GERMaine Greer: "Madonna can't dance or sing"

Guest CUBB

Guest ursaminorjim

*winces*

Oh, it's so painful to watch smart people who've done so much great stuff be reduced to...well, this. :confused:

Erm, i wouldn't go that far.

Agreed. Madonna has merely contributed to the commodification of Feminism by reducing female sexuality to image and appearance so much so that she's become a caricature and a victim of her own making. Hence the need for plastic surgery in her later years and the obsession with staying/looking young. Putting on a lot of make-up and wearing some under garments while talking about your sexual desires for profit is not akin to Feminist assertion. It's akin to prostitution. M is ultimately pandering to the male fantasy of the female stereotype, particularly that of the whore. But this is why so many fans complain about her these days because the 'whore' image only has so much mileage where nothing new can be offered. She's exhausted the stereotype so much that it's all catching up with her. Hence the need for major airbrushing and photoshop in her ad campaigns and videos to make her look sexually desirable, and much of the public see her as laughable regardless of how much money she earns.

She no longer has the confidence and control over her image as she once did which is why she has little do with her ad campaigns nowadays and she makes fewer pop videos. If she presented and discussed an alternative to the traditional Madonna/Whore dichotomy then she might get some credit for advancing the Feminist cause. Unfortunately, she's too busy trying to look young and pretty, or attempting the subversive active male role instead of talking about what it truly means to be a woman in today's culture. Feminism cannot merely focus on image because it defeats the purpose by reducing it to the superficial - there has to be dialogue. I'd love for M to write a book aimed at an adult audience but then she doesn't have the education or the theoretical insight into true Feminism to know where to start. Best to stick to The English Roses rather than The Female Eunuch!

Guest Pud Whacker

^ intellects and artists express themselves in very different ways. i dont want a madonna theory book, thanks but no thanks.

Agreed. Madonna has merely contributed to the commodification of Feminism by reducing female sexuality to image and appearance so much so that she's become a caricature and a victim of her own making. Hence the need for plastic surgery in her later years and the obsession with staying/looking young. Putting on a lot of make-up and wearing some under garments while talking about your sexual desires for profit is not akin to Feminist assertion. It's akin to prostitution. M is ultimately pandering to the male fantasy of the female stereotype, particularly that of the whore. But this is why so many fans complain about her these days because the 'whore' image only has so much mileage where nothing new can be offered. She's exhausted the stereotype so much that it's all catching up with her. Hence the need for major airbrushing and photoshop in her ad campaigns and videos to make her look sexually desirable, and much of the public see her as laughable regardless of how much money she earns.

She no longer has the confidence and control over her image as she once did which is why she has little do with her ad campaigns nowadays and she makes fewer pop videos. If she presented and discussed an alternative to the traditional Madonna/Whore dichotomy then she might get some credit for advancing the Feminist cause. Unfortunately, she's too busy trying to look young and pretty, or attempting the subversive active male role instead of talking about what it truly means to be a woman in today's culture. Feminism cannot merely focus on image because it defeats the purpose by reducing it to the superficial - there has to be dialogue. I'd love for M to write a book aimed at an adult audience but then she doesn't have the education or the theoretical insight into true Feminism to know where to start. Best to stick to The English Roses rather than The Female Eunuch!

So basically, you see her as a dumb, pathetic, old whore. Did I get that right? :thumbsup:

Guest Pud Whacker
Exactly :dramatic:

Germaine Greer is EVERYTHING. I can't believe I wasted so much time on Madonna and Marie Osmond.

:rotfl:

marie-osmond-hairstyles2.jpg

I'd love for M to write a book aimed at an adult audience but then she doesn't have the education or the theoretical insight into true Feminism to know where to start. Best to stick to The English Roses rather than The Female Eunuch!

The farther away from feminist theory Madonna stays, the better. Only those in the very narrow world of academia care about that kind of feminism, and it is not the only "true" feminism anyway.

I wish she'd suffer a similar fate so we'd be spared from the debacles that r her opinion.

I particularly enjoyed her review of the Confessions Tour :chuckle:

Don't mess with the last of the living legends u stupid academic whore.

I swear, she should sow her cuntlips together so she's forever prevented from producing this vaginal flatulence.

There..I just intellectualised my opinion.. :fag:

Commodification of feminism?? oh please give me a break

Madonna releases fewer videos because she has exhausted the stereotype?? wtf! Madonna will still be being sexy when she's Greer's age. M releases fewer videos because there are fewer singles released and an album doesn't stay in the top 20 for 2 yrs anymore. the music industry has changed.

Some people around here have the time to write very long replies but it doesn't stop them from being 100% crap

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy
i would. who gave women, in general, more confidence? greer or madonna?

