MDNA Album Thread

IslandBreeze

Celebration was a hit on the radio in the UK and it hit no3 on the singles chart.

Even Miles Away did well on the radio. BBC Radio2 A listed it! Which is huge.

It's not only the BBC radio stations that have been ignoring GMAYL. Most big radio stations have been doing so. UK radio is not obsessed with age and it's very independent. BBC is state owned and it doesn't care about money anyway. They never play commercials. They're not obsessed with targeting specific demographics like North American radio. Their problem is with the song. I'm sure the second single is gonna be a radio hit.

Take a fucking pill and RELAX! It sounds like it's' YOUR single and you're losing MONEY.

GOD. Yes, you hate the song WE GOT IT THE FIRST TIME.

Guest Fukujima

Take a fucking pill and RELAX! It sounds like it's' YOUR single and your losing MONEY.

GOD. Yes, you hate the song WE GOT IT THE FIRST TIME.

+ 10000000000 jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezuz christ

They said that? Is there a link? It would seem weird that all of a sudden she is out of their demographic. Turning 50 didn't stop them from playing stuff from Hard Candy.

Is Radio 2 playing it?

The song wasn't on the Radio 2 playlist when I looked a couple of days ago. Radio 1 gradually drifted away from Madonna. Miles Away only really got played by Scott Mills, Celebration was played but only after it charted in the top ten. Revolver got no airplay on either station as far as I'm aware. As I said in another post, the new director of Radio 1 is actively targeting a younger audience and so Madonna has no chance now. This has been going on for years. Both Status Quo and Phil Collins complained about being dropped by Radio 1 years ago. However, it's a concern that Radio 2 aren't playing it.

Guest Xanthium

I laugh when they say they're "targeting a younger audience". How is not playing Madonna targeting a younger audience? If a song is hot, young people don't care who is singing it or how old the singer is. Why don't they just say they're not playing older artists? If you're gonna be ageist and discriminate, have some balls to stand by your ideals. I can understand radio stations not wanting to play older artists that make more adult contemporary music but Madonna is making dance/pop records. When I was a kid, I listened to everyone, young and old. When I was 12, I was obsessed with The B-52's Cosmic Thing album and they were "ancient". Do the kids of today really care about age as much as people think they do? Or is it just a stereotype placed upon them to justify the media's obsession with youth?

Celebration was a hit on the radio in the UK and it hit no3 on the singles chart.

It's not only the BBC radio stations that have been ignoring GMAYL. Most big radio stations have been doing so. UK radio is not obsessed with age and it's very independent. BBC is state owned and it doesn't care about money anyway. They never play commercials. They're not obsessed with targeting specific demographics like North American radio. Their problem is with the song. I'm sure the second single is gonna be a radio hit.

Newsflash: Madonna has had underperforming singles before and guess what? Her career survived.I really don't see what all the panic and concern is all about.She's getting ready to launch what will be the year's biggest,most lucrative,soldout world tour.Her new album will debut at Number One in a zillion countries when it is released next month.

That crappy Celebration (dated gay eurodisco) and Miles Away (snooze fest sorry excuse for a single) flopped so hard..I thought her career was over. Thank god she came back with GMAYL which is huge (her biggest hit since 4 Minutes), UK just have bad taste, NOW MOVE.

ps. BBC Radio 2 is for elderly people.

psps. Im sure the second single will be hit in UK, if it sounds dated gay disco (like Celebration) BUT in that case it will flop bad everywhere with good taste.

That crappy Celebration (dated gay eurodisco) and Miles Away (snooze fest sorry excuse for a single) flopped so hard..I thought her career was over. Thank god she came back with GMAYL which is huge (her biggest hit since 4 Minutes), UK just have bad taste, NOW MOVE.

ps. BBC Radio 2 is for elderly people.

psps. Im sure the second single will be hit in UK, if it sounds dated gay disco (like Celebration) BUT in that case it will flop bad everywhere with good taste.

