Madonna to perform at Super Bowl! now official!

laroux22

WHY the fuck do people think Madonna should HANG IT UP?!?!

my god...since when did everyone decide when artists have to stop creating?!?

its vile

i must say though, the comments on that site arent that bad. I was scared to even read them

I know. I don't even pay attention to comments anymore... Even if they are good or bad. Just wanted to vote there.

To be honest i can't even name ONE Kiss song. I can remember Queen's music and Metallica but Kiss? Nada.

I was made for lovin you babeh....you were made for lovin me....I can't get enough of you babeh can you get enough of me... :lol:

I guess I could've just posted the video but that is the hook to one of their most well known hits here in the States. That song was their attempt at "disco" which if I'm not mistaken pissed off many of their fans at the time. Although, not surprisingly that song remains their biggest hit in the US (I think). I know Rock and Roll All Nite has probably stood the test of time better and become more of a classic than I Was Made For Lovin You but at the time of release IWMFLY was the bigger hit I do believe.

I love how consistently since 1993 I've been reading how Madonna is a washed up has been. It's funny cuz in the 90's they would say "oh her time was the 80's. She's done now". Now that we are 2 decades from the 90's it's "she was good in the 80's and 90's...but NOW...". Technically, she has sold more albums and had more hits as a "has been" (1993-present) than she did in her "glory days". Haters are gonna hate regardless. Even during her "renaissance" in the late 90's-early 00's she had detractors....less vocal than prior to that and less vocal than now but they were still there saying how she's bandwagon jumping, she hadn't done anything relevant since Vogue etc etc.

The moment she's NOT called a washed up old whore will be the moment I'm concerned she's done. :lol:

I actually don't mind KISS. I think they would probably make good half time performers themselves but Gene needs to face the facts that half of their success has nothing to do with their music and everything to do with their image.....sound familiar??

When I saw the above video I wondered if Gaga videos will be looked upon as hilarious relics like this is *bites lip*

It's funny you say that because when I saw her live I thought how reminiscent her show was of old school 70's shows from artists like Alice Cooper, KISS and even a little Bowie. That's not a bad thing at all....actually it's a compliment. I think anytime an artist is a little OTT it can look kind of funny, cheesy and perhaps a bit of it's time years later. Look at Cyndi Lauper, she and her kooky personality and fashion sense were cool and fresh at the time, now it looks kind of ridiculous. Even Boy George/Culture Club had teen girls fawning over him, all the while trying to dress like him back in the day. Nowadays, the idea of teen girls fawning all over and imitating someone who basically looks like a drag queen seems ridiculous.

WHY the fuck do people think Madonna should HANG IT UP?!?!

I honestly think it is because Hard Candy left such a bad taste in everyone's mouth. You are only as good as your last album, her next release has to be amazing.

She has no choice.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

The people saying Madonna mimes are just making assumptions, since she clearly doesn't.......on Blond Ambition, it was only afew songs that she mimed

:blink::blink:

I honestly think it is because Hard Candy left such a bad taste in everyone's mouth. You are only as good as your last album, her next release has to be amazing.

She has no choice.

Nah, "4 Minutes" is still quite a popular song among the younger crowd. She's just been around a long time and people are probably fatigued by her. Not me though.

Nah, "4 Minutes" is still quite a popular song among the younger crowd. She's just been around a long time and people are probably fatigued by her. Not me though.

How can anyone be tired of MADONNA? :dramatic: you never know what she will do next, it's always a fun ride!

anyone planning to go to the Superbowl just to see the performance??

No

I'm watching the halftime only on TV.

Besides straight guys have a nerve to diss M's big halftime show. For them SB half-time is for pissing the beer out of their system and pooping out their chicken wings :sour:

Guest groovyguy

http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2011/12/10/its-not-about-cirque-its-about-madonna/

It’s Not About “Cirque”, It’s About Madonna…

When the news broke this week that Madonna had chosen Cirque du Soleil and another Montreal company, Moment Factory to help her create a stunning Super Bowl halftime act, it grabbed headlines around the world.

Jacques Méthé is the executive producer and general manager of special events and images at Cirque du Soleil, a lesser known department that Madonna has just elevated into the spotlight. Madonna’s team initiated the deal although the fact that Jamie King, who just directed the Cirque’s Michael Jackson Immortal World Tour, is also involved makes it seem like it’s all in the family.

Moment Factory was brought board by the Cirque to handle the projections and multimedia side of the number. The Cirque team has been working with Madonna for about three weeks now.

Méthé confessed to The Montreal Gazette…

“We delivered a pre-game Super Bowl number for them in Miami several years ago.

