Confessions Tour Billboard Boxscore Thread

Guest Beautiful Stranger

McGraw and Hill's tour of 55 cities began on April 21 in Columbus, Ohio, and ended on September 3 after three consecutive nights at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. In all, they performed 73 shows, of which 53 were sellouts -- including two nights at Madison Square Garden in New York and three at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Before ANY one of you start complaining, you may wanna read this before you post:

McGraw + Hill = 89 million / 73 = 1.22 million / per show

Madonna = 86 million / 34 = 2.53 million / per show

Hmmm...that sucks about Prague but oh well - it still posted a higher gross than I thought it would, and she's gonna have a HUGE gross by the time this is all said and done. I am actually really happy she's doing so well.

:)

Madonna

Amsterdam Arena

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Sept. 3-4, 2006

$11,783,254

102,330 / 102,330

2 / 2

$125.43, $84.47

All I can say is Wow! More than 50,000 people per night. I didn't know the Amsterdam Arena could hold so many people.

Madonna

Horsens Forum Outdoor

Horsens, Denmark

Aug. 24, 2006

$11,435,199

85,232 / 85,232

1 / 1

$514.26, $119.14

What can we say? That's the equivalent of four nights at Wembley. She worked her ass off on stage for only two hours but earned as much as if she had worked her ass off for eight hours. Ain't that genius? I bet this is the highest gross ever for a single date, ain't it?

Madonna

Palais Omnisports Bercy

Paris, France

Aug. 27-28, 30-31, 2006

$9,145,832

67,758 / 67,758

4 / 4

$206.06, $78.07

Paris is just cheap! She should have charged those crazy queens a lot more! ;-)

Madonna

Sazka Arena

Prague, Czech Republic

Sept. 6-7, 2006

$5,861,668

37,666 / 38,342

0 / 2

$227.11, $55.53

What can we say here? First of all I wan't expecting her to play in front of almost 19,000 people per night. Second of all the average ticket price for these gigs was 155 USD. If she keeps at least the same level for the Japan gigs and if she sells out all four of them, she will earn more than 34,000,000 USD from Japan alone. Something tells me that she will end up making more money than that in Japan after all is said and done.

Madonna

Niedersachsenstadion

Hannover, Germany

Aug. 22, 2006

$5,218,985

39,871 / 39,871

1 / 1

$211.18, $83.19

This is another nice surprise.

This tour is gonna end up with more than $ 213,000,000 and that's just AMAZING! That translates into an average of over $ 3,500,000 per date. Has anyone ever done that before? I don't think so.

Hopefully Guy and Angela will come out with a very nice press release conciding with the NBC broadcast. Everybody has got to know. The funny thing is that she could have earned even more had the tour schedule been done better. Like someone has stated, had the tour been organized differently, she could have included Australia as well - which would have translated into at least another $ 30,000,000 - and she could have done her London Wembley gigs in late September or early October thus ending the tour in England. It should have gone like this: Rome-Dusseldorf-Hannover-Horsen-Amsterdam-Paris-Prague-Moscow-Osaka-Tokyo-Brisbane-Melbourne-Sidney-Cardiff-London. Instead of ending the tour on September 21, she could have ended it in early October in London, thus not affecting her children's work school schedule.

This way the tour could have easily grossed a lot more than 250,000,000!

This lady's definitely got even higher potential. If only she was managed by the right people!

Finally the thing about the US is that, had she played Atlanta and Washington instead of Hartford and Fresno, she would have grossed more than 89,000,000.

That of course dosn't take anything away from the amazing achievements of this tour.

Congratulations to the biggest star on the planet!

cgrosax6.jpg

I don't worry for Prague, does anyone remember Madonna didn't sell out Slane Castle? No, everybody says Rit was a complete sold-out

Guest Moskovit
I don't worry for Prague, does anyone remember Madonna didn't sell out Slane Castle? No, everybody says Rit was a complete sold-out

Moscow isn't sold out either :hurt:

before some people here start to freak out, note that this is just for North America!

Tim McGraw, Faith Hill tour biggest so far of 2006

Tim McGraw and Faith Hill may be the biggest tour of 2006 but they should also have the BEST-SELLING for 2006 where they should at least focus on the average... UGH!!!

