Why was Madonna not in "We are the world"?

Guest jamesshot

Guest jamesshot

I have heard everything from "she wasn't invited" to "she turned the offer to appear on the song down flat".

Anyone know for sure?

Her and MJ were friends at the time ( judging from photos of them together at the time.) Her and Prince were the biggest names to not appear on the single.

Was she not at the AMAs, perhaps?

Or maybe she just heard the song beforehand...

always ready with a dig aren't ya... :thumbsdown::confused:

In any event, she was indeed invited, but there is no way of knowing why she didn't do it. What I do know is that she had a lot of other things going on at the time. She had a number of singles that year coming out. I also suspect she was preparing for her tour as well. Maybe her management suggested it could have been "overkill", but I can't imagine a charity event like this would matter? There were a lot of popular artists who were among that song.

Guest ursaminorjim

Sorry. Didn't realize you were such a big fan of "We are the world." I should've been more sensitive.

Sorry. Didn't realize you were such a big fan of "We are the world." I should've been more sensitive.

Has nothing to do with being a "big fan" of the song/project. It's all to do with almost every post you make, you have to always add something negative. Oh but wait... I get it.. You're just "joking" or maybe I just need to "lighten up". Always the same excuse/justification. :manson:

Sorry, but I'm fine! I'm not the one who keeps purposely inserting negative connotations in all of my posts.

Has nothing to do with being a "big fan" of the song/project. It's all to do with almost every post you make, you have to always add something negative. Oh but wait... I get it.. You're just "joking" or maybe I just need to "lighten up". Always the same excuse/justification. :manson:

Sorry, but I'm fine! I'm not the one who keeps purposely inserting negative connotations in all of my posts.

No offense but you sound WAY more bitchy to me than Jim does. :manson:

Guest ursaminorjim

And oddly enough, you make a point of being negative about my opinions in nearly every post you make. Now that's some funny shit. But obviously we have very dissimilar senses of humor.

And you know what? Fuck it - I'm not sorry. A shit song for a good cause is still a shit song.

No offense but you sound WAY more bitchy to me than Jim does. :manson:

Why? Because I make a truthful observation? So that makes me "bitchy"?? In fact, I didn't once use vulgar language, nor a tone that came off "bitchy" or nasty.

Why? Because I make an truthful observation? So that makes me "bitchy"?? In fact, I didn't once use vulgar language, nor a tone that came off "bitchy" or nasty.

you must be the biggest baby on the planet! by the way....

she wasnt invited!

NOT to worry, she was to make her own trash song 20 years later! :clap:

Hey you, it's not so bad...

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

:lol:

It such a cheesy mess of a song.

I'd take Hey You over We Are The World anyday....

Guest ursaminorjim

That's not fair, MadFan! "Hey you," weak as it is, is still a hundred times better than "We are the world."

Although it doesn't have Bob on it.

I think they're pretty equally crap. BUT I can enjoy both once in a while. :)

Guest ursaminorjim
she probably wasn't taken seriously enough at the time.

True. She wasn't the caliber of, say, a Kenny Loggins or a Dan Aykroyd...

Guest ursaminorjim

Yeah, apart from the lyrics.

"Well, tonight thank God it's them insteeeeead of yooooooou..."

:blink:

I've always felt she should have taken Cyndi's place. God her voice in that song :lol:

Guest ursaminorjim
I've always felt she should have taken Cyndi's place. God her voice in that song :lol:

Yeah, but Cyndi nailed it in this one:

Guest Pud Whacker
Was she not at the AMAs, perhaps?

she was at the ama's wearing this and this is how she would have shown up but SHE WAS NOT INVITED. dont believe wikipedia. i was pissed. she had the number single AND album that week and they were so jaded.

7ec32bcb.jpg