We do anywhere between 30 and 60 events every year, the size of which differ greatly.

Our role in this is to contribute ideas and components to the scenario.

It is our imagination that is solicited here.

It’s all about Madonna.

We leave it to her to decide if and when she wants to reveal anything. This is a Madonna event that we’re contributing to. It’s not about Cirque, it’s about Madonna. The part we’re playing there is really in the creative content and the follow-up, until delivery.

She knows what she wants.

*That’s how big stars are.”

The “2012 Super Bowl” will be aired on NBC on Feb. 5th, 2012.

source: thegazette

Guest groovyguy

http://www.albertleatribune.com/2011/12/10/madonna%E2%80%99s-songs-are-perfect-for-football/

Madonna’s songs are perfect for football

Madonna and controversy, two great tastes that taste great together. Extreme reaction has followed Madonna since she stepped onto the dance floor at “American Bandstand” in 1984 and told Dick Clark she wanted to rule the world. Some loathe her, some love her, but few land in between.

No sooner was it announced this week that Madonna would perform at the halftime show for Super Bowl XLVI than the predictable backlash began. The Internet, home of the hostile response, blew up with charges that Madonna was too old for the gig and said she was a has-been.

Maybe she is too old. She’s 53 after all, and the NFL is known for booking names that are fresh and new. Look at the youthful roster of halftime acts from 2005-2010: Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen and The Who. What do you get when you add them all together? A pack of the greatest rock legends of all time and a full table at Denny’s at 5 o’clock on a Saturday afternoon.

I admit Madonna is a has-been. She has been famous longer than most marriages last. She has been selling out giant arenas throughout the world for nearly 30 years, and for decades she has been able to stay relevant in a culture with an attention span of about 10 minutes. She has been able to do that and a lot more.

Many people don’t realize that Madonna’s dedicated a substantial portion of her body of work to football, making her the most logical choice for the Super Bowl halftime show. I, for one, am surprised that she wasn’t snapped up for the job long before this.

Early in her career she wrote the song “Borderline,” originally titled “Encroachment, 5 Yards”, about those special players who love the game so much they can’t help jumping off sides every other play.

She showed she understood their struggle with the lyrics, “Something in your eyes is makin’ such a fool of me … Borderline feels like I’m going to lose my mind … Keep on pushing me baby/Don’t you know you drive me crazy?”

In “4 Minutes” Madonna shined a light on the importance of good clock management. She sang, “I’m outta time and all I got is four minutes … I want somebody to speed it up for me then take it down slow … Tick tock tick tock tick tock.” Rumor has it Rex Ryan made Mark Sanchez put that one on his iPod.

No song ever captured the wonder of a successful Hail Mary pass the way “Like a Prayer” did. Every quarterback who ever closed his eyes and hurled the ball toward the end zone with one second on the clock and a wish on his lips recognized the power in the lyrics, “Just like a muse to me, you are a mystery/Just like a dream, you are not what you seem/Just like a prayer …” Ask Tommy Kramer. He’ll tell you.

Perhaps the most poignant ode to football Madonna ever recorded was “Take a Bow” about the life of the lonely kicker. I can’t listen to “Take a bow the night is over … You deserve an award for the role that you played … you’re one lonely star” without tearing up a little.

There are so many others, “Express Yourself” about the injustice of excessive celebration penalties, “Material Girl” which was resurrected earlier this year during the NFL lockout, and “Who’s That Girl?” a scathing commentary on last year’s Brett Farvre scandal.

Finally, who could forget Madonna’s take on the partnership between a quarterback and his star receiver, “Causing a Commotion”? What describes this unique relationship better than, “I’ve got the moves baby, you got the motion/If we got together we’d be causing a commotion”?

Yes, Madonna has Charles Atlas arms and, yes, she speaks with an accent that sounds like she was born on a ship headed to nowhere, but she’s strong. She doesn’t let her detractors define her. When she’s knocked down she always gets back up, and when she succeeds she acts like she’s been there before.

That reminds me a lot of a game I know. Yeah, it’s football. The NFL finally got it right. They chose someone who never says die and who is as tough as every player on the field.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111208/LOCAL/112080333/Erika-D-Smith-Gay-icon-Madonna-football-do-mix

Gay icon Madonna and football do mix

'Why bring her out now? She's 50 freakin yrs old, and whats she gonna sing? Like a virgin???"

"Cugar. (sic) Not so sure about it. I guess Indianapolis was the only gig she could get. Tough times."

The reaction to the news that Madonna will indeed perform at the Super Bowl has, in many cases, been downright rude -- not to mention grammatically incorrect.

My favorite so far from Facebook?

