Why was Madonna not in "We are the world"?

Guest jamesshot

Guest nothingfails0603
I just don't think she was wanted there, at least going by what Dick Clark said about her appearing at Live Aid. Everyone thought she was a one trick pony/flash in the pan.

because La Toya Jackson was such a huge music superstar in 1985 :lmao:

Guest nothingfails0603
I've always felt she should have taken Cyndi's place. God her voice in that song :lol:

Cyndi was the best part of that damn song!!!

Guest nothingfails0603

If I'm to believe unauthorized biographies, she and Prince skipped out on We Are The World to have sex that night :lol:

Oh, Wikipedia says she was invited?

(where's the grain of salt smiley?)

it doesnt say it anymore. i fixed it!

Guest nothingfails0603

She's the only part of the song that stood out. Everyone else is being so serious and downbeat and depressing and then she comes in. Cyndi is the ONLY reason to ipod the song IMO. The rest of it is an embarrassing collision of 80's egos. Or do you hate her because she was Madge's only true "rival" at the time like you hate Prince for being Michael's rival at the time? LOL

Do They Know It's Christmas shits on We Are The World, but Cyndi alone makes WATW listenable, at least for those ten seconds.

She's the only part of the song that stood out. Everyone else is being so serious and downbeat and depressing and then she comes in. Cyndi is the ONLY reason to ipod the song IMO. The rest of it is an embarrassing collision of 80's egos. Or do you hate her because she was Madge's only true "rival" at the time like you hate Prince for being Michael's rival at the time? LOL

Do They Know It's Christmas shits on We Are The World, but Cyndi alone makes WATW listenable, at least for those ten seconds.

People are probably sounding serious because it's a SERIOUS SONG. Not "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun." :lol: God. The cartoony preteen voice works sometimes. Others, no. No.

Well, considering I don't hate Prince whatsoever (:confused:?), I guess I do feel the same way about Cyndi. 'Cause I like her too.

What was the deal with Prince not being in the song? Was he offered?

I always thought it was a half-assed produced, karoake friendly, tinny 80s tune -- def. a sedating shitfest of a song lol! sorry -- one of many of Ms earlier BEST, brilliant career moves! I think the BIGGER deal was M knockin WATW from #1 lol -- had a LOT of irony to it!! M, Prince and MJ were GOD(s) in '85 -- 2 out of 3 of them were simply to busy ruling the world to be part of such a cheesefest LOL.

What was the deal with Prince not being in the song? Was he offered?

prince was invited but was a no-show. he offered to add guitar to the song afterward but quincy jones declined. huey lewis was then given princes part to sing.

another interesting fact...

-john denver asked to be a part of watw but he was turned down. they felt that since he was a country act he would hurt the song.

i guess willie nelson isn't counrty enough

Guest Pud Whacker
prince was invited but was a no-show. he offered to add guitar to the song afterward but quincy jones declined. huey lewis was then given princes part to sing.

he sent sheila e in his place - she didnt even know the words - watch the video :rotfl:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

band aid is where it all began. that is the greatest of all those songs. its really been pissing me off how sharpton keeps saying if it wasnt for michael we wouldnt have LIVE AID, no, if it wasnt for bob geldof we wouldnt have LIVE AID or we are the world because michael bit geldof.

Guest waiting
Has nothing to do with being a "big fan" of the song/project. It's all to do with almost every post you make, you have to always add something negative. Oh but wait... I get it.. You're just "joking" or maybe I just need to "lighten up". Always the same excuse/justification. :manson:

Sorry, but I'm fine! I'm not the one who keeps purposely inserting negative connotations in all of my posts.

Why are you always criticizing people who criticize? Get over yourself. People have the right to voice their opinions if they don't like something.

Guest valhum
Why are you always criticizing people who criticize? Get over yourself. People have the right to voice their opinions if they don't like something.

:lol: hahaha i don't post that much or read that much but i soooo came to expect that from Neutrocks, complaining and blah :lol:

Guest Pud Whacker
Sexy.

oh yes. blame your precious jacko for not having this chronicled at we arent the world.

