Remove 5 projects from Madonnas career

DIRTY PIG

Removing her eyebrows in the DAD video (she looked ridiculous without them, I don't care about the "oh it was a classic Hollywood look" thing, it was a SHIT look for any time period)

Body of Evidence (HUGE mess of a film, dreadful shit)

I'd Rather Be Your Lover (Just embarrassing)

Her removing the American Life video

The Black Madonna shoot (I know she ended up not doing it and I know we haven't seen it, but the idea is just awful and she should've known better. That's too far, even for her)

The Deeper And Deeper video is awesome my favourite and I love the fact Madonna has no eyebrows and doesnt look beautiful. Makes the video more interesting, people just want something beautiful and glamourous like Vogue over and over and over and over again. Thats just fucking boring, bring on the interesting stuff!!!!!!

Not Releasing American Life Video

Next Best Thing

Swept Away

Hey You Song

Kaballah (It has definitely affected her career, and has been part of it ie: "I'm Going To Tell You A Secret")

It seems with Deeper & Deeper, and the Erotica time period, either people get it or they don't. To me she was at her most unconventional, gritty, and interesting.

This is a woman that prior to the dreadful books was a true leader in the pop world, a sluttly, risk taking genius then she (for a while) turned into a wimpering middle aged twat. no need.

Ridiculously extreme. She was evolving into a more reserved woman at the time of these books and motherhood was the reason behind this. I also feel like she was trying to prove that she could write something respectable for children when everyone has this "slutty, leader in the pop world" label tied to her. To say this wasn't a "risk" on her part is wrong. She certainly took a risk in doing this since the only book she did before this was a book full of nudity and sexual fantasies.

As for the topic at hand... I don't really find anything that appalling from her that I would change. Even she doesn't really regret her past, so why should we sit here and dissect what we think went wrong when in the end, she's still as successful as ever and those films, books or whatever other endeavors some don't like she's done, has basically allowed her to explore other genres and other art forms. I see nothing embarrassing about her children books. And obviously, they aren't that embarrassing because they are still quite popular.

Guest nothingfails0603

Why is everyone so down on the kids books? they're just books, they're not for people over the age of 10. It literally has nothing to do with anyone here.

I think a lot of people dislike the kids books because it's all she knows how to promote. She did Oprah in Sept 2003 and could've put AL back on the chart and maybe performed a song or two that could've erased the memory of the title track and could've gotten more people into the album, but yet she only talked about the freaking English Roses.

It's just like when HC was barely a week old and she was promoting I Am Because We Are even though it'd be another six months before anyone saw it instead of helping sell some copies of the new album she had out.

Guest nothingfails0603

Christopher Ciccone's birth

Kaballah (I always hate when pop stars get into religion... think Prince and Jehovah's Witness)

The Next Best Thing (Will And Grace: The Movie was a bad idea... most of her other bad movies were watchable)

Guy Ritchie (for making her temporarily boring)

childrens books

Ridiculously extreme. She was evolving into a more reserved woman at the time of these books and motherhood was the reason behind this. I also feel like she was trying to prove that she could write something respectable for children when everyone has this "slutty, leader in the pop world" label tied to her. To say this wasn't a "risk" on her part is wrong. She certainly took a risk in doing this since the only book she did before this was a book full of nudity and sexual fantasies.

As for the topic at hand... I don't really find anything that appalling from her that I would change. Even she doesn't really regret her past, so why should we sit here and dissect what we think went wrong when in the end, she's still as successful as ever and those films, books or whatever other endeavors some don't like she's done, has basically allowed her to explore other genres and other art forms. I see nothing embarrassing about her children books. And obviously, they aren't that embarrassing because they are still quite popular.

Well said

I think a lot of people dislike the kids books because it's all she knows how to promote. She did Oprah in Sept 2003 and could've put AL back on the chart and maybe performed a song or two that could've erased the memory of the title track and could've gotten more people into the album, but yet she only talked about the freaking English Roses.

It's just like when HC was barely a week old and she was promoting I Am Because We Are even though it'd be another six months before anyone saw it instead of helping sell some copies of the new album she had out.

I totally agree with you there!!! I couldn't believe at how she dropped HC and went straight on to promoting her documentary, it was mad!

Not Releasing American Life Video

Next Best Thing

Swept Away

Hey You Song

Kaballah (It has definitely affected her career, and has been part of it ie: "I'm Going To Tell You A Secret")

It seems with Deeper & Deeper, and the Erotica time period, either people get it or they don't. To me she was at her most unconventional, gritty, and interesting.

:shock: You made the plundge with your first post! :thumbsup:

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I totally agree with you there!!! I couldn't believe at how she dropped HC and went straight on to promoting her documentary, it was mad!

Shows you how much she didn't give a damn about HC to begin with. I always thought her heart wasn't in that project.

Shows you how much she didn't give a damn about HC to begin with. I always thought her heart wasn't in that project.