"Don't think she fits Indiana . . . regardless of what the NFL thinks."

I love this because it's simply not true. One large and growing local demographic is very excited that Madonna is coming to Indianapolis: the gay community. And that it will be for the Super Bowl is even better.

"I think it's wonderful," said Jeff Roberts, a bartender at English Ivy's, a gay- oriented restaurant on the Old Northside.

Several customers have come in this week talking about the halftime show, he says. Madonna is, after all, a gay icon. She spent a large part of her career flirting with the community by being bold and brash and unequivocally sending the message through her music, concerts and videos that it is OK to be gay.

"She has supported our case for years upon years upon years," said Daniel Parker, a customer at Ivy's. "I'm not a huge fan, but she's always been a good artist. I'm sure she'll put on one hell of a show."

But it's not just about the halftime show for the gay community. It's also about the football game itself.

Now, I know what you may be thinking. But it's time to ditch the long-standing stereotype that gay people, especially men, don't like sports.

"That is a misnomer in today's world," said Wesley Combs, president of Witeck-Combs Communications, a Washington, D.C., marketing firm that focuses on gay and lesbian consumers.

The truth is Indianapolis is home to a gay community that's very much into sports, just like most people who live here.

Walk into a gay bar on a Sunday, and you'll see football playing on flat-screen TVs and customers in jerseys, downing beer and yelling at referees, just as you would if you walked into a Chammps or a Buffalo Wild Wings.

Yet the decision to have Madonna perform at halftime during the Super Bowl is in some ways an opportunity for the NFL to dispel long-standing stereotypes about gay people and sports. (To be fair, though, the NFL did recently add language to its collective bargaining agreement with players that bans discrimination based on sexual orientation in addition to race, religion and some other categories.)

The halftime show also is an opportunity to capitalize on an audience segment with a huge amount of buying power nationwide -- $769 billion, to be exact, according to research by Witeck-Combs/Packaged Facts.

Let's remember that ultimately, the NFL is a business and the Super Bowl, well, it's about marketing, both for advertisers to buy TV slots during the game and for the host city.

The more eyes, gay or straight, that see our city on TV, the more we stand to gain in convention business and tourism dollars in the long run.

"For a lot of reasons," Combs said, "I think a lot of gay eyes will be on the game this year."

Will Madonna be the reason for it all? Of course not. Her show will certainly get attention and, personally, I can't wait. But as Parker put it, "She's a gay icon, but a washed-up gay icon."

Everybody's a critic.

Yes- Madonna's certainly sung live for the bulk majority of her career. When she had throat troubles for a time on tour in 1990, she may have relied more on backing tracks/album vocals than live, but for that tour, her live voice of course dominated the proceedings. Each tour had one to three tracks that her live voice was not the dominant factor, and that's a small percentage of a whole show. So, it is odd that anyone would equate her with miming, when it's far more fitting for other acts.

Now, that does not include shows in which the majority of acts lip-synch and operate as such(i.e. American Bandstand, Top of the Pops, those kinds of things).

People need to stop with calling her a "gay icon" - she's an ICON period. She's not fucking Ru Paul or Kylie.

Also the whole things smacks of homophobia than an artist that codes as ~gay~ isn't good enough for the great and pure straight fanbase of the Superbowl (even though a lot of gay men LIKE SPORT anyway).

People need to stop with calling her a "gay icon" - she's an ICON period. She's not fucking Ru Paul or Kylie.

Also the whole things smacks of homophobia than an artist that codes as ~gay~ isn't good enough for the great and pure straight fanbase of the Superbowl (even though a lot of gay men LIKE SPORT anyway).

for obvious reasons..

I just find it funny that she hasn't even hit the stage yet and there is controversy just about her anticipated appearance. I wouldn't have paid attention, but have any other recent Super Bowl acts had this kind of commentary about their performance before it even happened? Questioning their validity? etc. Janet? BEP??

I just know she is gonna HAVE TO BRING IT with this performance. This is going to have to be one of the best of her career. Normally, she can skate by with a so-so performance on Grammy's etc (see NRM '99) but that is just not an option this time. I'm guessing this will be the biggest audience she has ever played in front of (including live and TV viewers of course) and more people than ever want to see her fail with this and it's going to be great when she kicks the dirt in all their faces....per usual. :sassy:

No artist could ask for a better platform to launch a new album and era after what has pretty much been a 4 year absence. She better not fuck it up!! :americanlife:

These articles are sexist, ageist and even slightly homophobic. Cheers to that, US of A. :manson:

Yeah right! The saddest part is most people that read these articles won't even realize the subtle sexist, ageist and homophobic undertones.

God bless the USA indeed. :manson: