a number one, but 30 years later, it's rare for an artist to keep accomplishing those same feats. Pretty soon we will have to settle for her simply charting her albums and being a touring artist if that's where we are now.

:rotfl: I was trying to think where that came from, I've only played it 4 times and am trying not to go overboard with it. But I agree that it's something of an earworm though, the opening beats.. though it's got nothing on current stuff like "Titanium" and "Somebody That I Used to Know"(!). The actual melody is fairly weak and album track-ish, certainly not lead(ish) Madonna single. :shy:

It sounds like loads of stuff as well, I'm getting a big Witchney Tears "Till the World Ends" vibe, reminds me of the opening "this kitten got your tongue tied in knots I see". I wish she never had that foul low standards promoting "every record sounds the same" lyric but maybe that was the point and an excuse for what was to come. Generica.. romance.

"Titanium" and "Somebody That I Used To Know" are actually fairly old songs - they just took a while to be released/promoted in the northern hemisphere. Here in Australia, they're very much "last year's" news.... :) This just highlights that "current" is relative. What's current for you guys is old news here...

Madonna's site says "The single will be added to international iTunes stores very soon so stay tuned!"

I imagine Sunday or Monday so they count towards the charts in one week rather than being split over a two week period. Certainly if she released before Sunday / Monday in the UK, it would affect her chart position.

Australia's chart week starts on Friday, so they've missed the boat there. If they were worried about chart weeks, they wouldn't be releasing it in the US on a Friday, four days into their chart week. Hopefully, though, it will appear in the UK on Sunday, since that #37 peak for GMAYL really reflects the 0 sales counted between Friday and Monday there.

Guest I'llTeachYouHowTo...

i agree with everyone who said if this song doesn't become a hit, it really IS her age. i loved it the moment i heard the vevo version, but after hearing it in HQ when i bought it yesterday it's just.... :dramatic: no, it's not her most innovative song or whatever but WHO CARES? it's still a HOT song. it's already got like, 102 plays on my ipod in just 24 hours. :lol: it's current, sexy, and fits in well with any of the songs on the radio now...hell, it's better than most of the top 40 on billboard...and it should get it's chance to become the smash it deserves to be.

honestly, i don't get why radio programmers get to just decide that listeners won't like it because she's 'too old'. instead of just not playing the song at all, why don't they play it and let LISTENERS decide if they like it or not? hell, i bet if you didn't tell someone the song was madonna, they would like it. ugh....US radio frustrates me. i guess that's why i don't listen to it. :thumbsup: but still...it'd be nice if she could actually have a CHANCE before being written off this time.

So true! If she's making music for the masses and they're clearly not that interested (as indicated by the charts) then please stop and make some good music. I love her to bits and GGW is good enough disposable pop fluff, but it sounds like a b-side from JLo's last album. Tanqueray?? 808 drums?? She can do better than this. Frankly, Lady GaGa does a better job at copying Madonna than Madonna does copying herself and to call Born This Way reductive and then put out these two singles that are just ridiculously cheesy?? God bless, and I am NOT a monster....I just think Madonna can do better than this. She's perfectly capable of creating fun pop songs without sounding like the soundtrack for Jersey Shore.

Guest I'llTeachYouHowTo...

well i think the picture is hot, whether it used the 'mariah' preset in photoshop or not. :(

well i think the picture is hot, whether it used the 'mariah' preset in photoshop or not. :(

thing is unlike mimi, madonna has an incredible body

smoothing out the skin is fine but she really dsn't need all that other shit