Madonna's relevancy

Kurt420

I Will Accept that "Madonna Isn't The Talk of the Town like She used to be."

But To Say She's Lost ALL Relevancy is Just Not True.

She's a Bad Bitch Regardless, And Her Popularity with EVERYONE ELSE Really doesn't Matter (To Me at least. :horn: )

And to add to what I said on the previous page - I think Madonna is handling the "old" thing quite well. She goes through phases of looking totally ridiculous (and I choose to believe she knows it), then going through phases where she seems totally cool and laid back, like she is now. I actually really applaud the whole Jesus Luz thing. I think it shows she still has that spiciness about her. If anything, her being a cougar will keep her in the tabloids. But other than that, Madonna's kind of in the sunset of her career right now. And I personally am not bothered by it. I am looking forward to hearing and seeing more of her.

Relevant or not, Madonna has hung onto a huge portion of the spotlight more so then any recording artist in history if you ask me in terms of the generations of people she reaches. Just go to any Madonna show and you see people of ALL ages there. Yes in America it has obviously been down hill in terms of her having mega hits since MUSIC the album came out. Confessions was big here and Hung Up made a huge impact but it never went on to become the behemoth it was in the rest of the world. Madonna is a touring act now. No big deal. Will she one day have another mega hit in America again? Maybe. But the misses from here on out are going to far outweigh the hits.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Lmao at those who say that Gaga is more relevant, isn't she the one playing in venues for like 5.000 people? :lmao::rolleyes:

You're missing the point mate. That wasn't the point being made :rolleyes:

And to add to what I said on the previous page - I think Madonna is handling the "old" thing quite well.

I think it would be a more 'Madonna' thing to do to feel more comfortable in her (older) skin and not get her cheeks blown up and buy herself a brazilian toy. Its like middle aged men who dye their hair and get a convertible sports car. Everyone just laughs at them. Insecurity doesnt become her.

But I dont want to derail the subject. This is about Kurts enjoyment of Madonna being ruined by the worlds perception of her :horn:

Tell me about it. But then again I'm not too surprised. As with other artists of her calibre (most notably Michael Jackson), Madonna has a lot of fans who simply want to live vicariously in her 'bubble' forever. They want to believe that it's still 1985 and girls dress up like her. They want to believe that it's still 1992 and the whole world is at the palm of her hand for the pure shock factor of SEX. And so on and so forth. They know this is not the case but they just refuse to accept it.

Which is why people like Britney Spears and Lady GaGa make them uncomfortable. Because, at this moment in time, they are more relevant than Madonna. Doesn't mean they will still be relevant in 10 years of course, but let's not go there.

That's kind of insulting. I'm not an idiot, I am WELL AWARE Madonna isn't the "hot property" of the moment or the "it" girl, that girls are dressing like her or that she's THE gossip on everyone's lip. But just because she's not THAT girl right now (and she hasn't been in ages) doesn't mean she's irrelevant.

I'm also not uncomfortable with Brit or Gaga, they are certainly relevant but when Madonna is outdoing them on nearly every front except being the "it" girl or "hot gossip" of the moment then it baffles me how her very own fans could say she's irrelevant. Just because the kids aren't all abuzz about Madonna doesn't mean she's irrelevant.

Hard Candy outsold Circus worldwide - granted not by a lot - but it did. It also outsold Kanye West's last record, the Jonas Brothers, and Mariah's E=MC2. All of those artists were considered very relevant in the pop culture climate. So sales-wise, she's still quite a powerhouse. Celebration (the album) is also on track to sell more than a lot of other current performers this year and it was only JUST released.

She was one of the first major artists to move to a 360 deal with a concert promoter in 2007. Her W Magazine cover with Jesus Luz sold out all copies within 1 month of being released. She worked with Stuart Price on her album in 2005 and now he's producing for the Killers and the Scissor Sisters - so obviously she can still spot a fresh sound.

I'd argue she has lasting relevance simply because she has such a dominant legacy and because she keeps going. If relevance to you is only having #1 hits in the U.S. only, then I guess she's not relevant anymore - but I think that is a very narrow way to look at it.

The very fact that people compare her to current up-and-coming talent is a sign that she is STILL the gold standard that all others are held to. I never read one article that said "Is Lady GaGa the new Janet Jackson?" When you are no longer relevant, people just stop talking about you altogether.

You nailed it! :thumbsup:

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I wouldn't say Madonna is handling the old thing well at all :lol: a few hits, but A LOT of misses. This next decade will be interesting, if anything.

I can't say the cliche job of being a cougar with a boy toy is all that exciting or interesting really.

I think it would be a more 'Madonna' thing to do to feel more comfortable in her (older) skin and not get her cheeks blown up and buy herself a brazilian toy. Its like middle aged men who dye their hair and get a convertible sports car. Everyone just laughs at them. Insecurity doesnt become her.

