MDNA Album Thread

IslandBreeze

I knew Madonna wanted GMAYL as first single. She also wanted Candy Shop to be first single but I guess WBR was more decisive than Interscope at that time. Somebody should stop her making stupid decisions. I hope GMAYL won't harm the album sales..

of course not... having it zoom to #1 in 50 countries on pre-orders is proof enough...

I knew Madonna wanted GMAYL as first single. She also wanted Candy Shop to be first single but I guess WBR was more decisive than Interscope at that time. Somebody should stop her making stupid decisions. I hope GMAYL won't harm the album sales..

After all those years of having her first single decisions cock blocked by Warners, she obviously though FUCK YOU, IM GONNA DO WHAT I WAN

I totally buy that Madonna wanted GMAYL and the label didn't. However the rest of that "review" is questionable. I doubt anyone at the label is pissed at M.I.A., and I doubt they'd remove her from the song. The album is done. Some of those descriptions sound whack, but that horrible "dog without a bone" lyric is definitely something M would write!

Someone who apparently heard the album posted this review on tribe:

Okay, so I heard the album today. I will have a full review of the album the week of it's release. Let's just say that even though this album is no Ray of Light or Like a Prayer, there is nothing to worry about here. Madonna has made a solid album with only a couple lousy tracks:

Give Me All Your Luvin and B-Day song. By the way, MIA's contribution has been taken out of B-Day song. From the sound of the people at Interscope, they wish MIA would be taken out for good everywhere. They are REALLY pissed at her.

Let me talk about the standout tracks first.

Girls Gone Wild--This song is EPIC. It immediately is on fire. It sort of reminds me of Deeper and Deeper. It may be overproduced, but so what. I can see a great video being made out of this.

Falling Free--What a beatiful ballad. Her voice sounds so pure in this. "Falling Free without a hand to hold. Falling Free like a dog without a bone" are they only lyrics I remember. Think "This Used To Be My Playground" but only better.

Masterpiece--You have all heard this. It is beautiful.

Turn Up The Radio--Definitely a club banger. If the lyrics didn't repeat themselves so much, this would have been my choice for a second single.

Gang Bang--Madonna wants to kill somebody in this song. It's not so musically impressive, but the lyrics really tell a story. I hope the story isn't autobiographical.

I F*cked Up--This song is Madonna basically saying sorry to people she hurt in the past. It sort of reminds me of Alanis Morisette's "Unsent." It has two slow parts, but the chorus is fast and really good.

The songs that didn't excite me:

I'm a Sinner--It sounded like a Britney Spears song. It wasn't bad, but several took a bathroom break during the song. "I'm a sinner and I don't care. I have given all I dare to bare." LOL!

B-Day Song--Abortional. Nanananananananananananana.

Some Girls--A good midtempo beat, but really bad lyrics. "Some girls they like candy. Some girls they like fun. Some girls like to f**k."

GMAYL--The worst song on the album besides B-Day song. The people at Interscope wanted to skip it, but some listeners wanted to hear it. One of the A&R guys told me that Interscope did not want to release this as the first single, but Madonna insisted they do.

Overall, I would give the album a B+ and that's just from one listen. It ranks up there with Confessions, but not Ray of Light or Like a Prayer.

I call this B.S. First of all, people just don't get up to take a "bathroom break" at these label listening parties. I just don't buy it. There is a level of respect when these listening parties go on. I could be wrong, but I just doubt anyone got up to go to the bathroom. :blink:

I also think this is all made up based on the small snippets of the songs we heard and the single review of Girl's Gone Wild. We all know that "Turn Up The Radio" sounds like the lyrics are repetitive, but you can bet on the full song it won't sound so. You'd think someone listening to that track would have come away with something more new than what was obvious from the small clip. Also, the record company was totally behind her on releasing GMAYL. I suspect they probably knew it was simply to tie in to the Super Bowl and possibly knew it wasn't going to stick around. And the whole idea of dropping M.I.A.... sorry don't buy it. I also question the lyrics that was mentioned for "Some Girls". But we'll see.

Guest I'llTeachYouHowTo...

i really don't believe a word of that 'review'. :americanlife:

i mean, yes, this is the woman who brought us the 'american life' rap and 'see my booty get down', but that 'dog without a bone...' shit is just... :gross:

guess we'll find out when the album is released/leaks.

or if they end up releasing each song on the album as a 'buzz' single until something sticks.

either or.

Edited by Fuck

i really don't believe a word of that 'review'. :americanlife:

i mean, yes, this is the woman who brought us the 'american life' rap and 'see my booty get down', but that 'dog without a bone...' shit is just... :gross:

guess we'll find out when the album is released/leaks.

or if they end up releasing each song on the album as a 'buzz' single until something sticks.

either or.

:lmao:

Posted on PopJustice

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, the person posting on here saying they heard the entire album is lying.

Universal has only played the record...and not even the complete record...for label execs before Xmas in NYC. No journalists, other than very long-lead magazine reviewers, have heard anything beyond what we fans have heard.

The album is under lock and key. They don't want anything else to leak, obviously, and so they're not even allowing the album to be uploaded to the normal, internal Universal system the label normally uses.

All these rumored lyrics, M.I.A. cuts, etc. are just that: rumors.

Posted on PopJustice

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, the person posting on here saying they heard the entire album is lying.

