Sonic Youth lash out at Madonna

loomer

I really love when people post insults or criticisms of Madonna in this forum. It's like watching fisherman chum the water for Great Whites.

Somewhat surprising, considering Ciccone Youth and all that. Also I don't think Madonna's ever been sexy like Britney, they're very different; Madonna's sexiness lies in power, it's an aggressive type of sexiness. Kim's essentially condemning herself and other, ahem, middle aged, women in denying M. Sad.

I have to disagree there. Britney wishes she was as sexy as Madonna was in the "Like A Virgin" video. Madonna was smoking' HOT there. However Madonna moved on to challenge society's idea's of what a woman should or should not do.

I have to disagree there. Britney wishes she was as sexy as Madonna was in the "Like A Virgin" video. Madonna was smoking' HOT there. However Madonna moved on to challenge society's idea's of what a woman should or should not do.

I think you've misunderstood me. Of course Madonna's always been sexy, but not in the same way as Britney. Britney's sexiness lies (or at least used to) in an reasonably passive, naive, Lolita-eseque, objectifiable way. That's something Madonna's sexiness has never been.

Guest ursaminorjim
Pity they never reviewed Ciccone Youth like they said they would, must have been a misprint

Where does it say they'd review Ciccone Youth?

Ayway, I half-agree with Kim, but it's just a tossed off comment. Far from a "lashing out." :lol:

Guest Pud Whacker

Ayway, I half-agree with Kim, but it's just a tossed off comment. Far from a "lashing out." :lol:

well, ive always said, kim looked like the garbage can madonna was rustling through in 1980, so fair is fair. :rotfl:

Guest ursaminorjim

Ha! Granted - she may never be as glamorous as Madonna, but she will always be cooler.

Guest Pud Whacker
Ha! Granted - she may never be as glamorous as Madonna, but she will always be cooler.

one mans wine is another mans poison. i love kim and sonic youth. however, kim is cool is that obvious way. its the difference between the purple tree that screams fall on the east coast and subtlety one has to look for fall on the west coast. kim is that purple tree.

Guest ursaminorjim

Hardly. Some people are just inherently, intuitively "cool." And that's usually borne out of being confident and simply not caring what other people think. I mean, not many people can bridge the gap between Transgressive Cinema and Urban Outfitters and come out both completely unscathed and still relelvant. Which is not to say that Madonna isn't cool (or hasn't been in the past). But she's more cool by association than by nature, lately. But I agree with you that Madonna has an innate coolness, regardless.

Guest Pud Whacker
Hardly. Some people are just inherently, intuitively "cool." And that's usually borne out of being confident and simply not caring what other people think. I mean, not many people can bridge the gap between Transgressive Cinema and Urban Outfitters and come out both completely unscathed and still relelvant. Which is not to say that Madonna isn't cool (or hasn't been in the past). But she's more cool by association than by nature.

please lets not pretend here that kim gordon doesnt care about how she looks or being thought of as cool. for me, madonna is cool by nature.

playboy_madonna_last_stapled_issue_Scan1

End of the third scan where they talk about Madonna, it says see sidebar for where they review their side projects. Although come to think about it, they mentioned The Whitey Album there so no need to review it and were referring to their other side projects.

it's just a tossed off comment. Far from a "lashing out." :lol:

Indeed, but I just went with what they used in the lede for the article - see first scan.

Guest ursaminorjim
Who?????

If your not remembered by the masses, you may aswell never have existed.

Where's the :megaeyeroll: smiley again?

Guest ursaminorjim

Well, throw some of your work online!

And you're about as fat as that Robert Pattinson as far as your pictures have shown. Relax.

If I dont lose 50 lbs by Christmas Im jumping off a bridge and starting again in the next life!!! I swear!!!

Tell me about it! :grr:

I've been back in ano mode for a while now, and the results haven't been as dramatic as I would like. Regular exercise + drinking lots of water really seems to be the key. Must get back to the gym as diet alone isn't enough.

Are you REALLY that naive? A man of your age?!!!

What could be more cool than Cinema of transgression? Lets face it, Kim is culturally relevant majorly to people who avidly spend time posing in shops that still sell vinyls or who study Pitchfork for what is worth loving and loathing and the people who smoke a lot of pot to aid their enjoyment of music. But if she had a much broader, much riskier and much more accepted appeal anything she was involved in would come off as less cool. Thats because being known is being prone. Being open is being a target. Anyone who references coolness and is so hyper away of it, just is not it. Never will be.

I couldn't care if Madonna was the most uncool twat ever. If she is, put me down for the army of entire uncoolness!!! When I've thought about what I want to do with my work in the future I have actually struggled between making a product that will be consumed by the masses in order to get a message across, or a product that will be enjoyed on a higher level with a much smaller number of people. Now I realise that is utter bullshit. I want everybody to love what I do and to listen to the message that I'm bringing and that is what art is about! That is what my art is about. REAL ART. Real art doesn't preen itself in mirrors...invisible or not. Get your head out of your arse. Sonic Youth are a great musical outfit who have made and do make great music. The innate coolness that you see in them is based on image and function. Of course we can never understand the greater balance of the two in ANY artist, but these arguments over who is cool are just a fucking joke. Sorry.

Well said :thumbsup: