Confessions Tour Billboard Boxscore Thread

Guest Beautiful Stranger

Sell out or not, she's making a mint and the tour is a huge success. And even if it wasn't, it's a damn good show.

Though, with three tours in six years, she could have slimmed the number of American and western European shows and beefed up the number of shows elsewhere. That would be my only complaint about the Confessions Tour.

Guest Topaz Scorpio
Tonight's Boston show was most definitely NOT sold out. Unless a sizable amount of people bought tickets but negelcted to come.

I saw the same thing tonight. But apparently we're not allowed to talk about that as it makes some people have hissy fits. :manson:

Hmm... hissy fit. All I know is that all this ticket talk just leads to the inevitable HISSY FIT crap with the Kylie brigade, which leads to the HISSY FIT crap with the Madonna brigade - both co-existing on this one forum in delightful harmony. Kind of annoying to wade through if you ask me, especially when there's NADA to bicker when we've got nothing official. So yeah. I thought you'd be the first one to share my sentiments but I suppose not.

WHATEVER.jpg

People may talk all they like- when the final figures are released, that's what is- end of story, bottom line, etc.- just like it is with ALL acts and concert grosses.

I vehemently agree... for those who doubt whether it is sold out or not, go directly to Billboard or whoever manager you have to talk to to verify if it is sold out... then post a certification here that it is not sold out... otherwise, shut it already...

She is saturating the market in the west and northeast with nothing really considered "south" beyond Miami( yes I am bitter). She would certainly have sold out mulitple shows in Houston or Dallas or St. Louis. Not too mention she would have grossed a lot more in either Houston or/especially Dallas.

You are so right! All of her $350 tickets would have SOLD OUT in minutes here in Houston! She is very popular here in the clubs. Hell...even some clubs have special Madonna nights once a year! She could have replaced one Boston date with one Houston date!

Guest Beautiful Stranger
I saw the same thing tonight. But apparently we're not allowed to talk about that as it makes some people have hissy fits. :manson:

Well, if your so-called FACTS show that ROTS did better at the Box Office than POTC in it's first 3 days, then the FACTS show that Madonna ALWAYS sells-out, end of. :)

I think BStrgr is referring to box-office stats in his post.

There is no reason for anyone to get catty- like said, the final grosses will show whether a show is sold out or not. People also have to realize that most acts do NOT sell out all of their dates in a given year. I was checking the year-end lists for 2002, 2003, etc. and most didn't even come close to having all of their shows reported as sell-outs. So, on that front, Madge does VERY well- just 1 ofthe 56 shows for Re-Invention wasn't reported as a sellout (Ireland).

I wonder if the NY grosses won't be reported for another several weeks- I imagine they'll want all of the dates reported simultaneously, for maximum impact.

Guest Topaz Scorpio
:wacko: Huh?

Don't mind her Goldtooth, she's just got her panties in a twist because facts were presented that proved her to be wrong. Of course that was in another thread that had nothing to do with this one. But of course she's a bit of an obsessed one, so.... :lol:

Guest Topaz Scorpio
I think BStrgr is referring to box-office stats in his post.

There is no reason for anyone to get catty- like said, the final grosses will show whether a show is sold out or not. People also have to realize that most acts do NOT sell out all of their dates in a given year. I was checking the year-end lists for 2002, 2003, etc. and most didn't even come close to having all of their shows reported as sell-outs. So, on that front, Madge does VERY well- just 1 ofthe 56 shows for Re-Invention wasn't reported as a sellout (Ireland).

Of course she does very well, which is why if she did have a few seats that didn't sell, what's the big deal? People seem so paranoid about the possibility of one of her shows not selling out. What's wrong with that when all the other shows did? This is not a Mimi situation where she has been forced to cancel dates or downsize venues because she couldn't sell $18 tickets.

Guest Beautiful Stranger
Don't mind her Goldtooth, she's just got her panties in a twist because facts were presented that proved her to be wrong. Of course that was in another thread that had nothing to do with this one. But of course she's a bit of an obsessed one, so.... :lol:

*IGNORE* :flirt:

Madonna has always been huge in Texas. She did NOT have trouble selling out Houston and Dallas for Blonde Ambition or Whos that Girl. She would not only sell out mulitple dates in Houston and Dallas now, she would have made a HELL of a lot more money than she did in Fresno or Pheonix!

JAMESSHOT is 100% correct. TEXAS loves MADONNA. SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS: 8th largest city in the whole USA (Where I live)

DALLAS, TEXAS: 7th largest city in the USA

And of course:

HOUSTON, TEXAS is the 4th largest in the entire USA!

HOUSTON is much bigger the PHILLY. (Im quite surprised she is NOT adding HOUSTON to her tour list.

She did NEW YORK # 1 LARGEST CITY IN USA

She did LOS ANGELES # 2 LARGEST CITY

She also did CHICAGO # 3 LARGEST CITY

**************HOUSTON, TEXAS*********************DELETED???????

Shes doing PHILLY with is the 5th largest city

JAMESSHOT is 100% correct. TEXAS loves MADONNA. SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS: 8th largest city in the whole USA (Where I live)

DALLAS, TEXAS: 7th largest city in the USA

And of course:

HOUSTON, TEXAS is the 4th largest in the entire USA!

HOUSTON is much bigger the PHILLY. (Im quite surprised she is NOT adding HOUSTON to her tour list.

She did NEW YORK # 1 LARGEST CITY IN USA

She did LOS ANGELES # 2 LARGEST CITY

She also did CHICAGO # 3 LARGEST CITY

**************HOUSTON, TEXAS*********************DELETED???????

Shes doing PHILLY with is the 5th largest city

maybe it's a BUSH thang...

Guest jamesshot
maybe it's a BUSH thang...

If that is the case, what was her excuse in 93 and 2000? It really is baffeling why she has not toured either San Antonio, Houston or Dallas( again TONS of money just waiting) where she has a ton of fans. She shouldnt diss her Texas fans because of Bush. How silly. She is playing Florida, with Guv Bush and the state that gave Bush the Presidency.

I really would love an explanation why she has skipped over a large chunk of the south for 16 years.

Tonight's Boston show was most definitely NOT sold out. Unless a sizable amount of people bought tickets but negelcted to come.

There were LOTS of tickets still for sale through third party ticket vendors and Ebay (and for much higher prices). My guess is the tickets did sell through Ticketmaster, but those hoping to scalp them failed to unload them prior to the concert. Just a possibility no one has suggested yet.

Guest Topaz Scorpio
If that is the case, what was her excuse in 93 and 2000? It really is baffeling why she has not toured either San Antonio, Houston or Dallas( again TONS of money just waiting) where she has a ton of fans. She shouldnt diss her Texas fans because of Bush. How silly. She is playing Florida, with Guv Bush and the state that gave Bush the Presidency.

I really would love an explanation why she has skipped over a large chunk of the south for 16 years.

Because it is not home to the core of her fanbase. Her largest number of fans can be found in the "blue state" regions near famously liberal cities like Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and Boston. She visits Miami each tour because she has a fondness for it (she used to live there) and because she also has a large fanbase and friends in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area.

Honestly I don't think she would be caught dead in Texas lately after the way she's made potshots at Bush for the past few years. And she hasn't completely ignored the South. She visited Atlanta on her last two tours in addition to her Florida stops.

Because it is not home to the core of her fanbase. Her largest number of fans can be found in the "blue state" regions near famously liberal cities like Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and Boston. She visits Miami each tour because she has a fondness for it (she used to live there) and because she also has a large fanbase and friends in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area.

Honestly I don't think she would be caught dead in Texas lately after the way she's made potshots at Bush for the past few years. And she hasn't completely ignored the South. She visited Atlanta on her last two tours in addition to her Florida stops.

Also she tour Miami because a lot of poeple from Latin America goes there to see her..... is the most close city except for Los Angeles for the people from Mexico....

Guest jamesshot

I'm telling you, she has a huge fanbase in Texas. She has always been successful when touring Texas. Houston is a fairly progressive city, San Antonio is very progressive and Austin is extremely progressive. Dallas has a huge gay population. She wouldnt have to worry one iota about what she has said about Texas. More than 40% of this state did not vote for Bush. Texas isnt Nebraska, it does have its huge more liberal cities.

Guest espio98
I'm telling you, she has a huge fanbase in Texas. She has always been successful when touring Texas. Houston is a fairly progressive city, San Antonio is very progressive and Austin is extremely progressive. Dallas has a huge gay population. She wouldnt have to worry one iota about what she has said about Texas. More than 40% of this state did not vote for Bush. Texas isnt Nebraska, it does have its huge more liberal cities.

Really Madonna, GO VISIT TEXAS ALREADY! GOD! *sorry God for using your name in vain* *FORGIVE ME!!*

she would make a ton of money in Dallas. she has a fanbase, not all people in Texas are bunch of hicks with pitchforks who are going to protest a madonna concert.

anyway, i'm not bitter, i knew she wouldn't come here since we're not close to Los Angeles or NYC. she tours east and west coast, one Canadian city and Chicago, for the midwest.

I think the Texan venues/promoters were not enthusiastic enough to bring Madonna to Texas. Probably Fresno and Phoenix paid a LOT to have their venues added. That's the only explanation I can think of her weird scheduling...

Oh, that's ridiculous. Madonna can tour any city in any part of the country and sell out an arena. She is Madonna.