Guest jamesshot

She should have never included Hartford or Fresno. She should have done at least Dallas( lots and lots of money there).

Yes, as I said, had she scheduled this tour differently, she could have gone to Australia and ended in London.

But hell, even with Moscow that a sellout( how disappointing but it was def. not due to lack of interest but poor organization) this tour is a resounding, spectacular success.

Guest northernlad

Hartford & Fresno were by no means failures, in terms of per night gross they're alligned with a good portion of the RIT figures. But it should be clear they likely only opted with those cities because additional nights weren't available at nearby major markets (ei a 7th show at the Garden, 3rd Jose). There simply wasn't time to cruise up to Seattle or dip down into Dallas (& these days neither of those markets is a guarantee regardless of the size of the act), so they did the best they could logistically with a very tight schedule.

& the London idea makes little sense, aside from the ridiculous transp costs that would add to the production, they could have just extended this tour through the end of the month and had shows say on the 25-26, 29-30th. She's always made it very clear she wasn't interested in doing more than sixty shows a tour (plus it leaves new, exciting markets open for her on the next round - which they can tackle little by little with each new tour).

& for my two cents the Prague discussion is ridiculous, if only for the fact that "sell-out" is just a relative term - any act can get them if their base figures are conservative enough - just look at Mariah getting a sale-out at Albany with only 6,500 people, & as for Madge, the United Center can hold close to 17,000 people for stage-end concerts (would've been closer to 16 with the catwalks), yet they only put 13,000 seats on sale per night (as 1,000 $350 seats makes a lot more than 4,000 $95 & $55 seats). and yet there's complaints when she moves over 19,000 seats? It's all relative.

Guest jamesshot

She had plenty of time to dip into Dallas. Skip Fresno, after Pheonix, hit Dallas then right on up to Chicago. It would have been very simple. Dallas is a guarantee big money city for her( as would Houston). Dallas has an enormous metroplex surrounding it. She could easily have sold out more than 2 shows at one of Dallas's largest arenas. Hartford was just silly. She should have done an extra show in Montreal instead.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

Cher's *reported* record, yes.

But the BB Boxscore #'s for her farewll tour didn't include her non-US/Mexico shows, except for one Euro date, they were never reported... Her farewell tour actually grossed like $250 million.

*much obsess* :crazy:

The tour is enormously and astonishingly successful on many levels, and surely making many other artists (*cough* Mariah *cough*) in the industry very envious of Madonna's success, I don't understand why there's so much nitpicking and faults with the tour being blown out of proportion here. I don't know understand how a show that had 98.2% of the tickets sold and higher grosses than nearly every arena show on the tour (including NY and London) is considered bad. There always room for improvement (more promo, doing more shows, touring in more countries, singing more "classics", dancing more, having nicer hair, less this, more that, blahblahblah) but perfection is never achieved. Especially with a fastidious fanbase! Madonna is the most successful and adulated female artist in the concert industry. She looks like she's still in the prime of her life on stage. There will come a day (hopefully not for a very long time) when she won't be able to do any of this because she'll be too old or dead! You're entitled to be dissatisfied with some things, but lighten up, bask in the success and enjoy the great ride while it's still hot!

Guest Topaz Scorpio

That's true. Ironically it's only Madonna fans complaining about her tour $$ compared to other artists. All the industry write-ups about her tour talk about how successful it has been.

The tour is enormously and astonishingly successful on many levels, and surely making many other artists (*cough* Mariah *cough*) in the industry very envious of Madonna's success, I don't understand why there's so much nitpicking and faults with the tour being blown out of proportion here. I don't know understand how a show that had 98.2% of the tickets sold and higher grosses than nearly every arena show on the tour (including NY and London) is considered bad. There always room for improvement (more promo, doing more shows, touring in more countries, singing more "classics", dancing more, having nicer hair, less this, more that, blahblahblah) but perfection is never achieved. Especially with a fastidious fanbase! Madonna is the most successful and adulated female artist in the concert industry. She looks like she's still in the prime of her life on stage. There will come a day (hopefully not for a very long time) when she won't be able to do any of this because she'll be too old or dead! You're entitled to be dissatisfied with some things, but lighten up, bask in the success and enjoy the great ride while it's still hot!

