MDNA Album Thread

IslandBreeze

Guest bluejean

Well, I don't mean in quality necessarily just the fact that they are both frivolous, light hearted pop songs. If MDNA is to be like LAP then it will have to have different types of songs on it as LAP does (as Glinda pointed out in above post). So perhaps GMAYL is the "Cherish" of MDNA.

If that report is true I think they are purely referring to the introspective and personal nature of some of the lyrics. (As a post divorce album.) Nothing about this album soundwise is hinting at Like a Prayer so far. I know what you mean about GMAYL vs. Cherish though.

I like True Blue better and it was a bigger hit too than Cherish.

In the UK maybe. I just love Cherish so much, to me True Blue is such a homage to Doo-wop/Motown girl groups/whatever with cliche lyrics that its almost verging on being a novelty song. Wheras Cherish is just pure classic pop and delves more personal lyrically. "I was never satisfied with casual encounters, I can't hide my need for 2 hearts that bleed with burning love etc."

I like True Blue better and it was a bigger hit too than Cherish.

Respectfully, I consider the two equally the same regarding "hit status". I do realize "Cherish" didn't become a top ten in all countries, but in the biggest markets it was a top 5 song just as True Blue was.

But I do think of these songs in similar regarding the bouncy, playful feel the songs had. I do see how you can compare that to GMAYL. I think Madonna was looking for something that was pure fun with no real deep meaning to kick off this era, and it worked well for the whole Superbowl tie in.

^^

Thank u for posting! Sounds like great news. I just wish they wouldn't compare it to LAP because that's just going to set people up for disappointment IMO. Let's face it, NOTHING she does will probably ever beat that....but I will gladly eat my words if this album does indeed end up being as good as LAP. Perhaps GMAYL is the "Cherish" of MDNA?? :)

LAP was usurped by Erotica.

I have to agree. "Can't Stop" is so awesome. I think CS should have been a single. It probably would have been a huge top 5 hit.

Honestly, that was during (perhaps the tail end of) Madonna's "golden era" when it came to having effortless hit singles so I'm sure she would've had a hit with it and with Spotlight.

Honestly, that was during (perhaps the tail end of) Madonna's "golden era" when it came to having effortless hit singles so I'm sure she would've had a hit with it and with Spotlight.

It's true. It was a fun time to be a Madonna fan. It was a time when even many of the the non singles/album tracks/B-Sides were well known by the general public.

Example from Helsinki: she sold out 80.000 tickets in a day for Sticky & Sweet. After a week she hasn't yet sold out 40-50.000 tickets for Madonna.

Sweden: she sold out two stadiums in minutes for Sticky & Sweet. This time only a one show and Golden Circle tickets still available after a week on sale for Madonna.

To be fair she hadn't visited Helsinki before S&S so the hype and demand was huge. She hadn't been to Sweden since BA so again hype and demand was huge.

I seem to remember reviews for S&S in Sweden reviews were lukewarm so maybe that has something to do with it.

Guest bluejean

So was "Live To Tell". It was made specifically for AT CLOSE RANGE and in fact, was recorded after the album was recorded. Nevertheless, whether it was added on as an "afterthought" or not, doesn't make it any less a "first single". It may not been the intended as a lead single or promoted as the lead single, but there is no doubt the success of the song led to more than just an "after thought". It's easier to sell albums if people are aware of a recent smash top ten is included on it.

American Life was the 1st single release from American Life. Die Another Day was always from the soundtrack to the movie and its later inclusion on American Life does not make it the lead single. Wikipedia agrees with me :lol:

Live To Tell, I was not around then but my understanding is that it was recorded for the True Blue album and then decided to be included in the film (Although it was written for another film before Madonna's involvement.) Whether it was promoted as the 1st single from an upcoming Madonna album I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it was since its widely regarded as the 1st single. I do know that At Close Range had no soundtrack.

American Life was the 1st single release from American Life. Die Another Day was always from the soundtrack to the movie and its later inclusion on American Life does not make it the lead single. Wikipedia agrees with me :lol:

Live To Tell, I was not around then but my understanding is that it was recorded for the True Blue album and then decided to be included in the film (Although it was written for another film before Madonna's involvement.) Whether it was promoted as the 1st single from an upcoming Madonna album I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it was since its widely regarded as the 1st single. I do know that At Close Range had no soundtrack.

Whether it was intended or not, it still became the FIRST single from American Life. It may have not been conventionally released or promoted as the first single, but it became the first single. You can argue anyway you want, but the fact comes down to... "Die Another Day" was the first single from the album, whether it was intended or not.

