Madonna to perform at Super Bowl! now official!

laroux22

Madonna to perform at Super Bowl halftime show?

Here's a spicy little football nugget for your Monday: Madonna will reportedly perform at halftime of Super Bowl XLVI at Lucas Oil Stadium.

That's according to our friend Andrew Sharp at SBNation, who dropped the bombshell about the material girl this morning. Perhaps more surprising than the fact that Madonna is performing is the fact that Madonna hasn't performed at the Super Bowl before.

Then again, there's been a move away from "risky" halftime acts ever since the, ahem, incident with Janet Jackson in 2004. For the past few years, in fact, the acts for halftime of the Super Bowl tended to lean more towards classic rock-type acts, like the Rolling Stones, The Who, Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, and Prince.

Last year, the Black Eyed Peas performed, but failed to bridge the gap between "corporate sponsors" and "younger people who watch the game" with a performance that was primarily panned.

Madonna, who's filed down her edginess since her days of causing parents to cringe at cassette purchases, might have a pretty good shot at doing that, given her widespread popularity and appeal to multiple generations of Super Bowl viewers. (Although, honestly, that wouldn't have been who I expected Jim Irsay to pick, given the nature of his tweets.)

The NFL declined to comment on Sharp's story, so there's no official confirmation yet, so for now we'll just remain ... borderline excited.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/32473285

Exclusive: Madonna To Perform At Super Bowl XLVI Halftime Show, Sources Tell SBNation.com

By Andrew Sharp - Editor

Follow @sbnation on Twitter, and Like SBNation.com on Facebook.

Oct 3, 2011 - Madonna will perform during the Super Bowl XLVI halftime show at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on February 5, sources close to the event told SBNation.com on Monday. A spokesperson for the NFL declined to comment.

As you'd expect for an artist with her mass appeal, this isn't the first time Madonna's been approached about performing at the Super Bowl. In 1998, it was heavily rumored that Madonna would perform at Super Bowl XXXIII in Miami, only to have the plans fall apart before a deal could be reached. Likewise, Madonna was reportedly to headline the halftime show for Super Bowl XXXV, two years later, but backed out at the last minute.

None of which is to say that she's a stranger to the Super Bowl spotlight. As recently as 2008, Madonna's music was used in a commercial for SunSilk hair products, for which the singer was paid $10 million, according to Rolling Stone. So where does Madonna fit in the lineage of Super Bowl halftime performers?

Let's take a look at the past 10 years.

2002 - U2

2003 - Shania Twain, No Doubt, Sting

2004 - Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake

2005 - Paul McCartney

2006 - The Rolling Stones

2007 - Prince

2008 - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

2009 - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

2010 - The Who

2011 - The Black Eyed Peas, Usher, and Slash

Now we can add Madonna to that list. For the moment, the biggest question is how much freedom she gets from the NFL. Madonna of the '80s and '90s would've been a pretty interesting experiment at the Super Bowl, as no female artist this side of Janet Jackson would've been more likely to push the envelope as far as costumes, themes, and stageplay is concerned.

After the debacle with Janet Jackson in 2004, old school Madonna would've been far too risky for the NFL. But today's Madonna is a mom more famous for charity than lack of chastity, and a natural fit for the NFL's biggest stage, especially considering the direction the NFL's taken in the years since 2004's controversy.

She may not match Prince, but she's better than Paul McCartney, and certainly an upgrade over 2011's apocalyptic amalgam of the Black Eyed Peas, a half-dead Slash, and Usher. So, if we can accept that the NFL's not going to give us any relevant new music (like, say, Jay-Z and Kanye West), then fans could certainly do worse than Madonna, right?

The Super Bowl and its halftime show will be televised live on NBC on February 5th, 2012. Stay tuned for further comments from Madonna and/or the NFL as the news emerges.

http://www.twackle.com/sitebar?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sbnation.com%2Fnfl%2F2011%2F10%2F3%2F2465781%2Fmadonna-super-bowl-46-halftime-show

Guest Not4Pussies

3rd time is the charm. I say that cuz she was rumored to perform in 2000, 2001. If its true, does it mean premiere of new single? I was expecting a Grammy performance instead.

GREAT NEWS! Madonna's gonna get up there and show everybody how a SuperBowl show is supposed to be! I wonder if she will use this opportunity to debut her new single?? Talk about MAJOR exposure!

Boy, the Madonna performing at Superbowl rumor each year just never dies does it? I've always been skeptical as to whether she would actually work as a performer for that event but what a way to bring in the new era with a bang. If she pulls this off with a new single plus a classic it could be epic!! I hope it's true this time!

if this is true im gonna be so damn excited. if she performs in superbowl half time and grammy awards, she's gonna blast her way to no.1 and bring back her long lost us airplay.

Guest bluejean

Sounds like a great idea for promotion and I really hope its true. This gets way more viewers than the Grammys surely?

And there's no way she'd pull a stunt like Janet. I mean, noone would after the amount of hoopla that caused. If she can do a premiere performance of a GREAT new single along side afew of her biggest classics this performance will be huge exposure for the new song/album.

Please let this rumor be true!! I have been saying for months that she needs to step up her game when it comes to promotion.This is her golden opportunity.Perform the new single at the SuperBowl,then release it to iTunes the very next day.She will have a guaranteed hit.

Guest Not4Pussies

If she does perform at SB she wont perform at Grammys. the grammy people have a rule that their performers cant perform anywhere else within a month of the grammy ceremony. I hope its true and im excited. The only downer is that usually halftime showd are rather quick and rushed. If she performs Holiday a la Girlie Show would be fantastic.

But be smart M, premiere the new single!!

Guest Madonna Bowie Prince

I think she'll do great, if it's true. IMO the perfect way to debut the new single.

I'd also love a few classics, Music would be great, so would Ray of Light, but please not La Isla Bonita.

What songs do you think she will perform?

"Holiday" and "Ray Of Light" seem like obvious choices.....maybe "4 Minutes" because of the marching band sound?

"Into The Groove" and/or "Music" would work,too.

if this is true im gonna be so damn excited. if she performs in superbowl half time and grammy awards, she's gonna blast her way to no.1 and bring back her long lost us airplay.

that won't happen

The Grammy's would make much more sense in 2013 when she has awards to win. This year she won't be nominated for anything so why perform there. Do SuperBowl now, and then Grammy's in 2013. VMA's in late august of 2012. etc etc etc...

I doubt they would let her debut new material. They want the half time show to attract as many drunk sports fans as possible so they would probably ask her to perform her biggest, best known hits and nothing TOO GAY (ie no Vogue).

But do you think she'd actually do this if it weren't a promo slot for her new music?