*NEW* VH1 100 Greatest Artists of All Time

HolidayGuy

On the last list- in 1998, compiled before Ray of Light's release- Madonna came in at No. 86. So, quite an improvement :vogue:

And, as you can see, she's the highest-ranked female.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/popcandy/post/2010/08/exclusive-vh1-names-the-100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-see-the-top-20/1#Close

20. Marvin Gaye

19. U2

18. Pink Floyd

17. Queen

16. Madonna

15. The Beach Boys

14. Nirvana

13. The Who

12. David Bowie

11. Bob Marley

10. Stevie Wonder

9. James Brown

8. Elvis Presley

7. Prince

6. Jimi Hendrix

The top five (in alphabetical order):

The Beatles

Bob Dylan

Michael Jackson

Led Zeppelin

Rolling Stones

well she is the only female in that top 20,.. but those lists are always pointless. They dont meen shit to me. there is always some kind of upset, and they change all the time.

These are compiled by industry people, so they are more notable than a list dervied from public voting, where it includes people who think their favorite pedestrian music or act is the "best." :rosey:

Madonna already was an established legend/force before ROL, but with that album, and stuff to come after, she further cemented her status.

^It's a pretty great showing for a list like this

In the preview press release from last week, it said Beyonce and Jay-Z were some of the names being considered for the list. if hey made it, obviously they didn't make the top 20. :doofus:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/vh1-classic-brings-the-heat-this-september-100977894.html

Glad you can sleep now, Kurt- I was concerned. :vogue:

Guest nothingfails0603

I think moving from 86 to 16 is very good, nice to see MJ and Prince made top 10 since last time, too bad Bowie dropped a few spots

Guest nothingfails0603

Nirvana was good, but I often wonder if Kurt lived if they would be ranked alongside these 60's and 70's greats. After all Pearl Jam came out the same time, sold more albums, had more hits, influenced as many bands (Kings Of Leon are a current group you hear PJ all over) but I doubt they'll be higher than the 60's because they've managed to keep making music after their heyday whereas Kurt killed himself and made himself a musical martyr at the right moment.

I swear if anyone like Beyonce, Britney or Gaga make the top 30 then I'm seriously going to picket VH1 :thumbsdown:

^That someone's going to force you to watch, I imagine. :D

Kurt Cobain's early demise has added to the mystique of Nirvana.

While this lit likely has some different contributors, some notable moves from the 12-year-old list:

Michael Jackson (40 on the last list, top 5 on the new one)

Prince (18 on the last list, No. 7 on the new one)

Bob Marley (24 on the last list, 11 on the new one)

Nirvana (42 on the last list, 14 n the new one)

Madonna (86 on the last list, 16 on the new one)

Queen (33 on the last list, 17 on the new one)

U2 (29 on the last list, 19 n the new one)

^It's a pretty great showing for a list like this

In the preview press release from last week, it said Beyonce and Jay-Z were some of the names being considered for the list. if hey made it, obviously they didn't make the top 20. :doofus:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/vh1-classic-brings-the-heat-this-september-100977894.html

Glad you can sleep now, Kurt- I was concerned. :vogue:

:lol:

As always thank you for your little nuggets of info!

The Beach Boys ahead of Madonna? Give me a fucking break.

And I have no doubt in my mind if Kurt hadnt killed himself Nirvana would be on an episode of "Where Are They Now?"

i totally agree. Nirvana is only as "legendary" as they are because he killed himself. Their 1st album or 2 or whatever were great but they woulda became old and tired like every other 90s grunge band. I couldnt have seen them evolving. Pearl Jam were every but as hot and popular at the time yet dont even close to the kissing ass that Nirvana get. As for MJ I reeeeally think hes beyond overated. He only had like two really good albums (one that was legendary) but thats it lol. After 1983-84, I never got what the fuss and hype was about. It became about his look and freak behaviour more than the music and true evolution/ re-invention (like Madonna). Overall, I actually agree with most of this list but feel Elvis and Madonna most definitely shoulda been higher. Im happy shes the highest female, but still she made more of a mark on music and culture than the Beach Boys, Nirvana (again WHY are they ahead of M?) , Prince and the Who.