62e5dce2.jpg

Guest nothingfails0603

Personally, I'm glad M didn't do it. Yes, I guess it's something nice to say you were a part of, but when you look at it without nostaglia (which is what most of us look at it with, we were kids when it was out), it's truly the worst in 80's excess and ego. With Michael, Stevie, Springsteen, Ray Charles, Paul Simon, Lindsey Buckingham, Dylan, Billy Joel, Tina Turner, Cyndi and a handful of other, the project was loaded with a lot of unparalleled talent and should've been one of the best songs ever recorded just from all the names involved, but yet the final song couldn't have been more bland. I blame a lot of this on Lionel Richie being the co-songwriter. He had a few catchy songs in the day, but when you consider USA For Africa consisted of a few of America's all-time greatest living songwriters (Dylan!!! Simon!!! Springsteen!!! Stevie Wonder!!! Billy Joel!!!!), you wonder why MJ chose him to be the main collaborator instead. I know Lionel was red-hot in 84-85, but damn, he probably played a big part in making the song shit. Also, with all the talent involved, only Cyndi and Springsteen really got a chance to show off why audiences loved them, everyone else seemed to be so tiresome with the recording and it's probably because it was recorded so late at night.

It's good M and Prince (who did add "4 The Tears In Your Eyes" to the album) steered clear of the sessions because they sadly too wouldn't probably gotten lost in the blandness of it all.

Guest Pud Whacker
Personally, I'm glad M didn't do it. Yes, I guess it's something nice to say you were a part of, but when you look at it without nostaglia (which is what most of us look at it with, we were kids when it was out), it's truly the worst in 80's excess and ego. With Michael, Stevie, Springsteen, Ray Charles, Paul Simon, Lindsey Buckingham, Dylan, Billy Joel, Tina Turner, Cyndi and a handful of other, the project was loaded with a lot of unparalleled talent and should've been one of the best songs ever recorded just from all the names involved, but yet the final song couldn't have been more bland. I blame a lot of this on Lionel Richie being the co-songwriter. He had a few catchy songs in the day, but when you consider USA For Africa consisted of a few of America's all-time greatest living songwriters (Dylan!!! Simon!!! Springsteen!!! Stevie Wonder!!! Billy Joel!!!!), you wonder why MJ chose him to be the main collaborator instead. I know Lionel was red-hot in 84-85, but damn, he probably played a big part in making the song shit. Also, with all the talent involved, only Cyndi and Springsteen really got a chance to show off why audiences loved them, everyone else seemed to be so tiresome with the recording and it's probably because it was recorded so late at night.

It's good M and Prince (who did add "4 The Tears In Your Eyes" to the album) steered clear of the sessions because they sadly too wouldn't probably gotten lost in the blandness of it all.

oh of course, its trash. and im so happy that she did LIVE AID.

but - BUT - i wanted that look and outfit on video forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Guest nothingfails0603
but - BUT - i wanted that look and outfit on video forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

did you ever see the making of where Cyndi lost her earring and they had to halt recording so she could get it? LMAO.

I thought she only got asked to do Live Aid at the last minute too?

As the sinlge was record in January '85, M would have only had LAV out by then and probably would have been considered a flash in the pan. If you look at the line up, they were the really big icons of MOR.

* Lionel Richie

* Stevie Wonder

* Paul Simon

* Kenny Rogers

* James Ingram

* Tina Turner

* Billy Joel

* Michael Jackson

* Diana Ross

* Dionne Warwick

* Willie Nelson

* Al Jarreau

* Bruce Springsteen

* Kenny Loggins

* Steve Perry

* Daryl Hall

* Huey Lewis

* Cyndi Lauper

* Kim Carnes

* Bob Dylan

* Ray Charles

Extras

* Dan Aykroyd

* Harry Belafonte

* Lindsey Buckingham

* The News

* Sheila E.

* Bob Geldof

* Jackie Jackson

* LaToya Jackson

* Marlon Jackson

Extras

* Randy Jackson

* Tito Jackson

* Waylon Jennings

* Bette Midler

* John Oates

* Jeffrey Osborne

* The Pointer Sisters

* Smokey Robinson

* Rob Halford

She had a lucky escape and I can't imagine her having her arms around Harry Belafonte and Tito crooning into a microphone. I like history they way it was when she came in and dropped a lingerie covered bomb on the charts in '85!

Guest Pud Whacker
I thought she only got asked to do Live Aid at the last minute too?

the producers didnt want her there. the dude was saying, "shes only a dancer" and dick clark fought long and hard to get her on there. and thank god he did. another example of when she left her contemporaries in the dust.

it was at that moment when the disco tart turned into a stadium rock star. after getting a taste of that audience, her next tour was done at stadiums.

Guest Pud Whacker
As the sinlge was record in January '85, M would have only had LAV out by then and probably would have been considered a flash in the pan. If you look at the line up, they were the really big icons of MOR.

her and cyndi had the same amount of hits and time in the public eye.