As for "Live to Tell", the song was indeed promoted as the single from the "Forthcoming album True Blue". It's mentioned on the back cover sleeve of the single. Yet, the song before it landed in Madonna's hands was a project for another movie that Pat Leonard was involved with. At the time, he hoped Madonna could write lyrics for the song. The song was rejected by Paramount before it reached Madonna's hands. When it did reach her hands, she wanted to use it for Sean Penn's film AT CLOSE RANGE. The intention wasn't to even use Madonna as the lead vocals. At any rate, I believe I read somewhere the song was actually the last song she worked on that went on TRUE BLUE.

Whether it was intended or not, it still became the FIRST single from American Life. It may have not been conventionally released or promoted as the first single, but it became the first single. You can argue anyway you want, but the fact comes down to... "Die Another Day" was the first single from the album, whether it was intended or not.

As for "Live to Tell", the song was indeed promoted as the single from the "Forthcoming album True Blue". It's mentioned on the back cover sleeve of the single. Yet, the song before it landed in Madonna's hands was a project for another movie indeed that Pat Leonard was involved with. At the time, he hoped Madonna could write lyrics for the song. The song was rejected by Paramount before it reached Madonna's hands. When it did reach her hands, she wanted to use it for Sean Penn's film AT CLOSE RANGE. The intention wasn't to even use Madonna as the lead vocals. At any rate, I believe I read somewhere the song was actually the last song she worked on that went on TRUE BLUE.

During the Shangaï Suprise press conference in London she said that the name of her forthcoming album was "Live to tell".

During the Shangaï Suprise press conference in London she said that the name of her forthcoming album was "Live to tell".

True... her original intention was to call the album "Live to Tell". However, it was changed to "True Blue".But keep in mind, that press conference was done the same month "Live To Tell" was released as a single. AT CLOSE RANGE was released the following month in APRIL. Obviously, they knew there was going to be no soundtrack by then. It was nearly 4 months later (from "Live To Tell's" Release) before TRUE BLUE was released.The album artwork or photo shoots didn't even take place yet. Madonna obviously used this time as an opportunity to punch up her image more by the time she arrived on the carpet to the premiere of Sean's new film.

Yes but weren't those her 1st time ever in those countries? It makes sense the demand wouldn't be as high and I seem to recall some bad press re: Sticky & Sweet in Helsinki?

1st for Finland and 2nd for Sweden.

Most of the other euro shows haven't sold out either this time. However, in USA its selling really well..

Im sure GMAYL would've been No.1 for her during the 1980's too..

Im starting to think maybe she shuoldve released more "serious" single first AND THEN GMAYL? Just like True Blue was 3rd and Cherish was 3rd singles..

General consensus seems to be light/fluffy = bad.

Im sure GMAYL would've been No.1 for her during the 1980's too..

Im starting to think maybe she shuoldve released more "serious" single first AND THEN GMAYL? Just like True Blue was 3rd and Cherish was 3rd singles..

General consensus seems to be light/fluffy = bad.

Do you mean from Madonna, because most of the successful songs anymore are "light and fluffy"?

People just need to look at the obvious... Madonna isn't getting the proper radio airplay anymore. If radio continued to play the song as much as they have been playing other popular songs, this song would continue to climb.

:wow:

TORTURE! March 26th can't come soon enough!

I'm sure by the time the album is due the promotion will be in full swing.

Does anybody know anything about the iTunes bonus tracks? I mean will they be remixes or possibly new songs. I know a song called Kids has been mentioned somewhere and that SIA did a song with M that was rumoured to be on but then was off the album.

Also I've preordered the album from iTunes UK - can anyone tell me how do I get the pre order? Will they email or will it just be there on the 26th?

I'm sure by the time the album is due the promotion will be in full swing.

Does anybody know anything about the iTunes bonus tracks? I mean will they be remixes or possibly new songs. I know a song called Kids has been mentioned somewhere and that SIA did a song with M that was rumoured to be on but then was off the album.

Also I've preordered the album from iTunes UK - can anyone tell me how do I get the pre order? Will they email or will it just be there on the 26th?

It'll download automatically once you open up ITUNES. Of course, you'll have to be signed into your account.

As for the bonus songs, it could be a remix or here's a thought.... VIDEO? There may be a behind the scenes clip/video planned for the bonus track. I'm sure that's me "wishful thinking" though.

It'll download automatically once you open up ITUNES. Of course, you'll have to be signed into your account.

