MDNA Album Thread

IslandBreeze

Why are they continuing to release tracks unrepresentative of the album?--I'm beginning to believe they could release the entire track listing and they'd still say it isn't representative of the album! :lol:

Ikr, it's like if they're not interested in selling the album at all :lol:

Some artists do put an acoustic version of a song on their singles in addition to remixes. So it could be for that.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2012/02/29/william-orbit-the-singles-that-have-come-out-arent-necessarily-representative/

William Orbit: The singles that have come out aren’t necessarily representative

Tonight, William Orbit guest edited the BBC World Services arts programme ‘The Strand’ this Wednesday the 29th. From Bush House in The Strand, London.

Here’s the interview..

You’ve been kind of busy lately with Madonna. Was it six tracks on MDNA, the latest album which is about to come out?

WILLIAM ORBIT: It was six the last time I counted, but we keep adding special tracks.

You keep adding or she keeps adding?

WILLIAM ORBIT: She’s driving the train, but I come along happily.

She always says musically you finish one another’s sentences. What does that mean, musically? Give us an idea of what it’s like collaborating with her?

WILLIAM ORBIT: We definitely been working together for a long time, so there’s a certain telepathy. We tend to get into the guitar zone now. We get the accoustics out and do it campfire style.

I’m not a great singer, I sound like a mosquito trapped in a bottle. She’s a fabulous singer, but she’s very forgiving. She just wants it to work as a song. That’s where we start.

You just strum it out and work it out that way?

Yeah, yeah…

You’re in touch [with Madonna], you’ve got to work with her tomorrow?

WILLIAM ORBIT: Probably tonight… What she has decided to do is extra accoustic versions. There’s some pretty hard, rocking tracks. There’s a very different variation of styles. Mostly pretty savage, actually. The singles that have come out aren’t necessarily representative.

She wants to do some sort of more downbeat version?

WILLIAM ORBIT: Downbeat…kind of the banjo and things like that.

Transcript by Madonnarama

Why are they continuing to release tracks unrepresentative of the album?--I'm beginning to believe they could release the entire track listing and they'd still say it isn't representative of the album! :lol:

Exactly! WTF is going on?! :wacko:

I hate to bring up Gaga but Born This Way the song and Judas weren't really representative of the album so there could be truth in the statement

Exactly! WTF is going on?! :wacko:

Well he said the album was eclectic; maybe so much so that there are no truly "representative" songs? I don't know. I mean usually she has a very definite theme/atmosphere going on with each album but I guess the concept this time is M's DNA - bits and pieces of this and that.

Blah, it's too early to know much of anything. Waiting for an album is such a cocktease.

It might not make 1 million, but there's a good chance that the album will sell well in its debut week. Hits Daily Double thinks that 300k is attainable. In addition, for every American tour ticket purchased online via TicketMaster, the buyer has a choice to redeem a digital or physical copy of Madonna's new album. As long as they are redeemed, they are counted towards its sale.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi (posted by thebigham)

MadonnaÂ’s Super Bowl performance generated an immediate tidal wave of interest, countering those naysayers who believed Interscope overpaid when it reportedly gave her $30m for three records, despite the lackluster performance of her last few albums; her most recent LP, 2008Â’s Hard Candy, sold just 740k.

But this could be a whole new ballgame for Madonna, whose March 26 LP is already north of 50k in digital preorders, with a 300k debut now seemingly attainable, while some of her European stadium dates and U.S. arena shows go on sale next week. (2/9a)

ABOUT THE MDNA ALBUM AND MADONNA'S TOUR:

The SoundScan rules: (posted by the bigham)

The album is included with the price. The only albums that will count are those that the U.S. online-ticketed customer chooses to redeem. Meaning: Once the customer gets the unique code and they download the album, or, have it mailed to them as a physical CD, then those will count as a sale.

That's great news.I'm sure that this album will have strong worldwide sales,too.

I love that he praises her singing. Everyone she's ever worked with just gushes about her, and I love it! Also loving how much material we are about to get! Bring on this era of the Queen!

it's a very good chance that they are working on the tour. agreed.

That's what I think. An acoustic remix LP? Doubt it. Bitch just wants a reason to take a break from dancing during the show and strum some shit.

I love that he praises her singing. Everyone she's ever worked with just gushes about her, and I love it! Also loving how much material we are about to get! Bring on this era of the Queen!

i thought that was kinda cool too. she's such a PERFORMER that it's cool when we get little tiny glimpses of her actually being an artist. a creative, capable music maker.

