S&S - Budapest, Hungary - August 22

Nightshade

I have no idea if this is 100% accurate, but this article (in Hungarian) seems to suggest that Madonna's concert at Kincsem Park (a horse track) in Budapest is being moved to Puskas Ferenc Stadium (a football stadium with capacity of 69,000).

<a href="http://www.stop.hu/articles/article.php?id=522971" target="_blank">http://www.stop.hu/articles/article.php?id=522971</a>

Seems weird to move it less than 1 month before the show. Although better to move than cancel, I guess. Anyone going to the Budapest show? If it's true, I wonder if they are letting people know.

Allegedly there are talks about a possible move.

The capacity of Kincsem Park said to be 60.000-70.000, the Puskas Stadium only about 40.000 (it's in quite bad shape, the upper tiers are colsed down, because of being dangerous).

Edited by twd

Guest Danny86

News just in that the stadium seems to be unlikely, as only 9 days after the show there are gonna be important soccer matches so they won't allow the Madonna show to take place there.

Guest Danny86

Madonna.com:

July 27, 2009 New Venue for Budapest Show

If you are to attend the ‘Sticky & Sweet’ show scheduled in Budapest on August 22, please note that the show moves from Kincsem Park to Puskas Ferenc Stadion.

All tickets remain valid in the new venue!

GOLD and SILVER tickets remain in the same location in front of the stage. The ticket-holders should follow the signs “GOLD” and “SILVER” at the stadium.

The allocation for the BRONZE ticket owners will be on the grandstands, therefore closer to the stage and with a much better view. They should follow the signs „BRONZE” at the stadium.

The VIP ticket service remains exactly the same. The ticket-holders will receive a personal note about their exact seating location and parking place directly to their mailboxes.

All other seated ticket holders – as originally planned at Kincsem Park – will be on the tribunes facing the stage. They can get their new seat numbers at the Ticketpro central office (Budapest, VII. Károly krt. 9.) from July 31th until August 19th, or at the venue on the show day.

With the change of venue to the Puskas Ferenc Stadium tickets additional tickets are now available in the Ticketpro network, including new seated tickets. The new seated tickets can be purchased in all TicketPro outlets from July 31st.

For more info and maps, please visit www.livenation.hu.

Guest Danny86

Very unclear, but there's a huge discrepancy between ticket sales that are reported in the media. Some say she only moved 18,000 so it would have looked weird in a park for 60-70k, others say she moved close to 50k and they always wanted this venue but until now there was a soccer match scheduled for the same day.

Here's the new layout:

mad_hun.jpg

Fact is, the upper tier is FORBIDDEN to be used for any event, so AT MOST around 40,000 people could fit in, but they are not using some other seats either, so I'd say it's gonna be a Zaragoza-like attendance. Which is not surprising, considering the high ticket prices, although I must say that the Bronze tickets could sell a bit more, since it's better to sit higher when you're far, in the previous venue Bronze was standing far from the stage.

Guest boytoyville
This sucks. I thought she would move massive amounts in countries that have never seen her.

She has in most of them. It's one show and there is no confirmation that sales were bad. We just have to wait for the boxscore. Fact it as a whole the tour is performing at major highprofile blockbuster status.

Guest jamesshot

^^^ Well yeah. For any artist, this tour is doing blockbuster numbers. For Madonna, I am just a tad shocked she is having some problems moving tics in some of these countries. I mean, for Madonna, 30,000 is nothing. For everyone else 30,000 is usually 25,000 more than they can hope for. LOL.

Very unclear, but there's a huge discrepancy between ticket sales that are reported in the media. Some say she only moved 18,000 so it would have looked weird in a park for 60-70k, others say she moved close to 50k and they always wanted this venue but until now there was a soccer match scheduled for the same day.

I have my doubts about that reasoning. Zaragoza only sold 25,000-30,000 for a show held in a friggin' parking lot and that city has a stadium that can easily seat 34,000 (Estadio de La Romareda) and no one moved the show then.

It's the RECESSION.....and oversaturaton of the european market. Live nation should have focused their greed on Asia and Australia.

Not to mention Eastern Europe isn't exactly a gold mine for high per capita incomes. No offense to anyone who lives there. I am sure Live Nation worked out the economics already and it might be more profitable to move the show short distances and play for somewhat smaller audiences than to take it over to Japan or Australia (although I am sure she could pack multiple stadiums both places).

This sucks. I thought she would move massive amounts in countries that have never seen her.

Ticket sales in Budapest are probably better than expected and that's why they moved to more suitable a venue and released additional tickets. As for other "new EU" countries, 75k tickets have already been sold in Warsaw for instance.