I had to ask a few woman that. They said Greer.

:lmao:

r u a lesbian or a virgin?

if she was so busy trying to look young and pretty i doubt she'd be seen out in one of the millions of tracksuits she gets papped in. madonna stated herself that she's not a feminist. but as a successful artist and business woman she is an inspiration. she balances family life and being a hard working artist very well. i like that she rarely bothers to comment on such catty remarks because she's above that and she's way too busy getting on with life, rather than procrastinating about someone else's. taking a shot at madonna in a statement about michael is a rather self indulgent and pointless act.

if she was so busy trying to look young and pretty i doubt she'd be seen out in one of the millions of tracksuits she gets papped in. madonna stated herself that she's not a feminist. but as a successful artist and business woman she is an inspiration. she balances family life and being a hard working artist very well. i like that she rarely bothers to comment on such catty remarks because she's above that and she's way too busy getting on with life, rather than procrastinating about someone else's. taking a shot at madonna in a statement about michael is a rather self indulgent and pointless act.

:thumbsup:C write an essay or live it. Now what would b more important, I wonder.

Guest Pud Whacker
I had to ask a few woman that. They said Greer.

now ask outside the brush where dingos dont eat babies. ask italian, french, japanese, american, as-bloody-sryrian sweetie... :lol:

Guest jamesshot

What a dumb-fuck statement to make. Good GOD you would think Madonna was Britney Spears or Janet Jackson in the vocal department the way people drone on about "can't sing or dance". WTF ever.

Guest AshLover1977

Germaine Greer is a twat and will do anything to get press inches.

She's the female version of the Gallagher brothers.

Madonna's not the best singer in the world but she can sing.

Madonna's not the best dancer in the world but she can dance.

What a douche.

Guest Beautiful~Stranger

Greer is a bitter, jealous old bag. I've never liked her and it's mainly because all she does with her time is make stupid comments. She's not much of a feminist, all she does is bitch about other women. Another reason is because of seeing her on Celebrity Big Brother. She makes herself out to be some strong women, but she can't even stay in a house longer than a few days. I'm sure M would just laugh of that comment if she's heard it...

Who the hell is this prune-faced,monstrous-looking,old maid anyway?? She's talking as if it's still 1984,when many critics were dissing Madonna,calling her untalented and predicting that she would fade away soon.It's so satisfying to see that Madonna has proven these losers wrong.

Greer is nothing more than a jealous,old,bitter BITCH.She can't do what Madonna can so she disses her.How clever.

Commodification of feminism?? oh please give me a break

Madonna will still be being sexy when she's Greer's age. M releases fewer videos because there are fewer singles released and an album doesn't stay in the top 20 for 2 yrs anymore. the music industry has changed.

Some people around here have the time to write very long replies but it doesn't stop them from being 100% crap

Unlike Greer, Madonna makes the mistake of getting routine plastic surgery procedures in an attempt to make herself appear 'sexy' as you say mainly to appeal to men. And trust me most straight men I know would not even describe her as attractive let alone sexy. And I'm meant to be convinced that an insecure woman who feels the need to get plastic surgery is a feminist icon? Now who's talking crap? She's just a pop tart with some great songs. It's no deeper than that :)

Unlike Greer, Madonna makes the mistake of getting routine plastic surgery procedures in an attempt to make herself appear 'sexy' as you say mainly to appeal to men. And trust me most straight men I know would not even describe her as attractive let alone sexy. And I'm meant to be convinced that an insecure woman who feels the need to get plastic surgery is a feminist icon? Now who's talking crap? She's just a pop tart with some great songs. It's no deeper than that :)

Bullshit.Madonna is ALOT more than just a "pop tart with some great songs".How dare you downplay her amazing accomplishments and success.If she was just a "pop tart with great songs",she would have faded away with all the other 80s pop tarts like Paula Abdul,Janet Jackson and Debbie Gibson.

You criticize Madonna's plastic surgery while praising the prune-faced,wrinkly old hag Germaine Greer ? :demonic: The truth is,Greer needs to save up some money and have some plastic surgery too.She looks like a monster.

Guest Pud Whacker

and TRUST ME its because theyre NOT in front of her. or they would.

and germaine is an insecure woman. or she would just be. so all your theories are SHYT.

Who gives a shit what she thinks about Madonna anyway?

Another one who wanna make a headline with "Madonna can't dance or sing"

Werid, the "general public" seem to say she only attracts the GAYS...

Well as one gay at the o2 on sunday night, in a sea of 17000 people, there were SHITLOADS of straight blokes, couples, people with their kids...

And the boys at work, they think shes HOT