Guest nothingfails0603

Madonna's never going to rank higher than she already does because so much of "the rock establishment" still writes her off as a fluff pop starlet who has inexplicably lasted 25 years. Someone who doesn't like The Beatles or Stevie Wonder for instance isn't going to deny the fact that they are talented, but people who hate Madonna still consider her to be on the same level as Britney or Miley Cyrus, I see it on boards with more "rock" fans all the time. Apparantly Madonna went onstage with Bruce Springsteen in 1985 one night when their tour paths crossed and this one guy was freaking out because "I can't believe Bruce would allow that talentless hack onstage", well Bruce obviously saw something you didn't because Madonna's higher than he is on this list.

RE: The Beach Boys. Ignore the tacky old men in Hawaiian shirts that sing about being teenagers over the past 30 years, they're so high because of Pet Sounds and the talent of Brian Wilson, someone who has no part of that tacky over-the-hill touring act that sang Kokomo. The production and sound of Pet Sounds influenced Lennon and McCartney to do Sgt. Pepper, which definitely shows they have a permanent place in pop culture even if they are a sad tired relic of a long-gone-by era.

I am happy that Vh1 is airing something like this again though. Hopefully younger people that know little about Madonna will tune in because on shows like this they usually have a nice little montage of the artists work. Who wouldnt be in awe watching clips from the body of work Madonna has created? Like I have said I am sure this is what won a whole new generation over during the ROL era. MTV and Vh1 were always airing shows that highlighted Madonna's whole career.

Madonna's never going to rank higher than she already does because so much of "the rock establishment" still writes her off as a fluff pop starlet who has inexplicably lasted 25 years.

I dont know. I can easily see Madonna making the top 5 on a list like this in the future. Of course I think that will only happen when she sadly passes away one day.

Guest nothingfails0603

I have this bad feeling that a lot of "rock-ist" music fans in other froums are going to be bitching that Madonna doesn't belong on the list, etc... much like how they moped when she got into the Hall Of Fame even though for a 1980's artist she was every bit a "get in as soon as eligible" act as U2, REM, Prince and Metallica were.

I think its more gender than genre though because male pop stars of that caliber don't receive the same sort of hatred Madonna gets. The same people who are so quick to dismiss Madonna's career as being a fluke are willing to give MJ and George Michael credit (I don't say Prince because he's always been more genre-defying and always was "cool" to critics who hate pop).

I have this bad feeling that a lot of "rock-ist" music fans in other froums are going to be bitching that Madonna doesn't belong on the list, etc... much like how they moped when she got into the Hall Of Fame even though for a 1980's artist she was every bit a "get in as soon as eligible" act as U2, REM, Prince and Metallica were.

I think its more gender than genre though because male pop stars of that caliber don't receive the same sort of hatred Madonna gets. The same people who are so quick to dismiss Madonna's career as being a fluke are willing to give MJ and George Michael credit (I don't say Prince because he's always been more genre-defying and always was "cool" to critics who hate pop).

I agree, I bet the list has about 10 times more male acts than female acts.

You pretty much said it.

1. She's a woman

2. She's a "pop star"

3. She uses sex to sell herself

She could've wrote Imagine, Stairway To Heaven and Billie Jean and she'd still have some of the same ones claiming she doesn't deserve her spot in RRHOF or any other lists such as this.

Guest nothingfails0603

I agree, I bet the list has about 10 times more male acts than female acts.

I have no doubt.

We'll probably have besides M. Aretha, Tina, Joni Mitchell, Janis, possibly someone like Donna Summer. And for groups maybe Blondie, Supremes, Fleetwood Mac and ABBA (and notice only one of those was all-female). The rest will probably be a rock and roll boys club.