:D

Oh and it's PPS

I really don't know why so many people keep saying relax or accuse other people of acting like the world is ending. I really haven't seen much of that in here. Some people are just pointing out how this single is not doing the best. If anyone is over-reacting it's the people who are telling Jasonakos his post is over the top. He didn't say her career is over, just her single. :)

I really don't know why so many people keep saying relax or accuse other people of acting like the world is ending. I really haven't seen much of that in here. Some people are just pointing out how this single is not doing the best. If anyone is over-reacting it's the people who are telling Jasonakos his post is over the top. He didn't say her career is over, just her single. :)

I guess I just don't understand why some fans keep dwelling on this.We know the single isn't doing as well as it could be,but hey...life goes on.Let's stop it with the doom and gloom and focus on all the *good* things that are coming our way: the new album and the new tour.And truthfully,GMAYL isn't a flop at all.It reached Number 13 on the Billboard chart.A "flop song" would be a song that doesn't even reach the Top 40 at all.

I guess I just don't understand why some fans keep dwelling on this.We know the single isn't doing as well as it could be,but hey...life goes on.Let's stop it with the doom and gloom and focus on all the *good* things that are coming our way: the new album and the new tour.And truthfully,GMAYL isn't a flop at all.It reached Number 13 on the Billboard chart.A "flop song" would be a song that doesn't even reach the Top 40 at all.

see Celebration.

I understand. And you are right, the concerts are selling out and MDNA will debut strong despite this setback. I think part of the problem may be that after a 4 year break, some people may have wanted Madonna to come back full force with an undeniable reminder of her greatness - and she did (with the Super Bowl) but the musical aspect of that comeback (so far) is disappointing and some may even say weak. This track isn't the icy majesty of "Frozen", the glitter bomb of happiness that was "Hung Up" or even the lumbering brass assault of "4 Minutes." I think this instills some disappointment because we all know what happens in this day and age when a lead single doesn't catch fire in the culture and we (of course) want Madonna to be successful in all arenas (charts, concerts, TV performances).

How exactly is anything flopping? GMAYL debuted at 13 and may hit Top 10 this week, she set the all time record for halftime, and her album hit #1 without being released yet. So confused and feeling like I am on a different plane when it comes to expectations?? I also enjoy the single thoroughly.

How exactly is anything flopping? GMAYL debuted at 13 and may hit Top 10 this week, she set the all time record for halftime, and her album hit #1 without being released yet. So confused and feeling like I am on a different plane when it comes to expectations?? I also enjoy the single thoroughly.

People dont like the song

Guest groovyguy

http://boyculture.typepad.com/boy_culture/madonna/

W-I-N It: Madonna's "Give Me All Your Luvin'" Singles!

Enter to win a copy of Madonna's new single "Give Me All Your Luvin'!"

"GIVE ME ALL YOUR LUVIN'" ft. Nicki Minaj and M.I.A.

the brand-new single from music icon

MADONNA

Available Now!

From the album MDNA—Coming March 26

madonna.com

To enter, just comment this blog with your favorite lead single from any of Madonna's studio albums. I'll pick 10 of you at random to win one week from today at 5PM EST. (All winners must be in the 50 United States or its holdings.)

Guest ditaluver

People dont like the song

well not all people dislike.

a childhood friend of mine said her 4 yd old LUVS it and she's now having to download songs from her entire career.

its a fun song. its madonna.

ill never complain.

My sentiments exactly. It's a decent enough song for radio (not the best, but decent), and it's likely gonna go top 10 before all is said and done. Mission accomplished.

The whole purpose of the single was to inspire hype, which it has. People know Madonna is back, has a new album coming out, and is going on tour again. Preorders for the record are through the roof, the SuperBowl was a hit, and tour dates are already selling out. Chart positions have always been a formality.

From a business standpoint, Live Nation and Interscope will have a hit. So take a chill pill about GMAYL not being the fastest spreading fire out there. In two months you will have the album in your hands and will forget all of this anyway.

it's likely gonna go top 10 before all is said and done.

I would actually be very happy to welcome another Madonna song into the Top 10. I won't change my opinion of it, but it would be nice to have one for this album since it will be unlikely that any others make it (at least in the U.S.)

Guest bluejean

It does seem like meltdown territory here. As you said mostly from the loons screaming things like "CALM DOWN PEOPLE! THE ALBUM IS #1, THE TOUR IS SELLING OUT, MADONNA HAS NOTHING TO PROVE." Obviously THOSE are the people that are MOST worried and upset about the single not doing too well.

