Madonna Super Bowl thread continued

Guest groovyguy

Celebration would be a bad idea because it's unknown and everyone would assume it's from the new album.

Would it? I mean; it's not that hard to find where the song is coming from. It could boost sales on both this songs and/or the Collection it's part of. I can see that being a plus. Though, I am not counting on Madonna featuring the full song at the Superbowl. I can see her maybe doing a mash up or performing the version of "Holiday" from her Sticky And Sweet '09 Tour (minus the Michael Jackson Tribute).

Would it? I mean; it's not that hard to find where the song is coming from. It could boost sales on both this songs and/or the Collection it's part of. I can see that being a plus. Though, I am not counting on Madonna featuring the full song at the Superbowl. I can see her maybe doing a mash up or performing the version of "Holiday" from her Sticky And Sweet '09 Tour (minus the Michael Jackson Tribute).

I hope not, it was terrible

Celebration would be a bad idea because it's unknown and everyone would assume it's from the new album.

Uhm, people can search iTunes and Amazon quite easily these days. Even though it wasn't a big hit, that doesn't mean people cannot find it.

I suspected the Celebration album could see a decent boost post-Superbowl with or with out this track being performed.

I hope not, it was terrible

Your opinion. Doesn't mean that a new incarnation of the two songs meshed together can't raise some interest.

I suspected the Celebration album could see a decent boost post-Superbowl with or with out this track being performed.

Totally agree. It's a good possibility. ;)

Your opinion. Doesn't mean that a new incarnation of the two songs meshed together can't raise some interest.

Totally agree. It's a good possibility. ;)

If it's different it could be interesting.. But the S&S version was not strong enough for Super Bowl.

She obviously likes the track too much and wants to the show the world what they were missing in 2009 (the contestants had to dance to this song for the Smirnoff Competition). Gurl coulda just promoted the damn song back in 09.

Guest groovyguy

If it's different it could be interesting.. But the S&S version was not strong enough for Super Bowl.

You mean this version?

Well, I LUV it.

Guest groovyguy

She obviously likes the track too much and wants to the show the world what they were missing in 2009 (the contests had to dance to this song for the Smirnoff Competition). Gurl coulda just promoted the damn song back in 09.

It's definitely included in the new tour.

Guest groovyguy

lol...relax folks....Celebration will be great...she will make it work

Precisely. Have people forgotten the non-hits she performed in major events?

Love Makes the World Go Round

Bye Bye Baby

Nothing Really Matters

Hey You

Hollywood

lol...relax folks....Celebration will be great...she will make it work

I agree. Performing Celebration is the smartest thing she can do. Remember that the majority of the people watching this will not know the song and assume it's new. They will look for it (if they like it) and will find out it's part of her GH. The song may get a boost plus the collection may sell (most likely to people being introduced to M for the first time). Celebration reset everything. You start with it and add the new album. That's what the new generation of fans will do.

Guest bluejean

What a load of bull.

When you type in Madonna on iTunes the first thing you see will be the Celebration album anyway.

The best thing she can do is perform some of her biggest hits that everyone will know, that even kids who are not really familiar with Madonna will think "Oh this song is familiar" or "I know this song, I didn't know she sings that." Then top it off with the new track that is released simaltaneously.

Too much of the unknown will amount to "who is this old woman and what are these songs?"

Dita333 from the AbsoluteMadonna forum is one of the Super Bowl stage crew volunteers.

This is what she posted earlier today:

Cap Spence is in charge of the Super Bowl stage crew. Orientation was this evening. He has done the last 13 years of the SB performances as well as 40 years in entertainment. Don't believe what you are hearing about the set list. She's been rehearsing with her dancers since Dec. 1st. Never ever has an act requested to rehearse after the Thursday before the SB but Madonna is. She will soon be rehearsing in New Jersey with a mock up of the stage. Stage will be in Indy on 16th. Our first stage crew rehearsal is a week later. I won't be leaking any set or music information as she wants it to be a surprise. I'm so honored to be a part of this experience!
Edited by Msig

Precisely. Have people forgotten the non-hits she performed in major events?

Love Makes the World Go Round

Bye Bye Baby

Nothing Really Matters

Hey You

Hollywood

But it really doesn't compare, the songs you listed were used to promote future songs to be released... unlike Celebration that already flopped...

Guest groovyguy

But it really doesn't compare, the songs you listed were used to promote future songs to be released... unlike Celebration that already flopped...

Okay if you consider this a 'flop':

#1 - Italy, Sweden

#2 - European Hot 100 Singles, France

#3 - UK

#4 - Switzerland

#5 - Canada, Germany, Japan

Apart from Australia (#40), US(#71), it went Top 10 in most countries in the world. It also gave M her 40th #1 on US Dance Club Chart. It became her fifty-fifth entry on the Hot 100.

Guest groovyguy

Bye Bye Baby was released only in Australia, New Zealand, Germany and Japan. Though it was not released in US, she performed "Bye Bye Baby" live at the US MTV Video Music Awards in September 1993. Hollywood was released on July 14, 2003 and performed on 2003 MTV Video Music Awards on August 27, 2003. In any case, the point I'm trying to make is she is one hell of a performer and she can make any song - hit or "non hit" - to work for any major event. That's my opinion. Others may disagree.

While this is true (that she can make one hell of a performance of any album track and she usually does), I think Bye Bye Baby was chose because it had one of the best performances on the GS and Hollywood as it was her 'current' single at the time. There's not really any reason to choose Celebration is there (apart from it being a decent song and somewhat of a callback to Holiday I suppose).

Okay if you consider this a 'flop':

#1 - Italy, Sweden

#2 - European Hot 100 Singles, France

#3 - UK

#4 - Switzerland

#5 - Canada, Germany, Japan

Apart from Australia (#40), US(#71), it went Top 10 in most countries in the world. It also gave M her 40th #1 on US Dance Club Chart. It became her fifty-fifth entry on the Hot 100.

Indianapolis is the capital of Indiana, one of those 50 states that make up the U.S. Celebration peaking at #5 in Japan is totally awesome but you can go ahead and add this:

#71 - United States

Guest groovyguy

While this is true (that she can make one hell of a performance of any album track and she usually does), I think Bye Bye Baby was chose because it had one of the best performances on the GS and Hollywood as it was her 'current' single at the time. There's not really any reason to choose Celebration is there (apart from it being a decent song and somewhat of a callback to Holiday I suppose).

Bye Bye Baby was performed at the MTV Awards before the GS started. Hollywood was already released and flopped in US when she performed the song at The MTV. The thing is people are saying she must perform her biggest hits at the Super Bowl. While that would be great, I was only pointing out that from her history, she had performed non-hits at major events and made them work. She could have performed her then biggest hits, Like a Virgin and Material Girl, at Live Aid 85, but instead she did Holiday (US #16), Into the Groove (a US B-side), and Love Makes the World Go Round. For most other singers, the songs matter. But to me, the songs somehow do not matter as much when it comes to Madonna. It's all about her stage presence, her kick-ass performance. While some have problems with the idea of her performing Celebration because it's a "flop" single, I don't. And it's certainly not the "flop" that some claim it is. While I agree it's not the best Madonna song nor is it one of her biggest hits, I love the song and I have confidence she'd give a kick-ass live performance of the song. But like I said, that's just my opinion.

Guest groovyguy

Indianapolis is the capital of Indiana, one of those 50 states that make up the U.S. Celebration peaking at #5 in Japan is totally awesome but you can go ahead and add this:

#71 - United States

Sweetie, I did in my original post.

And at Live Aid 85 in US, she performed Holiday (#16), Into the Groove (B-side), Love Makes the World Go Round (album track).