That's not just the Madonna fan talking. (Though the "Red America" and "Blue America" media-perpetuated "divide" is ridiculous and totally inaccurate, I will reluctantly use such terms since you have.) Madonna has major appeal nationwide, from Blood Red Indiana to Purple Ohio, which is conveniently right next door. For example, the idea that Madonna couldn't sell out a show in Kansas City is weak at best. Thousands of wannabes-turned-soccer moms would flock to see her simply because she is Madonna. Thousands of casual fans would flock to see her because Kansas City never gets big name stars (since the venues can't afford them).

Does she have more fans in New York than she does in Kansas City? Well, yes, that much is obvious. 1.) There are millions more people people in New York, the law of probability would suggest she has more fans there. 2.) New York has a club scene where she still continues to dominate, Kansas City does not. So, would it make sense to visit New York more often? Certainly, but that doesn't mean that she couldn't have added Kansas City to one of the past three tour routes at the expense of two New York shows.

Kansas City is a great example because she could sell it out if she wanted to and it is a conservative area. What boggles my mind is why she's skipping the big blue cities that litter Red America. Atlanta was done in 2001 and 2004, so that's fine to leave off, but what about Memphis, pre-Katrina New Orleans or any of the Texas cities James named, to name but a few?

Overperforming the southwest and northeast is going to kill her appeal for future projects. Not only will it leave casual fans in that area with a "I shelled out $300 two years ago and now she wants $365?" attitude that may keep them away from future tours, but it will demoralize hardcore fans in areas that are continually skipped. This repititious slap in the face that Australia, Latin America, the American south, etc. constantly get may not only keep fans away from future tours, but may keep them away from any sort of future project.

It's just not good business no matter how you rack it up.

Guest jamesshot

No its not good business. In Dallas alone, she would make a killing. Does anyone realize how big the Dallas/Forth Worth area is in population? It is staggering. She could probably sell out 6 shows in Dallas alone.

I mean if she keeps skipping us then she keeps skipping us. I just want some sort of reasonable explanation from her people. From a business standpoint, it makes no sense and Houston radio has always supported her strongly.

No its not good business. In Dallas alone, she would make a killing. Does anyone realize how big the Dallas/Forth Worth area is in population? It is staggering. She could probably sell out 6 shows in Dallas alone.

I mean if she keeps skipping us then she keeps skipping us. I just want some sort of reasonable explanation from her people. From a business standpoint, it makes no sense and Houston radio has always supported her strongly.

Isn't it obvious by now that most of the stops were chosen because they were close to her 3 homes, LA, NY and London. The only stop that is really far away is Japan and that will keep her away from her family for a week. Otherwise, I'm sure she had to compromise with her family, not travel too much and be able to fly home as much as possible after a show and tour only during her kids' summer vacation. It's not just about make a killing, she has a husband and two kids to consider. I don't know why up to now people can't see that. And don't keep your hopes up for future tours cuz as long as she has young kids, her schedule and itinerary will be similar to her last 3 tours.

Guest Topaz Scorpio
I think the Texan venues/promoters were not enthusiastic enough to bring Madonna to Texas. Probably Fresno and Phoenix paid a LOT to have their venues added. That's the only explanation I can think of her weird scheduling...

Again, the primary motive behind her scheduling is based around her family. She selects cities that are within flying distance of her homes in L.A. and New York so she can sleep in her own bed at night.

I mean let's look...

L.A. (her home)

Las Vegas (less than an hour flight to L.A.)

San Jose (90 minute flight to L.A.)

Fresno (less than an hour flight to L.A.)

Phoenix (90 minute flight to L.A.)

Chicago (she actually stayed over here I think)

Montreal (hotel stay)

Hartford (less than an hour flight to NYC)

NYC (her home)

Boston (1 hour flight to NYC)

Philadelphia (less than an hour flight to NYC)

Atlantic City (less than an hour flight to NYC)

Miami (she usually stays with friends)

The tour is designed so that the kids stay at home in L.A. while she does the first set of dates, then they probably got a vacation with Mom in Chicago and Montreal while she performed. Then it was home to NYC as M did her next slew of dates. Then it will be off to Miami to stay with friends and another vaca before heading off to home in London.

And all of the European dates seem to within a 90 minute flight time, except for Prague and Moscow (where she may stay over, which is why they are together at the end) and Rome, which is only for 1 show so she could still fly in and out the same day easily.

She limits her time away from her home bases to avoid it affecting her family. Now she could very well have done Dallas or Houston instead of Chicago or Montreal, but I would imagine she has a bigger fanbase in Chicago and likely feels more comfortable there (there's a big Kaballah center she likes to visit), and a Canada stop was a must, although she could've flown in and out of Montreal since it's only an hour flight from NYC. But I guess she wanted to spend a little time in that lovely city.