As for the bonus songs, it could be a remix or here's a thought.... VIDEO? There may be a behind the scenes clip/video planned for the bonus track. I'm sure that's me "wishful thinking" though.

Thanks for the info. Really can't wait for the album and am very excited that the bonus could be a video. I'd rather an exclusive new song or video than a remix but I'm sure whatever we will get will be great.

Thanks for the info. Really can't wait for the album and am very excited that the bonus could be a video. I'd rather an exclusive new song or video than a remix but I'm sure whatever we will get will be great.

Oh, I am not saying the bonus IS a video. That's me "wishful thinking". I just thought with the promo video up at Madonna.com, that there is possibly some behind the scenes footage on video from the studio.

Hung Up stayed in the top10 on the US i-tunes for 8 weeks(56days) and at no1 for 15 days. Plus, it hit top20 on 2 radio formats(top40 and hot ac) at a time when dance was extremely unpopular. GMAYL couldn't stay in the top10 for even 9 days even though we had the SuperBowl, the massive radio deal, TV interviews and billboards on many interstates and freeways across the US.

Who would have predicted before the launch of the single that GMAYL would make Hung Up look like a gigantic smash in the US.

Hung Up stayed in the top10 on the US i-tunes for 8 weeks(56days) and at no1 for 15 days. Plus, it hit top20 on 2 radio formats(top40 and hot ac) at a time when dance was extremely unpopular. GMAYL couldn't stay in the top10 for even 9 days even though we had the SuperBowl, the massive radio deal, TV interviews and billboards on many interstates and freeways across the US.

Who would have predicted before the launch of the single that GMAYL would make Hung Up look like a gigantic smash in the US.

I could've. Lol I still love hung up even the demo without the Abba sample was brilliant. Of course the sample added that iconic ooomph it needed to perfect it but the song itself, is great.

Why do you even care? GMAYL is a fun song, I listen to it on my iPod all the time. Cool that it is a Top 10 hit, but I would like it as much if it had peaked at 87. Why in the world does it matter where an artist peaks for you to enjoy their music?

I am excited that there are going to be 15 tracks on this release!

Hung Up was 7 years ago. Why not compare GMAYL to Like a Virgin or Vogue as well..

Her last lead single was Celebration and it flopped more than GMAYL in US, enough said.

GMAYL looks like a gigantic smash in the US compared to Celebration -> see? your logic is pointless unless you try to purposely downplay her achievements.

Why do you even care? GMAYL is a fun song, I listen to it on my iPod all the time. Cool that it is a Top 10 hit, but I would like it as much if it had peaked at 87. Why in the world does it matter where an artist peaks for you to enjoy their music?

I am excited that there are going to be 15 tracks on this release!

YES!

Finally someone like me.

To be quite honest, if I didn't visit this forum I would think GMAYL is the bigger hit. After all, it was played on the hour a couple weeks ago and still is getting play. Whereas with HU I NEVER heard it on the radio....not the first time and I listened to radio a lot more back then than I do now.

I have a prediction......whether she releases a unanimously loved song (and when has THAT ever happened?? NEVER) or a unanimously hated song (that doesn't happen too often either) she's going to struggle to get her songs played. That's just how it is. This "decline" really started in 1993....some things just have to be accepted. She's 53, 30 years into her career and not "hot".

And for the record, I'm shocked that she scored her 38th Top 10 at this stage in her career, I'm shocked that people still care enough about her that they catapult her album to number one in 50+ countries before it's released. I'm shocked that one of the acts that has the biggest "gay" association managed to pull in more viewers than the actual game for the Super Bowl.

Now don't get me wrong, I would love Madonna to be number one on the airplay charts for 9 weeks and beat TAB's run at the top of the Hot 100....or even just a one week run at the top would be good. But look at the figures above, she's kind of beyond that it this point. Things seem to be on a much BIGGER scale for her now. Success of her singles aren't the end all be all that they used to be for her. She can have 5 number ones in a row or 5 misses from the Hot 100 in a row and she still maintains her status. She's a legend. Let Katy Perry have five flops in a row and we'll forget her face by next year.

^Exactly, Kurt.

HU was far better received with the buying public (it WAS a stronger track, after all). And, it was when M still was in her 40s (not that it mattered in terms of her U.S. airplay potential). And she will struggle with U.S. airplay, no matter if the track is one of her best or mediocre. Some just get some sort of crazy satisfaction out of focusing on any negative. Why bother, ya know.

Anyhow...

The album will be released in five weeks and one day. Yay.