Personally in the US I think it's done better than it deserves already.

do people here really not think give me all your love was just meant for the Superbowl? It's quite "TRANSPARENT" even tho it should have been more of a hit than it was considering the push

No. I don't agree. It was one of the first songs that we heard when someone recorded outside her house last year and it sounded very dancey. I don't think the song was necessarily originally intended for the Superbowl but then she steered it towards the event.

It does seem like meltdown territory here. As you said mostly from the loons screaming things like "CALM DOWN PEOPLE! THE ALBUM IS #1, THE TOUR IS SELLING OUT, MADONNA HAS NOTHING TO PROVE." Obviously THOSE are the people that are MOST worried and upset about the single not doing too well.

Personally in the US I think it's done better than it deserves already.

Idk...I think the people going in every thread screaming it's a flop...it's a flop are the ones most worried about it. I don't see how some can't see how annoying that is to see not in just one thread, but in all threads that pertain to the whole project. You got it in this album thread, the video thread, the Superbowl thread and sales and airplay threads. I mean....we get it! :lol:

Not directed at you obviously but sheesh....I'll just say we are in a transitional phase with Madge's career IMO. She's now primarily a touring artist, WB was all about pushing the singles to sell the albums. LN/Interscope is more about pushing the album to promote the tour...not the other way around as we are accustomed to. I truly don't think worldwide number one smash singles are necessarily a priority at this point. Obviously if it happened nobody would be complaining but I don't think they even expect that at this point with her. I don't care how good or bad the song is, she is just not going to get the same support she once did from radio...it's just not gonna happen. I'll just say the success of singles is only a small part of determining success of her eras. I think album sales and tour grosses are most important at this stage in the game.

Guest ditaluver

No. I don't agree. It was one of the first songs that we heard when someone recorded outside her house last year and it sounded very dancey. I don't think the song was necessarily originally intended for the Superbowl but then she steered it towards the event.

she did steer it that direction and I think thats going to be it for that song. I mean, i just dont see her cheerleading during her tour. imo

Over on the Digital Songs chart, fun.'s "We Are Young" (featuring Janelle Monae) makes a splash, rising from No. 22 to No. 1 with 296,000 downloads sold (up 338%). The tune was used in a stunt-filled Chevrolet Super Bowl (Feb. 5) commercial touting its 2012 Sonic.

fun.'s ascent to the top pushes Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" down a slot to No. 1, despite a sales gain. It sold 260,000 and was up by 10%.

Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" debuts at No. 3 with 195,000 (up 6,724%) in the wake of her passing. It's a debut on the chart -- rather than a re-entry -- as the Digital Songs list didn't exist in 1992 when the song was first released.

Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain" is forced backwards -- falling 2-4 -- though it increases in sales: 187,000 (up 14%). Clearly thanks to her Grammy buzz, she has two more songs in the top 10: "Someone Like You" rallies 23-9 with 128,000 (up 91%) and "Rolling in the Deep" (which she performed) zooms 39-10 (126,000; up 174%).

It's the first time a lead act has had three songs concurrently in the top 10 since the chart dated July 25, 2009, when Michael Jackson was at Nos. 2, 8 and 9 with "Man in the Mirror," "Billie Jean" and "Thriller," respectively.

LMFAO's "Sexy and I Know It" rises 9-5 with 170,000 (up 53%) while Madonna's "Give Me All Your Luvin'" (featuring Nicki Minaj & M.I.A.) rises 7-6 with 165,000 (up 44%) in its first full week of availablility. Tyga's "Rack City" slips 4-7 (139,000; up less than 1%) and David Guetta's "Turn Me On" (featuring Minaj) drops 8-9 (139,000; down 6%).

Overall album sales in this past chart week (ending Feb. 12) totaled 6.83 million units, up 17% compared to the sum last week (5.81 million) and up 6% compared to the comparable sales week of 2011 (6.43 million). Year to date album sales stand at 33.99 million, up 4% compared to the same total at this point last year (32.77 million).

Digital track sales this past week totaled 28.93 million downloads, up 10% compared to last week (26.39 million) and up 8% stacked next to the comparable week of 2011 (26.78 million). Year to date track sales are at 170.50 million, up 7% compared to the same total at this point last year (159.72 million).

Billboard.com