Madonna to perform at Super Bowl! now official!

laroux22

I know what you are saying, but that doesn't mean we as fans have to care about the movie or blindly accept music that is sub par.

I am interested to see this movie, but nowhere near as much as an album or a tour. I want the album to be good, I think that's normal if you're a fan of a music artist.

I personally rarely watch movies at all, they bore me. I appreciate the artistic merit and time and effort put into them and I'm not going to trash the movie without even seeing it. Just because I'm a fan of her music doesn't mean I owe her any respect whatsoever and should worship every project she is involved with just because its hers. If she wants to do movies and then slap together half arsed music I'd rather she just sticks to movies really.

I can continue to enjoy the years of great music she's already done.

:clap:

It's their opinion and they are paid to give their opinion. Yes, it would hurt to be the creator of such a huge piece of work and have it torn to shreds, but its an inevitable part of the business. If anything she will move on from this project and create an even better film.

Just because we are fans we don't need to worry about Madonna's feelings now do we?

I don't really agree on this one. The movie is getting trashed because it's from MADONNA. Critics LOVE trashing her movies. The majority of them had their opinion made before even seeing the movie and you know it.

A better film? It wouldn't change ANYTHING. ANY movie with Madonna as director will be trashed. Sad but true.

Guest groovyguy

I don't really agree on this one. The movie is getting trashed because it's from MADONNA. Critics LOVE trashing her movies. The majority of them had their opinion made before even seeing the movie and you know it.

A better film? It wouldn't change ANYTHING. ANY movie with Madonna as director will be trashed. Sad but true.

This.

ps.. acko.. weet je soms of w.e nog steeds bij ons uitkomt de 21ste december of dat het later uitkomt? want ik zie niets staan op de kalenders van kinepolis etc..

Nee :( volgens imdb is het nu eind maart :(

RE Gutten, of course I'm excited about her performing...I'm actually looking forward 2 a Sticky & Sweet Vogue performance.

But the Superbowl in itself doesn't mean anything 2 me...of course if I grew up in the States it probably would, since it's sucha huge event there.

I have to agree. No one will take her seriously in the movies. Though, it won't stop her from making more films if she's interested. She could have easily directed a film that may have been more commercially appealing, but she knew that she had to pick a subject that probably would gain more notoriety, respect and possibly cause a bit of a controversy. W.E. is that attempt. Maybe in the New Year, when the film is actually released to the public, and she is riding high from the publicity from the Super Bowl, some of it will turn around in her favor. I'm not going to bet on it though. Whatever happens, she'll direct again. And I think in hindsight, people will look back and realize she did direct a pretty decent film with W.E.

This is so nothing new for Madonna. Nearly EVERY album has had SOMETHING either near it's release or the middle of it's run that "distracts" her from fully focusing. Dating back to when she was promoting DSS in favor of filming proper videos for Angel, Into The Groove and Dress You Up....to letting BOE and SEX TOTALLY overshadow her music from Erotica.....to choosing to shoot the Lifetime film The Next Best Thing in favor of touring which she hadn't done in 7 years.....to this most recent example.

The difference is now people are scrutinize EVERYTHING so much instead of just going with it. It's always what she SHOULD be doing, never mind that she's been doing what SHE wants to do for 30 years and being that she's the most successful FEMALE RECORDING ARTIST in history, I'd say that has worked out for her pretty well! :)

This is so nothing new for Madonna. Nearly EVERY album has had SOMETHING either near it's release or the middle of it's run that "distracts" her from fully focusing. Dating back to when she was promoting DSS in favor of filming proper videos for Angel, Into The Groove and Dress You Up....to letting BOE and SEX TOTALLY overshadow her music from Erotica.....to choosing to shoot the Lifetime film The Next Best Thing in favor of touring which she hadn't done in 7 years.....to this most recent example.

The difference is now people are scrutinize EVERYTHING so much instead of just going with it. It's always what she SHOULD be doing, never mind that she's been doing what SHE wants to do for 30 years and being that she's the most successful FEMALE RECORDING ARTIST in history, I'd say that has worked out for her pretty well! :)

:clap:

Not that I disagree with anything you've posted, but I'm not sure we can really compare what went down with the videos for Angel, Into The Groove and Dress You Up when there was so much more into play.

For instance, "Angel" came at the heart of her touring. At that point, she was over exposed and her record company knew that. "Crazy for You", "Material Girl" and "Like a Virgin" was still getting heavy rotation on radio and MTV. Not only that, some of her first album songs were getting a good run as well. "Angel" was purposely released as a "radio" single. And "Into The Groove" was a "Madonna movie" and so it only made sense to let that video be a collage of clips. In the end, her record company went with pushing "Into The Groove" over "Angel" even though it was pretty much considered a double A side single.

"Dress You Up" was released purposely with the VIRGIN tour footage to help sell the Concert video that fall.