Universal has only played the record...and not even the complete record...for label execs before Xmas in NYC. No journalists, other than very long-lead magazine reviewers, have heard anything beyond what we fans have heard.

The album is under lock and key. They don't want anything else to leak, obviously, and so they're not even allowing the album to be uploaded to the normal, internal Universal system the label normally uses.

All these rumored lyrics, M.I.A. cuts, etc. are just that: rumors.

I figured so. Even Martin Solveig said he didn't have access to the album yet.

Guest FrozenEyes

Of course that shit is fake. Think of your impressions first time listening to a Madonna album.

First time I listened to Confessions I thought.."WTF is this? I don't like any of these songs except Hung Up and Jump!" But then it went on to be one of my favorites for the year. So I cannot trust my first impressions. :lol:

Is this true? Because I remember Madonna wanting "Give it 2 Me" as the first single, but not "Candy Shop". "Give it 2 Me" would not have been a bad choice. I love that song.

Edited by Brotherhood

Is this true? Because I remember Madonna wanting "Give it 2 Me" as the first single, but not "Candy Shop". "Give it 2 Me" would not have been a bad choice. I love that song.

I agree! I recently posted in a HC thread how I thought the singles should've been released and I've always thought GI2M would've made a good "buzz" single if you will. Kind of released just to drum up interest for the album and then about 3 weeks to a month later hit everybody with 4M.

No. She wanted "Candy Shop". There was a listening party in which she asked which song should be the first single (Candy Shop vs 4 Minutes)and most voted 4 minutes and she seemed quite upset about it. That's what I remember. But WTF@her wanting Candy Shop!?coz her sugar is rrrrrraaaawwwww?

Exactly, Madonna wanted "Give It 2 Me" to be the first single. Her record company wanted "4 Minutes" to capitalize on the Timbaland and Timberlake collab. And it worked out well that way. Though, I don't think "Give It 2 Me" would have worked as the first single. I guess we'll never know. In fact, their should have been two releases simultaneously for different regions as the second single. I think the U.S. should have gotten "Beat Goes On" and/or "Devil..." as a follow up. Warners abandoned this project way too soon.

I remember both CS and GI2M being discussed as album titles, not lead singles. From what I recall reading, Madonna wanted CS and the label wanted 4M. I remember this vividly because while I had issues with "Die Another Day," "American Life," and "Hung Up" (DAD and HU went on to grow on me enormously), it was the CS rumor when I realized that Madonna had truly lost her good instincts.

Exactly, Madonna wanted "Give It 2 Me" to be the first single. Her record company wanted "4 Minutes" to capitalize on the Timbaland and Timberlake collab. And it worked out well that way. Though, I don't think "Give It 2 Me" would have worked as the first single. I guess we'll never know. In fact, their should have been two releases simultaneously for different regions as the second single. I think the U.S. should have gotten "Beat Goes On" and/or "Devil..." as a follow up. Warners abandoned this project way too soon.

I don't think thats correct. From what I remember, Madonna wanted Candy Shop as the first single, and GI2M as the title of the album.

No. She wanted "Candy Shop". There was a listening party in which she asked which song should be the first single (Candy Shop vs 4 Minutes)and most voted 4 minutes and she seemed quite upset about it. That's what I remember. But WTF@her wanting Candy Shop!?coz her sugar is rrrrrraaaawwwww?

You are incorrect. SHE wanted "Give It 2 Me" to be the first single. What you may be confusing is that she wanted to call the album "Candy Shop" but they encouraged her not to do so since 50 Cent had a hit single a few years prior with the same title. I believe she also wanted to call it "Give It 2 Me", but they didn't want to confuse people with Timbaland and Nelly Furtado's huge hit called "Give it to Me".

You are incorrect. SHE wanted "Give It 2 Me" to be the first single. What you may be confusing is that she wanted to call the album "Candy Shop" but they encouraged her not to do so since 50 Cent had a hit single a few years prior with the same title. I believe she also wanted to call it "Give It 2 Me", but they didn't want to confuse people with Timbaland and Nelly Furtado's huge hit called "Give it to Me".

Where's your source?

Candy Shop and GI2M were both under consideration for the album name, with GI2m going into full effect till last minute. And again, I don't know where your getting your information from, but CS was supposed to be the 1st single, per Madonna's mind, but because 4M got a better reception at the listening party, 4M ended up becoming the lead.

If Madonna insisted on GMAYL, she probably was thinking what would fit best in the SB performance/atmosphere.

Exactly.Obviously,a song with cheerleading chants is tailor-made for the SuperBowl.

I call this B.S. First of all, people just don't get up to take a "bathroom break" at these label listening parties. I just don't buy it. There is a level of respect when these listening parties go on. I could be wrong, but I just doubt anyone got up to go to the bathroom. :blink:

I also think this is all made up based on the small snippets of the songs we heard and the single review of Girl's Gone Wild. We all know that "Turn Up The Radio" sounds like the lyrics are repetitive, but you can bet on the full song it won't sound so. You'd think someone listening to that track would have come away with something more new than what was obvious from the small clip. Also, the record company was totally behind her on releasing GMAYL. I suspect they probably knew it was simply to tie in to the Super Bowl and possibly knew it wasn't going to stick around. And the whole idea of dropping M.I.A.... sorry don't buy it. I also question the lyrics that was mentioned for "Some Girls". But we'll see.

I agree....that "review" is B.S. :lol: There aren't enough detailed descriptions of the songs for it to be genuine.