Seriously...after all this hoopla... GMAYL should make #1! Elites agree¿?

Candylipsgirl

That's what I've been hearing as well.

Weird.

Everyone I know, mostly who are not Madonna fans, have made it a point to tell me how great she did at the Superbowl and if that cheerleader song was new as they really enjoyed it.

I love it.

Edited by veras95

I think if more people actually liked the song, she would have had a better shot. It seems like all of this amazing exposure and promotion was wasted on a mediocre song that even hardcore fans are only supporting because it's Madonna. Most of the comments I've heard in the last few days have been "Awesome performance but that new song stinks." I will never understand what possessed them to go with this song as the lead single, especially after it leaked and the response was so divided.

That's all I've been hearing too and surprisingly from all the people who listen to the radio! I thought they would love it and my negative feelings on the song were because I'm really not into what's on the radio anymore at all! So I automatically thought that would equal a HUGE smash but ultimately even with the massive promotion, it is a mediocre song and everyone was like, "wow she was amazing at the Super Bowl, but I really couldn't stand the cheer leading bit." the songs grown on me. I listen to the video versio just cause it has some added effects lol...I'm dying to hear the remixes or edits without Nicki Minaj.

I just hope they say, "oh GMAYL was a promotional single tie-in for the Super Bowl the REAL 1rst single will be released this week" lol

I think if more people actually liked the song, she would have had a better shot. It seems like all of this amazing exposure and promotion was wasted on a mediocre song that even hardcore fans are only supporting because it's Madonna. Most of the comments I've heard in the last few days have been "Awesome performance but that new song stinks." I will never understand what possessed them to go with this song as the lead single, especially after it leaked and the response was so divided.

You're my favorite poster.

You nailed it.

Guest FrozenEyes

I just hope they say, "oh GMAYL was a promotional single tie-in for the Super Bowl the REAL 1rst single will be released this week" lol

I really have begun to wonder the timeline of knowing she would perform at the Superbowl and writing this song? From the two other clips we've heard GMAYL sounds NOTHING like them. I mean GGW and TUTR sound like they have a dance/club sound and then there's GMAYL with it's clapping, guitar, and cheerleading. And of course the video was meant to promote the Superbowl, just makes me wonder if this single was more about the Superbowl buzz to put her back in the mind of all Americans to put her in a better position for the 2nd single, which will most likely be released close to the album.

I really have begun to wonder the timeline of knowing she would perform at the Superbowl and writing this song? From the two other clips we've heard GMAYL sounds NOTHING like them. I mean GGW and TUTR sound like they have a dance/club sound and then there's GMAYL with it's clapping, guitar, and cheerleading. And of course the video was meant to promote the Superbowl, just makes me wonder if this single was more about the Superbowl buzz to put her back in the mind of all Americans to put her in a better position for the 2nd single, which will most likely be released close to the album.

I think the Superbowl deal must have happened a lot before the public knowledge and GMAYL was part of the promo and actually produced for it

Does Solveign has any other song with chearleading or similar ?

Exactly. If I remember correctly she already had give me all your Luvin back in june/July of 2011 when they recorded it outside her London home? But then again, it could have been just the verses and chorus without the chanting. Who knows but I really do think this is a strange first single. If Interscope is pushing her so well, they could easily push another single before the album is released by releasing a new video.

Only time will tell...

Guest jamesshot

And it would have been a massive success had the song been stronger. I get they wanted a "cheerleader" angle but the song should have had more of an edge to it. Flat out it just should have been better. They missed a golden once in a lifetime opportunity here.

the whole thing is just the promotion for her tour! why would she release her tour dates before her album? there must be a reason behind it. i think she needs sell-out tours rather than the #1 single.

But GMAYL does sound like a Solveig production (albeit with a little extra dash of 60s surfer rock, which does have a whiff of "Beautiful Stranger" Orbit flavor)... And it's difficult to compare what we've heard to the rest of the album yet, because really, GGW is a Benassi-produced track, and the other Solveig track seems to have existed prior to Madonna's involvement. So in a manner of speaking you can momentarily remove TUTR from the equation. (Yes, we know M puts her own stamp on things, but hearing such a short snippet, it's hard to distinguish precisely what she's brought to the table for that track.) So that just leaves comparing GMAYL (a Solveig track) to GGW (a Benassi track). For all we know, GGW is the outlier, because it may be the only Benassi track on the album. There are, after all, 6 Solveig tracks... Four of which we've yet to hear. [but you're right -- TUTR and GMAYL do sound quite different in style. ]

I agree with your final analysis, though... I keep thinking GMAYL was all about Super Bowl tie-in. Not necessarily buzz single, as it does officially launch the album. But think of it more like how "Masterpiece" was a soundtrack song for W.E., so too, GMAYL was a 'soundtrack' song for the Super Bowl this year. Both may not necessarily be representative of the larger album.

I think the Superbowl deal must have happened a lot before the public knowledge and GMAYL was part of the promo and actually produced for it

Does Solveign has any other song with chearleading or similar ?

Check out Solveig's song, "Big in Japan." The chorus/hook is "S-T-A-R -- that's what you are, 'cuz you're big in Japan. You're big in Japan."

Guest bluejean

I wonder if it was a good song if it would have done better

Of course. It's done way better than it deserves to already imo. And look, it's not as terrible as say American Life. It's catchy and has some good qualities. But its no Hung Up. And to get a #1 on the back of this promo, a song as good as that is what it would take.

The reason I thought it may have had a chance was all the hype surrounding her atm. I thought she could pull a Britney Womanizer. I mean that song terrible imo, worse than Give me a bucket.

And people also need to realize and respect that plenty of people LIKE the song.

Just like any other song, there will be people who like and dislike it. No need to keep repeating how much one dislikes it. It is doing excellent (top 10 even before the Superbowl) so I am assuming plenty of people are enjoying it.

Just like any other song, there will be people who like and dislike it. No need to keep repeating how much one dislikes it. It is doing excellent (top 10 even before the Superbowl) so I am assuming plenty of people are enjoying it.

Not to throw rain on anyone's parade but nearly every Madonna lead single gets a lot of attention and people download it - some because they like it and others for curiosity. The real proof is how the song holds up. If a Madonna single is going to flop, we usually know by the second or third week. Back when "American Life" flopped, it didn't really tank until the 3rd week in release when it dropped on the Hot Single Sales chart from #6 straight down to #30. So we will see...

I don't think GMAYL is near as horrendous as AL was, so its fate may see a softer fall if it doesn't catch on.

Not to throw rain on anyone's parade but nearly every Madonna lead single gets a lot of attention and people download it - some because they like it and others for curiosity. The real proof is how the song holds up. If a Madonna single is going to flop, we usually know by the second or third week. Back when "American Life" flopped, it didn't really tank until the 3rd week in release when it dropped on the Hot Single Sales chart from #6 straight down to #30. So we will see...

I don't think GMAYL is near as horrendous as AL was, so its fate may see a softer fall if it doesn't catch on.

Fair enough.

I would also like to point out that I was one of the many who seriously disliked the song when I heard the demo. I realize the finished product is 98% similar to the demo that leaked, but with the visuals of the video I really started liking the song and then with her performance of it at the Superbowl, seeing how happy and how much fun she was having while performing it, just really made me almost love the song.

It's amazing how much of a visual artist Madonna really is.