Maybe she called him in for some quality control on the Bennassi and Solveig tracks?

I can assure you Madonna (like me) loves those tracks. If you think she's listening to the "fans" that keep complaining, you couldn't be more wrong.

Guest groovyguy

Maybe she called him in for some quality control on the Bennassi and Solveig tracks?

I don't hear anything about quality control. I only hear additional special tracks and extra acoustic versions.

You’ve been kind of busy lately with Madonna. Was it six tracks on MDNA, the latest album which is about to come out?

WILLIAM ORBIT: It was six the last time I counted, but we keep adding special tracks.

You’re in touch [with Madonna], you’ve got to work with her tomorrow?

WILLIAM ORBIT: Probably tonight… What she has decided to do is extra accoustic versions. There’s some pretty hard, rocking tracks. There’s a very different variation of styles. Mostly pretty savage, actually. The singles that have come out aren’t necessarily representative.

It might not make 1 million, but there's a good chance that the album will sell well in its debut week. Hits Daily Double thinks that 300k is attainable. In addition, for every American tour ticket purchased online via TicketMaster, the buyer has a choice to redeem a digital or physical copy of Madonna's new album. As long as they are redeemed, they are counted towards its sale.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi (posted by thebigham)

MadonnaÂ’s Super Bowl performance generated an immediate tidal wave of interest, countering those naysayers who believed Interscope overpaid when it reportedly gave her $30m for three records, despite the lackluster performance of her last few albums; her most recent LP, 2008Â’s Hard Candy, sold just 740k.

But this could be a whole new ballgame for Madonna, whose March 26 LP is already north of 50k in digital preorders, with a 300k debut now seemingly attainable, while some of her European stadium dates and U.S. arena shows go on sale next week. (2/9a)

ABOUT THE MDNA ALBUM AND MADONNA'S TOUR:

The SoundScan rules: (posted by the bigham)

The album is included with the price. The only albums that will count are those that the U.S. online-ticketed customer chooses to redeem. Meaning: Once the customer gets the unique code and they download the album, or, have it mailed to them as a physical CD, then those will count as a sale.

Her last few albums lackluster? That would be Confessions on a Dance Floor and Hard Candy.

Confessions on a Dance Floor sold like 10 million copies worldwide. Warner Bros. gushed about her being their queen and saving them.

Hard Candy sold 4 million worldwide. And I remember it being ranked one of the top 10 sellers of 2008.

And those are just the albums proper...

Sticky and Sweet Tour disc sold 5.5 million worldwide.

Celebration sold 2 million worldwide.

I know a lot of (American) publications tend to focus on domestic sales, but at the end of the day America is only a slice of the pie. If a record sold zero in America and 5 million overseas, the record company wouldn't care. Money is money.

So a $30-40 million Interscope deal makes plenty of sense for any artist that can sale a million or more records. Hard Candy alone generated that amount of money.

BTW...I found it laughable that U2 - who are, along with Madonna one of the few remaining monoculture artists/acts - were disappointed that their last record sold "only" 5 million copies. I love them to death, but come one, those are HUGE numbers by todays standards. Their last 2004 record sold 9 million. Madonna's 2005 record sold 10 million. In the 4-5 years since then, the industry's sales have eroded big time. The old business model is dead and buried, unfortunately, the major labels still don't seem to get that.

Madonna is very smart to build her record into her ticket sales. It shows that she knows those days are over and is trying to work a new model.

Edited by Viktor

Her last few albums lackluster? That would be Confessions on a Dance Floor and Hard Candy.

Confessions on a Dance Floor sold like 10 million copies worldwide. Warner Bros. gushed about her being their queen and saving them.

Hard Candy sold 4 million worldwide. And I remember it being ranked one of the top 10 sellers of 2008.

And those are just the albums proper...

Sticky and Sweet Tour disc sold 5.5 million worldwide.

Celebration sold 2 million worldwide.

I know a lot of (American) publications tend to focus on domestic sales, but at the end of the day America is only a slice of the pie. If a record sold zero in America and 5 million overseas, the record company wouldn't care. Money is money.

So a $30-40 million Interscope deal makes plenty of sense for any artist that can sale a million or more records. Hard Candy alone generated that amount of money.

Absolutely! But they always try to spin Madonna negatively. She just had a Top 10 single that is being called a flop! You just can't take these things seriously.