Madonna NEW ALBUM Thread: Updates and Rumours

horn

I agree. Although it's brought up as being least cohesive, that isn't to say it's a bad album. On the contrary, it's great. I prefer American Life to it, but Music did bring some amazing stuff, like Impressive Instant and Paradise.

I love American Life. It stands as the best Madonna studio album of the last decade for me.

I love American Life. It stands as the best Madonna studio album of the last decade for me.

As it is mine. and I do agree with you on what you said.

Best album of the last decade.

:)

Nope, wrong again. Take some Hard Candy.

Indeed! HARDER IS BETTER!! :D

I'd actually call COADF my favorite of the past decade but HC tramples all over AL. I adored Music and I just remember being completely underwhelmed by AL on first listen. I kept waiting for a song to grab me like Music or Impressive Instant.....or even Paradise but it didn't happen. Die Another Day DID grab me like that but I was obviously very familiar with that by the time AL was released. I remember thinking MAF was pretty funky but still didn't quite salvage the album for me. In retrospect though, AL definitely has it's place in the Madonna canon. I can't help but think of tracksuits, tweed, faux British accents and shooting birds when I hear that album. Esther at her peak!!

Guest bluejean

I think both Music and American Life are dragged down by too many acoustic songs. They weaved them in with some electronic bleeps but it didn't disguise the fact she was going in 2 very distinctively different directions musically. From interviews she talks about it like it was intentional but I personally would have preferred the acoustic tracks to have been more produced a la The Power Of Goodbye or even Has To Be to fit in with the other tracks.

I believe the press release for 'Music' or even Madonna herself described it as a "party album" which it certainly ain't. It is filled with good songs though so for that reason I still rate it pretty highly. But I always felt Mirwais was limited as a producer. Songs like 'Music' and 'Paradise' are brilliantly produced but alot of the others are pretty basic in comparison to the intricacies' of Orbit or Price's work.

Why are people so insistent that there should be "great videos" this time? It's not 1998 anymore. There was a reason she didn't bother with Hard Candy.

It would be nice if she had at least one or two strong videos, but she of all people really has nothing to prove in that department. And while I agree that she is/was a visual artist, the music always had to be in place first. I loved the 4 Mins video anyway, that was enough for me. :demonic:

Why are people so insistent that there should be "great videos" this time? It's not 1998 anymore. There was a reason she didn't bother with Hard Candy.

It would be nice if she had at least one or two strong videos, but she of all people really has nothing to prove in that department. And while I agree that she is/was a visual artist, the music always had to be in place first. I loved the 4 Mins video anyway, that was enough for me. :demonic:

I personally hope W.E. reignited her love and appreciation of the visual art form. Though I do enjoy her most recent videos (more so than some other fans), it would be great to see some of that pretentiousness that all the W.E. reviews mention show up in her upcoming video ventures. She has nothing to prove, but it would be great to add a few more outstanding videos to her already impressive resume.

Guest bluejean

I don't think at least 3 good videos is that much to expect from a pop star releasing an album. Videos may not be as significant as they once were, but all successful artists are still doing them. Kanye West, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Katy Perry and various others have all done mutiple great videos from their recent albums. Even Kylie managed 2 good videos and 1 done on the cheap from 'Aphrodite.'

ALOT of people watch music videos on YouTube. Same goes for TV performances. I think TV performances around the world are vital. If she's going bypass that and do the mini promo shows like she did for Hard Candy, she needs to make them mindblowing so loads of people will check them out on YouTube. I liked what she did for Hard Candy, but none of it was "must see" for the casual viewer.

I do kinda feel with youtube that you have to up the quality a bit to hold the viewers attention - as there is an off switch. Good videos would be nice, just don't want her to try and top Gaga.. maybe go in a different direction with more simple visuals. Single Ladies show how good you can be with just a small budget. I suppose good small budget videos is something she hasn't really done before since the early days at least?

I think both Music and American Life are dragged down by too many acoustic songs. They weaved them in with some electronic bleeps but it didn't disguise the fact she was going in 2 very distinctively different directions musically. From interviews she talks about it like it was intentional but I personally would have preferred the acoustic tracks to have been more produced a la The Power Of Goodbye or even Has To Be to fit in with the other tracks.