I honestly dont think thats it. I mean I doubt she would have performed almost every song from the album during her tour if that was the case. I just really think the release of her doc happened to land at the same time as her album and it just would have looked tacky at that time to plug her album in the same sentence as her doc.

Guest SuperBriGuy

Shanghai Suprise-I think Madonna should have done movies more akin to Desperately Seeking Susan where she played extensions of her persona for a while before tackling movies where she tried to play a role that was completely alien to her...like a missionary.

The Sex book-This book worked in tandem with Body Of Evidence in overshadowing her Erotica album. As a result people paid very little attention to the music (which was incredible) and COMPLETELY focused on her persona at the time.

Body Of Evidence-See above.

GHV2-There were songs that were sorely missing from the setlist, horrible edits, and no new songs. What the crap?

Not releasing the AL video-This greatly disappointed me...especially after seeing how incredible the original AL video was (I rank it with her best). Instead a crappy Dan-O-Rama version gets put in its place. Madonna had a chance to make a profound statement, one she hadn't really touched on before...

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I honestly dont think thats it. I mean I doubt she would have performed almost every song from the album during her tour if that was the case. I just really think the release of her doc happened to land at the same time as her album and it just would have looked tacky at that time to plug her album in the same sentence as her doc.

I'm sure she enjoyed the album. But it was never born from any inner desire to create something special to her. She needed to give Warner an album, and she aligned herself with the "hits makers" of now she was listening to because she had no other ideas to give out. Nothing more.

I'm sure she enjoyed the album. But it was never born from any inner desire to create something special to her. She needed to give Warner an album, and she aligned herself with the "hits makers" of now she was listening to because she had no other ideas to give out. Nothing more.

I agree there. She probably wanted to save her more experimental desires for Live Nation. (at least I hope so) We shall see.

SHANGHAI SURPRISE - ruined her early acting good buzz and helped ruin her marriage. Gloria Tatlock? I just can't see M as a Gloria.

Gloria Tatlock pwns the awful Nikki Finn

THE NEXT BEST THING - She wins a Golden Globe and finally has some hard earned respect for her acting and she craps all over it with this. It not only hurt her already frail acting career but it is also rumored to have killed the director. It strained her relationship with Rupert and it spawned American Pie too which is not great either.

:rotfl:

Such a shame what happened there. :( John Schlesinger was brilliant. Midnight Cowboy is the greatest.

Guest SuperBriGuy

Btw, people who wished SEX never happened are truly insane.

It's not that I didn't think it was a great project, just ill-timed. I would have much rather people focused on the album out at that point and not the fact that she had just released a coffee table book that focused on sex. Because in the end it should always go back to the music.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

It never ends well when people start speculating about what was going on in Madonna's head when she made Hard Candy.

She said it herself. Something about Warner wanting a record from her and her decided to go with Timbo and Timbertwat because she didn't have a solid idea of what direction she wanted to go in, she just knew what she was liking at the time. Justin also spoke about the earlier days of working with M and how their ideas didn;t really mesh as well right away, and how it took time for them to settle into a good creative space. It didn't sound as organic as it did when she worked with Stuart of Mirwais. I'm not taking this out of thin air. That's just what i got from HER when she spoke about the project.

It's not that I didn't think it was a great project, just ill-timed. I would have much rather people focused on the album out at that point and not the fact that she had just released a coffee table book that focused on sex. Because in the end it should always go back to the music.

This is why I laugh when people say Madonna only pushes buttons to sell records. Everytime the woman does something that gets people pissed off she always has a dip in her sales. LAP had some massive ass hits, but it never came close to the sales of True Blue. I have to wonder if she began to turn a large group of people off at that time with the video. Then came Erotica and I was too young at the time to really focus in on what was going on at that time but I am sure media coverage of her was in overdrive negative or not. The album "bombed" compared to her other records. Then came American Life and we all know how that turned out. Dont get me wrong, I love my girl when she is pushing buttons but I cant think of a time when it resulted in huge album sales.

(well I guess Justify My Love, but that was probably due to horny men. Not people that were into the song. :lol: )

She said it herself. Something about Warner wanting a record from her and her decided to go with Timbo and Timbertwat because she didn't have a solid idea of what direction she wanted to go in, she just knew what she was liking at the time. Justin also spoke about the earlier days of working with M and how their ideas didn;t really mesh as well right away, and how it took time for them to settle into a good creative space. It didn't sound as organic as it did when she worked with Stuart of Mirwais. I'm not taking this out of thin air. That's just what i got from HER when she spoke about the project.

Just because she didn't have a solid idea of where she was going musically, doesn't mean her heart wasn't in the project she ended up doing. It's ridiculous to think she would record an entire album of songs she felt nothing for....just to give Warners an album. Whether the end product sounded as organic as when she worked with Stuart or Mirwais, is really an individual judgement. Your statement that she just wanted to give Warners an album, is just you projecting your own dislike of the album.