A little sidebar discussion regarding the forthcoming compilation.

Mattress

I had a little time tonight and finally attempted a realistic stab at a track listing for a two disc career overview. Everything was working itself out frighteningly well until I arrived at that troubling first release of 2003.

Personally, I like "American Life". It's not the monster that many claim(ed) it to be. Still, it doesn't necessarily rank high on my list of favorite Madonna singles. For one, whatever your thoughts on her rapping abilities are, "I'm drinkin' a soy latte'" does not hold up to repeat listens the way that "Greta Garbo and Monroe..." has. And I promise that this has nothing to do with my painful, so fucking painful avoidance of all things caffeine. :lol:

The temptation is to not include it, instead representing the American Life era with "Die Another Day" and possibly Stuart "Jacques Lu Cont" Price's Thin White Duck Edit remix of "Hollywood". (Justification on the latter: It has the MTV Awards kiss familiarity factor, and I figure --like Armand Van Helden's dubbish reworking of Tori Amos' "Professional Widow" on her best of-- the lack of the proper chorus is acceptable. It feels like its own little song now anyway and actually fits well alongside the other hits from that era.)

So... hypothetically speaking... would you be outraged or relieved if Madonna's forthcoming hits package omitted "American Life"? Speak your mind. Be persuasive.

Guest Danny86

I never disliked the song, but I admit it would look weird next to all those other hits. Not because it was a "flop", but because it would be crammed between the likes of "Music", "Hung Up" & "Frozen", some of those instant classics. The same way I have doubts about including "Erotica", though that one was a hit of its time, and initially sold well, but I guess it's another discussion. :p

I do think the "Hollywood" remix would be a better idea, it was basically the prelude to the COADF era with Stuart mixing it, she also used this version on the RIT and was included on the live CD, so most likely became more popular than the album version.

But in the end, I think Madonna's own choices are going to ruin the concept of a perfect hits compilation. You can bet she's going to include "Human Nature" again, and I can see her choosing "Nothing Fails" & "Miles Away" as well to give them some more exposure, being her favs and all...

I think "American Life" should not be included. It's not a case of "Bedtime Story" or "Human Nature," in the sense that songs may not have been huge huge hits but they genuinely were Madonna fan favourites; there is just such a disdain for "American Life" amongst the public and the fanbase and I'm sure Madonna is perceptive enough to know it. It's just not a very well-written song. She may not have seen that in 2003 but hindsight is a wonderful song and I think she can see it now.

If "Hollywood" is to be included, then it should be in the form of the Thin White Duck but with more verses and the chorus slapped into it. But I think that the best thing to do is to include "Die Another Day" and that's that. Jump straight to "Hung Up" next and just ignore that little chapter altogether.

yes. american life is a great song. its the WAR SONG video that killed it.

Wow, I feel the exact opposite way.

Great video, awful song. And it was so painfully obvious. I'm sure that had she not pulled the video it'd have been a far bigger hit because of the video factor alone. That 'flags' monstrosity showed up the song for the hot mess that it was.

I think "American Life" should not be included. It's not a case of "Bedtime Story" or "Human Nature," in the sense that songs may not have been huge huge hits but they genuinely were Madonna fan favourites; there is just such a disdain for "American Life" amongst the public and the fanbase and I'm sure Madonna is perceptive enough to know it. It's just not a very well-written song. She may not have seen that in 2003 but hindsight is a wonderful song and I think she can see it now.

It took me awhile to sort out why I perceived the lower charting Bedtime Stories singles differently than the ever-increasing amount of latter day 'flops'. It's because they were MTV staples during its heyday. Hell, "Bedtime Story" was an event... so, regardless of radio, they were still given a healhy amount of exposure and are "known" even outside of her fanbase.

It's a shame artists no longer have that outlet.

Guest Pud Whacker
Wow, I feel the exact opposite way.

Great video, awful song. And it was so painfully obvious. I'm sure that had she not pulled the video it'd have been a far bigger hit because of the video factor alone. That 'flags' monstrosity showed up the song for the hot mess that it was.

i respect that but man that song is so great, its 4 in one and that 3 minute fade out is out of this world. that video is such shyt to me.

Guest Pud Whacker
It took me awhile to sort out why I perceived the lower charting Bedtime Stories singles differently than the ever-increasing amount of latter day 'flops'. It's because they were MTV staples during its heyday. Hell, "Bedtime Story" was an event... so, regardless of radio, they were still given a healhy amount of exposure and are "known" even outside of her fanbase.

totally.

i respect the song but i dont love it. its still madonna so its still clever.

BUT....is anyone CERTAIN that the upcoming is a compilation as in a GHV3 ???

OR is it an ANTHOLOGY ? What is the format theme? If it is an anthology, that usualy is done

at the tale end of a career, its usualy a warning sign..so i hope its not MADONNA : ANTHOLOGY.

I don't think that 'American Life' is awful, it is actually a pretty decent song; nevertheless, I wouldn't like it to be included on her GH album. 'DAD' or the remix of 'Hollywood' would be better choices IMO

Guest Danny86

That's true. I wonder if Madonna hadn't pulled "American Life", it would have at least become a MTV hit... Of course MTV of 2003 was not the same as 1995, but in Europe they still played a lot of videos.

If it is an anthology, that usualy is done at the tale end of a career, its usualy a warning sign..so i hope its not MADONNA : ANTHOLOGY.

SIGNED

Couldn't agree more. Anthology is like a career ending curse.

Guest Danny86
BUT....is anyone CERTAIN that the upcoming is a compilation as in a GHV3 ???

OR is it an ANTHOLOGY ? What is the format theme? If it is an anthology, that usualy is done

at the tale end of a career, its usualy a warning sign..so i hope its not MADONNA : ANTHOLOGY.

Nope, nobody is certain about that because there were absolutely no official details revealed about the project. The only thing definite is that Guy Oseary asked request from fans on Twitter, and you can bet most of them did not limit to 2002-2008 and I think "Dress You Up" was among the most requested, not surprisingly.

Die Another Day

American Life

Hollywood (Stuart remix edit)

Hung Up

Sorry

Get Together

Jump

4 Minutes

Give It 2 Me

Miles Away

Broken (I'm Sorry)

Celebrate

Revolver (?)

She has not too many choices for a GHV3.Maybe she can add "Beat Goes On" too.

I think the tracklist should jump from Die Another Day to Hung Up for a smoother, cleaner flow, I like the idea of Hollywood appearing in a remixed form.

The only place American Life should appear is on any future music video compilation

American Pie should not be on the new greatest hits and I hope Madonna ignores it a second time.

No. Absolutely NOT.

The only circumstance I can see would be using the Felix Da Housecat mix - which I actually enjoy. The original "American Life" song is an abortion in my opinion. I still can't even believe someone with the genius pop sensibilities of Madonna would write something like this. I would even feel better if one day she admitted the song was a inside joke between her in Mirwais. Even if she personally called me and said, "Nightshade, I wrote it as a FUCK YOU to your fickle opinions!" I would still feel better knowing she didn't seriously expect this song to do well.

Guest Danny86
I would even feel better if one day she admitted the song was a inside joke between her in Mirwais. Even if she personally called me and said, "Nightshade, I wrote it as a FUCK YOU to your fickle opinions!" I would still feel better knowing she didn't seriously expect this song to do well.

:lmao:

Well at least she admitted that the rap was Mirwais' idea:

Basically, we had recorded the whole song and we had this instrumental thing at the end and Mirwais [Ahmadzai, producer] was like, "You know what, you have to go and do a rap." And I was like, "Get out of here, I don't rap." And he was like, "Yeah you do. Just go in there, just do it." He totally encouraged me. I had nothing planned, nothing written, and he just told me to do stream-of-consciousness, whatever I was thinking. Because I was always drinking soy lattes in the studio, and I drive my Mini Cooper to the studio, I was just like, "OK, let me just talk about the things that I like." So I went and it was just total improv and obviously it was sloppy at first, but I got out all my thoughts and then I wrote everything down that I said and then I perfected the timing of it. So it was totally spontaneous.

I do think Madonna and Warners expected the single and the album sell on the back of the video hype/controversy.

