Madonna's a member of The Academy

erotica blu

what does that mean?

It means she has voter privilege at The Academy Awards / The Oscars. She can nominated actors, actresses, herself in the acting categories -- she can also nominated Best Picture contenders -- and once the official ballots are done -- she can vote for the winner in any category.

She voted for Diane Wiest in Woody Allen's 'Bullets over Broadway' in 1995. So, yes it's old news. I think all it takes is being a member of the actors union & then a couple of people

who are already in need 2 endorse you...But she can't nominate people by herself EroticaBlu.

She voted for Diane Wiest in Woody Allen's 'Bullets over Broadway' in 1995. So, yes it's old news. I think all it takes is being a member of the actors union & then a couple of people

who are already in need 2 endorse you...But she can't nominate people by herself EroticaBlu.

Obviously others must be in agreement with (some) of your picks for any of them to make it on the ballot.

I would think most people who do a certain number of films, whether acting, directing, scoring, etc. are members of the Academy.

You have to be invited. I use to believe once you became an Oscar nominee you were automatically in.

I would think most people who do a certain number of films, whether acting, directing, scoring, etc. are members of the Academy.

I think that is how the NARAS (Grammy) academy works. If you produce or write for a number of recorded projects, you can apply and be accepted (after paying member dues). A good friend of mine here in Seattle is dating the old drummer from the Posies, and he is a member of NARAS.

Erotica_blu is mostly right though:

Membership in the Academy is by invitation of the Board of Governors and is limited to those who have achieved distinction in the arts and sciences of motion pictures.

A candidate must be sponsored by at least two members of the branch for which the person may qualify. Each proposed member must first receive the endorsement of the branch's executive committee before his/her name is submitted to the Board.

Individuals nominated for an Academy Award® who are not already members will be considered for membership.

The Board also may invite individuals to become members-at-large and associate members. Members-at-large are those engaged in motion picture production, but for whose craft there is no separate branch. They have all the privileges of branch membership except for representation on the Board. Associate members are those closely allied to the industry but not actively engaged in motion picture production. They are not represented on the Board and do not vote on Academy Awards®.

I think Madonna also said she voted for Eminem for Best Song when he was nominated for 8 Mile.

Yeah, didn't she cinch that membership w/'Shanghai Surprise'? :queenbitch:

I almost wonder if maybe they invited her after she offered to sing "You Must Love Me" at the 1997 Oscars? Maybe that was part of the deal. After all, you can't get something for nothing. ;)

Guest chatty kathy

I almost wonder if maybe they invited her after she offered to sing "You Must Love Me" at the 1997 Oscars? Maybe that was part of the deal. After all, you can't get something for nothing. ;)

^ Point! Possibly even before or after 'Sooner Or Later' was done live on the program? The timeline would be interesting to see how long she has been as esteemed member.

MADONNA confirmed she is a member of the Academy ages ago... Rick Dees interview mid-90s... even before EVITA

Really? Hmmmm...that is the first time I heard of this. I know she did an interview with Rick Dee's in 2002. But I have never recalled hearing (for sure) that she was a voting member before that.

• 5 months later...

I remember being told that back in the day by someone off alt.fan.madonna.

I think she has brilliant taste - she said how much she liked Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction at the 95 awards when interviewed by Barry Norman between ad breaks when the BBC shown it live. That was the one where she did the monkey skit for host Letterman. I think she was with Alan Parker. It's on youtube, though don't think there's a complete clip.

I wonder if she'll vote for her own film. :wow: Every year loads of actors are selected to become members, regardless if they're nominated. They got a lot of criticism recently for picking lots of young comedy stars like Michael Cera.

Well Pharrell has been named musical diretor of the 2012 ceremony and Billy Crystal is back to present it just like the two times Madonna performed (and won) at the Oscars, so let's hope it's a sign :)

Edited by popeline

Really? Hmmmm...that is the first time I heard of this. I know she did an interview with Rick Dee's in 2002. But I have never recalled hearing (for sure) that she was a voting member before that.

well, she only confirmed she is a member of the Academy... doesn't that automatically mean that she can vote? anyhow, i don't understand these things but I am quite sure of the interview, it was when Rick Dees was asking for a gift from MADONNA and he asked her if she is a member. She said she is and offered to give him advance copies of movies she gets as a member of the Academy in exchange for gifts as well... :lol: Classic MADONNA behavior...

Guest bluejean

I would have thought she'd be practically obligated to perform as part of the final promotion for Evita. Imagine what a bad sport she would have looked like if she opted out of performing just because she wasn't nominated (like Barbra Steisand in the same year.)

I would have thought she'd be practically obligated to perform as part of the final promotion for Evita. Imagine what a bad sport she would have looked like if she opted out of performing just because she wasn't nominated (like Barbra Steisand in the same year.)

Besides that, the whole thing was of epic proportions. She, not nominated for an Oscar, rejected by the Academy, stands there pleading "You must love me". Never ever had this song more meaning. :dramatic:

• 2 years later...

Besides that, the whole thing was of epic proportions. She, not nominated for an Oscar, rejected by the Academy, stands there pleading "You must love me". Never ever had this song more meaning. :dramatic:

hahahahha