She was definitely a busy girl that year. It was the year of Madonna. As soon as she was done with the tour, she was onto do Live Aid, getting married and starting on a another film... "Shanghai Surprise".

It's suppose to be all about the music M. Making music is like a side job for her now :(

Yes. Admitting that what you wrote corresponds to facts, I'd say it's better than not having a job at all

After HC she needed a break from her music career anyway .... since ROL came out in 1998 till 2008 HC she had an album

released exactly every 2 years and a half and had four worldwide tours in the span of 7 years (one of the 4 was also

an extended tour) which is a gruelling routine for someone with a family and who is already in their 40s going on 50

So in pure Madonna style she fits her interest at trying her hand in directing into her break from music

And in the end, on a mere publicity level, it works perfectly .... as it's huge cross promotion considering Masterpiece

for instance and all the rest

Guest bluejean

I still don't agree. Like most people I haven't seen W.E. so I can't judge the film itself, but from reviews the feeling I get is that although put together brilliantly the script writing lets it down.

Yes certain critics love to trash her. But the fact is many haven't in this case, they have given it a chance and it has received some good subjective reviews. If Madonna made a film that was undeniably brilliant and the major critics were praising it then everyone else would follow. That's just not the case with this project, i'd say it's getting mixed reviews for a reason.

I don't really see that. As far as I recall in 1999 when she ditched touring in favour of doing a movie alot of people complained. Actually, I recall talk of fans complaining about the set list of The Girlie Show in 1993 not having enough hits. Even moreso with Drowned World since the internet existed then. I don't know when the complaining began but it's all to do with expectation. The expectation of fans leads to disappointment. I suppose hearing endless negativity can become tiring, but for me, the people constantly telling people off for expressing their opinions on a discussion forum is equally as tiring. The fact is, apart from afew trouble makers most people with negative opinions on the new single probably have liked the majority of music she's done and are not just being overly critical. Most people here want her to do well, even when it comes to the movie. But no, I don't agree that people used to just "go with it." The majority of her musical output has been good so that's only reason people have gone with it. Hard Candy turned alot of people off (not me personally) and so they are hoping for a change. This song isn't the change they wanted.

bluejean it all goes back to AL for me. The rejection of it is the root cause for her to stay keeping it as light and youth pandering as possible.

I agree it was because her fans didn't understand how brilliant American Life is (was), she's just force feeding us this mindless crap ever since. ( I do love Confessions so that formula worked in itself)

It's suppose to be all about the music M. Making music is like a side job for her now :(

:lmao: In the last decade she's toured and released more new music than she did in any other previous decade. The music may not been hit after hit like in previous decades, but it's safe to say it's been "all about the music".

I'm just gonna enjoy both the Superbowl and W.E. I am grateful that she's still very much in the game. :horn:

Edited by Pink Elephants

Guest bluejean

bluejean it all goes back to AL for me. The rejection of it is the root cause for her to stay keeping it as light and youth pandering as possible.

I don't have that opinion. American Life was her making the music Guy thought she should make, and Confessions was her going back to being her pop slut self. Most of the lyrics on Confessions are not light at all if you look beneath the surface.

Hard Candy was her trying to get a US hit, clearly. Gimme All Your Luvin, well I have NO idea what that is. I'll decide that when I hear the album.

Guest groovyguy

...I'm actually looking forward 2 a Sticky & Sweet Vogue performance.

LUV that performance and hope she does but she'll probably do something different which will also be a hint of the new tour.

Guest bluejean

LUV that performance and hope she does but she'll probably do something different which will also be a hint of the new tour.

Hopefully.

Imagine if Vogue Sticky version becomes like Ray Of Light and La Isla Bonita and gets recycled but as a medley with 4 Minutes for the Superbowl AND the new tour!

I don't have that opinion. American Life was her making the music Guy thought she should make, and Confessions was her going back to being her pop slut self. Most of the lyrics on Confessions are not light at all if you look beneath the surface.

Hard Candy was her trying to get a US hit, clearly. Gimme All Your Luvin, well I have NO idea what that is. I'll decide that when I hear the album.

:lol:

I agree it was because her fans didn't understand how brilliant American Life is (was), she's just force feeding us this mindless crap ever since. ( I do love Confessions so that formula worked in itself)

I think she's waiting for them to get it.

Guest bluejean

I think she's forgotten she ever recorded it actually :lol:

The thing with Madonna is that she always wants a hit. She makes risky moves when she's at the top of her game because she knows she's in position to take a risk. For eg Erotica following Vogue or American Life following Music.

As soon as something doesn't do well she goes the extreme safe route (Bedtime Stories, Reinvention/Confessions.)

Guest groovyguy

She wrote about the waiting, didn't she?

Time goes by so slowly

Time goes by so slowly

Time goes by so slowly

Time goes by so slowly

Time goes by so slowly

Time goes by so slowly