Madonna NEW ALBUM Thread: Updates and Rumours

horn

Er what was the need for this needlessly verbose reply? He didn't diss her, he just said that COMPARED TO HER OTHER ALBUMS, those two underperformed. Jeez.

I didn't think he was dissing her, I was just stating that facts disprove his statements about those two records

underperforming and that albums shouldn't be compared between them but each one in his own context

and HC context was that of being the 15th most successfull album of 2008

That's all :)

Guest groovyguy

twitter.com/#!/WilliamOrbit

WilliamOrbit William Orbit

Working with an INCREDIBLE engineer/mixer Demo (Demacio Castellon*). No wiki page as yet but will have tomorrow

8 hours ago

we got a three day weekend to do a ton o shiz. The cat's away, the dreammunchkin team gets busy. Agenda bender. MSR

8 hours ago »

I love the smell of burning speakers in the morning [up all nite]. Smells like Victory

7 hours ago »

*Demacio Castellon is the engineer and mixer who mixed 4 minutes on "Hard Candy"

If they are mixing tracks, that means they are completing stuff, at least particular tracks, right?

That is what I am thinking. The whole timeline of this album is very close to Ray of Light's. Recording July through October. Mixing in late October/early November. If she follows this, we should know about the album cover shoot by Thanksgiving.

Guest bluejean

It's very MJ.

I'm thinking the fact he put a capital V on that word that it may be a song title. Not sure how it would work as an album title considering The Jacksons already did an album with that name. It does sound iconic and rather apt.

That is what I am thinking. The whole timeline of this album is very close to Ray of Light's. Recording July through October. Mixing in late October/early November. If she follows this, we should know about the album cover shoot by Thanksgiving.

I would have thought mixing would generally occur once they have finished the whole album. Unless they are mixing the 1st single only. It would be good to get 2 singles out before the album. Imagine if we all of a sudden get a song before the end of the year. Probably not but I do wonder how long it takes to get a song to radio and then released on itunes after mixing/mastering and if that's even a possibility?

I would have thought mixing would generally occur once they have finished the whole album. Unless they are mixing the 1st single only.

It is possible that it is finished, or at least William Orbit & Company's part. I haven't seen hide nor hair of discussion involving Martin Solveig's work (or anyone else for that matter). However, if she intends to launch the first single at the Superbowl (or thereabouts), I tend to believe the album will be out in early-to-mid March. And if that is the case, the mixing will have to be done by December. The recording might continue into November, but I think that is about the latest it could go.

It would be good to get 2 singles out before the album. Imagine if we all of a sudden get a song before the end of the year.

That seems to be a strategy with a lot of today's music stars (to have 2 singles out before the album drops). I am not sure if Madonna will follow that tactic. Based on past patterns, she seems to rely heavily on the lead single with each album to maximize album sales in the first 3 months of release.

She's doing a duet with GaGa to be succesful again...emmm right, Cher you seriously think that if your donig a duet with Gaga everyone's going to give credit to you and your next album's going to do well?! Let me think....NO!

Well at least it makes sense for Cherilyn to collaborate with Gaga, who with her outrageous costumes is not unlike old skool Cher. Better than Justina Timbercunt at least.

It is possible that it is finished, or at least William Orbit & Company's part. I haven't seen hide nor hair of discussion involving Martin Solveig's work (or anyone else for that matter). However, if she intends to launch the first single at the Superbowl (or thereabouts), I tend to believe the album will be out in early-to-mid March. And if that is the case, the mixing will have to be done by December. The recording might continue into November, but I think that is about the latest it could go.

That seems to be a strategy with a lot of today's music stars (to have 2 singles out before the album drops). I am not sure if Madonna will follow that tactic. Based on past patterns, she seems to rely heavily on the lead single with each album to maximize album sales in the first 3 months of release.

Yeah, what happened to Solveig? Everyone thought he was on board? Where did that rumor start?

Do we know how much time she has spent in the studio?

I mean has she done all the vocals and all thats left for her is to

help out with production side of things?

Yeah, what happened to Solveig? Everyone thought he was on board? Where did that rumor start?

Madonnarama.

Do we know how much time she has spent in the studio?

Well, let's look back...

July 4: was her first day (per Guy Oseary's tweet) - in London

July 24: Guy O. tweets that she was starting her second week in the studio (this time in NYC).

August 2: Madonna is photographed leaving the recording studio with a notebook (NYC)

September 2: Madonna tells a Swedish interviewer: "I’ve started a little bit of working in the studio, and then when I go back to New York…’til the end of the year I’ll be in the recording studio."

September 15: Guy Oseary tweets that they had an "amazing day" in the studio.

September 18: Guy Oseary on Twitter: she's in the studio all this week... and the music is so goooooooood...

Guest bluejean

Hmm, well I guess its hard to know. But even so if she was planning to be in the studio til the end of the year there is also the possibility that things happened faster than expected. Although my impression of Madonna is that she lives by schedule.

