Do you listen to The Immaculate Collection?

I used to play this collection to death. For us who grew up on Madonna from the beginning or almost from the beginning, this was the ultimate collection of her at the time. And maybe the mixes are considered "cheesy" today, it was da bomb back in the day. What was so special about this collection, this wasn't just an ordinary "Greatest Hits" from the Queen of pop at the time. She as usual did her own thing by mixing it up, and giving us something new on the classics. The Q-Sound like so much other new technology was supposed to take off. If you had a good system, you can really appreciate the "Q-sound" effect. I know I did. Of course, it doesn't compare to "Surround Sound" at his highest digital capacity these days, but back then, it was the shit. And let's face it, that collection is her biggest selling album to date. It was the ultimate Madonna collection to own at the time and for some years to come. It's still great to listen to, even though nothing won't beat the original versions.

I do when I'm in the mood for a Madonna hit single onslaught. Plus they all sound more cohesive and flow better than say GHV2 because her sound diversified a lot more in the 90s. It really is the best and most satisfying GH ever (maybe along with ABBA Gold).

Guest nothingfails0603

I used to play this collection to death. For us who grew up on Madonna from the beginning or almost from the beginning, this was the ultimate collection of her at the time. And maybe the mixes are considered "cheesy" today, it was da bomb back in the day. What was so special about this collection, this wasn't just an ordinary "Greatest Hits" from the Queen of pop at the time. She as usual did her own thing by mixing it up, and giving us something new on the classics. The Q-Sound like so much other new technology was supposed to take off. If you had a good system, you can really appreciate the "Q-sound" effect. I know I did. Of course, it doesn't compare to "Surround Sound" at his highest digital capacity these days, but back then, it was the shit. And let's face it, that collection is her biggest selling album to date. It was the ultimate Madonna collection to own at the time and for some years to come. It's still great to listen to, even though nothing won't beat the original versions.

I agree. I used to play it to death in 90-91. Not so much now but at the time it was great to have many of the hits (even then I realized how many were missing) in one package and the q-sound mixes, which I agree do not hold up compared to the originals, gave the songs a bit of a makeover at the time. But of course if I want to hear the songs today I'll go for the original mixes.

I haven't listened to it in a long time. But, I use to listen to it non-stop after it came out and for a long long time afterwards. It's definitely one of my most played Greatest Hits albums.

I agree. I used to play it to death in 90-91. Not so much now but at the time it was great to have many of the hits (even then I realized how many were missing) in one package and the q-sound mixes, which I agree do not hold up compared to the originals, gave the songs a bit of a makeover at the time. But of course if I want to hear the songs today I'll go for the original mixes.

"Makeover" is a great word. In fact, I felt the Immaculate Collection, kinda picked up off where You Can Dance left off with the remixing, but offered even better sound at the time. The thing is that if radio stations played the mix of any of those songs from Immaculate versus the original radio edits, most average listeners wouldn't even care about the difference. Essentially, the classic song is there. Only to a rabid fan would they hear the real difference. And I guess back in the day, whenever I heard the newer mixes (as a fan), I just enjoyed it, and never thought... "Oh gawd, this is the worst mix ever of the song". Again, essentially the song is there, with a slight make-over. Only this many years later, I can now say... "Wow! You can't compare to the original!"

Who needs TIC now that we have CELEBRATION? :wow:

I suspect that is precisely what Madonna and camp thought as well since they pretty much wiped it off the market. It's too bad that Celebration will never measure to the same success Immaculate did and it does pretty much feature all of her definitive hits.

I actually really love this album! :thumbsup: The Material Girl mix was bad, but the others were okay! I tend to love radio mixes better than album versions anyway. And that version of Into The Groove is SO much better than the one of Celebration. :angel:

I suspect that is precisely what Madonna and camp thought as well since they pretty much wiped it off the market. It's too bad that Celebration will never measure to the same success Immaculate did and it does pretty much feature all of her definitive hits.

I think it's odd that Madonna did not include "I'll Remember" or "This Used To Be My Playground" on Celebration. Yes, I realize that they are ballads and are available on 'Something To Remember' but TUTBMP was a #1 hit here in the U.S & IR was #2 for 4 weeks. Yet she has included "Crazy For You" on 3 collections now.

I think it's odd that Madonna did not include "I'll Remember" or "This Used To Be My Playground" on Celebration. Yes, I realize that they are ballads and are available on 'Something To Remember' but TUTBMP was a #1 hit here in the U.S & IR was #2 for 4 weeks. Yet she has included "Crazy For You" on 3 collections now.

I thought that was odd too. I love these two songs. In fact, if someone asked me which song from the past I go back and listen to the most, it's always "I'll Remember". And it's sad too that neither song is ever played in concert too.

Yeah, I thought it was an odd exclusion as well when "Miles Away" and "Hollywood" which weren't really big hits for her yet included anyway. I suspect it was to preserve "Something To Remember" since that is a beautiful ballad collection to own. And I can almost understand using "Hollywood" to represent the American Life since "Die Another Day" is the only other track included from AL, but "Miles Away" (while a nice inclusion), wasn't necessary for me.

All in all, I still think CELEBRATION is the definitive Madonna collection.