Good Madonna Books

Shane

I finally read the coffee table book Madonna by Daryl Easlea, and I have to say it's one of the best books I've ever read about her, in spite of numerous typos and a few senseless errors. The album analyses are great, though. Really, really good. Probably my favorite book about her, at least as far as dealing with her music career.

I also picked up Marie Clayton's Madonna: The Illustrated Biography, which is recent and has some really good pictures.

Does anyone have favorite or least favorite (shabby) Madonna books?

Do you think there will be any special magazine tributes to her in the wake of the Super Bowl, for this new era?

I finally read the coffee table book Madonna by, and I have to say it's one of the best books I've ever read about her, in spite of numerous typos and a few senseless errors. The album analyses are great, though. Really, really good. Probably my favorite book about her, at least as far as dealing with her music career.

I also picked up Marie Clayton's Madonna: The Illustrated Biography, which is recent and has some really good pictures.

Does anyone have favorite or least favorite (shabby) Madonna books?

Do you think there will be any special magazine tributes to her in the wake of the Super Bowl, for this new era?

Could you please scan a page of the Daryl Easlea's book? It was released in Italy too but I thought the cover wa ugly so I didn't pay attention to it. I'm very interested in the album analyses so if you could scan a page of an album os something it would be really geat since it's not cheap and I have to order it via amazon.it. Thanks n advance!

Yes, I love the Daryl Easlea coffee table book. It's actually one of the first Madonna books that I think is well done. A lot of the others I wasn't impressed by. They seem sort of tabloidish or superficial. But this book really focuses on her work. The color pictures are beautiful also. I found it on the remainder table at a Barnes and Noble here in the US for a really cheap price. So if you live in the US you might be able to find at a cheap at a bookstore rather than ordering from amazon.

Guest bluejean

My fave book about Madonna is Christopher Ciccone's book Life With my Sister:Madonna. Yes apart from the obvious betrayal factor it was great to read a book about her from someone that has known her for 50 years. The little details in it like the perfume she uses, or how she tucks her thumbs into her fists when shes feeling vulnerable add the personal touches that only someone that knows her properly would know.

Great thread btw!

Totally agree. Even though it doesn't reveal anything new or totally shocking it's an amazing insight into Madonna the person.

Guest bluejean

what about Taraborelli (sp?)?

I read that book about 10 years ago, I remember it being good although it was so long ago I can't remember in detail. I do recall him psycho analysing Madonna in it which seems abit pointless from someone who doesn't know her.

Although it's not a biography my favorite M book is Matt's Encyclopedia Madonnica

519K59AEQ9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It's dead accurate and very funny. The only drawback is it was published in 1995 and has never been updated. Sure wish he would, but I understand there's no money in publishing these day's.

I found Madonna: An Intimate Biography by J. Randy Taraborrelli and Madonna: Like an Icon by Lucy O'brien terribly boring. They're just interview/newspaper clipping rehashes. The Christopher Andersen bio wasn't too bad from what I remember.

i remember liking the tarraborreli one, even though M probably isnt too pleased with it ;) he didnt seem to put Madonna down. i must say i read that when i was 13 and hardly knew anything about her yet though.

MybrotherChristopher's book is boring & poorly written. Plus it's ridiculous, but u gotta love the premise:

'I used 2 secretly wipe the sweat of my sisters tits backstage, which led me 2 do coke with A-List celebrities, plus in 1993 I directed the Girlie Show.'

The End. :fag:

Guest bluejean

oh and how could I forget the dennis rodman book..I got scans of just the M parts. juicy.

Please post them.

There's also Rupert Everett dedicating a whole chapter to her in his book. I wonder how many paragraphs he'll make in hers :lol:

Guest groovyguy

I like the books that delve into/analyze her work (of which there are many).

Same here.

41wztKSA9yL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Describes the personal and profession live of Madonna

41y%2BdIZPM6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51j1-T-X6oL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Contains 51 different articles, thesis', poems and rants about Madonna. Features an impressive array of contributors

• 3 years later...

I just finished Madonna: Like an Icon by Lucy O'brien. It is the first Madonna book I have read.

I actually thought it was very interesting. It has been criticized for its extended commentary about Madonna's recording process, but I actually liked the book because of that. First and foremost she is an artist and I'm always interested to read about her album sessions. I was thrilled to read how she was working (and connecting) with different producers/photographers/dancers/DJs/. O'brien wasn't always very objective while writing: sometimes it was annoying when she pretty much told that some songs/ projects weren't good. But she is a fan so didn't hurt that much.

The most interesting parts of the book were her years before her First album, SEX era and ROL sessions.

4/5

My fave book about Madonna is Christopher Ciccone's book Life With my Sister:Madonna. Yes apart from the obvious betrayal factor it was great to read a book about her from someone that has known her for 50 years. The little details in it like the perfume she uses, or how she tucks her thumbs into her fists when shes feeling vulnerable add the personal touches that only someone that knows her properly would know.

Great thread btw!

I feel so strongly against this book that I might never read it.. :nocomment:

The Christopher book really isn't that bad. I finally read it -- used, I wouldn't want to give him a penny. He really doesn't dish much dirt on her at all, really. He has hinted that he could have went a lot father. Came across as I'll get a million now, but won't completely ruin my chances of getting in the will. :nasty:

I always want to know more about her pre fame days in NYC. I find some documentaries such as Madonna Rising you can find on youtube are better than the books. You get to see/hear Steve Bray, Camille Barbone, Pearl Lang, etc.

Cannot WAIT til she writes her own biography.

I hated Christopher's book. Not out of betrayal, but out of bad writing. His triumphant Thanksgiving moment of putting out the butter is the saddest thing I've ever read.

Lucy O'Brien's "Like An Icon" has some good analysis of the albums and the recording processes.

The Encyclopedia Madonnica is the greatest. I really hope the updated volume happens.

Guest Rachelle of London

I feel so strongly against this book that I might never read it.. :nocomment:

Dont buy it but its definitely worth a read. As many have said he doesnt dish the dirt at all. It's not too bad. Some of the other non-Madonna stuff in the book made me laugh the most, like Trudie Styler asking if she has BO or Naomi and Kate arguing on the plane to South Africa. He actually dishes more dirt on other celebs more than Madonna in the book. He also shares some really lovely stuff about M and her letters that she writes to family members and how much she did when Marty was ill.