It's true. "American Life" is of a B-side/unreleased song quality; in the same shelf as stuff like "Keep the Trance" or "Superpop". The fact that it was on the album and let alone be the first single is absolutely baffling. I understand the 'huge statement' factor, and thus it could only have been a single but if anything it proves just how lost in the K-hole she was at the time. Completely clueless. And very telling how the album was called Hollywood until the last minute. I wonder if this was some little aide/minion/Kabbalah advisor's clever little suggestion in the end. :manson:

Basically, we had recorded the whole song and we had this instrumental thing at the end and Mirwais [Ahmadzai, producer] was like, "You know what, you have to go and do a rap." And I was like, "Get out of here, I don't rap." And he was like, "Yeah you do. Just go in there, just do it." He totally encouraged me. I had nothing planned, nothing written, and he just told me to do stream-of-consciousness, whatever I was thinking. Because I was always drinking soy lattes in the studio, and I drive my Mini Cooper to the studio, I was just like, "OK, let me just talk about the things that I like." So I went and it was just total improv and obviously it was sloppy at first, but I got out all my thoughts and then I wrote everything down that I said and then I perfected the timing of it. So it was totally spontaneous.

:lmao:

As if we needed any more proof that Madonna doesn't do spontaneous very well.

Yes, it should. Personally I like it, as Pud mentioned it's lots of songs in one, it has a pre-chorus and a chorus which I'm a sucker for.

I'm probably reading too much into it but I love the way different voices are used to allude to different meanings. The rap is great, it's playful and tongue-in-cheek. Lyrically, even though it's simple, it can be read in many ways, I especially love "I'd like to express my extreme point of view, I'm not a Christian and I'm not a Jew", it's so simple yet so pertinent to both her personal situation and the general political / religious situation of the last decade or so.

like the song and Love the video, just don't think the gerneral public gives a shit much less some fans about it.

Depends on who their gonna market the Greatests hits towards Fans? Public? Both? or the Nearest trash Can?

The fact that it was on the album and let alone be the first single is absolutely baffling. I understand the 'huge statement' factor, and thus it could only have been a single but if anything it proves just how lost in the K-hole she was at the time. Completely clueless. And very telling how the album was called Hollywood until the last minute. I wonder if this was some little aide/minion/Kabbalah advisor's clever little suggestion in the end. :manson:

I can actually see Madonna choosing "American Life" as the title and first single at the end of the album process simply so she could rail against the invasion of Iraq - which is a bad case of statement superseding the art itself. A noble idea, but obviously it back-fired.

I guess I shouldn't harp too much on the song as I do like the original, uncut video - which we wouldn't have without the song itself.

The only circumstance I can see would be using the Felix Da Housecat mix - which I actually enjoy. The original "American Life" song is an abortion in my opinion.

Although I like the original, I think the "Felix Da Housecat Mix" is far superior, and it would fit nicely on the compilation.

:)

I like American Life, but I think because of the whole video controversy, they won't include it. I wouldn't mind if they included it, but I think they'll just include Die Another Day and maybe the Hollywood remix. I'll be shocked if they include American Life.

I like the song, one of my favourites. Though, I originally heard an edited version of it and it was so much better than the one on the album. Her performance of it in RIT was awesome.

Definitely one of the most controversial M songs of this decade...

The song + video were much talked about all over the world when it was released/censored and they still divides fans...

Whether you like or dislike this era, it's definitely a part of M's history in music

Should definitely be in this CD, imo!

If the compilation is a Greatest Hits spanning her entire career then I don't think it should be included. If it's a GHV3 type thing then I guess it would kind of have to be on there as there aren't many options. If it's an anthology type thing that spans her whole career then it would be nice to see it and other not very big hits (Everybody, Burning Up etc) on there as well.

Guest Danny86
I can actually see Madonna choosing "American Life" as the title and first single at the end of the album process simply so she could rail against the invasion of Iraq - which is a bad case of statement superseding the art itself. A noble idea, but obviously it back-fired.

I think that would be the only logical explanation of using such song as the lead-off single, with a theme that doesn't even fit the rest of the album.

Only slightly comparable, but Shep said the Dita image and the SEX book inspired Madonna to rewrite the "Erotica" single from the "You Thrill Me" version, which was a lot less explicit originally. That album had other songs to lead it, but "Erotica" was the song that fit the image the most. Which also backfired, because it was dismissed as a "sex album"... The first Shep sessions were called Rain Tapes, I wonder if they wanted "Rain" as a lead off single at some point...