I agree with you on this one, and it does sadden me. I always thought she'd rebel against this type of cliche, but ultimately she's only human and let's cut her some slack, she did go through a divorce, so she needs to cope somehow I guess.

But yes, this is a whole different conversation.

But I dont want to derail the subject. This is about Kurts enjoyment of Madonna being ruined by the worlds perception of her :horn:

I guess I've just accepted the plastic surgery at this point. She's obviously insecure about her age but in other ways, her ability to go on TV/radio and admit that she's happy never marrying again and admitting that she likes younger guys just seems ballsy and cool of her. She seems comfortable being a cougar. It would be one thing if she was planning on marrying again or being all boo-hoo about her divorce and looking a mess. But she takes good care of herself and looks hot and I think she knows it for the most part. I like Madonna this way.

You're missing the point mate. That wasn't the point being made :rolleyes:

:lmao:

So now one is more relevant because you are being put in magazines by a couple of editors who decide WHO or what is the hottest thing or because the record company is buying some publicity but when people chooses one and grants that people an album that sold better than that of the ones being talked about and when they give that person the biggest solo tour ever you become irrelevant.

From Suedehead: I saw you sneakily edit out the personal insult. Your warn level has been raised. Some of us are having a proper conversation in here. Get out if that's too much for you.

Edited by Suedehead

I wouldn't say Madonna is handling the old thing well at all :lol: a few hits, but A LOT of misses. This next decade will be interesting, if anything.

I can't say the cliche job of being a cougar with a boy toy is all that exciting or interesting really.

Shrug. I like that she's open about it. Dating men her age would be - as she put it - boring. Let her have her fun. That's what she's always been about. Having a good time.

I'm also not uncomfortable with Brit or Gaga, they are certainly relevant but when Madonna is outdoing them on nearly every front except being the "it" girl or "hot gossip" of the moment then it baffles me how her very own fans could say she's irrelevant. Just because the kids aren't all abuzz about Madonna doesn't mean she's irrelevant.

Erm, yes it does! To a certain extent, it absolutely does matter what the kids think because that's the nature of it in the music industry. And Madonna has always been a pop artist, so the youth element is very important.

And I'm sorry but you're wrong about Madonna 'outdoing' her peers in every other front apart from column inches. But again, this is not the point at all, and I hate the way some of you have to bring it into the discussion, so I won't go there.

God, it's like going round and round in circles here...

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy
:lmao:

What's funny? the fact that you missed the point?

Are you capable of actually discussing something or will you just laugh for no reason? :manson:

<div><object width="480" height="389"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4acda&related=0"></param><param'>http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4acda&related=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4acda&related=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="389" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></object><br /><b><a href=</div></b>

I thought she was most annoying/arrogant during the American Life era, with her ‘profound’ message that war was bad. But in that interview she was at her best - honest, strong and vulnerable. It’s interviews like that, that remind me why I idolize her above any other person.

A huge part of Madonna's public and (I think) self image has always depended on being sexual. Even in the Hollywood video she writhes around in a push up bra, so it's hardly surprising she doesn't want to give that up. Personally I think it would be cooler if she would follow Angelica Houston's example and just aim to look magnificent -in it's broadest sense, not like some panting 21 yr old nymphette. However, it's not really for me to judge -I take what looks I have for granted; I have no idea how I'll feel when I don't look the same any more. It's not something I anticipate with relish. I guess if she had a partner who loved her unconditionally, she might have felt secure enough to age semi naturally, but she doesn't, so I don't anticipate any grey hairs or laughter lines to apear any time soon.

Erm, yes it does! To a certain extent, it absolutely does matter what the kids think because that's the nature of it in the music industry. And Madonna has always been a pop artist, so the youth element is very important.

Well, if being a BUZZ with the kiddies is what makes one relevant, then Madonna has been irrelevant since 1988 when Paula Abdul was the new darling of the pop world. Or in the early-to-mid 90's when everyone was saying Courtney Love was the new IT girl with the teen set. Heck, if that is the measurement we are using, Miley Cyrus is the Queen of Relevance now (yikes).

I think there is a fine line between "relevance" and simply being something new that people will gawk at for awhile.

That's kind of insulting. I'm not an idiot, I am WELL AWARE Madonna isn't the "hot property" of the moment or the "it" girl, that girls are dressing like her or that she's THE gossip on everyone's lip. But just because she's not THAT girl right now (and she hasn't been in ages) doesn't mean she's irrelevant.

Look people including myself have explained what we consider to be RELEVANCE time and time again. Obviously its not something that can be quantified and if youre not willing to accept whats plainly obvious then no one can convince you.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Personally I think it would be cooler if she would follow Angelica Houston's example and just aim to look magnificent -in it's broadest sense, not like some panting 21 yr old nymphette.

