Top 5 Madonna moments of the decade

acko

1. Brixton 2000 - purely because I was in the audience!

2. Confessions Tour

3. Hung Up at the EMAs

4. WIFLFAG - video and remix

5. Late 2005 Face - make up or plastic surgery - she looked fantastic and years younger.

A big :thumbsup: for this one.

Sorry but the 'back where she belongs thing' is really, very dumb. She belongs on stage. Madonna is a star, not a neighbour.

1. Like A Virgin - Confessions Tour - the outfit is stunning the mix incredible
  2. Erotica - Confessions Tour Remix
  3. Give It To Me - Original and Oakenfold Remix - an underrated classic
  4. Madonna's look with Lady GaGa on SNL - phwoar for Barbarella
  5. The fantastic remixes of Music that means I'm still listening to that single nearly ten years on

These are the ones that spring to mind.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Sorry but the 'back where she belongs thing' is really, very dumb.

Well, when it comes to dumb I guess you'd be the expert. :thumbsup:

Well, when it comes to dumb I guess you'd be the expert. :thumbsup:

Oh, come on. You must know yourself that saying she is 'where she belongs' is juvenile. Nobody MADE her set up camp in the UK. She just loved it here. It's not like she has a solid address at the moment anyway. I guess she's just making business simple.

Thumbs up to this thread :thumbsup:

The summarizing of the Madonna decade is a really good way to really see how much she has achieved these 10 years, amazing.

I'm too tired to list 5, but on the top part of my list is definitely the opening of the confessions tour. Truly creative.

The whole Music/Cool Britannia/Madge phase deserves some recognition 2.

After ROL she got some of that 'fun' back with Music, & She was obviously very

happy in her personal life. The public totally embraced her, she was deemed cool,

had artistic cred and commerical appeal. Plus people finally viewed her as one of the greats.

All that cumulated, 4 me at least, in the wonderful Baby fat Brixton Academy gig :

feel the electricity :

She lost a bit of that magic circa 'American Life.' I think her kaballah tabloid persona took over,

& the whole lady of the manor thing pissed off a lot of people (read : americans :chuckle: )

ufg_gb3.jpg

2000 . MUSIC album - the hype starting in mixmag and the album being one of her most creative and weird.

ukmix00_big.jpg

2001 . DROWNED WORLD TOUR - the NME likened it to a lower east side punk art exhibition or something as equally amazing.

tourposter_la.jpg

2003 . X-STATIC PROCESS Dietch Projects art exhibition/opening of REINVENTION TOUR - dark amazing shit.

xstatic_process_exhibtion_poster.jpg

2005 . Confessions on a Dancelfoor - Amazing dance album, critics were shitting themselves with delight and it included Get Together.

MadonnaConfessionsLiner-707329.jpg

2006 . STICKY & SWEET WORLD TOUR in south america/ STEPHEN KLEIN shoot - just because everything about it was fucking massive and the shoot was cool.

fass_madonna_08_h%5B8%5D.jpg

2000 . MUSIC album - the hype starting in mixmag and the album being one of her most creative and weird.

ukmix00_big.jpg

2001 . DROWNED WORLD TOUR - the NME likened it to a lower east side punk art exhibition or something as equally amazing.

tourposter_la.jpg

2003 . X-STATIC PROCESS Dietch Projects art exhibition/opening of REINVENTION TOUR - dark amazing shit.

xstatic_process_exhibtion_poster.jpg

2005 . Confessions on a Dancelfoor - Amazing dance album, critics were shitting themselves with delight and it included Get Together.

MadonnaConfessionsLiner-707329.jpg

2006 . STICKY & SWEET WORLD TOUR in south america/ STEPHEN KLEIN shoot - just because everything about it was fucking massive and the shoot was cool.

fass_madonna_08_h%5B8%5D.jpg

great list..I love that Mixmag interview.

Madonna: London Earl's Court - NME

By the time she finishes a raucous version of "Candy Perfume Girl" three songs in by shouting "fuck off, motherfuckers", you know that Madonna's Drowned World Tour sets out to intimidate the audience as much as to entertain them. With a list of dark and arty references ranging from manga videos to Derek Jarman's ancient punk film Jubilee, this was never going to be a feel-good Greatest Hits show. A culture vulture par excellence, Madonna has always fuelled her mainstream pop with an avant garde sensibility, but Drowned World pushes that sensibility right in your face. It's a tribute to her incredible graft, magnetic appeal and, above all, her supreme ability at making pop music that this show is not taking place in a little art gallery off the Lower East Side, but at sold-out enormodomes around the world, the latest being the 15,000-capacity London Earl's Court.

And art is what it is - the choreography alone leaves any other pop show in the dust. After a stunningly exciting version of "Drowned World/Substitute For Love," sung (superbly - she's in fantastic voice throughout) by Madonna on a platform that rises up above the stage, a nine-strong troupe of gasmask-clad dancers take the stage for "Impressive Instant," some encased in rolls of black mesh. If the Royal Ballet performed in a rubber fetish club, this is what it would look like.

Then Madonna straps on her guitar and, practically cross-eyed with concentration, performs "Candy Perfume Girl." Courtney Love once famously accused her of being a vampire; as the song rises to a wall of white noise, you can only conclude that she had a point. Madonna, of course, would take this as the highest compliment. Whether pole dancing for "Beautiful Stranger," doing Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon-style martial arts in "Sky Fits Heaven" or rebooting "Holiday" to incorporate Stardust's "Music Sounds Better With You" (just as an enterprising bootlegger did a couple of years ago), Madonna stays creatively young by sucking the best out of the surrounding culture. Purists will carp, but it's a two-way thing. If most musicians put a tenth of the creative energy into their shows as Madonna has into this one, we would all be a lot better off.

However - as you've probably gathered by now - she didn't exactly do all the hits. By the time "La Isla Bonita" rolls around, the relief in the audience is palpable and Madonna also finally seems relaxed. An ecstatic encore of "Holiday" and "Music" (the latter medleyed with Kraftwerk's "Trans Europe Express") underlines how easily she could have brought the audience to collective orgasm by simply reeling out her classics. But it really wasn't that kind of show. Yes, the absence of "Like A Prayer" was criminal. But as an assertion of pop music's long lost ability to challenge and provoke, Drowned World couldn't have been better. Anyway, Madonna can keep all those old songs for her farewell tour. On current evidence, that should be in about 2040.

By the time she finishes a raucous version of "Candy Perfume Girl" three songs in by shouting "fuck off, motherfuckers", you know that Madonna's Drowned World Tour sets out to intimidate the audience as much as to entertain them. With a list of dark and arty references ranging from manga videos to Derek Jarman's ancient punk film Jubilee, this was never going to be a feel-good Greatest Hits show. A culture vulture par excellence, Madonna has always fuelled her mainstream pop with an avant garde sensibility, but Drowned World pushes that sensibility right in your face. It's a tribute to her incredible graft, magnetic appeal and, above all, her supreme ability at making pop music that this show is not taking place in a little art gallery off the Lower East Side, but at sold-out enormodomes around the world, the latest being the 15,000-capacity London Earl's Court.

And art is what it is - the choreography alone leaves any other pop show in the dust. After a stunningly exciting version of "Drowned World/Substitute For Love," sung (superbly - she's in fantastic voice throughout) by Madonna on a platform that rises up above the stage, a nine-strong troupe of gasmask-clad dancers take the stage for "Impressive Instant," some encased in rolls of black mesh. If the Royal Ballet performed in a rubber fetish club, this is what it would look like.

Then Madonna straps on her guitar and, practically cross-eyed with concentration, performs "Candy Perfume Girl." Courtney Love once famously accused her of being a vampire; as the song rises to a wall of white noise, you can only conclude that she had a point. Madonna, of course, would take this as the highest compliment. Whether pole dancing for "Beautiful Stranger," doing Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon-style martial arts in "Sky Fits Heaven" or rebooting "Holiday" to incorporate Stardust's "Music Sounds Better With You" (just as an enterprising bootlegger did a couple of years ago), Madonna stays creatively young by sucking the best out of the surrounding culture. Purists will carp, but it's a two-way thing. If most musicians put a tenth of the creative energy into their shows as Madonna has into this one, we would all be a lot better off.

However - as you've probably gathered by now - she didn't exactly do all the hits. By the time "La Isla Bonita" rolls around, the relief in the audience is palpable and Madonna also finally seems relaxed. An ecstatic encore of "Holiday" and "Music" (the latter medleyed with Kraftwerk's "Trans Europe Express") underlines how easily she could have brought the audience to collective orgasm by simply reeling out her classics. But it really wasn't that kind of show. Yes, the absence of "Like A Prayer" was criminal. But as an assertion of pop music's long lost ability to challenge and provoke, Drowned World couldn't have been better. Anyway, Madonna can keep all those old songs for her farewell tour. On current evidence, that should be in about 2040.

AMAZING REVIEW. as was their review of Confessions on a Dancefloor. If someone has that?

Guest chatty kathy

1) MJ tribute, 'So Did I' speech.

2) Induction RRHF unveiling of 'the cheeks'.

3) Confessions Tour

4) David Adoption/media firestorm

5) COAD offical release date

5. The leak of "Hung Up" - was without an iPod at the time, so I burned a CD and drove along a part of the Florida coast for about an hour blasting it on loop.

4. Sept. 19th, 2000 - the release of the "Music" album stateside. It was the first Madonna album I ever bought on day of release. I also asked this cool record store to hold several of their M promo items for me; they did. I no longer own any of it, as really, it was just crap. But it meant a lot to me at the time.

3. Coachella - First time I met Cristela even though we'd talked for years, same goes for Pud (and he was very sweet to have me stay with him and show me around LA), and ZOMBIE. Oh, lord. It was an awesome time. Met lots of great people, and honestly, that was all better than the event itself. It's relevant to this discussion, though, because without Madonna I wouldn't have met/gotten to know any of these people.

2. Confessions Tour - Saw her in Miami twice. I was right against the catwalk the second night, and made sure I was in front of the taped area of the stage (14th row) that marked where she'd stop and hold hands with some lucky fag or hag on both sides. I was one of the lucky fags! We held hands and sang part of "Get Together" to one another. :inlove: Thanks to Pud (and Zombie, I believe) for telling me to get to that specific spot. And to Cristela for not getting too upset when I shoved her out of the way. :)

1. Seeing her live for the first time (first Detroit date of the Drowned World Tour). I nearly passed out when she came out for "Drowned World/Substitute for Love." I couldn't believe I was in the same building as the woman I had loved and adored for so many years.

She's GOD.

• 3 weeks later...