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!

:clap:

Leave it to HEC to speak the truth :thumbsup:

The voice of reason, as always :clap:

Guest ngoannga

The Top 20 Concert Tours ranks artists by average box office gross per city and includes the average ticket price for shows in North America. The previous week’s ranking is in parentheses. The list is based on data provided to the trade publication Pollstar by concert promoters and venue managers.

1. (1) Madonna; $6,015,385; $177.53.

2. (2) Tim McGraw/Faith Hill; $1,539,134; $81.07.

3. (3) Dave Matthews Band; $1,452,552; $47.88.

4. (4) Kenny Chesney; $1,380,203; $58.45.

5. (5) Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young; $1,156,365; $84.01.

6. (6) Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers; $1,041,831; $49.62.

7. (New) Mariah Carey; $998,311; $73.26.

8. (7) American Idols Live; $746,038; $53.83.

9. (9) Ozzfest; $706,184; $44.83.

10. (8) Rascal Flatts; $695,999; $44.32.

http://www.mariahconnection.com/news_us.asp

Guest northernlad

That data's slightly off, suppose pollstar is a bit lacking this time of the year.

Her avg. ticket price was $184, and per gross 6.6m (or 6.15m if Forum & Staples are separated).

http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=7286

Madonna Confesses To A Million

Updated 04:44 PDT Sun, Sep 24 2006

More than 1 million people paid to see Madonna's Confessions tour, which closed at Tokyo Dome September 21.

Arthur Fogel from promoter Live Nation's The Next Adventure, which promotes the seemingly ageless diva worldwide, told Pollstar 1,165,000 punters paid US$193.7 million to see the 60-date run.

John Giddings from London-based Solo, who arranges and coordinates the European legs of Madonna tours, said the 22-date, sold-out run she started at Cardiff Millennium Stadium July 31 drew more than 500,000 people.

The European leg wrapped at Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium September 12 - the biggest show ever staged in Russia - and pulled 50,000 people.

Like any Madonna tour, and almost anything else she does, the European dates were shadowed by controversy as various church leaders threw up their arms in protest over the mock "crucifixion" scene that's part of her live show.

But complaints from The Vatican, German Lutherans and the Russian Orthodox Church, whose leaders tore up and set fire to Madonna posters in the street, had zero impact outside the media. In fact, her fans reportedly saved a particularly warm response for that part of her performance.

In Moscow particularly, Tim Dowdall from Live Nation's Budapest office had problems with the press.

What he described as "a litany of rumours and accusations" were fueled by the national and local papers - which spread as far as the U.K.'s The Sun - and included a report that said the show wouldn't happen because a clairvoyant told Madonna she'd die if it did.

Even some journalists who said it would happen still had a down on the event, saying she'd mime, the production would be a disaster or - even more dramatically - Russian police would beat up the audience.

Some of the scare stories were a result of the show having to be switched from Vorobyovy Gory, an open-air site overlooking Moscow State University, because the local authorities feared 250,000 people would turn up.

Not only did the show happen, but Dowdall said the production ran as smoothly as any he's worked on. He was quick to praise the cooperation from local police and the "immense help" from Moscow mayor Yury Luzhkov.

Fogel was also happy the final European show had gone "really well," and described the whole tour as "a tremendous success on all levels."

John Gammon / Pollstar

Guest boytoyville
It probably forgot about Prague. And would the Russian concert be considered a sellout? Only time will tell (if it's reported; I'd think it would be).

They probably just consider Prague a sellout because only a few hundred seats weren't sold I would imagine.

Guest northernlad

I wonder if Fogel excluded the Tokyo shows for the attendance figures? The reported tally's already at 1050k, it's unlikely the last five shows only played to another 115k - though the gross seems it would include all five shows. Perhaps that Billboard article meant the promoter hadn't all figures in yet instead of just the magazine. Well, we'll see Wednesday.

Guest northernlad

Madonna

Tokyo Dome

Tokyo, Japan

Sept. 20-21, 2006

$9,803,185

83,595 / 85,014

2 / 0

$426.27, $93.57

Madonna

Kyocera Dome Osaka

Osaka, Japan