Agreed. I've always thought Angelica was aging well. She's very cool [without trying].

No one likes getting older, so I'm baffled as to why anyone would think Madonna should somehow be different from the rest of us?? :wacko: Women in the entertainment industry have a much harder time with the perception of aging, than their male counterparts...especially when they have been lauded for their beauty and sex appeal like Madonna. Did people really expect her to get wrinkled, stop exercising, and "grow old gracefully"?? She did none of that, and people still call her a hag. The media can't mention her name, without bringing up her age. Is she going through a midlife crisis? maybe..perhaps. So what? As far as her relationship with Jesus goes, none of us no what is going on between them. To claim she bought him is insulting and sexist. Perhaps they're in love or just lust. Does it really matter? Happiness is where you find it, so good for her.

No one here is threatened by Gaga. I know I'm not, since I actually have grown to like her. i think she's great, and super talented....a real breath of fresh air, in the current pop landscape. However, she hasn't invented or created shit. Wearing kooky outfits, and pandering to 20 year old gays (who seem to believe they will be 20 forever), is cute, but the jury is still out. The Fame had two or three great tracks, but the rest was filler. I am looking forward to where she goes next though.

Well, if being a BUZZ with the kiddies is what makes one relevant, then Madonna has been irrelevant since 1988 when Paula Abdul was the new darling of the pop world. Or in the early-to-mid 90's when everyone was saying Courtney Love was the new IT girl with the teen set. Heck, if that is the measurement we are using, Miley Cyrus is the Queen of Relevance now (yikes).

I think there is a fine line between "relevance" and simply being something new that people will gawk at for awhile.

So what is YOUR definition of relevance? Actually I think Miley Cyrus is a good example. She sells by the shitload but I really dont consider her influential or relevant in any way.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

No one here is threatened by Gaga. I know I'm not, since I actually have grown to like her. i think she's great, and super talented....a real breath of fresh air, in the current pop landscape. However, she hasn't invented or created shit. Wearing kooky outfits, and pandering to 20 year old gays (who seem to believe they will be 20 forever), is cute, but the jury is still out. The Fame had two or three great tracks, but the rest was filler. I am looking forward to where she goes next though.

She hasn't invented anything. But to dismiss her influence atm is also inaccurate. There is a whole list of JUST DANCE and POKER FACE copies floating around at the moment. Not to mention already established artists randomly putting on "weirdo" outfits to stand out.

But that's a GaGa topic :)

"There Was a time I Was Famous In this Life.

There was a Time I Believed I'd Be Important..."

"OH GAGA, What Have you done to Me?

You CAME ALONG and stole all of my RELEVAN-CY"

motherandfather1.jpg

"I've Got to GIve it Up...

Find Someone Who Knows Me."

No one likes getting older, so I'm baffled as to why anyone would think Madonna should somehow be different from the rest of us?? :wacko: Women in the entertainment industry have a much harder time with the perception of aging, than their male counterparts...especially when they have been lauded for their beauty and sex appeal like Madonna. Did people really expect her to get wrinkled, stop exercising, and "grow old gracefully"?? She did none of that, and people still call her a hag. The media can't mention her name, without bringing up her age. Is she going through a midlife crisis? maybe..perhaps. So what? As far as her relationship with Jesus goes, none of us no what is going on between them. To claim she bought him is insulting and sexist. Perhaps they're in love or just lust. Does it really matter? Happiness is where you find it, so good for her.

So the answer is to turn into a pulled, puffy cliche? And I dont think her legs akimbo ways of the past year or so make her sexy. Rather kind of desperate and ridiculous. As far as her relationship with Jesus as you said no one knows whats going on but I cant see how a 22 year old could be in love with anyone, much less someone old enough to be their mother. And certainly her flying him around the world first class, getting her designer friends to use him and giving him a taste of the high life on her own dime certainly isnt helping.

She hasn't invented anything. But to dismiss her influence atm is also inaccurate. There is a whole list of JUST DANCE and POKER FACE copies floating around at the moment. Not to mention already established artists randomly putting on "weirdo" outfits to stand out.

But that's a GaGa topic :)

I'm not dismissing her influence, but to state that every artist who decides to wear a kooky outfit is stealing from Gaga is just LOON talk. She didn't invent bad taste.

<div><object width="480" height="389"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4acda&related=0"></param><param'>http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4acda&related=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x4acda&related=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="389" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></object><br /><b><a href=</div></b>

Aww, the infamous "Britney Pears" interview :rotfl:

SIDEBAR: God, just how awful is "American Life" (the song) in retrospect? It's one of those things that just gets worse and worse as time goes on.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I'm not saying they are STEALING. I'm just saying that GaGa presenting her image the way she does could inspire other acts to reach into their "look at me" box a little more. Considering a couple of them HAVE all of a sudden done that COULD mean they probably have their eye on her. That's all.