Guest Danny86

^Like I said, the capacity of the stadium is smaller, so there are no additional tickets released. Kincsem Park would have been essentially the same as Werchter, but they could not fill that amount with these prices. Especially the Bronze tickets sold badly, because they would have been VERY far from the stage. It seems it's their way to make the Bronze tickets more attractive. As seen on the layout, it's still gonna look like as if she was performing in a half-empty stadium. I think the Boxscores will say somewhere between 35-40,000 and it will be close to sellout.

Guest boytoyville

^ People always doubt these relativly "weak markets" and say things like "half empty stadium" but it never happens. I mean that stadium is so run down that the upper tiers are not permited to be used until it's renovated or knocked down. Like you said there will probably be over 30,000 people there which is more than impressive for the tickets prices in that market. No where was it every stated that the venue was being moved because of poor ticket sales. It could be for secuirty,safety,operational, logistic, for convienence reasons. They moved Madonna's Red Square show in Moscow to a stadium during confessions due to security reasons. These things happen and it's not always because of "low ticket sales".

the tickets are expensive for a lot of people: maybe if they were, the concerts, in smaller places where you have the guarantee to see the show...but people are not going to pay 75 euros to see nothing.

and, by the way, in zaragoza she sold 35.000 tickets

Guest Danny86

I think it's simply that the Bronze tickets were not selling. Everyone in Hungary is aware of how the Vienna show went down, many complaints about people standing far from the stage and not seeing anything, so they did not want any of that at these prices. Now that they are seating, it's a different story. Of course Gold and 90% of Silver were sold, because the hardcore fans do pay that much to be near her.

LN admitted they could not have filled the park with 65-70,000, but now they expect 50,000 in the stadium, which is still a stretch, the final number will be definitely somewhere around 40,000. Of course LN would not admit they lost more than 20,000 potential ticket buyers.

MJ performed in the same venue on Sept 10, 1996, all the hyped up numbers were about 50-70,000 but I read in the end it was something 35-40,000 as well, even though not the whole upper tier was closed back then...

Guest Danny86

LN insists they got the stadium, but the soccer league still protests. There are rumours about cancellation, but this article reassures that the original venue would still be available.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2009...64571248896173/

BUDAPEST, Hungary, July 29 (UPI) -- U.S. pop star Madonna will perform at a Budapest soccer stadium despite protests by the Hungarian Football Association, organizers said Wednesday.

If Madonna's show is held at the Puskas stadium, two years of work of the national soccer team could be ruined, Istvan Kisteleki of the Hungarian soccer association told the Hungarian news agency MTI.

The Hungarian national team is scheduled to play two major world cup qualification matches early in September and it would take more than 30 days to repair the turf on Budapest's Ferenc Puskas stadium after Madonna's concert Aug. 22.

Hungary is to play Sweden Sept. 5 and Portugal Sept. 9.

Lajos Vajto, the director of Budapest's Kincsem Park, the site for horse tracks, said the Madonna concert could be held on his facility if the Puskas soccer stadium refuses to stage the show.

Guest Danny86

I don't understand why Madonna.com & LN posted the news about venue Monday evening then!

Can it really get canceled? Even though it's not that successful, definitely not a flop date and they would have to refund like 30,000 tickets. Can LN afford that after losing a show and a stage already?

Guest boytoyville
LN admitted they could not have filled the park with 65-70,000, but now they expect 50,000 in the stadium, which is still a stretch, the final number will be definitely somewhere around 40,000. Of course LN would not admit they lost more than 20,000 potential ticket buyers.

^ Source?

Guest Danny86

There are no more English articles about this.

Representative of Live Nation Hungary is quoted here, saying the 69,000 capacity of the park would not have been filled.

http://velvet.hu/blogok/gumicukor/2009/07/...kincsem_parkot/

Depeche Mode performed in the stadium in front of 36,000 and in the Hungarian media that's widely called as full capacity. I don't know how they could make it to 50,000 for Madonna.

Depeche Mode performed in the stadium in front of 36,000 and in the Hungarian media that's widely called as full capacity. I don't know how they could make it to 50,000 for Madonna.

they will open more grandstands

Guest Danny86

Live Nation statement, posted on Madonna.com:

Live Nation Hungary is surprised at the issues that have arisen concerning the Madonna concert taking place at the Puskas Ferenc Stadium on August 22nd, as it followed the normal procedure in booking the Stadium, and received a signed, written confirmation from the Stadium management on July 21st.

In an effort to find a solution to the issues, the Vice-President of Live Nation in the region, Mr. Tim Dowdall, has requested a meeting with the President of the Hungarian Football Association, Mr. Istvan Kisteleki. This meeting will take place next week, at a time to be agreed. As a result, we will not be exchanging tickets from tomorrow as planned, but we hope to be able to do so after the meeting.

In the meantime, we would ask all Madonna’s fans in Hungary to remain calm. It is absolutely sure that the show will take place. We are all looking forward to an amazing Madonna concert in Budapest on August 22nd.