I'm guessing realistically a single by February for Superbowl makes most sense. I could not be more excited. Is it just me or does this album have alot of hype compared to anything she's done in a long time?

Hmm, well I guess its hard to know. But even so if she was planning to be in the studio til the end of the year there is also the possibility that things happened faster than expected. Although my impression of Madonna is that she lives by schedule.

From what I can tell, when she did Hard Candy she spent about 1 week in February (Pharrell), 1 week in April (Timberlake and Timbaland), 1-2 weeks in July (Timberlake and Timbaland), and then 1-2 weeks in October/early November (Pharrell/Kanye). Then it was mixed. That is just based on reports that saw her entering a studio or that we know she was in one.

XXL, I do agree that HC performed better than AL overall- it lasted 30 weeks on the U.S. albums chart, compared to AL's 14 weeks. But, M also didn't tour to support AL until more than a year after its release. With HC, she started the tour only a few months after the album release.

Nonetheless, the fact that it ranked 15th on the IFPI list doesn't mean it was not a commercial disappointment. It just means that music sales in general were not great and other albums performed even more disappointingly. :)

With the new album, I just hope it's a strong record and let the commercial success- or lack thereof- fall where it may.

Madonnarama.

Well, let's look back...

July 4: was her first day (per Guy Oseary's tweet) - in London

July 24: Guy O. tweets that she was starting her second week in the studio (this time in NYC).

August 2: Madonna is photographed leaving the recording studio with a notebook (NYC)

September 2: Madonna tells a Swedish interviewer: "I’ve started a little bit of working in the studio, and then when I go back to New York…’til the end of the year I’ll be in the recording studio."

September 15: Guy Oseary tweets that they had an "amazing day" in the studio.

September 18: Guy Oseary on Twitter: she's in the studio all this week... and the music is so goooooooood...

So she has probably finished most of the vocals and Orbit is it at the final mixing

and production stage. I wonder how long before she presents the final product to record

executives. Once that has happened if the album is good the buzz and hype start to kick in.

Excitement much!

XXL, I do agree that HC performed better than AL overall- it lasted 30 weeks on the U.S. albums chart, compared to AL's 14 weeks. But, M also didn't tour to support AL until more than a year after its release. With HC, she started the tour only a few months after the album release.

Nonetheless, the fact that it ranked 15th on the IFPI list doesn't mean it was not a commercial disappointment. It just means that music sales in general were not great and other albums performed even more disappointingly. :)

With the new album, I just hope it's a strong record and let the commercial success- or lack thereof- fall where it may.

I am sorry but I disagree even on this because a tour has actually zero relevance in increasing the sales of an album however close the release of the album and the tour might be .... you can see in the charts stats of 2008 and see that the start of the S&S did little to increase HC sales. A tour for any artist these days it is made to rake in the big bucks that touring guarantees to the artists, especially in the case of acts like Madonna or U2 for instance. It is by no way organised in the hope it will push any album's sales.

Most of the work for HC was done by the first single which was a huge hit, its accompanying video, which was a satisfying video (the second one was quite dreadful and there wasn't a proper third single release), her 3 gigs in NY, Paris and Kent (BBC3 broadcast) and a few radio interviews .... when the tour started it didn't change anything in terms of sales for the album (just look at the stats).

I also disagree on the fact that general sales for each year are not relevant when judging a record's commercial success....ranking in the 15th position doesn't mean that other albums performed even more disappointingly it just means that for said year, in that particular market context a hit record, a well-received one no matter who the artist was or how many copies their previous effort shipped would only go on to sell a given amount of copies

I agree on the last thing you wrote. The only thing that matters is that her next record is a strong record in terms of quality (not that HC wasn't, some liked it, others less as with each of her records, because each one of them is different and an experiment) The sales are irrelevant at this stage.

She's had so much commercial success for such a long time none of today's acts will in the long run match her track record or I should say even be around in 20-30 years time.

No one said the S&S tour boosted HC sales- the tour helped keep HC afloat, at least in the USA- longer than it probably would have lasted without the tour. We saw that with the week-to week sales totals and performance once the tour began (there was even a thread for it; Confessions Tour had a similar impact on COADF). Without the tour, the album probably would have dropped faster- it's not like it had any singles after 4M to keep it going.

Guest bluejean

The fact remains American Life was a bigger flop worldwide than any other album with NO hit singles in the US. (Apart from Die Another Day, which doesn't count.)

:thumbsdown: 4 Minutes mixing is awful. One of the worst of her career. :(

But it really depends on what kind of beat or theme she's going for. I wasn't too crazy about the hip-hop vibe of 4 Minutes either, but considering M is moving in an entirely new musical direction, I think we should have faith that she knows what she's doing

:thumbsdown: 4 Minutes mixing is awful. One of the worst of her career. :(

i thought all of timbaland's tracks had terrible mixing

not sure whose fault that is, timbaland or demo?

What was terrible about the mixing? :confused: