Did Madonna copy Cyndi Lauper?

Niitsitapi

Cyndi sure seems to think so and says it was annoying "here and there". She also says she wore the corset to free the binding of women while Madonna simply thought it looked good on her. These are a lot of assumptions and I think she's just trying to undermine Madonna by making her seem like an airhead. Thoughts?

But Madonna pre-dates Cyndi by a year (I know she was in a band but they were virtually unknown) Cyndi failed music-wise and her image didn't develop until the early 90's.

That was the style back then. Everyone dressed that way. The Lower East Side was filled with Disco/Punk kids with altered hand me down or thrift shop clothes. They were poor and struggling and passionate. Madonna just became the model for that look and feel. She represented it best.

So sad that there is no art scene in NYC anymore. That was a beautiful time for the big apple.

Edited by stumble upon

Cyndi sure seems to think so and says it was annoying "here and there". She also says she wore the corset to free the binding of women while Madonna simply thought it looked good on her. These are a lot of assumptions and I think she's just trying to undermine Madonna by making her seem like an airhead. Thoughts?

what's really sad in that last video....is the 4 fans....waiting outside the window!!! hahahahahaha! ooooooooooooooooh cyndi.

Well if Madonna stole Cyndi's look, Cyndi should have one uped her and stole Madonna's ability to create a hit song. That might have done her some good and maybe her last hit wouldnt have been in the 80s. :D

(By the way, I do like Cyndi and I do love alot of her 80s stuff)

She does seem a bit bitter in those vids but I don't think she feels like that now, she's more complimentary of M and I think there is some admiration of the length of career M has managed to sustain in such a fickle business!

I went to see Cyndi at her first Irish show 2 years ago and she was so good and as mad as ever. Her first show around the time of 12 deadly sins was cancelled due to poor ticket sales and the show I went to was in a venue with a capacity of 1,500.

I think they borrowed from each other but to say M didn't know what she was doing is just pure jealousy!

Her first show around the time of 12 deadly sins was cancelled due to poor ticket sales

Surprised at that. She was doing really well then with that horrendous remake of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" which totally ruined an already very tired song.

I thought Madonna said she copied Bananarama? I can't remember which interview but you can see the transformation from the Everybody video to Burning Up and Lucky Star. Also, they both would have been on the New York club scene so it's not surprising they had similar styles.

As for Cyndi, she really didn't do much in the UK apart from GJWTHF.

what's really sad in that last video....is the 4 fans....waiting outside the window!!! hahahahahaha! ooooooooooooooooh cyndi.

:lol:

What I found odd was when Cindy said she wore the corset because it had a powerful and important message behind it, and Madonna wore it just to wear it, lol....

I know right? That's the part that annoyed me the most.

"Cyndi" can kiss my motherfucking gay azz

Worst piece of shit this woman, I swear

It's insulting to Madonna to even mention that thing with her in the same breath

Let me help you loomer DARL:

Kylie

Janet

Mariah

Gaga

Britney

Fannyfartina

Whitney

Barbra

Cher

J-Ho

Donna

Diana

et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, and in the midst of life we are in death et cetera!

None of them are worthy of walking the ground she walks on. Now I do love/like them all but let's be honest here.

:queenbitch:

I thought Madonna said she copied Bananarama?

Fuck no! Some idiots in the UK like Pete Fucking Waterman said that. :rolleyes: I meant to say this. But as someone else said above, this was just the style of the time. And Madonna predated Cindy anyhow. I don't remember CINDY wearing a cone bra. What corset is she talking about? The one from the "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" video? :blink:

Cyndi always reminds me of a worse US version of Kim Wilde. I like some Cyndi but she just never had the potential of Madonna or other 80's pop divas.

cyndi's the singer of "girls just want to have fun" right?

always loved that song though ;) but thats about it. hated her arrogant and always angry looking face in her clips.

I think it's a shame though that Mariah become soo successful and Cyndi didn't. (I know they started at different times but referring to them as Madonna's rivals.) At least she may have been a more worthy rival. (especially late 80's to early 90's Cyndi, after that it was all kinda bad tbh)

Cyndi + The Goonies = Classic 80s. :inlove:

Yeah, I agree.. It was quite a favorite at the time when the movie was released, brings back a lot of memories for me. Time after Time is the only other Cyndi song I liked.