I believe the press release for 'Music' or even Madonna herself described it as a "party album" which it certainly ain't. It is filled with good songs though so for that reason I still rate it pretty highly. But I always felt Mirwais was limited as a producer. Songs like 'Music' and 'Paradise' are brilliantly produced but alot of the others are pretty basic in comparison to the intricacies' of Orbit or Price's work.

I'm a fan of minimalist Madonna. The tracks are given room to breathe. When you tire of the material and then come back it -- usually for me it feels fresher than any of the thickly layered grand productions of her past.

I do kinda feel with youtube that you have to up the quality a bit to hold the viewers attention - as there is an off switch. Good videos would be nice, just don't want her to try and top Gaga.. maybe go in a different direction with more simple visuals. Single Ladies show how good you can be with just a small budget. I suppose good small budget videos is something she hasn't really done before since the early days at least?

:rant: What? Try and top GaGa? Virtually every video Madonna has ever done tops that muppet's efforts. Gaga's videos are just a hot mess of recycled ideas, poor dance routines and Camden market clothes. They're shockingly bad and uninspired.

HC is my favourite album of the last decade. Mirwais' production bores me and COADF seems a bit samey to me. I hope we don't get too much of WO production though as I find that too much on ROL.

Indeed! HARDER IS BETTER!! :D

I'd actually call COADF my favorite of the past decade but HC tramples all over AL. I adored Music and I just remember being completely underwhelmed by AL on first listen. I kept waiting for a song to grab me like Music or Impressive Instant.....or even Paradise but it didn't happen. Die Another Day DID grab me like that but I was obviously very familiar with that by the time AL was released. I remember thinking MAF was pretty funky but still didn't quite salvage the album for me. In retrospect though, AL definitely has it's place in the Madonna canon. I can't help but think of tracksuits, tweed, faux British accents and shooting birds when I hear that album. Esther at her peak!!

:clap:

As long as there's not a rapper in sight, I'll be happy with whatever her Maj decides to pop out.

That said, I'm gagging for a nice juicy ballad! Bitch has been sweating on the dancefloor for far too long. She's starting to stink! :wacko:

Guest FrozenEyes

That said, I'm gagging for a nice juicy ballad! Bitch has been sweating on the dancefloor for far too long. She's starting to stink! :wacko:

:rotfl:

As long as there's not a rapper in sight, I'll be happy with whatever her Maj decides to pop out.

Too funny! LMAO!

Madonna should do two *excellent* videos for the first two singles.I hope she doesn't kill the momentum of the album by releasing a questionable second single with a lame video (like she did with HC).

Madonna should do two *excellent* videos for the first two singles.I hope she doesn't kill the momentum of the album by releasing a questionable second single with a lame video (like she did with HC).

I adore Give It 2 Me. It's one of my most favourite M tracks of all time. I think it's so original and love the video. It's simple but she just looks beautiful. Makes up for the hot mess of 4M. However, I still think She's Not Me was a huge missed opportunity.

I adore Give It 2 Me. It's one of my most favourite M tracks of all time. I think it's so original and love the video. It's simple but she just looks beautiful. Makes up for the hot mess of 4M. However, I still think She's Not Me was a huge missed opportunity.

I love "Give It 2 Me" but I don't think it should have been the second single.A much better choice would have been "Beat Goes On" featuring Kanye West.That song would have followed "4 Minutes" into the Top 10.

Madonna should do two *excellent* videos for the first two singles.

For the first single, perhaps she should do no video or one in which she does not appear. I like the idea of the Queen of MTV not even doing videos anymore. That would be quite a riposte to MTV for no longer playing them, would avoid the negative comparisons to Lady Gaga that would otherwise be made, and would certainly garner far more media attention than any video that she could make. Plus, only Madonna's die-hard fans buy her singles anymore, so it's not as though she would be losing any sales by not having that promotion.

mtv doesn't matter anymore

almost everyone today automatically heads to youtube for new videos and good ones spread like wildfire

there's really no excuse when making a great video dsn't cost 1/2 as much as what she used to spend back in the day

even indie artists these days are putting out amazing visuals on tight budgets

mtv doesn't matter anymore

almost everyone today automatically heads to youtube for new videos and good ones spread like wildfire

there's really no excuse when making a great video dsn't cost 1/2 as much as what she used to spend back in the day

even indie artists these days are putting out amazing visuals on tight budgets

Absolutely. Some of her fans always excusing the lazyness.