Songs she almost performed

material_boy

More about I Want You for DWT:

MT: Did you happen to work on songs that were never used in the final set list? It has happened in other tours...

AM: Yes, actually the was one song that they wanted me to choreograph and that didn't make the final show.

It was "I Want You".

Madonna was supposed to wear this beautiful dress and she was supposed to be on a stage that moved over the audience and they took the idea out because it was going to cost too much money and she was going to loose a big part of the audience so they cut that out.

It was going to be a really beautiful, statuesque number, with limited amount of movement but very grand, beautiful movement with a wind machine blowing.

It was really a great concept.

http://www.madonnatribe.com/idol/magno.htm

I wonder in which part would they have included this song? Maybe after Lo que siente la mujer? Because it doesn't fit after ROL, nor after SFH. Maybe to repleace Gone? But Gone is so beautiful!

Girlie Show

Live to Tell

True Blue (Interlude)

Bad Girl? <- I just don't see why she wouldn't have at least rehearsed it

Drowned World Tour

I Want You (replaced by Lo Que Siente La Mujer)

Amazing (replaced by Beautiful Stranger OR The Funny Song...I read about both)

Re-Invention Tour

Nothing Really Matters was supposed to be part of the first section but was dropped, because Madonna felt that three solo performances in a row would be "overkill".

MDNA Tour

Some Girls (replaced by Vogue)

Physical Attraction (it was reportedly used as an outro at the end of Vogue, but since Madonna explicitly mentioned it, it can be assumed that a full version was considered (((maybe instead of Candy Shop???))))

Falling Free (replaced by Masterpiece and was later considered to replace Like a Virgin, which Madonna wasn't satisfied with)

Edited by JimmyJimmy

Hang on a second... Devil is from Hard Candy which is 4 years prior, when was this song written?

Devil was written for the Hello Suckers musical, was it not? That was just before RIT or AL I think?

Correct:

"Miss You", "If You Go Away", "How High", "Curtain", "The Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" and "Is this Love (Bon D'Accord)" – among a number of songs written for a planned musical Hello Suckers, a 20s-style musical loosely based on the life of Texas Guinan.[140] Songs were written with a number of co-writers including Patrick Leonard and Mirwais Ahmadzai. Lyrics from "How High" were later reworked into a song for Confessions on a Dance Floor. Some lyrics from "Is This Love" were later re-used on the song "Voices" on the album Hard Candy. "The Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" was planned to be included on The Re-Invention Tour, but was later reworked with Madonna's brother-in-law Joe Henry. Ultimately, the song did not surface until the album Hard Candy following further development with Timbaland, Justin Timberlake and Nate Hills. "Is this Love (Bon D'Accord)" has since been leaked to the internet. "If You Go Away" is based on the classic "Ne me quitte pas" by Jaques Brel. The English version has been covered by a wide range of artists, including Marlene Dietrich, Shirley Bassey and Tom Jones. Madonna's version leaked onto the internet on September 2, 2010. "Miss You" was also planned for the musical and has more of an acoustic folk feel to it and leaked onto the internet on September 3, 2010,[141] some lyrics were later re-used on the song "Like It or Not" from the album Confessions on a Dance Floor.

I had previously seen on UltimateMadonna that "Secret" was rehearsed for CT. Also I had read on a Brazil Fansite that the slow jazzy "Deeper & Deeper" replaced a slow jazzy "Fever" on RIT. Similarly "Take a Bow", after it was dropped from the setlist, was scheduled to be the interlude performed halfway through "Mother and Father" (replaced by "Intervention"). Also on RIT, "Nothing Fails" in favor of "Easy Ride", "Love Profusion" and "XStatic Process" (Thank God)

Edited by LHakaLH

Wow! I forgot that I'd made this thread ages ago.

I wonder in which part would they have included this song? Maybe after Lo que siente la mujer? Because it doesn't fit after ROL, nor after SFH. Maybe to repleace Gone? But Gone is so beautiful!

Yeah, I'd guess "Gone" -- but I can't imagine the show without "Gone" in it.

Girlie Show

Live to Tell

True Blue (Interlude)

Bad Girl? <- I just don't see why she wouldn't have at least rehearsed it

Yow! I'd never heard this before. Easy to see "Live to Tell" in the show (in place of "In This Life"), but "True Blue?" Doesn't seem to fit at all.

Perez Hilton leaked a Sticky and Sweet setlist that was fairly accurate and included "Holiday," "Everybody," "Dress You Up" and "Who's that Girl." That the show ended up not too different from what's shown here -- and that three of the four songs here that she didn't perform in 2008 made it into the 2009 show -- suggest this might have been real.

I dont see it as a very different show , we can easily identify the same sections

But I doubt there would have been an electric chair for this show. And it would have been interesting to see her wear the kilt while performing Die Another, but in my mind, there might have been another outfit for that song.

Yeah, I'd guess "Gone" -- but I can't imagine the show without "Gone" in it.

No, it was actually going to open the Latin section, but was replaced with Lo que Siente La Mujer. The choreographeur said so in the interview.

Yow! I'd never heard this before. Easy to see "Live to Tell" in the show (in place of "In This Life"), but "True Blue?" Doesn't seem to fit at all.

20110423-news-madonna-girlie-show-setlis

The original setlist would've been:

1. Erotica

2. Fever

3. Vogue

4. Rain

5. True Blue (Dance Interlude) -> they decided to use an extended outro for Rain instead.

6. Express Yourself

7. Deeper and Deeper

8. Why's It So Hard

9. In This Life

(I think Thief of Hearts and Bad Girl would've fit in place of WISH and ITL and although we'll probably never know if they were rehearsed or not I can totally see them fitting in that section)

10. The Beast Within (Interlude)

11. Like a Virgin

12. Bye Bye Baby

13. Live to Tell (I can see why this didn't happen, because honestly...it really doesn't fit in there but who knows what she had in mind for this performance.)

14. La Isla Bonita

15. Holiday

It doesn't mention Justify My Love and Everybody as encores but I think it's safe to assume that they were in as well.