The LAP campaign

Aime

Has the Oh Father US 7" single with cover ever surfaced? Supposedly, there was a limited batch.

really? was there a tentative Oh Father with cover in the US?!?!?

I've never read that Madge and Pat were devastated over OF's performance. I know that Pat did say that OF was his favorite track of their collaborations (up to that point). I can't imagine M being THAT upset over breaking a streak- she had to know that OF, while empowering, wasn't exactly the most radio-friendly track, especially following "Cherish." However, I can't imagine her not releasing OF- it and the video are part of what separates her form the pack. Same goes for "Dear Jessie"- less so for the video, of course. :p (though it is a cute clip that serves the song well)

However, I can't imagine her not releasing OF- it and the video are part of what separates her form the pack. Same goes for "Dear Jessie"- less so for the video, of course. :p (though it is a cute clip that serves the song well)

You have never been more correct.

I would say something similar for the balls she had to release "Bedtime Story" after the U.S. chart success of "Take A Bow."

Little Star was a double A-side?

in UK it was released with both songs named on the cover and spine of the cd. It even had a rare promo cd with artwork, same picture with a dark blue filter.

Guest bluejean

Well considering Live To Tell had been such a massive hit maybe they did except Oh Father to do well. It is a really good song but it's just so introspective and personal and I don't think people really connected to it outside of her fanbase. But it did represent the album very well. Maybe Til Death Do Us Part could have been a better choice?

POG and Liitle Star may have been billed as a double A-side but UK radio never played Little Star as a single. POG got the air play. Double a-sides haven't been used seriously for decades. The last one I have a conscious memory of was Mama v Who Do You Think You Are by the Spice Girls back in 1997. Both those songs got lots of play.

POG/LS was billed as a double A just to hoodwink potential buyers. Very contrived, lame and unconvincing.

Maybe Til Death Do Us Part could have been a better choice?

Only Keep It Together had potencial to be a single but it's not as good single as LAP, EY or Cherish. Warner was very wise to stop the machine and release Vogue. That made those couple of years her most succesful ones EVER.

really? was there a tentative Oh Father with cover in the US?!?!?

Yes, this is the cassette single version. oh.jpg (Courtesy of madonnarchives)

But I've never seen a single version although it was rumoured to exist. The French version is the same as the US Keep It Together maxi single.

I think Oh Father would have worked at Christmas with the snowy video but when it was finally released it was too late and I don't think got much radio play.

Yes, this is the cassette single version. oh.jpg (Courtesy of madonnarchives)

I think Oh Father would have worked at Christmas with the snowy video but when it was finally released it was too late and I don't think got much radio play.

a chirstmas single? with that theme? and the video with the dead mother? mmmmmmm...

Sorry - my wording wasn't the best! I didn't mean to imply that Madonna and Pat were devastated *because* "Oh Father" broke the streak - I just meant that when it wasn't a big hit, they were devastated. My fault....sorry!!! I was just pointing out that it was the single that broke her streak. Even if it had been a Top 5 single for her, KIT would have broken the streak in early 1990 anyway.

I have no idea what you are talking about. "Like A Prayer" was a darker, more serious-sounding song. The video matched that feel. "Express Yourself" was about self-empowerment, and the video matched. "Cherish" was a light and bouncy summer song, and the video matched. Did you want her to be a Catholic nun for all of them? :confused:

I was thinking the exact same thing. :rotfl:

Anyway, look at the varying styles and looks for the singles on True Blue. In fact, pretty much all her albums post Madonna.

I really enjoyed the LAP era, regardless of how well the songs did. I remember the "Oh Father" video being played on MTV. It was probably more of a visual single than a radio single.

:)

a chirstmas single? with that theme? and the video with the dead mother? mmmmmmm...

It would have worked when it first was released as Radio 1 were much more diverse then. By the mid-nineties, Radio 1 was changing and slow records don't really get a look in unless they are RnB. I think it would have worked perfectly in the winter period. Much better than a summer tune.