Guy on touring Australia

cosmic_system

Guest boytoyville

^ Exactly, yes it can be benifical if Live Nation owns a venue but it's not a big deal. The o@ for instance in London is owned by AEG and Madonna opened her first two night of this 09 leg there.

Guest bluejean
the reality is that if Madonna toured at the same time Pink did it would hit her hard.

Madonna would do bigger venues and sell more tickets than P!nk at a higher price. Her absense for 16 years just makes the demand greater.

• 2 weeks later...
Madonna would do bigger venues and sell more tickets than P!nk at a higher price. Her absense for 16 years just makes the demand greater.

You make a valid point, but Vande puts it into perspective.

i don't think she's not touring australia because of the pink success....or for the risk of a loss...she never loose money on a tour, she asks for a salary (4, 5 millions us dollars per concert on average) and that's the point. local promoters can't bear such a cost.

simply her manager (her worst imo) shouldn't make stupid promises....

and why and when an act is an has-been if tours on new countries??

oh my god, my english!!!! :dramatic:

Guest AshLover1977

Madonna and P!nk wouldn't clash as Madonna would do the two big Stadiums here whereas P!nk only sold out arenas.

MCG in Melbourne can fit over 100K and I imagine ANZ Stadium in Sydney would be the same as it was built for the 2000 Olympics.

But if she charges $4.5million per gig no wonder the promoters haven't brought her out here.

You don't think that a lot of fans have just had a gutful of Madonna's broken promises?? I hardly ever hear Madonna on the radio like I used to

I am not sure anymore, she would sell but l think alot of people are over her. She has not had an strong artistic presence in Australia for a long time and radio do not play her much at all, it's only been a media profile and not a positive one (not even a tour broadcast on TV since DW..this used to create a real buzz but now they are not shown or only on pay TV where they are not even noticed).

All Madonna has to do is one interview per album/tour with ROVE live (a weekly entertainment show in Australia) and throw in a live performance and Australia is happy.

Its called bad management and doing things like they have always been done...morning TV interviews is all we got for CT and nothing for HC/S&S.....the gradma's watching dont care...an absolute waste of time and marketing.

I dont even bother defending Madonna anymore, the tide is well and truly anti (mostly based on disinformation but that's the reality). Its such a pity thinking back to the 80's and 90's when Madonna had such a loyal fan base in Australia but never got any radio play, everything still was a success and there was lots of support for her. Granted its a very small population and fan base but still a pity they squandered it.

Guess we will see with the GH.

don't be dramatic guys

Celebration will be played constantly on all the major radio networks specifically the #1 radio network in the country NOVA who played 4 Minutes, Give It 2 Me and even The Beat Goes On in heavy rotation to support Hard Candy. Add to that Vh1, Max and Channel V often having Madonna specials and you will see her everywhere with the greatest hits album

Yes Madonna could pre-record an interview for Rove, will she do it, maybe if enough people annoy Guy about it he can make it happen, it's the least she can do after ignoring Australia for so long

You don't think that a lot of fans have just had a gutful of Madonna's broken promises?? I hardly ever hear Madonna on the radio like I used to

I did an extensive radio survey yesterday (over two hours, but I got paid for it) and they played just about everything they play regularly. The following Madonna songs were included in the survey:

4 Minutes

Hung Up

Don't Tell Me

Beautiful Stranger

Ray of Light

The station that commissioned the survey tends to stick to the last decade for the bulk of their playlist - there wasn't a single 80s track in the survey. Over the past 12 years or so, this particular station has got right behind the following Madonna releases:

The five listed above

Frozen

Nothing Really Matters

American Pie

Music

WIFLFAG

Die Another Day

American Life (yes, seriously)

Sorry

Get Together

Jump

GI2M

One of the major stations in Brisbane plays a brilliant mix of songs from the 80s through to today and they play a heap of Madonna. I've even heard DYU recently.

Someone else commented that radio didn't support Madonna in the 80s and 90s....and someone else said that radio doesn't support her today....does this mean that radio has *never* supported Madonna?! I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Guest FrozenLight
To all my OZ fans,

My stage has been destroyed therefore I can't come.

With Love,

Madge

:smooch:

lol....actually I could imagine her pulling something like this

Guest FrozenLight

I'm sure she would sell very well in Australia but I do think that TIME makes a difference! Some people think that just because someone hasn't been there for years that they would automatically sell-out stadiums many times over. That can be true but sometimes the opposite can happen. Personally I think during the Drowned World Tour she could have gone to ANY place and sell out more than she could imagine. I remember when the tickets for her Staples Center shows went on sell...all people were interested to buy....I mean everyone, from the major fans to the person that just thought that Madonna was ok...she could have sold out the Staples center 10 times over if she wanted to. The same thing applies to many other cities she visited (in fact I think had she played the Barcelona Olympic Stadium back in 2001 she would have sold it quicker than a Ray of Light:-) This year it took a full 4 months to get to 45K o 50K people

What I'm getting to is the over expsure her tours have gotten after touring every 2 years!! It has taken the "magic sense" away from seeing a legend and some people who may never have seen her on tour before actually are over it. I personally know some people who feel that way. This is why I say that her going to Australia does not guarantee that the whole country will go nuts for her just because it's been 16 years...some people are over her, some got older and others don't have that urge anymore. Obviously she will be able to sell lots of tickets either way but it may not be a big as one thinks. On the other hand her shows in places like Brazil and Argentina had that "magic effect"were tickets did go through the roof!!

I think the same scenario happened to her in places like Frankfurt (39K people even though she hadn't toured there since 1987 and Frankfurt is a huge concert market), Berlin (49K...which is good but still lower than one would think for someone of her status). It's like Robbie Williams...he was able to sell-out 2 times the Olympic Stadium in Berlin because he performed there at the right time in his career (if he performs there in 15 years he may be lucky to get 20K people to show-up).

Anyways, just my opinion....not putting her down or anything but just sharing an obversation

I'm sure she would sell very well in Australia but I do think that TIME makes a difference! Some people think that just because someone hasn't been there for years that they would automatically sell-out stadiums many times over. That can be true but sometimes the opposite can happen. Personally I think during the Drowned World Tour she could have gone to ANY place and sell out more than she could imagine. I remember when the tickets for her Staples Center shows went on sell...all people were interested to buy....I mean everyone, from the major fans to the person that just thought that Madonna was ok...she could have sold out the Staples center 10 times over if she wanted to. The same thing applies to many other cities she visited (in fact I think had she played the Barcelona Olympic Stadium back in 2001 she would have sold it quicker than a Ray of Light:-) This year it took a full 4 months to get to 45K o 50K people

What I'm getting to is the over expsure her tours have gotten after touring every 2 years!! It has taken the "magic sense" away from seeing a legend and some people who may never have seen her on tour before actually are over it. I personally know some people who feel that way. This is why I say that her going to Australia does not guarantee that the whole country will go nuts for her just because it's been 16 years...some people are over her, some got older and others don't have that urge anymore. Obviously she will be able to sell lots of tickets either way but it may not be a big as one thinks. On the other hand her shows in places like Brazil and Argentina had that "magic effect"were tickets did go through the roof!!

I think the same scenario happened to her in places like Frankfurt (39K people even though she hadn't toured there since 1987 and Frankfurt is a huge concert market), Berlin (49K...which is good but still lower than one would think for someone of her status). It's like Robbie Williams...he was able to sell-out 2 times the Olympic Stadium in Berlin because he performed there at the right time in his career (if he performs there in 15 years he may be lucky to get 20K people to show-up).

Anyways, just my opinion....not putting her down or anything but just sharing an obversation

* Waiting for Mad_On_Her's retaliation *

:popcorn:

From DWT to SaST Madonna has returned to every little country she'd visited in the past and in toured some places she'd never been before. Australia is a big exception, there must be a reason. I really think europe might get bored of watching her shows and that will make her go to Australia and come back to South America.

During many shows in Buenos Aires, Rio and Sao Paulo, she promissed she wouldn't spend long time away from South America (including the show on the DVD). It's easy for her to come here, since it's a few hours by plane from Miami (where she aways finishes te american tour). She earned so much with few shows and clearly had the best time in this tour. She said many times the south american audience is the best in the world.

From Billboard.biz

Live Revenues Dip Down Under

July 28, 2009 - Global | Touring

By Lars Brandle, Sydney

Australia's live music business in 2008 has slipped back to its mid-decade level but still managed to generate more than $1 billion Australian ($832.7 million) in ticket sales, according to a new report issued by Live Performance Australia.

After years of reporting steady growth, the trade body's latest "Ticket Attendance and Revenue Survey 2008" reveals a national headline figure of $1.06 billion Australian ($882.6 million), well down on the $1.23 billion Australian ($1.02 billion) and $1.16 billion Australian ($965.9 million) reported in the previous two years, a period the LPA describes as "peak years in the current economic cycle."

While the value of the country's live entertainment market shrank by 13.6% compared with the previous year, the volume of tickets fell by a sharper figure, down 24.2% to 15.8 million. The average price of tickets in 2008 actually rose by 16%, to $76.60 Australian ($63.75).

The LPA and its CEO Evelyn Richardson admit the rocky global economic climate spells a tough road ahead. Regardless, she says, these most recent results paint a picture of a dynamic and healthy live marketplace. "Spending by Australians on live performance has remained strong," comments Richardson. "These figures are comparable to trends in other major territories around the world, highlighting the fact that Australia has a world-class live performance industry."

The survey, compiled by accountancy giant Ernst and Young, collated data from a sample of participants including ticketing giants Ticketmaster and Ticketek, and performing arts companies the Australian Ballet and Opera Australia.

The largest revenue generating categories were contemporary music with 37% of the pie, followed by musical theatre with 24%, classical music with 10% and theater with 8%. These four categories accounted for 79% of the total revenue for the year. Ernst and Young admits attendance at festivals and non-classical music events are underreported in the study.

LPA president Andrew Kay remains optimistic the live sector will overcome the hurdles which lie in wait. "We know from experience that our industry is cyclical and the global downturn will have an effect on Australia. However, these are not new challenges for our industry," Kay comments.

"We are looking at ways to sustain our activity across the live performance industry," he adds. "This means finding new and innovative ways to deliver compelling live performance events that will keep attracting audiences, as well as working closely with governments at every level to ensure the ongoing vitality of the live performance industry."

Today's release of the annual ticketing survey coincides with the LPA's annual Helpmann Awards ceremony, held at the Sydney Opera House.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_dis...1e30abf84?imw=Y